Apple

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Apple CEO Tim Cook

Tim Cook

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Exhilarating. Great place to meet and work with associates that are bright and talented.

Specialist (Former Employee)
    Paramus, NJ

ProsWorking with professionals. The culture and teamwork was something to behold. Great products and service levels were off the chart.

ConsMore workshops for new employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Make your decisions based on input from the field people who know what the customers need and want.

Lead Creative

Lead Creative (Current Employee)
    Paramus, NJ

ProsI work with wonderful people

ConsThe customer base is becoming less and less accountable for their tech.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop from within.

Genius

Genius (Former Employee)
    Paramus, NJ

ProsYou meet amazing people here and the benefits are phenomenal

ConsFavorites play a big part here.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Accepting and open minded of numerous backgrounds.

Family Room Specialist (Former Employee)
    Paramus, NJ

ProsApple gave you the chance to have fun at work and work with truly wonderful people. You get a chance to meet a number of different people on a daily basis. If you are a people person then this is the place to work. The pay, the company makes so much money they have no choice to pay the employees well.

ConsIt's kind of like high school, there can be groups of people that are similar in taste, but that can happen anywhere. Unfortunately, there is a little bit of naivety and unrealistic looks in the real world. There is a phrase, "Drinking the Apple Juice." Where you get so imbedded that you believe the company can do no wrong and is the end all be all. It isn't, it's retail and definitely not real life.
    With this comes an attitude that the managers kind of look at the employees like they are children. They try and assign busy work instead of respecting people's individual talents, skills, and rolls. Many have developed a my way or the highway scenario, which doesn't get companies or employees on the right path. If you want to be respected as an individual and welcomed, you'll be ok. If you want to be seen as an individual with ideas being recognized on a daily basis, then you'll have to suck up and never speak your feelings if it's against the popular opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember, it is retail but your employees are not teenage kids. These are adults with long and full experience in the workplace.

Extremely rewarding!

Specialist (Current Employee)
    Paramus, NJ

ProsWork with a diverse team that truly becomes family!!!

ConsNext to impossible to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more oppertunities!

Excellent working environment.

Creative (Apple Store) (Former Employee)
    Paramus, NJ

ProsTeam centered working environment. Excellent opportunity for growth.

ConsRetail hours are no fun.

Fun place.

Paramus, NJ

ProsGreat pay, great people, pretty cool benifits, and pretty shirts.
    The amount of people you will meet from this experience will be beyond your imagination.

ConsEven though there are so many perks to working there, the requirements of the job are repetitive. Customers who are there are often impatient and unwilling to stick around for the full treatment. Leadership will impress upon you time after time that you must present everything with a slight undertone reminding you that it's not about the macs that you sell but about the attachments that you make.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy sole advice to management would be to be more selective during the hiring process and more cooperative as a management team. During my time there I've only seen the quality of employees decrease as their quantities increase. This is both a disgust premeniation for the quality of the company's future as well as a sign of weakness on the part of the managing team. If they are to continue as a high end retailer they need to continue to remain being just as selective with their employees as they are with their products.

Apple employees are the rock stars of retail

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Former Employee)
    Paramus, NJ

ProsThe soul of Apple, and it's strong point, is the people. Everyone you work with is proud and excited to be there. Everyone believes in the product(s) and are extremely knowledgeable about everything Apple. This was the first place I worked where everyone got along, where I made close friends with, and felt proud to be a part of.

Working at the Apple Store isn't because you want to make money; it's because you want to spread the word about the product because its changed your life and you want to help others do the same. I love it when a first time Mac user comes in and realizes that there is something other than the mainstream PC that will not only work for them, but that they'll have fun with. I can't count the times when a customer makes the switch from PC to Mac (or even Zune to iPod) and they come back just to say "hi" or to tell us how great it's working for them. Apple employees are not regular retail workers. We are the rock stars of the retail world. When a customer comes in and asks where something is, we don't just point a finger in the opposite direction. We personally help out customers according to their needs and find them the best solution.

It's a common thing to be on a first name basis with regular customers. I love welcoming people back to the store. They're surprised you remembered them from the one time you helped them out, and that you even remember their name and situation. Working with people at the Apple Store is on a personal level, and that is what makes our customer service excellent.

ConsThe only time I felt there was a downside to working at Apple was when it came for a promotion. Granted, working at Apple means growth and moving up. However, I felt that there were several times that there was favoritism going on, as far as promotions. There have been a couple of instances were those being promoted were very close with management, and many felt that the promotion was more deserved to another employee who worked longer or harder.
    Another similar situation that has happened before would be when an employee is promised a certain promotion or is "next in line" for an opening position, and then it is given to someone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel that the management team is one of the best teams I've worked with. Most of the staff at the store became friends. However, there were times when life outside of work interfered with professionalism, such as favoritism with promotions.

Apple-the most fun you'll have at work!

Concierge (Current Employee)
    Paramus, NJ

ProsIt's terrific to work for a place that has become such an iconic and reputable company, not to mention the fastest growing retailer in history. The products are second to none, and Apple has really figured out the best way to attract new customers, and maintain customer loyalty with old ones. The structure and hierarchy in the stores are unique to any retailer, making us the current envy of just about everyone. Everyday there is some extremely fun component or thing that happens that makes showing up to work an effortless task. I would recommend a job at Apple to just about any qualified individual. It's a great feeling to work for a company that truly does change the fabric of peoples' lives, everyday.

ConsThe atmosphere at Apple is never dull, and on days when most stores in the mall are dead, Apple is overflowing with people. This is great, but is often hard to keep up with, making for a challenging working atmosphere. The training process, though long, is at times not thorough enough, putting people on the floor to sell and answer questions who don't have a solid enough working knowledge of the product. Another huge downside is Apple's "closed-lip" policy about its product development. People expect us to know the latest scoop about what's coming out next or how something is changing, and it's frustrating that Apple works so hard to ensure that we're in fact the last ones to know. In those terms, the lines of communication are unsettling. Another disturbing thing to me is the fact that Mac Specialists are forced to compete in the "numbers" game with regards to the "attachments" that they sell with the computers. This is how the company determines an employee's worth.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management at all levels to take a closer look at the people they hire and promote within the company. The opportunities for growth within the company are vast, but are often made available to people who are not perfectly suited to the posts. I would also urge the higher-ups in the retail division of the company to listen more intently to what is going on at the store level, and act quicker when attention is needed in a particular area or for a particular thing. For example, it's taking the company 2-3 years to approve and act on the remodeling of our store, which was constructed to the old model of how retail stores were designed. Our store is also without a working AC unit, and it has taken the company 2+ years of being tenants in that space to propose what to do. I suppose that's just corporate retail.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple reviews and ratings in Paramus, NJ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Apple CEO Tim Cook. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Apple employees.