Apple
3.9 of 5 3,100 reviews
www.apple.com Cupertino, CA 5000+ Employees

Apple Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits package if you're lucky enough to get full-time"
    in 182 reviews
  • "Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers"
    in 177 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours"
    in 157 reviews
  • "could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors"
    in 127 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Don't change the model, it's working.

Specialist (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apple

ProsOpportunity to learn a great deal about the products. Flexible work arrangement. Great group of people to work with and to learn from while enjoying superior products.

ConsProduct knowledge of new releases have to be learned, generally, on the day of the release.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change the model, it's working. The store is one of the busiest retailers in the neighborhood for a reason.

Either you'll love it or have a psychotic episode

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apple

ProsYou're at one of the leading companies in the world. Where if you play you're cards right it might lead to growth in both the retail and corporate life at Apple. If you're really smart you will be proactive and take all teh little benefits that come your way and make as much from it for personal growth.

ConsFan boys and egos run a muck at the company. People forget the little tings and just good judgment. Too many people sometimes play favorites.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat people like kids. Some of the people on the floor are just as competent to have your job. The ego's that run rampant at the retail level is astonishing. I can't understand why some people because maybe the fan boy in them, have reached apple at this stage choose to loose sight of everyday things.

Chance to change the world

Senior Director, Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Apple

ProsPassionate, devoted, creative employees. Bleeding edge, great products. Industry visionary and leader. Average compensation, stock has been great.

ConsLong hours and demanding schedules are a downside for some. Limited flow of information.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more projects in parallel

Not bad overall

Concierge (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Apple

ProsThe work environment is fast-paced and the people genuinely care, at least for the most part. There is a strong sense of community within the store, and it has been a great place to develop friendships and to learn. Some days you get the chance to really make a customer's day, or to turn a bad situation into a positive one, and that can be very rewarding. The chance to make a customer's day is worth coming to work for in the morning, and management is (mostly) supportive of employees who go out of their way to do this, which is encouraging.

ConsSecrecy hurts the company - employees are given limited information about important company news and events. Also, the tremendous volume of customers a store handles in a single day makes the pace incredibly stressful at times, and you are often forced to multi-task to the limit of your ability to comprehend. Customers can be extremely rude if they feel they've been slighted by the company, which seems to be frequent, as many people today have a sense of entitlement the size of California. The company also expects you to be a "team player" i.e. devote a generous portion of your free time to your work schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote based on how an employee treats customers, not how they perform financially. Give more employees the chance at full-time status if they want it.

Challenging a great place to work

I have been working at Apple

ProsKeeps you on your toes, always improving. Great HR services.

ConsCan be competitive at times, and everyone is very busy... almost too busy.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd like more communication between departments just cause I'm an Apple fan, but it makes sense why certain things are kept in secret.

Apple is simply amazing!

In-House Counsel (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple

ProsIt is one of the most exciting tech companies in the world that is re-writing history with it's amazing products. The compensation and benefits are great. And the work environment is ideal.

ConsThe food is subsidized but not free, like other employers. And my commute is long. While Apple does provide free shuttle services to San Francisco, East Bay and San Jose, there is no shuttle service to my city. I wish there were better commute options for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and vision, and keep providing incentives to Apple employees to design and develop market leading consumer technology products.

Steve is a gifted marketeer, in knowing what people will buy, and when to bring new ideas to market.

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple

ProsA chance to say you work for a "cool" company, that outsiders admire for the most part. There's also a chance to be involved in a great innovative energy that you might not get elsewhere. Sort of a halo effect from the creativity that occurs all over, not just in engineering.
At the end of the day, its nice to be recognized for being part of the effort. All in all, its a good community to be involved with.

ConsThe caste system between engineers and all who are not. Includes pay, smugness, attitude. People who aren't engineers are sometimes regarded as less intellectual, even though the work might be very creative, very important, and very mind intensive.
You have use the F-word, "flexible", more times than one cares to count.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your foundation and support structure to keep the roof from caving in. There's a significant team supporting the folks who create new products and marketing ideas. Many have decades of experience here, bringing invaluable tribal knowledge to the table.

A great place to work for days on end without a break.

QA Test Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple

ProsThe company is charged and on a roll. Products are exciting and the recognition is good for the ego. If you want to get to the heart of all things Apple, you need to work there. Few outside experts exist. The facilities are top notch, the food great (and subsidized) and the general culture makes day-to-day interactions easy. The benefits package offers the best healthcare (United), a 401k match, stock options plan, health club, and an extensive discount-sharing program with third party vendors.

ConsToo much work for engineering teams. Most Directors/VPs want to hire more engineers, but they fail to hire enough QA to support them. QA is strained to the hilt throughout, especially in Mac Engineering, iPod and iPhone. Though management promises to do better, projects generally end up demanding weekend after weekend of commitment, or risk being labeled "not a team player." Most entry-level QA positions pay below the market average, and demand more time. In the end, Steve Jobs stands up at a comm meeting and offers a round of applause for everyone's families, but no profit sharing.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate the distribution of head count, and push more folks into to QA to continue to support the industry-leading quality customers expect. Recent quality failures like me.com and it's services, and rapid-response updates for iPhone clearly illustrate the need for more people to get the quality up to a higher standard.

Some change is needed

Anonymous (Former Employee)

I worked at Apple

ProsBenefits and time off. The benefits are very good. So is the time off and vacations. I also think there is good work life balance. California laws allow for great benefits. Steve Jobs is revered at the company. Is seems to be a great leader and everyone is excited about the products. Employee discounts on products are a plus too.

ConsStucture needed for a growing company. As the organization get bigger, the organization will need to change how they go to market and the processes that the organization employs. The organization opposes this becauses it changes the company culture, but there is a way to balance maintaining the culture with structure needed for a growing organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange is needed for a growing organization.

You won't be the smartest kid in class

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Apple

ProsApple hires very well; your coworkers will be extremely talented and smart. You can learn a lot, fast, and you have the satisfaction of working for one of the best loved brands in the world. Too, the employee perks are good and getting better, albeit under pressure from GOOG.

ConsIt is a personality driven organization, and only those personalities that match the screaming tantrum thrower at the top seem to get ahead. The secrecy is beyond fastidious and is in fact insultingly petty and political, and often is an impediment to actually getting one's work done. Communication is not a skill that is prized or rewarded and thus is naturally underdeveloped to the point of atrophy. We're remunerated well, but not as well as perhaps we might be.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, but pay more attention to company-wide communication over direction, succession, &c.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Apple CEO Tim Cook. All 279 reviews posted anonymously by Apple employees.