Apple

Apple Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Apr 23, 2014

Apple CEO Tim Cook

Tim Cook

Pros
  • Great benefits with above average pay scales for most departments(in 207 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers(in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours(in 190 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors(in 133 reviews)

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great experience, long term potential very limited.

Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsYou learn the business and customer service approach from one of the most successful companies of all time. They really focus on education and building interpersonal skills plus the technical skills.

ConsITS RETAIL. If you want to be in retail long term then its a great place to work and grow. Only a select few actually make it to corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance was a real challenge. The job just absorbs you. Take a better look at growth paths outside the standard positions.

Great job where your training positions you to be confident and supported.

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsAmazing coworkers, thorough training process, perks, never a dull moment.

ConsA bit overwhelming at times, constantly on your feet (it's a big store).

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Overall great!

Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBrilliant and committed peers, caring leaders, great benefits! It's exciting to be part of company that is always striving to be the best. It's contagious, making you want to jump on the train! You are always challenged to be the best, thus, never leaving you feeling bored or unchallenged.

ConsWith the velocity of the business, people development can get lost or forgotten.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the PEOPLE, regardless of how busy you get!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't Mix Business with Retail!

Business Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWorking for a top brand selling great products. Customers love Apple products.

ConsOverall an extremely disappointing experience for me. I loved Apple before I worked for them. I quickly learned that the retail stores are not a professional environment. And there's a lack of integrity that I found to be too frustrating for me so I quit! Not my thang.....

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some moles into the retail stores and markets and you'll find out what I'm talking about.

Great culture to be a part of.

Expert (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe perks of the status "I work for Apple." Being surrounded by tons of people who know just about everything regarding Apple software/hardware. My co-workers were a plethora of computer knowledge and I was able to further mine by being surrounded by such fantastic people. The work schedule wasn't difficult and the work/life balance was good. The store meetings were fun and entertaining and the discounts were standard in any computer type job.

ConsPay. I know that's the heartache of every company, but for the workload some of your employees get paid well below their worth.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management, please don't forget where you came from. Get your hands dirty. It's discouraging just watching you standing there with your iPad thinking you're above everyone else and not helping customers directly. Learn something, knowledge is power. If a customer comes up to you and asks you a question, be prepared to answer it. Don't just pass them off.

Great for the first view years

Apple Family Room Specialist (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat people, strong bonds. Awesome benefits, and unique training/ employee assistance.

ConsNot much room to grow. Plenty of lateral movements, but no real growth opportunities in upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the employees, they have great ideas

One of the best jobs in retail you will ever find.

Specialist (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIt's a very stimulating job with many different levels of complexity that require a balance of tech savviness and more importantly, people skills. One of the best parts of this job is constantly providing solutions for customers. While that might sound cheesy, if you know what you're doing, you will make your customer happy 9/10 times. The management at my store are super nice and understanding but also know when to challenge us. No complaints so far! This is definitely a job to be proud of.

ConsSometimes you have customers who are rude and disrespectful but that is to be expected at most retail jobs I suppose.

Excellent company that cares about its people

Specialist (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsApple cares deeply about its employees, even in its retail operations. They highly value personal growth within the company, giving you opportunities to be better at what you do everyday. Within the stores, they even have specialised trainers whose job it is to help you improve on skills ranging from speaking, interpersonal, and sales. I also received ample support from the team. Lots of great benefits are also in store for even part-time workers.

ConsIt can be highly demanding, especially during the holiday seasons. But overall, they're a great company to work for and learn from.

Many pros, but tough to do for a long time

Specialist (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLots of training
    Great benefits
    TONS of training
    Looks really good on a resume
    Fun
    Good people and culture
    Management listens

ConsThe pay is very low
    Retail hours are tough, and there is almost no flexibility with scheduling
    It is a real challenge to switch from part-time to full-time
    It takes some time to move up, and each promotion is not a huge increase in pay
    Bureaucracy and corporate mentality

Advice to Senior ManagementEven though it's mandated that you get feedback from employees, make sure you have an open, non-defensive, attitude when you listen to them. Be understanding if someone makes a scheduling request, even if you can't approve it.

Rewarding, but left me wanting more.

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIn my store, I worked with a lot of smart interesting people. They did a great job creating an environment with people who cared about doing there job well. Great benefits, very little micromanagement.

ConsThe expectations they have you contrasted with their unwillingness to further your career is unbelievably frustrating. Being a part-timer gives you little to no ability to move within the company. You are happy when people leave, because you know they are off to somewhere better. The pay is good enough to keep low motivated liberal art graduates around, but not enough to make you want to stay. It is impossible to make a career there unless you want to be a manager. And I don't know why youd want to.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement drinks the kool-aid, and some of it is warranted, but a lot of it is not. It's hard to get straight talk from someone who works higher up.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!