Apple

Apple CEO Tim Cook

Tim Cook

(1,795 ratings)

3,432 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits with above average pay scales for most departments"
    in 195 reviews
  • "Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers"
    in 185 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours"
    in 168 reviews
  • "could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors"
    in 131 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ok experience

Agreement Administrative (Former Employee)
    Cork (Ireland)

ProsBenefits including health cover, life assurance, pension scheme and sick pay scheme according to contract of employment.

ConsCompany's culture

Rowdy hiring process

Obvious and persistent salary discrepancies among employees

Training serves no purpose

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall the experience was not that bad. The company is still growing and sets new records every time a new product comes out, and this necessarily translates into opportunities. The atmosphere is pretty laid back and you never have to worry about the way you dress. The only problem though is the lack of transparency. Employees know nothing about what is going on. The management comes up with some "new resolutions" that often do not make sense. The management is also heavy on friendship and the best employees all end up leaving the place at some point for not being rewarded. I found the management rowdy and rough with some employees on many occasions. You will work 7-day shift (soon graveyards?). You get absolutely no bonus for working one language or several. Apple the brand is appealing. The employer is a different story.

Extremely disappointing treatment of employees

Genius (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsI was a Genius for about a year. There was a lot to love about the job - good pay, flexible hours (I loved working night shifts), (mostly) good people, and good discounts. I loved being able to fix computers for hours a day, and it felt great to help people solve their problems.

ConsThe particular store I worked at had very poor management. I was eventually fired even though I had documented evidence of my coworkers harassing me and deliberately trying to get me fired. The manager who fired me refused to transfer me to another store. HR wouldn't reconsider the termination, even after directly explaining the harassment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe HR rep who took my termination case was completely incompetent. She had no sense of empathy for my situation, and when I told her verbatim some of the inappropriate things that had been said to me during my employment, she told me "I wasn't there, so I can't comment on that". The company needs better human resources people who understand that their job isn't just protecting the reputation of the company.

Not worth pursuing

Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsOther than the name of the company, working at Apple wasn't really rewarding.

ConsThe ancillary departments such as Customer Support do not have really good caliber management or people working there. The management has been there for well over a decade so it's very stagnant.

Advice to Senior ManagementKick out the dead beat management in IST and all the ancillary departments such as CS.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worth the experience gained. Glad it is over.

Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThis job started off as one of the coolest, most interesting things to happen to me (job-wise). I made so many good friends and connections through Apple retail. I will have those connections for life. Perks were great, discounts were great, location was great. I was really pleased in how the management was more flexible then I imagined before I was hired on. Everything seemed great at the start, but now you'll want to read the Cons.

ConsWhere do I begin? Most customers lack basic common sense with electronic gadgets. Then they have the gall to call you a greenhorn and scoff at you because of their ignorance. Highly distasteful attitudes from customers that didn't get their way. I worked in a high end part of town and all the Elites shopped.

I felt that everyone in the Genius Bar area had their head so far up the backside that any new-hire was a complete newcomer and knew absolutely nothing about computers. Very disappointing to work with know-it-alls every day. I will say that there was a nice hazing at first. Instead of the bad hazing, I was treated overly nice for the first three months.

There's a ton of training that is involved when you're first hired on. There's always a push to do it all within a really small amount of time. It's usually always busy in any of the Apple retail stores. When it comes down to the wire, the hustle you like no tomorrow.

Management was somewhat of a disappointment. I have to say that the management is under extreme pressure to do things a certain way, so that is my grain of salt for this situation. Expect them to constantly remind you of "this" and "that." They seemed to be constantly overwhelmed and would forget about lunch breaks, things of that nature.

I didn't like how some of the management would talk down to you. How everything is so beautiful, wonderful, devine and enchanted. How it's a privilege to work for Apple. Apple has the privilege of hiring on some of the most amazing people I've been around.

Being a realist, it is best to be cut and dry. Being talked down to constantly by people that are typically younger than yourself. Not very enjoyable.

It was difficult to advance in the company because of bad management situations. Set schedules for talks were always canceled and most of the folks that were a tutor/mentor would get out of there as soon as they were done with work. Same for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the people that have true talent and experience with a little more respect. Help the ones that help everyone else and genuinely want to succeed. Favoritism can be hurtful. Especially when the person they come to favor stabs them in the back (they don't know it), is on drugs half the time, and doesn't care about the future of his/her own life, or others.

False promises all around

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Cork (Ireland)

ProsHard to see any pros after a year with them

ConsWithholding pay, withholding P45, most unreliable employer I ever worked for, nepotism, no real career progression as result of the former, lack of morals

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees more and pay them. Don't try to shortchange them or delude them all the time like you do now. Don't act like you are the best employer in the world, because you aren't. You claim to do so much for your employees, but you consistently mess up payments for whole departments.

If you don't look like the ad, good luck getting promoted

Concierge (Former Employee)
    Braintree, MA

ProsVery competitive pay
    A good place to network with artistic people

ConsInconsistent direction from management
    People seem to be hired/promoted based on whether they fit the "hip" appearance they are looking for, rather than knowledge or how long they've been with the company. (Note: this may have been limited to the location I worked at - Braintree, MA, retail store)

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to each other and decide what you want your employees to do and how
    Hire and promote people based on skill
    If someone is not promoted, give honest and actionable feedback on why

Retail is a lost cause.

Retail Slave (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsApple looks great on a resume, decent discount, free pro software.

ConsLack of encouragement, opportunities and respect for my talents.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing people who love this company. This includes retail employees. We get no opportunities to grow, lack of respect, horrific pay. It's a shame. You refuse to hire people when the store is overly crowded, you give us way more tasks/responsibilities than ever before with the same pay.

Horrible place to work

Expert (Former Employee)
    Broomfield, CO

ProsThere are no pros at all

ConsWill be overworked under payed

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Stop acting like a Frat House

You'll get brainwashed and will be treated like someone with no rights or opinions.

Product Specialist (Former Employee)
    Cork (Ireland)

ProsSalary was really good, but it took me some time to see that money won't buy happiness and contentment.

ConsManagement is horrific and utterly unprofessional
    Employees are not being taken care of (I worked every(!!!) single weekend for over one year, plus late shifts for 4 months consecutively)
    Employees are treated as cash cows (see above)
    No loyalty whatsoever
    Two of my managers threatened me with termination for no decent reason and told me my leisure time would get hold off my job which needed to be talked about (WTF)
    Area managers somewhat unprofessional and narrow minded
    Career opportunities only given when crawling into other manager's backside.
    ...

This list is actually barely exhaustive.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot necessary as nobody will listen anyway.

wasn't what i thought it would be

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosgreat benefits. some cool, smart people. there is not much more then that.

Constoo big of a company. too retail oriented. losing its aura.

Advice to Senior Managementi think it's too late

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Apple CEO Tim Cook. All 3,432 reviews posted anonymously by Apple employees.