Appen

Updated Jun 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stephen Norris

Wonderful Company if you are looking working from home

Web Search Evaluator - Work From Home (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule, great communication, paid training. I been working with them for the last year and I love it! The company is so well organized, you always know what to do and if something is not working good they will let you know. They have a consultant site where you can find almost all the information that you need. If is something that you don't understand you only need to contact an Auditor or a Program Manager. They also have the direct deposit option for your payment.

ConsThey pay you once a month not every 2 weeks and you need to pay for your taxes and no benefits because you work as independent contractor.

Great company to work for.

Search Engine Evaluator (Current Employee)

ProsFelxible schedule, work is interesting.

ConsI wish there was more work.

Absolute horrible system, guidelines and technology

Web Search Evaluator - Work From Home (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsNONE - Horrible in every way

Cons1 Pay-per-hit - If you don't hit the # of it's per hour then you don't make the $13.50 they promise
    2 You get a stipend for training, but if you fail the subsequent test you don't get that pay and you're let go
    3 Guidelines are very subjective...the way they judge many of the pages seem contradictory
    4 Your success is based on those subjective guidelines...some of which make absolutely no sense
    5 Horrible system for judging...it's glitchy, highly sensitive and not very well thought out
    6 System crashes and freezes up often causing you to lose your work
    7. You get paid once a month

I lasted for a week. I couldn't take it. If the system was this bad during training I could not imagine it during production. I got no real help from tech support. EVERY single time I used the system to judge it crashed. DO NOT APPLY. Do anything else except for this. I literally just quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your technology in order and consider a flat hourly rate instead of per hit, especially since your judging system often fails. It hardly seems far to employees, consider people over the bottom line.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not what they say they are

Web Search Evaluator (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsTraining is very well organized and clear, for such complicated work. Some of the managers are very good to deal with, in that I felt that they had read my email, rather than skimming it and giving an unsatisfactory response.

ConsThe company tells you that you are a contract worker, an independent consultant (i.e., you have to pay taxes at the end of the year); however, they also require that you work 20+ hours per week. This wouldn't be so bad if the software wasn't so unreliable. I often spent an extra hour or two waiting for my work to be available. Also, In spite of their training and a clear desire to help the employee succeed, their service level requirements are too rigid to be realistic. I often asked a question and received a standard response that did not answer my question.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake another look at your service level requirements. They simply don't work, and I personally think your company will degrade if you don't take a step back and look at things.

Awesome for Stay at Home Moms Like Me

Transcription/Crowdsourcing (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThere are ALL sorts of jobs that you can do with Appen, and it's easy to apply to each one, so you will never get bored.

ConsSome tasks pay so little that you end up making $3-4 per hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne cent tasks do not add up to minimum wage no matter how fast you are at it. Anyone that can make that add up to minimum wage isn't doing their task honestly and correctly.

Decent part-time, self directed work for people who can think on their feet.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay, ability to create your own hours, flexibility, interesting insights

ConsLimited contact with management - you will never see a human face and rarely get a direct email. It can be monotonous at times and has undependable work availability (depending on project)

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some incentive for your top performers across all projects.

Pay is terrible! Work is terrible! Total waste of time!!!!

Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee) North Atlanta, GA

Prosnone to mention even one

Consweb search evaluator (Former Employee), Edmonton – February 15, 2014
    First you have a 50 pages guidelines to learn plus around 10 modules and 4 lessons to learn.

You have to install everything by yoursef they told me the qualifications would take me 30 hours and I would be pay 300. In fact it takes 2 weeks full times and more so around 70 h-80 h.

The toolbar never wok and their help desk is not good at all.

The auditor don't follow their guidelines in my last test I had to appeal 3 times because this was in total contracdiction with what they thaught us......And I was 110 % sure I even had a similar example that I copy and paste...I failed

I am wondering if they just use us, in the qualification. Moreover they told you this is not subjetive but it is totally subjective.

There is 2 ways of rating.:rating the LP or rating the intent.... how do you know how to rate ? you don't

The management doesn't answer your questions.....

Waist of my precious time

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some decency, pay your employees decent money they can live on!!!

good company but doesn't provide training

Prosflexibility of work schedule. Work at home

Consnot a stable income to rely on

Don't waste your time!

Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY

Prostoo few to mention even one

ConsI have always been a quick learner. I'm college educated, a great critical and analytical thinker, I'm up-to-date on pop culture and everything else that might make me an ideal candidate for this position. I read all the poor reviews and just thought everyone was being overly negative and critical. I've always been the exception to the rule when it comes to my ability to learn, study and test well. Right?! Nope. (I only say this because you know you're thinking the same thing.) After studying their qualification material extensively, I could NOT pass their test! I found it incredibly inconsistent and subjective. They would give examples in the training material that were nearly identical to ones in the test but the two would not have the same results! It was extremely frustrating. Their "offby" scores are difficult to meet. I scored near perfect on my overall score but poorly in one category, causing me to fail. Also, their training materials are outdated and confusing. They send you to about five different sites and forums for material. I can't fathom how the average person manages this. Lastly, I'm convinced they utilize the results during the qualification process to actually benefit their company. Why wouldn't a real web user, like myself (someone not trained according to their standards), provide just as valuable feedback on search results? What better way to accomplish this than to have knowledgeable "prospective employees" conduct the testing without ever having to be paid? In the email stating I failed, were the names of nearly 50 other people! I would be interested to see how many people actually passed. My advice is to put your efforts elsewhere.

Advice to Senior Managementinconsistent, subjective, unrealistic, confusing training material.

Great company, below average salaries

ProsWonderful colleagues, fun work culture.

ConsLow salary, long hours, poor work life balance.

Worked for Appen? Contribute to the Community!