Apple

www.apple.com

Apple Reviews

Pros
  • Great benefits with above average pay scales for most departments(in 207 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers(in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours(in 190 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors(in 133 reviews)

Great Coworkers, Good Pay/Benefits, Alright Management, Terrible Communication.

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you are an artist, at all creative or just like socializing, Apple is a great place to work. The coworkers there will definitely become some of your best friends, and most customers are pretty cool too. Considering it's a non-commission based sales position the pay is very good too.

ConsSometimes it takes a serious amount of brown nosing and hoop jumping to get any sort of vertical growth within the company. Management can be distant or downright lazy. Corporate dictates many stupid rules that don't always make sense for individual stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly the best advice to give to management is to actually get to know all of your employees, and poll opinions from everyone to get the best idea of who your people actually are, not just how they act when management is around.

Interesting experience, but only for short period of time.

Specialist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLooks good on resume, some learning possible.

ConsA lot of work, low pay, very hard to be promoted, too much brain washing...

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people more and be more real

My experience has been very rewarding.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsLove for the products.
    Diversity among community.
    Very stable company.
    Exciting potential to grow within the company.
    working at apple is fun.

ConsMust be flexible with work schedule.
    Compensation is not always desirable.
    The growing pains from a small to large company

Advice to Senior ManagementTim Cook,
    The best of luck, future endeavors, and leadership guidance your new role as Apple Inc C.E.O

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Things aren't as great as they seem from the outside.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe people I work with are the redeeming quality about this job. Without having great co-workers, it wouldn't be manageable. The benefits are also fantastic.

ConsThe amount of stress and over crowding that goes on in the store because it's so small and we have so much influx of clients on top of the amount of employees is a bit much. Corporate keeps denying a bigger store but we break fire code daily. All of this on top of angry customers makes for a very poor workplace. They seem to hire whoever for whatever. Experience doesn't matter and new hires tend to get paid more than the people who have been there for years.
    They hold so much emphasis on growth and helping you to move up in the company but they do nothing to back it up, mostly because they are always "too busy."

Advice to Senior ManagementFocusing on what is said will be done would be a huge improvement. Having the store leader work in the store I think would give them a better idea of how things really are. As business increases and cost of living goes up a pay increase to help keep the employees happy would go a long way.

Cog in the wheel

Named Accounts Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsBest benefits out there, the discount is pretty slick and hey, you work for Apple.

ConsI worked retail at Best Buy and didn't feel so much as a cog as I did at Apple. In retail, you can progress quickly and do well and be recognised. At Apple Corporate, I knew people who'd been in the same middle-management job for 15 years. In a company growing at the rate of Apple, that's frightening.

Couple that with the compartmentalisation within Apple and it's hard to move around or up. People get too specialised and therefore, stuck.

I learned quite a bit of information and how to talk to people, but raises and promotions after 3 were next to nothing.

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsPeople seem to respect the fact that you work for Apple. Apple trains its employees how to communicate well with people. Diverse people to work with. Decent discounts, not great! Health insurance is decent. Guaranteed 15min breaks and lunches. They used to work really well with Part-time employee scheduling, but right before I left they were cracking down on wanting employees to work more without added benefits. On launch days, food and drink was provided for staff.

ConsEven though I had a very high percentage of sales in certain areas and they gave me praise I never got promoted. One reason stated by a manager was that I was doing to well in the area that I was in so and they couldn't afford to lose me to another area of the store, ie. Genius. I then asked for a raise and only annual raises are given...A mere .45 cents. Work almost full-time hours without the full-time pay or benefits. For a company that is the most profitable in the world, you would think they would kick back a bit more for their employees.

