Appature

Appature Reviews

5.0

Ari Bousbib

Great place to work!

I have been working at Appature full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Creative, smart, fast moving, good product, flexible. Treats employees like adults. There's a lot of growth potential and the company is expanding like crazy.

Cons

Fast growth is creating a bit of an unstructured environment.

With IMS ownership, keep Appature's soul.

Work Hard, Play Hard

Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Appature full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Appature recognizes the individual contributions that make the company successful. Every week "kudos" are given from employees of all tiers who are truly thankful for the support they received to do their job the week before. Mistakes are viewed as opportunities for improvement, and the camaraderie that appears when hard problems need to be solved is an amazing thing to behold.

Co-workers have a good rapport with one another. Many can be seen on weeknights or weekends spending time with each other on fun runs, bike trips, trivia nights, beerfests or midnight movie releases. Company events are genuinely a time to relax and cut loose, not an awkward obligation.

Cons

As it is a smaller company, Appature has a hard time establishing itself as an equal partner when it comes to setting expectations for the implementation of its products for its larger customers. This can put an unbalanced amount of stress on customer-facing developers and solutions architects.

Continue to foster a culture where the executives are actively seen in the day-to-day operations of the company. This visibility helps everyone feel like they're on the same team, and get opportunities to ask (and understand) why a disruptive change or difficult request was made.

Progress, not politics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Appature full-time

Pros

Appature is a company that was founded to be a great place to work, and lives up to that charter. The company is principled, and lives its values with integrity.

The end result is a place that is incredibly enabling. Each person at Appature has the opportunity to have a tremendous impact on the business, and the environment is completely devoid of politics to get in the way.

Cons

Appature offers a great deal of opportunity, but it's only accessible to those who have the motivation to seize it. Looking for a "9 to 5" job? Want to leave work at work? Appature is not for you.

It feels like we are building something unique, both in our product and culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Appature full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Appature is a fun, challenging, and satisfying place to work. The people are amazing - very smart, excited to build something great, and fun to be around. The culture is supportive of minimizing the friction involved in getting things done. There is a lot of trust between everyone here, which allows us to avoid playing politics internally and openly challenge/reassess things. We all win together. This is the kind of place you work at and end up hanging around late to share down time with coworkers because you like them so much. The product has so much potential, and the market is starting to take notice.

Cons

The demand for Appature Nexus keeps us all very busy - I'd love to find quality people in a shorter time span to grow the team ahead of demand, but it must be balanced with hiring the right people. It's a good problem to have.

Appature would be a terrible place to work if you were not self-motivated or needed a lot of process and hand holding; it is a company that trusts people to get the job done and has little management overhead.

I know it's challenging as we grow, but stay transparent. Continue to hire people who not only have expertise but also align with our values, as well as invest in those you already have. Keep pressing into the goals for the company, both on the business side and regarding values.

Appature is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Chief Technology Officer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Chief Technology Officer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Appature full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company culture that encourages everyone to be themselves, put customers before egos, and get things done.
    Great technology, and great people to work with building that technology.
    A growing customer base and no end of exciting technical challenges to overcome, from high performance big data to consumer friendly enterprise software user experiences.

Cons

The root beer side of the in-house kegerator keeps running out.
    There are too many inflatable unicorns around the office. The magic is distracting.
    I often almost trip over a hamster that runs around in a ball in the office.
    Everyone is way too empowered to make decisions, Appature needs more subjugating top down management.

Easily one of the best places to work.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Appature full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This place is amazing. Awesome coworkers, amazing location, and a real interest in allowing the employees to use what they are personally great at to excel and grow the company.

You really get to feel like your work has a serious effect on the product. I have never felt empowered like I am at this company. It is at a great stage where it has gotten large enough not to be complete chaos but small enough that each person gets to own their own piece of the business.

The people are amazing here. I swear I feel more healthy just being in this environment on a daily basis. People are this company are motivated and passionate every day about working together to create something wonderful. It is inspiring.

Cons

The pay could definitely be better, but I honestly feel like it's close enough to other jobs that the culture and other non-monetary aspects of the job make up for it.

This isn't a place to work if you are hoping to just do your work and go home. If you want to do well here you have to be willing to "live your work" a bit. It's extremely easy to do here, but if you are looking for a standard 8-5-gohome lifestyle then you might be disappointed.

Appature Photos

The Appature founding team: Derek Slager, Kabir Shahani, Chris Hahn and Matt Hallett
Appature’s Kabir Shahani with Jeff Dickey of NextCast