Appian Reviews

Reset
4.0
Appian President and CEO Matt Calkins
Matt Calkins

Pros
  • Smart people, interesting product, social crowd (in 6 reviews)

• The CEO still interviews every hire personally to make sure they'll be a good fit with the company culture (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely long hours, it was common to work until 4 AM (in 5 reviews)

• For professional services, the type of project you are on determines your happiness working with the company (in 5 reviews)

Where Innovation Meets Brilliance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Amazingly intelligent people to work with and learn from -Plenty of opportunity for stretch roles to grow your own skills -Great perks including sporting tickets, movie premiers, free food and drinks, and awesome location in Reston Town Center

Cons

-You need to love a challenge, they'll put you to work from day one. You need to bring your A-game day in and day out

Abundant in Opportunity for Recent Grads

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Appian is an awesome, youthful company that offers a lot of opportunity for growth especially for recent graduates. Associate consultants are given a lot of responsibility developing client applications, and they can quickly participate on the client side with production support and requirements gathering. The people working here are definitely motivated and intelligent, and the company overall has a play-hard, work-hard culture. There is plenty of growth, so a good amount of upwards mobility, and a wide range of client projects to work on. I'm definitely grateful that I've had such a good experience right out of college.

Cons

-Their benefits are mediocre compared to some of the competitors (Deloitte, Accenture, etc.) -Turnover is relatively high in professional services, which can occasionally affect project morale

Advice to Management

Focus more on retaining talent

Jul 28, 2015 – CTO & Co-founder

Thanks for taking the time out to share your experiences and your recommendation of Appian! I encourage you to send your benefits suggestions to Debbie or me directly -- we're always enhancing them ... More

3. Sales

I have been working at Appian

Pros

Great Product, Nice Corporate offices, CEO is brilliant, good benefits

Cons

Crazy VP of Sales, Co-Founders not aligned, PS is a joke , no field focus as every event is only for corporate employees

Advice to Management

Grow UP!!! Matt can't do it by himself

Jul 28, 2015 – CTO & Co-founder

Thanks for taking the time to share your views. I'm sorry to hear you apparently received some bad information about events: everyone is welcome at our thee major annual gatherings. In addition ... More

Not a sales company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian (Less than a year)

Pros

Product is good and there are a lot of smart people in engineering and product management.

Cons

CEO is too controlling on product direction. This is not a sales oriented company and respect for sales professionals is very questionable by executive management.

Advice to Management

Let Product Management control the products features and road map.

Jul 28, 2015 – CTO & Co-founder

Thanks for taking the time to share your views. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience but I'm always available to discuss your issue. All four of us Co-founders spend a considerable amount of ... More

By far the best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture at Appian feels too good to be true. You are surrounded by a bunch of smart, motivated, and creative people whose first instincts are to share their knowledge and help others instead of increasing their own job security. The management structure is incredibly flat for the size of the company, with only 4-5 levels in total from CEO to entry level positions, and the founders regularly interact with employees at all levels. The Engineering department does Scrum very well and is constantly making improvements based on the feedback gained in regular retrospectives. Appian has a highly productive environment where you never feel you are doing busy work and even during the occasional push to get a new release out, it is still an enjoyable place to work because of the team focus and the great people around you.

Cons

PTO is not as generous as most other places I have worked.

Advice to Management

Increase the PTO slightly to be more in line with competitors, but otherwise just keep doing exactly what you've been doing!

Smart people, interesting product

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Appian hires smart, interesting, hard-working people who are great to work with. The company is committed to following best practices in its software development, and is constantly examining its processes to find what works and change what doesn't. There is a big push for leadership from within and self-organizing teams. Appian provides many opportunities for employees to make contributions they think are valuable, including strong support for Indie Time and a newly initiated Fed Ex Day. The company also does a good job of organizing fun events for employees, including after-work beer and wine socials, movie nights for big movie premiers, laser tag, and holiday getaways.

Cons

The biggest issue is work-life balance as there is a strong push to deliver new features with aggressive schedules. Middle management can be harsh when unexpected events cause development to take longer than originally expected. Rapid growth in number of employees also comes with challenges but management is aware of this and does their best to ensure the growth does not impact quality and company values.

Advice to Management

Mostly keep doing what you are doing.

Great company full of highly intelligent, motivated, generous people

Current Employee - Consultant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent culture, great perks, wonderful, smart people, good pay, many opportunities for advancement (personal and professional), bright future. I highly recommend applying if you haven't already.

Cons

I can't think of too many cons to working at Appian. The main one is the work load and very high expectations. You will be constantly challenged. Laziness and intellectual deficiencies are not acceptable.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job.

Full of challenges ahead and tough training.

I worked at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people around and challenging work. Providing opportunities to college graduates.

Cons

Appian provided 3 weeks of intensive training and I got let go on the last day of training. Appian has "evaluation" or "demo" type of final project at the end of the training.... Trying for IT company when you didn't major in CS or similar fields was very challenging.....

Advice to Management

n/a

Feb 17, 2015 – CTO & Co-founder

Thank you for sharing your experience in Appian Academy. It's not meant to be easy but I'm sorry to hear you were let go. The majority of Appian consultants are not CS majors since our platform ... More

Aweful... that's it.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None.... free coffee.. that's about it.

Cons

People working at the Engineering department in average were at Appian for 10+ years. This includes few upper managements fresh out of college or as their first job. Because of that they have few young managers. I think they are mostly closed minded and stubborn when dealing with diversity of experiences. Because they have worked on the same product/modules for so long and know their product so well, when new employee comes in and if they see the struggles, they don't seem to accept that or understand. Once I got a question...."why do you take this long to ramp up??" They don't seem to realize that they were looking at the same damn thing for 10+ years. Also, it feels like these "experts" seems does not know how to explain things to the new employees. Yes they have "On boarding" process, and 3 weeks of training on the "product"(not the code), but trying to fix a code that is 10+ years old is a different story. People needs to ask bunch of question in the beginning, but they don't accept that because they have been working with same people and same experts for so long they don't understand why he/she is asking question. They expect all of the employees to be prompt with their tempo feeds and emails as well. It is natural to them that they should work during the night, and weekends in frequent basis, because Appian "product" is their baby. They used the gitHub repositories comments when doing performance evaluation. During the daily code reviews, if you write a question that is too obvious to the seniors, upper management will use your comment and say "lack of understanding".

Dec 17, 2014 – CTO & Co-founder

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your experiences at Appian. We wish you luck in your future endeavors. For context, this person self-identified as Professional Services but only ... More

Company on a mission

I worked at Appian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The product is excellent, and the people are top-notch. There is a real focus on promoting from within, and recognizing the achievements of the top performers. Quality of customer service and overall customer satisfaction in the primary driver.

Cons

The people in professional services delivery are expected to work 60-80 weeks and travel extensively, which leads to burn-out. The company is small, but growing fast, which means lots of changes.

RSS Feed </> Embed