AppStar Financial

www.appstar.net

AppStar Financial Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Mark S. Leibowitz

Was a good experiance. Was lucky to have a good sales manager

Merchant Consultant (Former Employee) Central Valley, CA

ProsFlexibility, you reap what you sew. simple

Consalot of driving, you pay your own gas

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Micro-management at its finest

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGood commissions when they are earned. Solid product line. Preset appointments. Flexibility with your schedule, though there's some attitude that goes with it (not a big deal, just be prepared).

ConsGet ready to be micro-managed. You will tell your sales manager literally every single thing you do right down to when you wish to go to lunch. Every stop you make, you call. Before you leave, you call. Then you will be directed to go BACK to a dead appointment and try again, and again, and again, even though YOU are in the field and your manager is 1200 miles away in California. Maybe that would be ok if you were on salary and had an expense account and benefits... but you're really an independent contractor who is treated like an entry level minimum wage employee.

And the sales process itself is so shady. You are told to "sell yourself" and "nothing is more important than the prospect liking you" (right in their training materials word for word). This is true, because you won't be able to quote the prospect a rate or give them details. Your job really is just to smile/flirt/shake hands with the prospect and stand there like a dummy while all the decisions are made in California by a sales manager. You are required to collect their documents and call your manager at least 2 times in every single appointment. If you have a prospect that is in the LEAST bit sophisticated and wants to shop rates or has another offer, forget it. They absolutely WILL NOT let you quote a rate, ever. They want to "cherry pick" the prospects who are what sales people call "lay downs". The sales manager will be attempting to maximize the revenue to the firm by *just barely undercutting what the client is already paying, and if he is rate shopping the company will NOT offer a rate. You're supposed to overcome the objection of "what is your rate, I'd like to know what I'm paying before I spend an hour on your application and hand you an application fee". If you cannot, so sorry, go to the next business. Well, actually not, you'll be told to go back in over and over and attempt to convince the prospect that he should fill out your application (and pay an application fee which is most of your commission) BEFORE you can get an offer from corporate. Though your sales manager is 1200 miles away at a desk, he will assume you just didn't try hard enough or are not a good salesperson and can't read the energy of the conversation and just demand you keep going back in to keep trying. You better be ready to embarrass yourself with grace and dignity.

They will provide a couple appointments per day, which is very nice, but the prospects will often have low interest. Right in your training you will hear a real telemarketer practically beg to set an appointment with a prospect who had zero interest in the product. The prospect's energy was essentially "I have massive anxiety, I don't want to deal with these technical things, I don't like sales people, I don't want to talk to anyone, What do I have to say to get off the phone without just hanging up on you?" The telemarketer charged right through and set the appointment. The company praises this type of sales call. These are the types of calls you will be on at least some of the time; an appointment is set but it's often only set to get the telemarketer to hang up the phone. Can a sale be made in a shop like that? Sure. Is it a high percentage? No. Is it the company's time and money spent going there? No, it's yours.

If you have NO experience in sales and just want to experience rejection and the HARD close, and you get a real charge out of making the TOUGH sales, this is your chance. It's also possibly a sales job for someone more interested in socializing with business owners than in developing a salesmanship skill, because you are not empowered to be a professional whatsoever. You are just there to schmooze. But if you want to maximize your earnings as a PROFESSIONAL, look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using contractors. Just let the telemarketers transfer the prospects directly to the sales managers in California. Either that, or empower the people on the streets to act as professional sales people instead of treating them like muppets on a string.

Great Intro to Sales!

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsBooked appointments for sales reps, 1-1 coaching from manager, as much involvement as you require, time off is available

ConsIt's credit card processing...it can be a brutal business

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep honesty and integrity top notch! Make sure to process at rates quoted!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outside Sales Consultant

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsI am making a really good income and I can work as many hours a day as I want. My sales manager helps me to close my sales.

ConsSometimes people set appointments to talk about our service when they're not really serious.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have paid training.

A great opportunity to make money and learn about financial services

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe appointments are already set for me
    Help with closing sales
    We save our customers money

ConsThis industry is competitive
    Some of the bad competition gives all processors a bad name

Good introductory experience to sales

Client Consultant (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsAppStar Financial will train you, provide ongoing sales training and get you started. The rest is up to you. They are great at ongoing support and keeping you on track with your goals.

ConsIt's sales, so there are the typical cons as far as outside sales are concerned. The credit card industry is riddled with people that will flat out lie to get the deal...Beware if you're asked or encouraged to lie or "just don't tell the whole truth."

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only advice that I have is uphold your integrity. Lying only hurts the people out in the field...Bad news travels quickly and thus they don't get any referrals.

Spinning your Wheels!

Client Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- 2-3 leads per day provided by company
    - good income potential presented by HR
    - paid Rep for completed sales next day after installed.
    - no cost training (training completed by a group training call)
    - no charge-backs

Cons- Bad Leads
    - Manager not always available to help close deals (on phone helping other Reps)
    - Target customers have been lied to by other companies prior to you trying to close them
    - Asked to sale at a high profit margin. I wasn't allowed to get the deal if I had a merchant on the fence!

Advice to Senior ManagementMust improve leads! It was clear that some leads were not scrubbed properly. Felt like the call center got credit for booking a lead (Good or Bad). You cannot send a Rep to a location without first confirming the address! I had a number of these type leads. Also had a manager (Freudian slip) tell me that I had to work like hell to get 10 deals/month!!! What? I didn't sign up for 10 deals per month!

Not exactly what you think by the job description

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsAppointments set by Corporate. If you get a good manager, it can make all the difference. If you get a jackass that you don't mesh with, ask for a change immediately or get out, you won't get anywhere spinning your wheels with someone like that.

ConsMore than half of the appointments are bogus or have no potential. There's A LOT of driving. Commissions are substantially less than the given examples. Not much chance to have that much profit in a deal which if there was, it would be accurate.

Advice to Senior ManagementTone down your job description and commission calculation examples, they only set everyone up for disappointment and failure. Don't reward the call center for setting bogus appointments.

Fair. They could do a lot more with residual compensation than they do. Difficult products to pitch.

Field Representative (Current Employee)

ProsWhen you can make a sale, the short-term compensation is decent. Independence is great. The money can be good if you hustle and develop your own leads beyond the appointments they give (which you should not rely on). Company support is pretty good, if you produce. An A+ rated company with the BBB, but lots of complaints registered. Better than most processing companies, which are crooked.

ConsThe appointments they give you are usually lousy. Typical week you might have 12 appointments and maybe 3-4 are decent. Products are marked way up compared to the competition. Company is very slow to move with changing technology.

Advice to Senior Managementget with the modern times! develop a decent residual program!

My experience with Appstar has been fine.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsIndependent contractor, company books appointments, good coaching from management.

ConsNot always very easy to make bonus, company offers no mileage benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider mileage benefits.

Worked for AppStar Financial? Contribute to the Community!