Apple Reviews

Reset
3.7
Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook

Pros
  • great benefits for part time employees (in 246 reviews)

• Competitive atmosphere; great peer work environment (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance (in 252 reviews)

• Something great requires long hours (in 151 reviews)

1. Not bad for contracting in a warehouse setting

Current Contractor - Lead in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Contractor - Lead in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Apple as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Standards are very easy to get along with; they care more about fixing problems than assigning blame. Huge plus in my book.

Cons

Be careful of having Apple asking you to do too much. I've see contractors do things way outside their contracted scopes. For a tech company, I'm surprised at the lack of technology to improve processes or to reach out to sister warehouses for process improvement. Lack of documentation at critical points was surprising. Extremely competitive job market internally. Some employees lack initiative. "We're too big to fail" mentality seems to have creeped in.

Advice to Management

Drop the importance of profits on any one specific warehouse, do things for the good of the company and your stated values. Stick to Jobs' philosophy towards designing amazing products and drop the variations that's killing opportunities to be efficient.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Working for Apple is every bit as cool as you would think it would be. I get to work from home, contribute to a dynamic global brand, and truly enjoy what I do.

Cons

I have to type at least 20 words here so I can complete this review, so I will simply say that there are no cons working for Apple.

Advice to Management

Management does an amazing job, and really delivers on all that Apple claims to stand for. Employees are treated like we really matter, and that goes a long way.

3. Problem Coordinator

Current Employee - Problem Coordinator in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Problem Coordinator in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment to work, coworkers are intelligent and helpful with daily tasks.

Cons

Repetitive, not much room for growth on the Elk Grove campus in the IT Helpdesk role.

Advice to Management

Keep working on an avenue to move people up through Helpdesk in other positions of the company or management.

meh

Former Employee - Advisor in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Advisor in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay and benefits and great cafeteria

Cons

the amount of oversiht i smothering

Advice to Management

loosen up a little

Rewarding

Current Employee - At-Home Advisor in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - At-Home Advisor in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Apple

Pros

-Good environment -Good pay -Good internal resources -Good hours -No commute (At-Home Advisor)

Cons

-Metrics are outrageously important -Customer feedback surveys are outrageously important

Advice to Management

Finding an appropriate balance with metrics is hard. I know Apple does a lot of changes and does their best. It's a work in progress, and I get that.

Fantastic place to work.

Former Employee - Applecare Advisor in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Applecare Advisor in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New ideas, suggestions, and feedback are not only welcomed, but often acted upon. Employee input is not shut down or frowned upon--no matter how long you've been there. Great people and culture that cares.

Cons

Lots of time management metrics to be conscious of. New products and training for new releases isn't provided until same day as public announcement. Can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture open minded and genuinely receptive to employee concerns, stay up to date when problems are reported and distribute resolutions/work arounds/isolation steps as early as possible. Implement design and functionality of MobileMe issue tracker system company wide to improve monitoring and sharing of information. Database should be able to pull results from all support teams. Often, issues added in one support team may not appear relevant or applicable to another team, but ends up being key link to solving complex issues. Recommend providing retail stores with their own issue tracker system in order to obtain reporting and observation from all possible sources.

8. No Upward Mobility

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Apple as a contractor

Pros

You are always working on something relevant whether it's tied to a new product launch or the online store, everything we work on is relevant and usually big.

Cons

They don't have a clear path for contractors to become permanent. One contractor got promoted while sleeping with her boss but no other PM's were made permanent in that time. Even if you're really good and receive high remarks and kudos they struggle to find ways of converting contractors. Most have been there 3-5 years which is beyond the norm for most companies.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to keep your workers permanently if they are good.

Too product focused and not enough people focus

Former Employee - ITunes Store Tier II Advisor in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - ITunes Store Tier II Advisor in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products with employee discounts, competitive pay, good benefits, ability to work from home, a great place to get experience.

Cons

The biggest con is the work/life balance. Expect to work during all holidays if you work in customer support. This is something that has become more and more frequent through the last few years. Also expect you take call/chat/email one after the other with little breather in between and have this last for months. Expect to be so burned out that you end up taking a medical leave because of it. You will also deal with absent management who take frequent vacations and have backfills fill in for them. You may also deal with not being paid properly and having to wrestle with HR to get it corrected.

Advice to Management

Focus on the people who serve the customers. They have lives and limitations. Your people should get to spend time with their families and loved ones on holidays. They're not machines that can go go go without much of a break. Management also needs to be there for their people and stop taking so much time off.

Technical support is a sales position.

Former Employee - Technical Support (Applecare) in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support (Applecare) in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked there for about two years doing technical support. For maybe the first year, it was pretty great. There was plenty of training, good benefits, pay was decent. Fixing customer problems was the main focus of the job, and I was doing very well at that. We also could sell items to customers, but that was just a useful way to order them a part or cable or disc they needed without having to shuffle them to a salesperson. Sales was not a focus. I wouldn't have taken the job otherwise, because I have no skill at all at sales, and it's something I absolutely loathe doing.

Cons

After about a year, things changed. Suddenly technical support agents were pressured to make sales. Another month later and we had sales quotas we were expected to meet, though we earned no commission. Another month or so later, and sales was the main focus the call-center. All department or team meetings were now about sales, all discussions with management were about how to sell more, and any performance awards given out were for making sales. At one point my supervisor made her team fill out a form after any technical support call where they didn't make a sale, where we had to explained why we had failed to do our job... because SALES was our job now, the technical assistance was just something we had to do between pushing products on the callers. Also, the entire Apple call-center had no windows. I always wondered if that was some kind of architecture-based pun.

Advice to Management

The callcenter went downhill so fast, and it was during a time when Apple was starting their run of record profits. There was no excuse for it. People don't want to be subjected to sales pitches non-stop when they just want help with the (very expensive) product they already bought. Hiring technicians and then telling them to SELL SELL SELL is a wonderful way to drive morale through the floor.

The burnout of your life

Former Employee - Apple Care Tier II in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Apple Care Tier II in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Apple

Pros

Great people work there, learn a lot.

Cons

Easily get burn out by doing phone support all day long. Very large turn over of people in the call center.

Showing 48 of 5,317 reviews