Appen Reviews

Updated March 13, 2015
95 reviews filtered by
Appen CEO Lisa Braden-Harder
Lisa Braden-Harder

Pros
  • If you want to work from home and don't want to commute then this is a great option (in 15 reviews)

• Flexible hours, able to work from home or a cafe or wherever you please (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Because they're international and you work from home you work a lot (in 4 reviews)

• Job security is non existent, you could be 'let go' at any point for any reason with no notice (in 3 reviews)

Wonderful Company!

Current Employee - Annotator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Annotator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Appen

Pros

Appen is a wonderful company to do contract work with. If you apply for the home positions you work on a 1099, so you are not actually an employee (Independent Contractor). I have been with them for almost 2 years, and I do not understand why they have so many negative reviews. For part-time work, they pay well and are very flexible.

Cons

Contract can end on short notice.

In defense of Appen Butler Hill....

Current Contractor - Social Media Evaluator in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Contractor - Social Media Evaluator in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Appen as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I'm not sure I understand all of the negative reviews? I have been working with Appen as a Social Media Evaluator for a few months now and enjoy it a lot. You get to work from home - which is great. It is not the highest paying position out there - but how can anyone complain when you WORK FROM HOME? There is no commute, no extra money for office attire, water-cooler drama, etc. All of the auditors and PMs have been very kind, payment is on-time, and there is on-going training. It is what you choose to make of it....and I for one, am super-appreciative for this position. I may have numerous degrees, one of which is a graduate degree, but I still enjoy this job because it gives me great flexibility. Do not read into all of these negative reviews - just disgruntled contractors who appear to want something for nothing. Life is what you make of it - and I for one, like this job. Apply if you get a chance and keep an open mind. Working from home is a blessing. Easy work. Decent pay. And you get to work when you choose. Thank you Appen!

Cons

The pay could be higher, but again - I am grateful.

CrowdSourcing

I have been working at Appen as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

-Work at home
    -Work at your own hours

I like the fact you can work anytime.
    You'll have to work for a lot since the pay is low but can really add up as you do more. It's good to have a current or side job. Extra income is nice.

You'll work through UHRS if you work for crowdsourcing. You first have to do qualifications to see if your available to do the tasks. Once you pass, there's a certain amount of hitapps you can do and the amount you get per hit. On average I can make 8 - 10 an hour. Which is around minimum wage. It's not too bad but worth it if you want to have a second job/ side. I'm currently a college student and it helps me build an extra income. I'm happy to work with appen and hope to continue to work for them.

Cons

-Contract job so it's unknown when I'll be terminated.
    -Hitapps can be unavailable at times so you'll have to wait for a day or few. It varies.
    - Payment it's only once a month and not weekly. But hey at least your still getting paid.

Social Media Evaluator Job

Current Contractor - Social Media Evaluator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Social Media Evaluator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Appen as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Work in your pajamas, reliable pay (monthly), get to read interesting things on social media

Cons

Very confusing training process. They don't give you enough examples of good work to use as a template. Then you make mistakes and get audited. If they did a better job training people, then raters would make fewer mistakes. There is no room for growth at all. You have to work 20 hours/week but I often go over and if you continue to go over, they'll let you go. You have to do all the training and troubleshooting on your own time - no pay. The system has constant problems. It shuts down on you, loses your work, etc. That part is very frustrating.

Host video trainings and offer a lot of templates over what you consider good work. What you're giving is not enough. Offer incentives to people to make more money. Reward your good contractors with more money. Be more flexible in the minimum hours per week. Sometimes I can't do 20 hours and it's a real struggle to fit it in with all that I'm juggling.

6. Stressful

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Appen as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is actually good.

Cons

The work can be very stressful, and time consuming.

Good place to work for stay in home mums

Former Employee - Independent Consultant in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Independent Consultant in Bothell, WA

I worked at Appen

Pros

You don't have to travel anywhere to work, work when you want, how long you want as long as meets minimum 4 hour per day requirements. They pay for passing training.

Cons

You have to pay taxes out of your pocket. The work is quite boring. You are like automatic machine doing the same thing over and over again.

No advices so far.

You Can't Be Lazy

Current Contractor - Crowdsourcing

I have been working at Appen as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Work at your own pace and from home. This is what most people, I assume, would love in a job.

Cons

Since it's contractual, you never feel safe. It's scary at times wondering if they'll renew your contract.

9. Love working for Appen

Current Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Appen

Pros

-Working from home
    -Good pay
    -Responsive Team
    -Great Training

Cons

-Working 1 day on a weekend

-Great Work

It was ok

Current Employee - Social Media Evaluation
    Current Employee - Social Media Evaluation

I have been working at Appen

Pros

Work from home, easy, on time pay

Cons

It's easy but its hard to know what you're supposed to be doing

Better guidelines

I make between 1 and 3 bucks an hour... and I live in america.

Current Contractor - Crowdsourcing in New Orleans, LA
    Current Contractor - Crowdsourcing in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Appen as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

There are pros? Ok, it is on the internet and gives you an excuse to turn on your computer?

Cons

It doesn't pay enough to pay for the electricity used by said computer. It does not pay minimum wage but they get away with it.

Pay a minimum wage that is legal in the USA.

Appen Photos

Appen Butler Hill's leadership team includes linguists as well as international program managers with real world business experience.

+ Add Photo