Apple

Apple CEO Tim Cook

Tim Cook

(1,571 ratings)

3,122 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits package if you're lucky enough to get full-time"
    in 182 reviews
  • "Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers"
    in 177 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours"
    in 157 reviews
  • "could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors"
    in 127 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Mediocre at best

Technical Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple full-time

ProsThis job hired me with no technical support experience, I only had to pass an online test. The training was intense and had no tolerance policy for ANY absence. It is an opportunity to get your foot in the door for technical support. And to prove, if you haven't had measureable success before that you can learn impressive amounts and maintain strict attendance and statistical requirements. The job, as a whole, is stressful but can be rewarding.

ConsIt was not worth it at all for 10.35 an hour. There are only positions available through a temp agency. You go through an intensive training and learn products inside out. Then a 2 week additional on-the-job training. They also create a competitive environment during training for shifts but are not careful with keeping scores and attendance. The management was absolutely inattentive and I have never felt more like 1 in 1000. They had us sign an attendance policy 2 weeks after it went into effect. And did not provide a copy. Ultimately, it was the actual physical room that made me leave. No natural light.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more

My experience was absolutely dreadful.

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree Apple products...if that is a pro. The job does pay pretty well if you can avoid putting a gun to your head for long enough to deposit your paychecks.

ConsBasically everything else. Everything from the management down to the customers...absolutely painful. I have no idea why Apple is so highly rated. Apparently I forgot to attend the employee brainwashing sessions.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit while you're behind.

Great Pay, Bad Work/Life Balance

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
Appleton, WI

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood Pay, Good Benefits, Educational

ConsLack of Work/Life Balance, Management can sometimes be very micro managing.

Disappointing experience but then again, they fired even their founder

I have been working at Apple part-time for less than a year

Prosconvenient of working from home

Consmisleading job post and unsupporttive management

Advice to Senior Managementdefine a culture that employees can trust in your willingness to support them from the time you hire them and throughout. by doing that you will have employee morale and if employees are happy, your customers are happy.

Despite the reputation, the amazing products and the glossy stores: one horrible place to work

Family Room Specialist (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent benefits, name recognition and a small discount

ConsLittle or no chance of advancement. For a company that claims "our soul are our people" they work you like a dog, and make little or no effort to help grow their staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay. Real schedules. You need to you re-vamp your internal process for advancement...oh and stop treating the front line retail staff like cattle.

There's no sugar-coating retail, no matter how valuable the company may be.

Creative (Apple Store) (Former Employee)
South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits for San Francisco employees. Free parking and public transportation are huge pluses.

ConsSpoiled, privileged customers, coupled with severely underpaid and overworked employees working inconsistent hours in a constantly noisy and crowded store. Along with intentionally prohibitive management on corporate career paths provides very little incentive, motivation and morale for employees to care about anything.

Tim Cook and his board runs a tight ship, makes the company profitable and has no need to care about expendable retail employees. No matter how its employees are treated, Apple Retail will always be the shining beacon to those who have never worked within its walls.

I will never work retail, ever again.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees can't pay rent with pretentious "thank you's," no matter how much you think you mean it when you say it to them.

discrimination at it's finest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Apple as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsGreat work environment with co-workers in the US, open atmosphere, good training opportunities

ConsApple is not the same Apple overseas and they will blatantly discriminate against you if they don't like you because you're different. I was roped into taking a job for them in Europe and from day one, I dealt with a jealous, combative, paranoid, discriminating boss that was so 'un-Apple' it was almost frightening. This resulted in a lawsuit which they lost. I'll leave it at that.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop allowing managers to discriminate just because it's hard to find employees.

Don't waste your time

Developer Support (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than a year

ProsPaid Time off and get to go home early in rare circumstances

ConsYou are at the mercy of your manager, if you have one that micromanages it makes the experience miserable by tenfold.

Most of the people who end up as managers are only good at brown nosing and have no management skills.

