Appalachian Mountain Club

4.1

John D. Judge

Inspiring, energetic

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club as a contractor

Pros

Good benefits and perks, active outdoors culture and enthusiasm for environmental protection. Amazing location.

Cons

Low compensation, work-life balance off at times.

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time for more than a year

Pros

The AMC has an amazingly diverse array of work areas. Volunteer management, outdoor trips, hospitality, conservation, trail work, development, working with kids and urban youth - it's an incredibly multi-faceted organization. The staff are really dedicated to the mission and the work. Depending on your job, most managers are good at being flexible with work schedule and adapting your work location, schedule, and responsibilities more than is typical at other work places. There are a lot of growth opportunities for staff who start at the bottom or middle in the organization.

Cons

Depending on work location and manager, morale can be very low. Starting pay seems egregiously low for the non-profit industry, and often it seems that the most talented young staff leave the organization after a pretty short tenure. The upper level management is well-intentioned but can be tone-deaf and very insulated from the concerns and experiences of the less-experienced and lower-ranked staff. If you report to a middle manager, your work experience can be hit or miss -- some middle managers are great, but there are a lot of middle managers who are just weak at managing people. And it doesn't seem like the organization is concerned about this or doing much to address it.

Management is doing a great job of pushing the organization along in accomplishing the goals of our ambitious Vision 2020 plan. But there seems to be dangerously little attention paid to the work environment and culture for staff. I would compare the AMC to a high school in which teachers and administrators are incredibly focused on (and successful at) getting their students to score well on state exams and get accepted at college, but those same teachers and administrators aren't paying attention to the fact that students are stressed, not sleeping, and aren't developing a strong moral code and personal identity. How we accomplish our aims is just as important as what aims we accomplish. Management would do well to invest time, money and care into the development of a positive staff culture.

Good Cause

I have been working at Appalachian Mountain Club

Pros

Flexible, Fun, Friendly, Fast Paced, Free

Cons

Can't Really Think of Any.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A passionate group with a great mission

Current Employee - Marketing Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Every single employee at the Appalachian Mountain Club actually knows, understands, and works passionately towards our mission of outdoor recreation, conservation, and education. It affords you the opportunity to wear many hats, have your ideas be recognized, and work on projects with tangible results. Everyone is approachable, including the entire executive team. I have cross-country skied and hiked with our president, and it feels just like spending time with your average coworker. No pomp or circumstance surrounds the leadership. Amazing benefits and great work/life balance.

Just make sure you are passionate about the outdoors and the mission because you are not going to be happy if you take this job for the pay. There's also not a lot of room for advancement unless somebody leaves.

Cons

Below average pay. It's a constant uphill battle working for a non-profit on a mission that becomes harder every day.

Budget is tight, but don't implement archaic systems that are more trouble than they're worth. The median membership age is growing steadily, so we absolutely need to try some new, fresh tactics of attracting a younger, less affluent crowd.

To this day, one of the best workplaces I have ever heard of

Former Employee - Caretaker/Hutmaster  in  Twin Mountain, NH
    Former Employee - Caretaker/Hutmaster in Twin Mountain, NH

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent work - life balance. Absolutely delightful, passionate, fun-loving, hard-working people. Fantastic opportunity to meet a huge variety of people from tourists to politicians. A fantastic mission of education, conservation, and recreation.

Cons

You will not get money-rich, but you will get life-rich. It's really hard to think of a con. I suppose if you are looking for a desk job then this is certainly not for you. I've gone on hikes and participated in a wide variety of adventures with every level of management in this organization.

Keep up the good work and never forget that you are there to conserve the beauty and help others experience it.

Great people to work with, great location to pursue outdoor interrests

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Gorham, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gorham, NH

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club

Pros

location, location...great prodeals, love the outdoors, good benefits

Cons

wages are low, no career ladder, dont seem to value there workers

appreciate the people that work there

Passionate employees supporting an essential mission.

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club

Pros

Passionate employees supporting an essential mission.

Cons

Low salaries lead to employee's leaving.

Increase salaries to retain employees.

A great organization with some expanding pains

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club

Pros

Multi-faceted work in beautiful outdoor locations. Chance to learn many different skills. Good opportunities for advancement to management. Occasional free swag. Wonderful social and networking opportunities. Sense of fun and pride among staff.

Cons

Meager pay. Lack of transparency within company headquarters. Recent expansion efforts seem to be badly affecting the spirit of the organization. Not many career opportunities.

The accord between seasonal and senior staff must improve. In addition, employee benefits should not be slashed, as the pay is already quite low.

Worked for Appalachian Mountain Club? Contribute to the Community!