Appalachian Underwriters

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
2.7

Bob Arowood

I loved my job at AUI when I worked there. But now I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Former Employee - WC Collections Representative in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - WC Collections Representative in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was cross trained in several departments to learn more about the company. I was a dedicated employee and helped anyone when asked.

Cons

After working there for almost 7 years and the dedication I put into AUI, one person had it in for me and let me go for medical reasons I couldn't control. I had to have several life threatening surgeries and was let go for it. Employees and myself were shocked when I was let go. I would not recommend anyone to work for AUI.

AUI should do more extensive interviews and background checks on management people they hire. Hiring people with no experience then giving them more pay than employees who were with the company for years and weren't getting raises is wrong.. AUI should give long time employees their raises before hiring others with no experience making more money. It's not right... After I was let go for medical reasons, I didn't even receive unemployment benefits and was told I would but was denied... It's hard to find a job when a certain management person gives you a bad reference when this person knows nothing about dedication and hard work I put into the company.

Just Don't

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

8am to 5pm position and was an easy commute from where I live. They have a very nice building which they do try and keep nice.

Cons

They have a huge turn over due to the fact that they don't train well and the company is family owned so if you don't know the family or are a part of the family; your opportunity to move up the ladder is slim to none. They are not fair in how they hire or let an employee go.

Training needs a lot of improvement after all, your employees are supposed to be an investment and a positive addition to the company. In my experience the training is very little and the employees are throw away if they don't conform to the warped world of this company.

Do your homework before taking a job with this company.

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I did not need the benefits, therefore, I cannot speak about that. A majority of my co-workers are awesome people. These are people working in the same capacity/job title as myself.

Cons

Our department has been yelled at, threatened with our jobs, called "C class" employees. Told repeatedly Tennessee is a right to work state and we can be fired without notice. Management in this department rules by intimidation. I have 15 years experience in my line of work and I have never seen such disregard It has been one of the worst experiences of my career. Those of us who work hard do not get recognized. Slouches do! Very sad.

Please do not promote unqualified people. It ruins the entire department. Managers should have management experience and be required to attend continuing education. Management should be experienced and approachable. It is, after all, employees in your department that allow you to have a job. Ruling by hostility and intimidation should not be acceptable.

Definition of dysfunctional

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters

Pros

Learn a lot about the industry. You also learn what NOT to do as a manager. Worked for subsidiary AIC.

Cons

CEO daddy's son pulls up in his Porsche every now and then just to complain. Absolutely horrible management and bad pay. Treat employees like trash with everyone is replaceable mindset. So, good people leave and bad workers stay.

Get a clue. Take a management course or two and you may be able to save your organization.

Good people at the worker levels, but very difficult place to work.

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time

Pros

I still work here because of the people I work with, location is decent, and the work is interesting.

Cons

The pay is difficult to categorize. Some get paid very well, others really get shafted. Not based on contributions consistently.

The environment makes advice to management very difficult. I really have to belief any feedback will be listened to, so just change to you respect your employees, they are not just meat for use or discarding without thought.

Lead out of fear, conflict.

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time

Pros

A job. You get a workspace and a computer.

Cons

Treated poorly. CEO randomly will walk in to stir things up and rarely in a good mood. Family run, which means it's highly dysfunctional. No training. Very poor culture; must wear what they want (think of 1950's insurance salesman).

Be nice. Have ethics. Treat people well. Start all over from the ground up with a solid foundation this time.

run as fast as you can

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

none that I can think of

Cons

If you are family or a young male who likes to talk about sports and is comfortable passing your work on so you can play then go for it. Otherwise stay clear. I worked there and you should ignore any marketing reviews they are forced to write them. Also one is family does nothing all day . Was that me I would give a good review also.

check with middle management they are just puppets on a string. Look into WC renewals
    they give promotions based on friendships not by seniority or knowledge. They simply place the work in the experienced persons lap and then continue to play with the newly promoted sports fans. They actually had employees train the people who were given the promotion.

Fast paced work eviroment with TONS of growth potential.

Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are looking to work for a company that will allow you to gain knowledge and grow your career as an insurance professional, AUI is the place to do it. As a newcomer to the insurance world, I have been given every opportunity to grow and become versed in the many different fields that AUI covers. Training is only a request away and the open door policy at AUI helps with any questions or concerns that come up. Appalachian Underwriters policy to put our Agents first is unmatched in the MGA/Wholesaler business. As an employee at AUI, you will have the opportunity to move up the ladder if you are willing to put in the time and effort. I personally have referred two current employees and have had nothing but great reviews from them.

Cons

As for any downside that Appalachian Underwriters has, I have not personally had any negative experiences. As with any large company, you will hear gossip/grumblings from time to time. I think that it is up to each employee to make his/her decision on how to stay away from these issues.

My only advice to management is to continue to stay involved and interact with employees.

Challenging and Rewarding..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I really enjoy the people I interact with on a daily basis throughout our entire organization. There are a lot of like minded success driven people here that really care about a team culture and achieving goals. People who step up to challenges and embrace opportunity will flourish here. Professional environment, great hours, no weekends and few evening shifts. Additionally, there aren’t many places that are ranked in the top 10 nationally in what they do where your ideas and plans get embraced and implemented without layers of management and red tape as in many public traded companies.

Cons

None really, AUI is a production and multi-tasking culture where people need to be self starters and roll with change, so that could be perceived as a con. If a person doesn’t embrace that philosophy, then a task related job or role here will always be just that.

Key management is crazy busy driving the company to new opportunities and successes behind the scenes, strive to be more visible and sharing the good news broadly.

Great place for those willing towork hard and step up to new challenges!

Current Employee - Marketing in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great fit for the newer professional just out of college or a seasoned veteran looking for a new start where his experience can be valued.

Always something new to keep things fresh.

Management team that is receptive to new ideas and encouraging to those who put their best foot forward.

Challenges that enhance you as a professional. Career advancement for those that meet the challenge.

Great value system which gives employees work/life balance.

Cons

Formal training- dire need for a formal training program.

Segmentation- this con is getting better but a lot of silos and segmentation in all departments. Moving to a more "seamless" environment but still has segmentation from time to time.

Pay is a little under the average in some positions. In some it's pretty fair, in others not so much thus causing higher turnover in positions needing more stability

Mission Statement- company is at place where a mission statement can enhance unified direction amongst all departments to reach the one goal.

Formal training- need more training to be efficient.

Appalachian Underwriters Photos