Apple Reviews

1. Endless opportunities and competitive benefits

Former Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are THE best I've had as far as price and coverage go which says something as my current employer is a medical insurance carrier and benefits are 3x as expensive. Once in the door there are endless opportunities whether retail or corporate.

Cons

Expect to be working a heavy amount of OT during product releases and the holidays. Some may not be a fan of this but you are compensated well for holidays and OT. The company will also provide lunch and such on days like these.

Too product focused and not enough people focus

Former Employee - ITunes Store Tier II Advisor in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - ITunes Store Tier II Advisor in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great products with employee discounts, competitive pay, good benefits, ability to work from home, a great place to get experience.

Cons

The biggest con is the work/life balance. Expect to work during all holidays if you work in customer support. This is something that has become more and more frequent through the last few years. Also expect you take call/chat/email one after the other with little breather in between and have this last for months. Expect to be so burned out that you end up taking a medical leave because of it. You will also deal with absent management who take frequent vacations and have backfills fill in for them. You may also deal with not being paid properly and having to wrestle with HR to get it corrected.

Focus on the people who serve the customers. They have lives and limitations. Your people should get to spend time with their families and loved ones on holidays. They're not machines that can go go go without much of a break. Management also needs to be there for their people and stop taking so much time off.

Technical support is a sales position.

Former Employee - Technical Support (Applecare) in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support (Applecare) in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked there for about two years doing technical support. For maybe the first year, it was pretty great. There was plenty of training, good benefits, pay was decent. Fixing customer problems was the main focus of the job, and I was doing very well at that. We also could sell items to customers, but that was just a useful way to order them a part or cable or disc they needed without having to shuffle them to a salesperson. Sales was not a focus. I wouldn't have taken the job otherwise, because I have no skill at all at sales, and it's something I absolutely loathe doing.

Cons

After about a year, things changed. Suddenly technical support agents were pressured to make sales. Another month later and we had sales quotas we were expected to meet, though we earned no commission. Another month or so later, and sales was the main focus the call-center. All department or team meetings were now about sales, all discussions with management were about how to sell more, and any performance awards given out were for making sales. At one point my supervisor made her team fill out a form after any technical support call where they didn't make a sale, where we had to explained why we had failed to do our job... because SALES was our job now, the technical assistance was just something we had to do between pushing products on the callers.

Also, the entire Apple call-center had no windows. I always wondered if that was some kind of architecture-based pun.

The callcenter went downhill so fast, and it was during a time when Apple was starting their run of record profits. There was no excuse for it. People don't want to be subjected to sales pitches non-stop when they just want help with the (very expensive) product they already bought. Hiring technicians and then telling them to SELL SELL SELL is a wonderful way to drive morale through the floor.

The burnout of your life

Former Employee - Apple Care Tier II in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Apple Care Tier II in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Apple

Pros

Great people work there, learn a lot.

Cons

Easily get burn out by doing phone support all day long. Very large turn over of people in the call center.

Corporate in Elk Grove, ca is a joke

Former Employee - Corporate Business Support in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Business Support in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Apple as a whole is an amazing place to work. Very open minded and just really cool

Cons

Corporate in Elk Grove is ran by abusive men. Hostile work environment, one red headed no educated procurement manager, physically and verbally attacked the female employees below him. Then padded their personal file to justify his actions.

Look into Elk Grove corporate management. They are not following the Apple way, and really could cause more lawsuits.

7. Apple At-Home-Advisor

Former Employee - IOS Senior Advisor in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - IOS Senior Advisor in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation, benefits, culture, company values, perks

Cons

isolation, not as many perks as on site, non-personal relationships with coworkers and management, difficult to move up after you have worked there for awhile

8. My 2 yrs at Apple has been a waste of time because they hire through temp agencies with no growth to become perminate.

Current Employee - IPAD Line Trainer in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - IPAD Line Trainer in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's perfect for a high school graduate interested in the tech industry.

Cons

They hire refuges from Iraq and Afghanistan that hardly speak English and that is 90% of the entire warehouse it's very hard for a Trainer and Line Lead and if they don't like you they talk about you in there own language. That's not right but Apple doesn't care it's all about the pass units and money for the company. So your constantly Auditing there work because if they don't understand English your responsible to make sure the procedures are done right. I'm in charge of 30 Iraq and Afghanistan employees.

If I could advise the management they should make sure that the people they hire can read and speak English. I feel the HR people skip this step to hiring people from Iraq and Afghanistan. There must be no interview for these people they just put them in the Apple Warehouse and leave this responsibility for the rest of us. It's not fair at all.

Senior Advisor at Apple

Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay discounts and benefits, great culture, great opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The main con is the work-life balance and the schedules everyone gets. Apple is heading in a direction I don't like when it comes to employee work-life balance. Also, your success at Apple depends heavily on if you have a good or bad manager in your corner.

Remember your people are just that, people, who have lives and limitations, and not machines who crunch numbers. Put the focus on them first, then the customer, and you will see great results.

10. apple warehouse

Current Employee - Volt in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Volt in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best reason is that you can repair the phone and learn how to fix the phone when something happen to it.

Cons

talk to other people while we are working.

Best Place To Work!

Former Employee - Tech Support II in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Tech Support II in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits and a fun place to work.
    A place where you can take your idea's and grow.
    Apple makes the best products and has the best customer service and support.
    You will never be bored with your job, since there is always something to learn.

Cons

When I worked there we were not able to access peoples computers so sometimes it made my job more difficult especially when I had a user who was not very savvy.
    They were working on this, but were worried about the liability.
    Most company's use this tool to fix your computer as standard operating procedures.
    Not able to choose how long you wanted to take for lunch. Other call centers will let you choose how long you want to take for lunch and let you adjust your time every week.

Please consider using the tool so Tech Support can have access to fix people's computers.
    It takes twice as long to help a customer when they are not very savvy.
     Have the flexibility to change my lunch schedule would have helped a lot.
    All in all Apple is the best company I have ever worked for. Thank you for making it such a great place to work.