Appian

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Appian President and CEO Matt Calkins

Matt Calkins

Good Company

ProsFinancially stable future looks bright

ConsGrowth might be too fast

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change culture

Some of the smartest people I've worked with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong culture of individual contribution and high achievement. Lots of opportunity for personal growth and broad exposure to technical marketing and consulting. High recruiting standards- many of my best friends are the brilliant and fun people that overlapped with my career at Appian.

ConsStruggled to retain talent- employee retention was not a priority and turnover was high.

Great Corporate Culture, Sub-par Benefits and Growth Opportunities

Professional Services (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsThe corporate culture is great! Most people are young, friendly and a lot of fun to work with. Everyone they hire is smart, but never brags about it. The software is very interesting and has a lot of potential. They train incoming employees thoroughly to ensure that we are useful almost immediately. The management works hard to place each employee on a project based on their skills and their personal needs. They always are your advocate in tough client situations. Additionally, the holiday party and corporate retreat are very enjoyable and well-done.

ConsThe benefits and salary are low compared to the industry standard. This would be less of a problem if there were opportunities for raises or bonuses, but the only way to get a raise is to get promoted. For a certain professional services position, there are employees ranging from mid-20's to mid-30's who all get the exact same compensation regardless of tenure at Appian. Some of the project managers are underqualified and certainly less competent than others who have a lower position. Also, the founders are generally cold and seem to lack social skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild the brand, be more personable, offer monetary rewards for excellent performance and consider giving raises, even just to keep up with inflation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was there for a year and wouldn't go back

Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) Vienna, VA

ProsSome people working there are fun

ConsBenefits were cut (company cruise, Friday perks). Salaries well below the average for industry and the area. Paralysis by analysis on tech side. And side projects/indie time never happened

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove non-tech managers from tech positions. It's killing your employees

Great!

Consultant (Former Employee) Curl Tex Colonia, TX

ProsGreat working environment! It was great!

ConsNone, there was nothing negative

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Odd management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart people, interesting product, social crowd

ConsManagement is strange; almost Asperger's like

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn people skills

Great People, Product, Culture, and Opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reston, VA

Pros+ Appian employees are smart and driven high performers who are motivated to do their best work. Employees have access to executives and overall, it's a fun and friendly crowd. You can't ask for better colleagues.

+ Appian is a technology company and it's got an excellent product. We drink our own champagne at Appian and use our product across functional departments for various processes.

+ Appian has a great culture of intelligence, meritocracy and community that the four founders started 14 years ago. The company is also committed to client success and product innovation.

+ Appian has been growing in company size, customer base, license bookings, and other metrics. As a small, private company, it offers many opportunities for employees to rotate or transfer between different departments, relocate overseas, and move up quickly if you're a star.

Cons+ Compare to some of the other larger companies, the benefits are not as generous but it has been getting better.

Here, if you work hard, you get compensated appropiately

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsAlot of opportunities, maybe too many? Hahaha. There is a lot to be done here, and smart hard-working people do it.

ConsThere is only one way: The Hard Way. You cannot just go from 9 to 5 everyday and expect to get things done, and you are told this.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing the right thing in recruiting heavily, lets hope everything works out.

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Reston, VA

Pros* There are some really good engineers, from which you can learn, have smart interactions, and produce something good.
    * You can make some good friendships, since the group is small and, for good or bad, you're going to spend a lot of time in the office together.

Cons* Sadly not most of the people is top notch, although considering the company size and the area, the company is really lucky to have the good engineers they have.
    * No real growth after certain level is reached. Everybody starts becoming a director or VP, which is starting to become a joke.
    * Engineering is very undervalued, since in the eyes of the execs (even if they don't accept it), it doesn't produce money (like professional services does).
    * CEO holds back the company because of fears, either founded or not, of loosing control.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue engineering since the company's lofty goals will only be achieved through it.

High quality engineers

Pros- very smart people
    - many career opportunities

ConsCould not think of any after two minutes.

Worked for Appian? Contribute to the Community!