Appian Reviews

Reset
4.3
Appian President and CEO Matt Calkins
Matt Calkins

Pros
  • Smart people, interesting product, social crowd (in 6 reviews)

• The CEO still interviews every hire personally to make sure they'll be a good fit with the company culture (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely long hours, it was common to work until 4 AM (in 5 reviews)

• For professional services, the type of project you are on determines your happiness working with the company (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

10 Reasons (among many more!)

Current Employee - Recruiter in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Joining Appian was the best decision I've made in my career. Why? Honestly: 1) My colleagues are brilliant - high bar for hiring top talent so you're among the best 2) The organization is extremely employee-oriented (a few examples: Monday morning breakfasts provided, ambassador program for new hire orientation, Women's Leadership Program for the empowerment of women at Appian, I could go on...) 3) The environment is collaborative and everyone has a voice - it's a flat org structure so there are few steps up or down the ladder, which minimizes the gap between C-level and entry level 4) Immediately, you have the opportunity to bring ideas to fruition and work on special projects with other people that are passionate about the same objectives (I participated in something like this in my first month of working here). What's awesome is, with the right approach you'll get the resources to make those ideas a reality. 5) Opinions are sought after and sharing those opinions is encouraged regardless of status 6) Coolest product in our industry - literally transforming the way people do business - and everyone in the company also gets to be a user. As a non-technical person, I'm continually impressed by the power of our platform. It's easy to be excited about the product. 7) Appian doesn't rest on its laurels. Being the best at what we do still isn't enough. I love that this organization has a vision for the future and veraciously pushes the boundaries -- that tells me we're built for longevity and positioned for strategic, organic growth. 8) Great balance between start-up culture and large organization - I haven't felt anonymous here, but I also have a very clear role that contributes directly to our strategic plan. (Previously worked in another "start-up", and a lot of times you're asked wear too many hats that are way outside of your scope of work, but I haven't found that to be the case here. Everyone has a key role, and expectations are high for individuals but they aren't blurry. You have to be flexible because you may be moved around depending on your strengths, but you'll have a clear purpose.) It also helps that you're equipped with all the resources you need to do your job. 9) Flexibility both vertically and laterally with advancement (Example: my first meeting with my manager was entirely about where I wanted to see my career go and how we take steps to get me there... wow.) 10) I want to be here. I really found my fit with Appian and if you are someone that seeks a fast-paced, challenging environment and applies passion to everything you do, you'll be valued here. There are just 10 reasons if you like lists... this is just a fraction of what I've observed. In conclusion: from the inside, it's easy to understand why Appian was rated one of the best places to work!

Cons

HQ located in Reston Town Center -- not the most central location so for a lot of people it's kind of a hike. Reston Town Center is really nice with a lot of conveniences, but unless you live in Reston/Dulles area it'll be a longer commute.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! When you have an training day offsite just to talk about how to better manage your teams, you're doing something right!

Never Been Happier

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian (Less than a year)

Pros

When I first interviewed at Appian, I had that one feeling you get when somethings sounds 'too good to be true.' But, nonetheless, I was intrigued, and spoke about it further with a friend of mine already employed at the company. She had nothing but great things to say. I did some more research on my own, and decided to move on to the next step in the interview process. When I came on site to interview, I knew immediately that this was where I belonged. I was greeted by the sweetest receptionist who made me feel right at home. Everyone in the office had smiles on their faces. When you walk in to an office and you see smiles on everyones faces, you know they're doing something right. I had been longing for a company with an amazing culture, strong upper management, mentorship opportunities, company with a vision, etc. With Appian, I have all of those things plus more. What I love so much about working here, is that I am surrounded by so many intelligent, motivated, and hard working individuals. Everyone has a voice, and has the opportunity to make suggestions or share their opinions. On top of that, the company focuses on hiring top talent, and ensuring their employees are where they should be. For example, When I first started here I met with my manager and we talked about my current role, where I saw myself going, and how they can help me to get there. On top of that, I have monthly one-on-ones to discuss progress - I love this! I am never bored, and I am always being challenged. Working for a company where they VALUE their employees and are constantly looking for ways to help you thrive has been life changing. I LOVE coming in to the office. If you are considering a change, looking for a challenge, longing for a strong company culture, enjoy a fast paced environment, and more - look in to Appian. Joining this company has been the best thing that has happened to me.

