Apple
3.9 of 5 3,436 reviews
www.apple.com Cupertino, CA 5000+ Employees

Apple Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits with above average pay scales for most departments"
    in 195 reviews
  • "Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers"
    in 185 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours"
    in 168 reviews
  • "could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors"
    in 131 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Things aren't as great as they seem from the outside.

Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe people I work with are the redeeming quality about this job. Without having great co-workers, it wouldn't be manageable. The benefits are also fantastic.

ConsThe amount of stress and over crowding that goes on in the store because it's so small and we have so much influx of clients on top of the amount of employees is a bit much. Corporate keeps denying a bigger store but we break fire code daily. All of this on top of angry customers makes for a very poor workplace. They seem to hire whoever for whatever. Experience doesn't matter and new hires tend to get paid more than the people who have been there for years.
    They hold so much emphasis on growth and helping you to move up in the company but they do nothing to back it up, mostly because they are always "too busy."

Advice to Senior ManagementFocusing on what is said will be done would be a huge improvement. Having the store leader work in the store I think would give them a better idea of how things really are. As business increases and cost of living goes up a pay increase to help keep the employees happy would go a long way.

I learned quite a bit of information and how to talk to people, but raises and promotions after 3 were next to nothing.

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Former Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsPeople seem to respect the fact that you work for Apple. Apple trains its employees how to communicate well with people. Diverse people to work with. Decent discounts, not great! Health insurance is decent. Guaranteed 15min breaks and lunches. They used to work really well with Part-time employee scheduling, but right before I left they were cracking down on wanting employees to work more without added benefits. On launch days, food and drink was provided for staff.

ConsEven though I had a very high percentage of sales in certain areas and they gave me praise I never got promoted. One reason stated by a manager was that I was doing to well in the area that I was in so and they couldn't afford to lose me to another area of the store, ie. Genius. I then asked for a raise and only annual raises are given...A mere .45 cents. Work almost full-time hours without the full-time pay or benefits. For a company that is the most profitable in the world, you would think they would kick back a bit more for their employees.

Apple needs to figure out a better way to get the message across to customers on how the store operates. I spent so much time getting yelled at by unsatisfied customers because they didn't know they were suppose to check in or where to purchase an item. They greatly need to increase the staff for the amount of traffic each store receives on a daily basis. This understaffing lead to many unsatisfied customers taking it out on employees which in turn make for a very trying day, which turns into every work day.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire people off the streets when someone has been working in the store and is qualified for the position/promotion. Promote with-in when employees are performing to above satisfactory expectations. Learn how to keep the staff happy. When morale goes down people tend to hate their job and look elsewhere. Our particular store lost about 20 people in 2 weeks and 2 months later had lost aprx. 35-40 people total. That is a sign of bad management!

Cog in the wheel

Named Accounts Manager (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsBest benefits out there, the discount is pretty slick and hey, you work for Apple.

ConsI worked retail at Best Buy and didn't feel so much as a cog as I did at Apple. In retail, you can progress quickly and do well and be recognised. At Apple Corporate, I knew people who'd been in the same middle-management job for 15 years. In a company growing at the rate of Apple, that's frightening.

Couple that with the compartmentalisation within Apple and it's hard to move around or up. People get too specialised and therefore, stuck.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, but thinking different discouraged

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsTo a large extent, Apple is amazing. I was within the tech support call center management, and both my employees and my coworkers were brilliant and amazing. The "bosses" tend to also be great people, with an occasional (albeit notable) exception. They do respect work/life balance, and there's a hefty program for development in terms of you career within the company. On the corporate side, there's also intangible benefits like "casual attire" (namely, don't come to work naked), monthly parties (with and without alcohol), an on-site gym, etc.

