Apple

4,257 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,368 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

1,112 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

One of the best Silicon Valleys at present

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time

Pros

Apple currently offers competitive salaries and benefits, interesting projects, smart colleagues and a comfortable workplace.

Of note is Apple's contribution to the 401(k) plan. For the first two years, the maximum matching contribution is 3%, but increases to 4.5% after two years of tenure and to 6% after fives years of tenure. Other employers such as Oracle and (before the Oracle acquisition) Sun offered only a 3% maximum matching contribution. And the Apple matching contribution vests immediately, unlike for example HP where the matching contribution vests only after three long years; incredibly, HP will confiscate its matching contribution if you leave HP for any reason prior to three years. Apple won't.

Also, Apple's medical insurance is top-notch, easily besting for example the medical insurance of HP. With HP's lowest-deductible health plan, a $3,000 MRI will cost you $750 out of pocket ($500 deductible plus 10% of $3,000 less the $500 deductible) whereas with Apple the MRI will cost you nothing out of pocket. Apple's medical insurance is among the best that I've seen in Silicon Valley, and rivals that of Oracle and Sun.

Cons

My only complaint is that Apple is hiring so rapidly into my department that we all have to share an office with another employee. Perhaps when we move to the new "spaceship" campus I'll get a private office.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Excellence is your daily bottom-line

Current Employee - Apple Retail - Expert in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Apple Retail - Expert in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A remarkable group of people, of all walks of life, all age groups, ethnicities, education and experience work together very hard, every day. The real challenge is to stay true to yourself -- the very reason why you were hired -- while polishing your knowledge and developing a broader emotional intelligence. The structure built in to insure you do great is there. You need to ask if you need help, stay put, never give up, strive to better yourself, because the company will be there to support you. Choose your mentors, become a mentor to others. Make sure you stay generous of your talent, give something back in return for what you receive, every day.

Cons

Ever-changing schedules can be hard to combine with a very full family life, or a full-time student load. There is a great career development path, but it must be fulfilling a business need relevant to the retail location where you work. Fast-track-style careerists may get frustrated.

Regularly-scheduled time off the sales floor to access those learning experiences, complete a certification etc.

Apple undoubtedly the best employer I have worked for so far!

Current Employee - Localization Project Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Localization Project Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great team. Great work environment. Excellent place for innovation and creativity. Good salary and free Apples :)

Cons

Nothing really to add as negative.

Bring your best

Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Apple is the type of place where you can do the best work of your life. They have all the resources and incredibly high expectations.

They also pay their employees well, provide tons of training opportunities, and have great products to work on. In other companies, I sometimes had to compromise an idea to bring it in under budget. That very rarely happens to truly great ideas at Apple.

Additionally, I found that my personal values were very in line with the overall compass of the company.

Cons

It's exceptionally intense. So respect for personal time can exist as long as you work for the right person. If you don't, that can be a bad thing.

Also as I understand it now, the group I was in has grown so big it's lost some of its magic. They've had a hard time maintaining the consistency of greatness that was a little easier when the team was smaller.

Focus on quality. Make sure you're bringing in great folks and stay true to what has made Apple so incredible.

My Org is Great, But I Can Only Vouch for Mine

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Each R&D org has its own culture. I love mine, but I've heard stories from other groups that sound unpleasant to work for.

It's such a huge company that there are always positions in other groups if you are interesting in changing jobs.

Cons

The secrecy gets in the way of open collaboration.

I've been pretty impressed with the upper mgmt. I'm not in any position to offer advice there.

Great company

Current Employee - Genius in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Genius in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, great opportunities

Cons

Highly political for upward movement

Best retail job for personal and creative outlet

Current Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Apple part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the freedom of being who I am and enjoying working with people. The culture of Apple is amazing and the best at taking customers through a journey. Working at Apple not only changed my way of life, thinking, and values but to see the difference I make one person at a time. I love that everyone is a family and is encourage to provide feedback.

Cons

Personal development is encouraged but not as supported as expected to be. Opportunities for growth is limited due to positions available.

Love it

Current Employee - Global Supply Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Global Supply Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Passion, Pay, Team, Experience and Products

Cons

Taxing and Exhausting. Not very family friendly.

Should be more family friendly

OK place to work. Lots of turnover

Former Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great brand and great for your resume

Cons

Not happy with the way they treat employees

Try harder to listen to us and make sure you care about your employees

Intern for less than a year

Former Employee - Software Engineering in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very clean place, many talented coworkers, great competition, great salary and interesting projects

Cons

Management is a bit conservative, fairly reactive, depending on your manager the project can be real engineering or just documenting all day

Listen to the engineers, take a bit more risks