Appcelerator

Jeff Haynie

Enjoyed my time at Appcelerator

I worked at Appcelerator

ProsThe opportunity - mobile is the #1 project initiative for the Enterprise
The people - great group of motivated, successful, supportive, and collaborative people
The product - innovative, disruptive. Bottom line is the product works and provides solid benefit for customers

ConsLots of changes that have negatively impacted morale. However, new leadership team has brought stability to the Company
Need more Marketing air cover to support Sales efforts
Need to establish the Channel to really scale the business

Advice to Senior ManagementExecute, execute, execute

It's a hot mess

I worked at Appcelerator

ProsGoofy office environment with scooters. Lot's of free food. A nice building. Good chairs. Showers in the nice smelling bathrooms.

ConsAppcelerator Titanium is a massive complex entity that was put together with chewing gum and scotch tape. Now the company founders have moved on to another product that would replace Titanium.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to find a way to make money from the mobile app space

Great company, huge potential!

I have been working at Appcelerator full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAppcelerator founders have a great vision and have been visionaries and leaders in the mobile industry. Team has experienced senior leadership with a strong background in building a large enterprise software company. Appcelerator has build a strong product portfolio. I love the culture and there is a lot of passionate, smart people in the company. The culture is very team oriented and everyone is helpful.

ConsLike most startups things move very fast and everyone has high expectations for success and for each other to drive hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on execution and continue to innovate with the products and be the market leader.

Right place at the right time

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Appcelerator for less than a year

ProsAppcelerator is well positioned for rapid growth with the right product set and great leadership. Appcelerator has won the hearts and minds of the development community with the open source version with over 500K developers and over 60K apps in stores. The enterprise features of the Appcelerator platform give enterprises the productivity, quality, scalability, and visibility they need to realize the business benefits of mobile.
This is a team environment of A players and my experience has been that everyone is willing to help each other and do whatever it takes to help our customers succeed . The overriding agenda is the success of the team and I don't see political silos here. The culture is one of celebrating and rewarding success. We are at the beginning stages of tremendous growth. Benefits, pay, and time off policies are generous.

ConsNo overriding cons worth mentioning

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be agile and innovative. Mobile requires it!

Diamond in the rough

Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Appcelerator full-time for less than a year

ProsCompany culture encourages creativity and out of the box thinking.
Great Products and Engineering team.
Sales is catching up with the rest of the company under new leadership and new hires.

ConsStill growing into the opportunity ahead of us.
Processes are evolving.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on what will make us a great company and don't get distracted. Hold people accountable to deliver to commitments.

We have our ups and downs

I have been working at Appcelerator full-time for more than a year

ProsA great product, lots of potential, in the right place at the right time. A new CRO who is proactive in weeding out the bad apples and determined to push the company into its full swing.

ConsHigh turn over rate, but I blame the silicon valley for creating a generation of y2k brats. I hear people complain that we don't have free lunch catered everyday, like Facebook and Google or see people waste thousands of dollars on lavish things when our company is not Oracle. These people need to realize the reason why start-ups fail is because certain people think they can get lots for doing little. If you continue to milk a company but don't give it your all, we are all going to fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire only the best. The people with heart and determination to help grow the company. Make smart use of investor's money. When the company does well, be generous and give recognition, raises, company events etc. All of these will boost employee morale.

Dysfunctional management, but great developer product

Mountain View, CA

I worked at Appcelerator full-time for less than a year

ProsGood validation of the Titanium developer tool
Good engineering and QA team that works hard

ConsIneffective sales team, althought a new sales management team has been brought in to fix this.
No clear enterprise platform strategy
Extremely siloe'd and opaque management style that is very immature

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease transparency, rely more on the experience talent you brought in to help you steer the company.

The ultimate lie!

I have been working at Appcelerator full-time

ProsGreat engineering team. Those guys can make anything a reality.

ConsThe VP team are a bunch of spineless stooges that have little to no mobile industry experience. The CTO has no presence and looks like he doesn't give a rats-ass. The CEO is an absentee Dad with vision but no ability to drive execution. Bottom-line this company is more of a hobby or a science project. Buyer beware.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the CEO, the CTO, and all the stooges they have surrounded themselves with. Sell off the assets and give everyone their pay-out while they still care.

Huge potential, very nice people, good place to work

I have been working at Appcelerator

ProsThe technology has amazing brand value - the Titanium Community is very large and a big validation of the power and opportunity of the software - both Open Source as well as the Platform for the Enterprise

ConsTypical start-up. A lot of people with a lot of ideas, need to proactively strategize and not tactically react to situations.

Appcelerator Needs a lot of Help

I worked at Appcelerator full-time

ProsGreat development community. Over 480K developers leveraging Titanium. Lots of solid engineering talent. Mobile is a hot space and its still a land grab.

ConsCEO has made some really bad decisions. 100% executive staff turnover in one year. Sales continues to have execution problems and there has been a ton of turn over. Employees are on edge trying to figure out if they're going to get fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey just hired a chief revenue officer. Hopefully this guy can turn the company in the right direction.

Worked for Appcelerator? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Appcelerator reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Appcelerator CEO Jeff Haynie. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Appcelerator employees.