Appen
www.appen.com Ridgefield, CT 150 to 499 Employees

Appen Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014
Appen – Sydney – “Appen Butler Hill's leadership team includes…”

Not yet rated.

Lisa Braden-Harder

Work at home

Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsFlexible schedule - great for stay at home mom, could even fit around a full time job. Good pay, great communication and feedback from my team and the project I am on is a lot of fun!

ConsRules can change with no warning so it can get confusing. I know some don't like this since relearning the rules is generally done on your own time and is therefore unpaid, but to me it's not a big deal. Job security is non existent, you could be 'let go' at any point for any reason with no notice.

Still trying to figure it out

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsWork from home is great. Interaction with global employees.

ConsBecause they're international and you work from home you work a lot! Ideas and changes are talked about a lot, but never executed.

Changed to be practically impossible to keep the job

ProsMake your own schedule
    No weekend work unless you volunteer
    Great pay for part time work
    Non-phone

ConsVery meticulous
    No real room for advancement
    Boring and repetitive work
    Very easy to lose the contract
    Practically impossible to maintain metrics

Advice to Senior ManagementStop tightening the belt on metrics because it makes it almost impossible to keep the job past a few weeks. You lose a lot of good workers because you are so strict.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good, temporary work at home position

Atlanta, GA

ProsFlexibility in hours, good pay, training bonus. Great for students and/or parents.

ConsVery strict performance guidelines, confusing rating selection, low tolerance for mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more lenient to performance standards.

most stressful job i ever had, not worth the pay

Rater (Former Employee)

Prosyou work from home choosing your own hours, you dont have to commute

Consstress, auditor incompetence, general randomness

Advice to Senior Managementthe following are some thoughts i had when working there.

I feel that every time the quality metrics are adjusted the screws are tightened a little harder.
    I feel that Rtas are basically useless because they are either way too obvious and easy or way too obscure, rare, unlikely and pointless, instead of oops! the text should be changed to gotcha! . I feel that every time i get one of those obscure Rtas someone is flipping me off with 2 hands.
    Rtas rarely solve any doubts i might have, and in occasions contradict auditor audits, which makes me feel like a moron for having appealed that auditor audit, having it send back by the auditor with some lame excuse and then failing it again as an Rta because i followed the auditors advice. That feels nice.
    The whole auditor system is pretty much useless because even if you follow through and send a particular audit to the pm it may take WEEKS to get a reply, if you get a reply at all. The sane way to approach audits, both Rtas and auditors is to just accept blindly whatever nonsense you get as long as you are bellow the metrics.
    I believe quality metrics are very important to ABH, not actual quality.

while working there i participated in a livemeeting session where we were supposed to get training for a project; instead the program manager wasn't felling like going through the guidelines even once and preferred to ask us if we had any questions. When i was asked directly by her and replied that i had nothing to ask her, she mocked me, and the other participants laughed at me too. That was an unpleasant experience and a waste of my time that she got paid for without actually doing any job, she stole that money from ABH.
    I believe that no money in the world would compensate for the amount of frustration i am subjected to in this job. Its the first time i get headaches because of a job, a 4 hour a day job. Even if its just 4 hours i get more mentally exhausted than working an 8 hour job.
    The positive feedback feels fake.

fair

Web Rater (Former Employee)
    Home Gardens, CA

ProsWork from home is good

ConsThey don't pay by hours but by task

Advice to Senior ManagementI never had discussion with management

Web Search Evaluator

Web Search Evaluator (Former Employee)

ProsHours and flexibility. Pay was decent as well, but no benefits. Training was paid for too, it was a flat fee payment, but you train on your own over 7 days.

ConsThey expect you to work at a machines pace and with no mistakes. No benefits. Temporary work, typically only 6 months. Constant hoops of qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want HUMANS doing your work -- treat them like HUMANS.

amazing company for entry-level search evaluator

Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsProfessional employee friendly company. Excellent and effective support staff that are good with working with entry-level and first timers that would like to work from home.

ConsVery intense training and qualification process. initially time consuming but demanding but well worth it. The process was challenging and moderately stressful. not good for those who dont work well under pressure.

Advice to Senior Managementit would be great if you provided faster support services for new potential employees. During the initial training process I had a technical issue, by the time the staff responded several days later I had already figured it out myself.

Appen offers excellent pay and hours but job security is an issue.

Campbellsburg, KY

ProsExcellent Pay, Hours, Flexibility, On-Time Direct Deposit, Scheduling

ConsBenefits, Training, Job Security, Length of Time Between Paydays, Project Management, Continual Policy Changes

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better and in-depth training. Educate project managers on how to effectively communicate with the agents under their instruction. Stop utilizing .pdf documents to train agents. The documents are poorly organized and the majority of them do not provide enough explanation. In addition, the documents are full of spelling and grammar mistakes. The training documents alone make the company appear incompetent. Management and people of authority need to be available to their working agents. Using email as the only way to communicate is ineffective and aggravating. Agents work throughout the day and night and usually have to wait at least 24 hours to receive responses to their questions through email. There are times when the questions remain unanswered. Efficient and accurate judgments cannot be produced by agents that do not have proper training and effective communication with their managers.

Great. I enjoying the work I do with them and I have been there for 6 years

Contractor Administrator Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Ridgefield, CT

ProsI get to correspond with the different employees thru my email. I can ask them any questions and they are glad to help

ConsI don't have any Cons about this job. I am Self-Employed

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Worked for Appen? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Appen reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Appen CEO Lisa Braden-Harder. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by Appen employees.