ConsThe biggest problem I found was that the dedication to secrecy that Apple is known for is disseminated down to the lowest positions. There were multiple times were we weren't given enough information to adequately prepare for our jobs, or prepare for product releases. I also found that if you wanted to give feedback to decision-makers, your feedback was generally treated like you were a cute child, with a head-pat as they sent you along your way. Sometimes it felt like Apple was torn between wanting to reinvent the wheel every time a new decision came up, and going with a super-corporate, super-strict method that works in other companies, but not with the type of person that Apple has historically hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy biggest piece of advice to management would be to not only solicit feedback from employees, but actually listen to it. Even if it costs a bit more money to implement the feedback, the benefit of happy employees will vastly increase their productivity, and decrease the turnover. In short, don't just pay lip service to employee feedback. Also, when making decisions that fundamentally alter peoples' lives, whether it be their day-to-day lives (such as their work schedule), or their lives as a whole (changing benefits, etc.), give people plenty of advanced warning. At least two months is needed for even fairly minor day-to-day life changes.

I am only limited by myself.

Wireless Multi-Media Technical Support (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsJob security and the pride of working for the best company in the world where creativity and ideas are more important than experience and excellence is the rule, not the exception.

ConsNon salary employees rotate schedules every 3 months. OT requirements during Christmas and working Christmas.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs Steve told Tim, continue to do what is right! Keep the foundation of creativity and excellence Steve built intact and flourishing. We are leaders in every area of our business...keep it up!

Awesome place to work coolest technologies on earth

QA Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsExcellent colleagues
    Immense growth
    Cool technologies
    Nice projects
    Can switch to various teams

ConsNo free lunches, gym etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the great work !!

Apple is a fast growing, fast developing company that inspires employees and customers to be better all around.

Specialist (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsThe people are great, the atmosphere is enticing, the product is desirous, and the job is fun. I am a people person and a tech nerd and love getting paid to talk about a product that I love and provide great service to people that I know will find value in what I do and the product they buy. The company is at the forefront of technology and has endless potential with an increasing customer base. Great company to work for and work with as I develop myself and do my best to help my peers grow too.

ConsBiggest con is the fact that its retail, not always the best hours, but management works with us for our schedule.
    Not enough time in the day to develop myself in order to progress from position to position because the traffic is so heavy. I need to take more initiative in this area however. Could find some ways to help retail employees have more incentive: free products or fun, non-customer affected contests (not suggesting commission, but metric based things...?)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and continue to encourage us to develop and pursue what we want out of this company!

I have had a lot of fun, have learned a lot and working at Apple has definitely been a great experience.

Family Room Specialist (Current Employee)
    Salem, NH

ProsApple provides their employees with great growth opportunities. The management lets you achieve and develop on your own, without pushing or prodding you into roles you don't necessarily want. They expect you to own your own development and to push yourself to be better.

ConsWhile Apple pays better relative to other retail environments, considering Apple's massive cash assets and the knowledge their employees are expected to display, I would expect them to compensate their employees somewhat better. Apple's attitude on the matter is that their work environment is an "experience" which is as rewarding as cash compensation. While I understand and appreciate the value of this work environment, you can't pay the bills with "experience."

Advice to Senior ManagementI would consider compensating employees better. I have seen far too many extremely talented and dedicated people leave Apple simply because another position pays much better.

Amazing

Manager (Current Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsI get to learn more about Technology more, and of course I get to use or see never seen before stuff..

ConsWell..There's almost nothing..But if I need to choose sometimes or usually there is so many people that comes in so that it is really hard..

Advice to Senior ManagementI think it is always smiling.. being nice..Just be in a good mood so that customers will be happy too

It's a great place to work, but hard to advance to career positions.

Lyndhurst, OH

ProsI know I'm lucky to say I truly enjoy my job. The work is fun. It's great, because we're always busy, which means there no boring lulls. Customers can sometimes be "needy", but the majority are great. Management keeps things fun.

ConsIt's hard to advance in the store, but thats a compliment (in a way) to Apple (for choosing good employees).

Advice to Senior ManagementIt really brings down employee morale when external candidates are chosen for promotions, over employees who have put in a decent amount of time and deserve a promotion.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Apple CEO Tim Cook. All 208 reviews posted anonymously by Apple employees.