Appen

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stephen Norris

Great company to work for.

Search Engine Evaluator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Appen as a contractor

ProsFelxible schedule, work is interesting.

ConsI wish there was more work.

Not what they say they are

Web Search Evaluator (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Appen as a contractor for more than a year

ProsTraining is very well organized and clear, for such complicated work. Some of the managers are very good to deal with, in that I felt that they had read my email, rather than skimming it and giving an unsatisfactory response.

ConsThe company tells you that you are a contract worker, an independent consultant (i.e., you have to pay taxes at the end of the year); however, they also require that you work 20+ hours per week. This wouldn't be so bad if the software wasn't so unreliable. I often spent an extra hour or two waiting for my work to be available. Also, In spite of their training and a clear desire to help the employee succeed, their service level requirements are too rigid to be realistic. I often asked a question and received a standard response that did not answer my question.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake another look at your service level requirements. They simply don't work, and I personally think your company will degrade if you don't take a step back and look at things.

Awesome for Stay at Home Moms Like Me

Transcription/Crowdsourcing (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Appen as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThere are ALL sorts of jobs that you can do with Appen, and it's easy to apply to each one, so you will never get bored.

ConsSome tasks pay so little that you end up making $3-4 per hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne cent tasks do not add up to minimum wage no matter how fast you are at it. Anyone that can make that add up to minimum wage isn't doing their task honestly and correctly.

Decent part-time, self directed work for people who can think on their feet.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Appen part-time for more than a year

ProsDecent pay, ability to create your own hours, flexibility, interesting insights

ConsLimited contact with management - you will never see a human face and rarely get a direct email. It can be monotonous at times and has undependable work availability (depending on project)

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some incentive for your top performers across all projects.

Pay is terrible! Work is terrible! Total waste of time!!!!

Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee)
North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Appen part-time for less than a year

Prosnone to mention even one

Consweb search evaluator (Former Employee), Edmonton – February 15, 2014
First you have a 50 pages guidelines to learn plus around 10 modules and 4 lessons to learn.

You have to install everything by yoursef they told me the qualifications would take me 30 hours and I would be pay 300. In fact it takes 2 weeks full times and more so around 70 h-80 h.

The toolbar never wok and their help desk is not good at all.

The auditor don't follow their guidelines in my last test I had to appeal 3 times because this was in total contracdiction with what they thaught us......And I was 110 % sure I even had a similar example that I copy and paste...I failed

I am wondering if they just use us, in the qualification. Moreover they told you this is not subjetive but it is totally subjective.

There is 2 ways of rating.:rating the LP or rating the intent.... how do you know how to rate ? you don't

The management doesn't answer your questions.....

Waist of my precious time

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some decency, pay your employees decent money they can live on!!!

good company but doesn't provide training

I have been working at Appen

Prosflexibility of work schedule. Work at home

Consnot a stable income to rely on

Don't waste your time!

Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee)
Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Appen part-time for less than a year

Prostoo few to mention even one

ConsI have always been a quick learner. I'm college educated, a great critical and analytical thinker, I'm up-to-date on pop culture and everything else that might make me an ideal candidate for this position. I read all the poor reviews and just thought everyone was being overly negative and critical. I've always been the exception to the rule when it comes to my ability to learn, study and test well. Right?! Nope. (I only say this because you know you're thinking the same thing.) After studying their qualification material extensively, I could NOT pass their test! I found it incredibly inconsistent and subjective. They would give examples in the training material that were nearly identical to ones in the test but the two would not have the same results! It was extremely frustrating. Their "offby" scores are difficult to meet. I scored near perfect on my overall score but poorly in one category, causing me to fail. Also, their training materials are outdated and confusing. They send you to about five different sites and forums for material. I can't fathom how the average person manages this. Lastly, I'm convinced they utilize the results during the qualification process to actually benefit their company. Why wouldn't a real web user, like myself (someone not trained according to their standards), provide just as valuable feedback on search results? What better way to accomplish this than to have knowledgeable "prospective employees" conduct the testing without ever having to be paid? In the email stating I failed, were the names of nearly 50 other people! I would be interested to see how many people actually passed. My advice is to put your efforts elsewhere.

Advice to Senior Managementinconsistent, subjective, unrealistic, confusing training material.

Great company, below average salaries

I have been working at Appen full-time

ProsWonderful colleagues, fun work culture.

ConsLow salary, long hours, poor work life balance.

You work 5 hours a day, but get paid for 4

I have been working at Appen as a contractor

ProsYou work from home and it is a legit job.

ConsYou only get paid for 4 productive hours (minimum, they let you work 5 hours per day maximum at certain peak season), this is while you are connected into their system rating pages, one after the other, just like a telemarketing job where the calls don't stop. Is the same system. You are measured both by the speed (you have to rate more than 100 pages per hour) and by the efficiency (your margin of mistakes is very low). During your work as annotator or judge, you are constantly screened (and stressed). You have 2 types of audits, one is internal the other one is from their customer. You never know when are you going to receive an audit. If the audit is wrong, which can often happen since some of the guidelines for rating are a bit confusing because they depend mostly on personal opinions, they do not "discount" that audit against you from your global performance. Besides, you are not paid for looking at your email, reading newsletters, reviewing the question board (where everybody is allowed to ask questions - thanks God, because you have no real nor personal supervisor), attending to weekly forums, posting questions or posting tech issues (all of these tasks are done very often and might be very time consuming - it represented to me 1 extra hours per day and I was only allowed to invoice 5 minutes per day). Every 2 weeks they release a report and if you don't meet their mysterious metrics (these are changing continuously), you are removed from production. This means 1 week (or two depending on their tech issues with their system) without salary. They might let you go through a new qualification exam, but you don't get paid for that and it takes you at least 1 or 2 hours of preparation + 1 hour for the exam. I advise you that in can be a very stressful and frustrating job since although it is legit (you do receive a check) it is very frustrating and unfair. Besides, I have a friend that was hired by them to post positive reviews in several forums, so don't trust the 100% satisfactory reviews you read here. I cannot say they are not real, I just say they might not be real.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview your internal procedures. Introducing tight metrics only lead to frustration. Your contractors simply find better opportunities, they go, and you have to start the process again, paying people to do the job and paying again for the training, which result in more expenses. Exactly what you wanted to avoid with the tight metrics.

Incredible company to work for

Seattle, WA

I have been working at Appen

Prosdiversity, opportunities, great company to work for

ConsI have no complaints. This is a great company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. Communication is key and this company is dedicated to success.

Worked for Appen? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Appen reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Appen CEO Stephen Norris. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Appen employees.