Apple American Group

3.4

Greg Flynn

Former GM

I worked at Apple American Group

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

No life work balance at all

Don't make your managers work extra days as a cook just to save labor

Great Company

I worked at Apple American Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Phenominal Culture, everyone is like a huge family. Really fun work environment. A great team makes or breaks your experience.

Cons

Work/Life balance, long hours, can't schedule full time. Clientele is a bit rough at times. Area Directors are out of touch at times.

Stop Cheapening the brand. Riblets "sorry, I mean crosscut ribs" need to go away and never come back. Baby Backs are difficult to execute for cooks making $9.00 an hour.

It's just an ok place to work

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Apple American Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work here for benefits. The company is constantly growing and changing. The hours are 50 per week which isn't bad if your not closing and then opening. There is not a great balance between family and work. With all restaurants Applebee's is your life.

Cons

The change of leadership in 2yrs I've had 5 different area directors and 3 GMs. They will yank managers from stores and transfer them constantly not leaving any consistency within a store. There is opportunity for growth but instead of promoting from within they continually bring in people from the outside who are terrible and know nothing about the brand expecting them to do a great job and have respect from the team. I had a GM who I was constantly doing his job because he didn't know anything? Where do they find these people. Makes it frustrating to go to work. They don't really give raises. Mine was the max at .33cents :/. And they cap their managers off at 48,000

Great training

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Apple American Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great training, awesome profit sharing overall a great company to work for

Cons

base salary and pay to much for insurance

none

They advertise a lot, but don't deliver much for their management.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Auburn, WA

I worked at Apple American Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay overall, the training overall is good for the hourly positions and learning the brand.

Cons

The big issue is the lack of oversight by upper management on their General Managers and the "good old boy" syndrome that infests it. The store I was sent to after my training had a GM who had already been through five other AM's in under a year. When I begin having issues with the GM blatantly violating core policies my complaints were ignored by both HR and upper management. Also, they advertise a balanced schedule to management, but I personally didn't see this in the store I was at or from what I heard from other managers in other stores. For training, they train you on all the store level positions for 95% of training, but they spend very little time training you on their brand specific systems for the BOH, POS and scheduling.

Stop promoting your friends and family members into store level management. Its unprofessional and doesn't support your own company values.

Stepping on the little guy

Current Employee - Server in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Server in Akron, OH

I have been working at Apple American Group part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, Fun work environment, some bonuses

Cons

Lack of benefits, No paid sick days, Needs to join ROC United, 30 hours a week max (due to ObamaCare), have to fight tooth and nail for bonuses that were promised.

The best advice I can give is for the management to rely on senior staff members and trust that they know what they are doing. Micromanaging someone that has been doing this job for almost a decade before you were transferred to a store does not make friends; it makes an uncomfortable work environment.

General manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Apple American Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great work environment, upward mobility. We have an ability to give feedback directly upper management.

Cons

Long hours, split days off most times. Working late nights, benefits seem expensive, company puts a lot of pressure on General Managers on cutting labor and cutting staffing.