If you have any career ambitions you will look back on any amount of time you spent here and think it was a giant waste of time because you don't develop any sort of skills working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop managing people to only meet whatever metrics your superiors want met you are running the well dry.

You realize afterwards it was the wrong choice.....

iOS at home advisor (Former Employee)
Cork (Ireland)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

Prosstandard big company benefits, decent discounts on gadgets, 30% sunday shift bonus, 39 hours week

Consbe careful with the at home advisor offer, they don´t pay for the space, electricity nor heating and you´re responsible for the safety of the equipment...
they lack of transparency and they tell you after a week that you won't get paid if your internet or phone are down of no fault of yours and you don't get paid if the system is down as well (happens rarely though)
if this happens 5 times you loose your job
they also don't give the exact description and measures of the desk chair and work area they want until a week after you join...
also the only thing they reimburse is the internet and that happens with a delay of 3 months so for example you get refunded for january eventually in april...and you need to chase them
be aware that you´ll be receiving calls 8 seconds after a call finishes which could drive you crazy...you don't even have time to drink water and it rings again...if you tell the manager about it...you get an aggressive face asking" so what now, think about it you can't cope with that? it´s gonna be always busy like that..."
your work is simply and ridiculously judged according to customer surveys, specifically a graphic....and that could make you loose your job very very easily and don't even try to argue that it´s not your fault the customer had to wait long (sometimes up to 30 minutes -not enough advisors-) or apple has very high repair prices or even that the colleagues before you just messed up and you receive the survey.... NONE will listen...the surveys don't get deleted so no effort is really made there...which is scandalous
the turn around is very very high so none is worried about firing few agents...they have 3 or more training classes in one year and they hire people from abroad so they don't waist time checking anything...statistic ok you stay...not ok you go!!!
theres a lack of consistency...for one advisor is one metric very important for the other another metric...so you´ll never know...you just could be fired although the most important metric is showing 100% but the less important one doesn't meet the standard....it could be just 4% missing that makes you loose your job....
I never in my working life had to tell a customer to please just consider my job and not the other factors when they evaluate the survey because that could make me loose my job....I had to do it with apple....you handle up to 60 calls a day and you are evaluated for an average of 35 surveys a month...also don't even try to argue about that!!!
shifts are pure luck...dont count there on having a work life balance!
Also BEWARE when they tell you the salary will increase to a specific amount after 6 months...it just doesn't happen...or you´re told oh it depends on performance now or there will be no increase this year.....so you just hear and read people leaving....
when you decide to work from home think that theres no career progression at all (not what they make you think in the interview or later), so you´ll be stuck doing that dull boring and often stressful calls every 8 seconds...when asked about moving back to the office the answer is theres no chair for you here or you apply and we will see....
Be careful with the interviewers they are just wolfs in lambs clothes.....management is incredibly careless...
it´s very hard to keep your self motivated working for a company that doesn't care about you and your future....
there is a struggle to keep things positive and avoid the truth when its criticism or it gets a bit negative...some advisors even get away being aggressive to others during work only for the sake to keep things positive...
it´s a very stubborn company, if they would only invest genuinely in the welfare and retention of their advisors like they invest in their design....it could be a good company to work for
All in all Apple big name big shame you realize you did a mistake joining them when it´s already too late....

Advice to Senior Managementif things are this way it means that you want them this way.....lucky you, you get away with it and even get well paid for it...

IS&T is Toxic

ERP Developer (Current Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMeet lots of interesting people.

ConsThis review is of the very toxic IS&T department. Steer clear of this department. The environment is discriminatory... those who are most incompetent get promoted, while the brightest and most hardworking are demoted if they question long-standing traditions or processes. 90% of workers are on H1B visas straight from India. Work is sloppy and timelines are ridiculously fast. There is no focus on or appreciation of quality. The business units for which software is implemented are not seen as important. There is a spirit of secrecy and fear. The department needs a major overhaul in management which should come directly from Tim Cook. The atmosphere is downright disgusting.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR should listen to employee concerns.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Apple CEO Tim Cook. All 3,122 reviews posted anonymously by Apple employees.