Cons

I have no cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. What you are doing, is working!

3. Appian makes innovation their business

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Appian is growing quickly and having a lot of impact. You're going to need talent, skill, imagination and vision here to be successful at Appian. Appian does a fantastic job at nurturing its employees. Appian knows how to find incredible people and give them what they want: They want to follow their passions. They want to feel rewarded. They want to be challenged.

Cons

Continue to make culture a priority as Appian continues to grow.

5. Was not the best for me.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Reston, VA

Pros

-Coffee and bagels? -decent salary, benefits

Cons

The managers are really weird. Bad weird. They are growing fast and promoting people to management prematurely, but also not promoting associate consultants based on any tangible qualities. Sometimes seems very luck of the draw. You will be asked to work 60 hours a week and told to put 40 or less on your timecard. You will be involved in some sort of toxic gossip or trash talking, usually involving management. You will hear really overtly sexual and very inappropriate comments at most company functions. The HR department will suggest the best way to handle unprofessional misconduct is to talk it out. Company is startlingly homogenous for such a diverse area.

Advice to Management

Communication, leadership and management issues need to be addressed.

Exciting times at Appian as we continue to Innovate

Current Employee - Account Executive in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative culture, Brilliant People and Awesome Technology

Cons

Fast growing company lots of new people learning how Appian works.

Advice to Management

Keep the Innovating and continue to make it easier for companies to do business with Appian. Offer programs to keep expanding the network of Appian practitioners.

Overall a positive experience

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work on interesting projects with a diverse set of technologies to choose from. There is a constant push to improve the workplace environment, and anyone is welcome to contribute to that effort.

Cons

Sometimes you are expected to work overtime for entire months, due to stakeholder arbitrarily set deadlines. Minor perks that make a big difference are sometimes denied to save a couple thousand dollars, for example, the company was resistant to increase the RAM memory of work laptops (despite conputers crashing due to out of memory), or to provide snacks for employees. Eventually they provided these perks, but it should've not taken almost a year for them to happen. Another example of this, is the company's reluctance to provide IntelliJ IDEA licenses for all software developers :s But no worries! We have Microsoft Office licenses!

Advice to Management

Don't be so cheap when it comes to productivity enhancing investments. Trust your employees to make good use of these investments and you will be handsomely rewarded. Otherwise you will be playing the classic Them (managent) vs. Us (engineers) game where everybody loses.

8. Great Company, Product, and Culture...But Scaling Pains

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

Pros

Very strong product Committed, intelligent co-workers Happy Customers

Cons

Main challenge right now is effectively scaling their Field operations. Specifically, they have doubled the number of Account Executives in the last 9 months, but have not hired enough Solution Engineers to keep up. I consistently have to inform prospective clients that though we sell an agile application platform, we'll have to push our custom demo back a few weeks, as our Solution Engineers are too busy with other work. Also, the pooled concept for Solution Engineers to support AE's needs to go away. In other companies, they assigned SE's to AE's, and that way the SE's have a chance to develop relationships with customers as well

Advice to Management

Find a way, any way, to hire more SE's. And, do away with the "pooled" SE approach

Best Career Move

I have been working at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Appian is known for having smart and talented employees. The organization is flat, management respects work/life balance, and the office is in a great location. There is a lot of growth potential individually and for the product.

Cons

Rapid company growth means often changes in management or teams, which is understandable. You just need to come into the company with an open mind.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and preserve the company culture as we continue to get larger.

Recruiter

Former Employee - Recruiter in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Reston, VA

I worked at Appian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No dress code. Free food. You can do nothing and no one will notice. Which is actually a con if you have any ambition.

Cons

The recruiting manager doesn't know what she's doing (when she shows up) and there are so many recruiters it's complete chaos and backstabbing. Total nightmare process and team.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring recruiters and learn to manage!

Where Innovation Meets Brilliance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Amazingly intelligent people to work with and learn from -Plenty of opportunity for stretch roles to grow your own skills -Great perks including sporting tickets, movie premiers, free food and drinks, and awesome location in Reston Town Center

Cons

-You need to love a challenge, they'll put you to work from day one. You need to bring your A-game day in and day out

RSS Feed </> Embed