Appalachian Mountain Club Reviews

John D. Judge

1. Still Love It Here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues who are smart and talented and driven. Lots of amazing initiatives to improve what we're doing, inside and out. Benefits reflect the culture and values. Emphasis - in office culture and in our work - on families and enjoying the outdoors. Quirky old office on Beacon Hill (centrally located, homey feel). Though not everyone has felt this way, I feel I have both responsibility and agency in my role - this has not always been the case in previous positions.

Cons

Busy times get really busy with a small staff. Be prepared to wear many hats, share space and tough it through leaner times. This seems to be the case for many nonprofits, but it's worth mentioning. Quirky old office on Beacon Hill (it's three brownstones joined by a web of stairs - there are downsides). We're never outdoors as much as we'd like to be. It can be hard to affect change.

More professional development opportunities like the ones offered recently. Keep listening when we say we can't do more with less - sometimes we're already at rock-bottom in more than one way.

2. Crew

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club

Pros

Fantastic working environment and company

Cons

There are no cons workig for the AMC

Some of the best and most hard-working people I've ever worked with!

Former Employee - Backcountry Caretaker in Gorham, NH
    Former Employee - Backcountry Caretaker in Gorham, NH

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people who are truly passionate about the outdoors, it was a pleasure to work with the AMC for two seasons. The location was A+, my office was in the woods, my commute was on a trail, my co-workers were friends. They put a lot of effort into training their employees, and really invest in them for the long-run.

Cons

The hourly wage wasn't great, but living costs were extremely low and the job was rewarding.

Location, Location, Location

I have been working at Appalachian Mountain Club

Pros

-Great mission
    -Like minded people about the outdoors and recreation
    -Sometime fun working environment
    -Absolutely breathtaking locations and outdoor opportunities
    -Competitive/expected starting pays and benefits
    -Free membership and lodging stays

Cons

-Low moral found at many destinations
    -Very limited opportunity for advancement
    -Poor mid-level management
    -Lack of attention, support, and guidance from upper level management
    -Tight budgets and under staffing

6. Great People

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time

Pros

Loved the people I met. Everyone was very passionate.

Cons

They pay about as much as you would expect them to. Fair but nothing special

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The AMC has an amazingly diverse array of work areas. Volunteer management, outdoor trips, hospitality, conservation, trail work, development, working with kids and urban youth - it's an incredibly multi-faceted organization. The staff are really dedicated to the mission and the work. Depending on your job, most managers are good at being flexible with work schedule and adapting your work location, schedule, and responsibilities more than is typical at other work places. There are a lot of growth opportunities for staff who start at the bottom or middle in the organization.

Cons

Depending on work location and manager, morale can be very low. Starting pay seems egregiously low for the non-profit industry, and often it seems that the most talented young staff leave the organization after a pretty short tenure. The upper level management is well-intentioned but can be tone-deaf and very insulated from the concerns and experiences of the less-experienced and lower-ranked staff. If you report to a middle manager, your work experience can be hit or miss -- some middle managers are great, but there are a lot of middle managers who are just weak at managing people. And it doesn't seem like the organization is concerned about this or doing much to address it.

Management is doing a great job of pushing the organization along in accomplishing the goals of our ambitious Vision 2020 plan. But there seems to be dangerously little attention paid to the work environment and culture for staff. I would compare the AMC to a high school in which teachers and administrators are incredibly focused on (and successful at) getting their students to score well on state exams and get accepted at college, but those same teachers and administrators aren't paying attention to the fact that students are stressed, not sleeping, and aren't developing a strong moral code and personal identity. How we accomplish our aims is just as important as what aims we accomplish. Management would do well to invest time, money and care into the development of a positive staff culture.

8. Inspiring, energetic

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club as a contractor

Pros

Good benefits and perks, active outdoors culture and enthusiasm for environmental protection. Amazing location.

Cons

Low compensation, work-life balance off at times.

9. Good Cause

I have been working at Appalachian Mountain Club

Pros

Flexible, Fun, Friendly, Fast Paced, Free

Cons

Can't Really Think of Any.

10. A passionate group with a great mission

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Every single employee at the Appalachian Mountain Club actually knows, understands, and works passionately towards our mission of outdoor recreation, conservation, and education. It affords you the opportunity to wear many hats, have your ideas be recognized, and work on projects with tangible results. Everyone is approachable, including the entire executive team. I have cross-country skied and hiked with our president, and it feels just like spending time with your average coworker. No pomp or circumstance surrounds the leadership. Amazing benefits and great work/life balance.

Just make sure you are passionate about the outdoors and the mission because you are not going to be happy if you take this job for the pay. There's also not a lot of room for advancement unless somebody leaves.

Cons

Below average pay. It's a constant uphill battle working for a non-profit on a mission that becomes harder every day.

Budget is tight, but don't implement archaic systems that are more trouble than they're worth. The median membership age is growing steadily, so we absolutely need to try some new, fresh tactics of attracting a younger, less affluent crowd.

11. To this day, one of the best workplaces I have ever heard of

Former Employee - Caretaker/Hutmaster in Twin Mountain, NH
    Former Employee - Caretaker/Hutmaster in Twin Mountain, NH

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work - life balance. Absolutely delightful, passionate, fun-loving, hard-working people. Fantastic opportunity to meet a huge variety of people from tourists to politicians. A fantastic mission of education, conservation, and recreation.

Cons

You will not get money-rich, but you will get life-rich. It's really hard to think of a con. I suppose if you are looking for a desk job then this is certainly not for you. I've gone on hikes and participated in a wide variety of adventures with every level of management in this organization.

Keep up the good work and never forget that you are there to conserve the beauty and help others experience it.