Apple needs to figure out a better way to get the message across to customers on how the store operates. I spent so much time getting yelled at by unsatisfied customers because they didn't know they were suppose to check in or where to purchase an item. They greatly need to increase the staff for the amount of traffic each store receives on a daily basis. This understaffing lead to many unsatisfied customers taking it out on employees which in turn make for a very trying day, which turns into every work day.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire people off the streets when someone has been working in the store and is qualified for the position/promotion. Promote with-in when employees are performing to above satisfactory expectations. Learn how to keep the staff happy. When morale goes down people tend to hate their job and look elsewhere. Our particular store lost about 20 people in 2 weeks and 2 months later had lost aprx. 35-40 people total. That is a sign of bad management!

Not flexible or understanding.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPays enough.
    Really customer oriented. I really value my time with each customer trying to help them out with their needs.

ConsCould pay more.
    Needs to be more sympathetic to full time students. They are terrible with being flexible with school schedules.
    The sheer amount of employees can be overwhelming. I feel like I'm in high school again.
    The type of employees Apple attracts can be annoying as well. If I wanted to go to Williamsburg to see a bunch of hipsters, I would have.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay is what any retail store in the city SHOULD be. So, the fact that Apple is doing rather well lately the pay could be higher.
    If an employee shows interest in growing within the company and looks to move into corporate using his education, listen and help them out so that can happen.

Great company, but thinking different discouraged

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsTo a large extent, Apple is amazing. I was within the tech support call center management, and both my employees and my coworkers were brilliant and amazing. The "bosses" tend to also be great people, with an occasional (albeit notable) exception. They do respect work/life balance, and there's a hefty program for development in terms of you career within the company. On the corporate side, there's also intangible benefits like "casual attire" (namely, don't come to work naked), monthly parties (with and without alcohol), an on-site gym, etc.

ConsThe biggest problem I found was that the dedication to secrecy that Apple is known for is disseminated down to the lowest positions. There were multiple times were we weren't given enough information to adequately prepare for our jobs, or prepare for product releases. I also found that if you wanted to give feedback to decision-makers, your feedback was generally treated like you were a cute child, with a head-pat as they sent you along your way. Sometimes it felt like Apple was torn between wanting to reinvent the wheel every time a new decision came up, and going with a super-corporate, super-strict method that works in other companies, but not with the type of person that Apple has historically hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy biggest piece of advice to management would be to not only solicit feedback from employees, but actually listen to it. Even if it costs a bit more money to implement the feedback, the benefit of happy employees will vastly increase their productivity, and decrease the turnover. In short, don't just pay lip service to employee feedback. Also, when making decisions that fundamentally alter peoples' lives, whether it be their day-to-day lives (such as their work schedule), or their lives as a whole (changing benefits, etc.), give people plenty of advanced warning. At least two months is needed for even fairly minor day-to-day life changes.

Great in the beginning

Creative (Apple Store) (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsDiscount. The Pay is great for retail. Vacation time. Ability to try out new product before anyone else. Free software.

ConsAt first it was amazing. Now its turned into the GAP. it is retail and i understand that but make it fun again. don't concentrate on numbers give employees development help them grow ... let us wear flip flops n have a lot of earrings. bring the old apple back.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget about MobileMe one 2 one and apple care.. each of these will sell if the customer needs. make sure every employee leads. send them to apple corporate no matter the cost it is worth it to build up and give them a sense of pride. offer a proper exchange into apple corporate. Give your employees incentive to move to corporate and hire more of them. Apples stopped growing because you are taking people from microsoft and other companies that know nothing of the ideologies that once made apple amazing..

Good For Tech Support I Guess

Home Advisor (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsI can't complain about the benifits or the pay. Also other people think it's cool. Working at home is nice. Customers are very nice compared to other call centers. Lots of perks.

ConsIt's still a phone tech support job and that is still awful even at Apple. In fact it might be worse because management does not have your back and is often reactionary to minor statistical fluctuations that don't persist over a day or so. Management often seems unfamiliar with the process of how we do our job and is a source of misinformation.

Advice to Senior ManagementHere is how statistics work: If you average a 14 minute hold time over several months, one day of having a 15 minute hold time on the first of the month does not mean that you suck now. At least wait a few days to see if the trend holds up. Also do research before giving bad solutions.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!