Apple

4,003 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,212 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

70 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Unlike any other retail job

Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apple part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fantastic people,well-managed fun atmosphere, good training, great benefits (even for PT), very good pay for retail, discounts on all their products,

Cons

Can be tiring, would have liked more hands-on training, dealing with irate or distraught customers can be frustrating

Best retail job ever.

Current Employee - Apple Genius in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Apple Genius in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on the store there is strong support from your managers. Most of your co-workers are people who are contributing to the arts in in an incredible way.

Cons

Every retail job has crazy customers. At Apple you get a great taste at how un-human people are. Some fail to notice that they are entering a store that doesn't revolve around them.

Don't ask your team members, especially Geniuses to be flexible. It puts more stress on us.
    Back us up and follow through when we are trying to stay true to policies, don't deviate because it makes us look like idiots and we have not done our job.

Good place to work with good managers... otherwise it can be hard

Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture and many of the coworkers are great. Pays fair for retail but not enough to really make a solid living at. It is a part time job and won't deliver quite what I'd be looking for in the future (with more flexibility and better pay).

Cons

The managers can be micromanaging and I know that sounds like I'm not trying to work. I'm honestly good at what I do and am rated very high by my customers and am in the top 5 in all categories for part timers. Yet they still are challenging and not trusting me to do what is right for the customer. I haven't done anything to warrant that and honestly have been a good employee - delivering great sales and support. There are just a few managers that shouldn't and that can really make work exhausting when you don't trust the leadership.

It should be easier to get promoted within the company. Majority of the mangers within the company are external hires which makes it really discouraging to allow for people to move up. Also a gross difference in pay and the fact that mangers get bonuses if we hit certain revenue levels bothers me. They talk about focusing only on customer experience but at the end of the day they are micromanaging so they can hit their bonuses.

A terrific company with change happening daily. Leaders constantly challenged to know their business in detail.

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing people all working to achieve extraordinarily high standards of work. Personalities are often larger than life with razor sharp business acumen and commitment to doing great things.

Cons

Organization often allows senior leaders with personality challenges to run their organizations with little regard for junior managers. Accountability at senior levels is paramount, but less senior managers should not be victimized by character deficiencies at the top.

Keep up the great work.

Apple retail

Current Employee - Apple Genius in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Apple Genius in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are great, the products are amazing and the people you work with will be some of the best.

Cons

Work life balance is hard. Its retail, so you'll work black friday and christmas eve. It isn't always easy to get the days you want off.

Great people, great products but will CONSUME YOUR VERY LIFE!

Current Employee - IOS Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IOS Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great products. Rewarding most of the time. Management is respectful and responsive. Very little micro-managing.

Cons

The Apple 'culture' will require you to get sucked into a ceaseless, never ending work life with very little 'real' life to speak of - even a part timer will find themselves work 6-7 very stressful days in a row, with one day off to recoup and you're right back at it. For part-timers, Apple will ride the cusp of what's considered full time with their part time employees so they don't have to offer benefits like paid sick days or paid vacation.

GIVE YOUR EMPLOYEES CONSISTENT TIME OFF TO HEAL THEIR MINDS AND BODIES. They should not be expected to be 'consumer punching bags' for so many days in a row. Adhere to part time hours as a PART TIME JOB or offer full-time sick day and vacation day benefits to your part timers as well. You have hundreds of billions of dollars and your retail employees are right on the front lines - GIVE THEM REST AND RECOMPENSE.

Great experience, great company, average money

Current Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Supportive positive atmosphere, great management, excellent discount options, and there are multiple departments that you can advance to within 1-2 years if not sooner. And you have the pride of working for an amazing company!

Cons

The salary isnt very competitive with other IT companies, possibly because it a work at home environment. They tech discounts and stock options do help indeed, but a higher salary would definitely help.

Best job for college EVER

Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apple full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is AMAZING. I'm a senior in college and even without my degree, I'm making more than my friends that have graduated make with office jobs. You'll get what you put in.Everyone you work with is valuable and talented so expect to be challenged all the time.

Cons

It can be monotonous in between product launches. It's also REALLY hard to get promoted. Most people have to leave, work somewhere else, then come back to get a higher position.

Slow down. Develop relationships. Recognize your high performing individuals more and compensate them accordingly. Not everyone wants a monetary raise. Sometimes, giving more responsibility and autonomy will go much further.

Applicant Interview -- non-Employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apple (less than an year)

Pros

Working with a great product.

Cons

~Working with less-than-professional sales staff.
    ~Too much blue Kool-Aid too often.
    ~Loud work environment. Deafening music, loud employees, and alarms going off every 5 minutes.

Find real leadership to head up your retail stores. Many of the "managers" are completely clueless when it comes to dealing with customer and employee issues.

Great.

Current Employee - Expert in Deer Park, IL
    Current Employee - Expert in Deer Park, IL

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a high performance work environment that is consistently challenging and rewarding.

Cons

None that come to mind.

Keep up the great work!