Apple

4,003 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,212 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, Rewarding, but ZERO work/life balance. Most satisfying , most difficult and most rewarding job ever.

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We work with geniuses - in every department, We create innovative products that thrill our customers and create new product categories - who else can say that?

Cons

ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance. Execs have been saying for YEARS that they understand and will make it better. But in actuality, it gets worse every year! It is obviously top management LIP SERVICE because if they meant it, they could fix it tomorrow. They have hundreds of BILLIONS in the bank. If they REALLY cared about employee work/life balance, they could bring aboard the right number of folks to make that issue dissolve. Sick of hearing the lies. Just don't lie about wanting to fix it, when they clearly DON'T care

Company genuinely cares about you!

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT

I worked at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - great work environment
    - great salary (especially for retail)
    - lots of peer support
    - lots of management support
    - lots of learning experiences and resources
    - opportunity for advancement
    - opportunities for "career experiences" in corporate roles, for retail staff (underutilized, apparently. go for it!)
    - you become really good friends with your peer group, or maybe even family!
    - Amazing sense of belonging and community
    - great stepping stone to new career, if that is your choice

Cons

- Too much "drinking the kool aid". WAY too much. I hope this is an apt metaphor: Imagine you have an 8oz cup in your hand. They pour a 64oz pitcher of Kool-Aid into your 8oz. cup. Then they pour a pitcher of sugar into the same cup. You get diabetes. The amount of company propaganda is absolutely astounding and excessive to point of being absolutely ridiculous, wherein you feel like a caricature of yourself wearing this blue shirt. This is coming from me, a lifelong Apple fan since 1987 (the year I started using computers).
    - FAR too much bashing of anything that isn't Apple. Apple has now decided as a company, to compare itself to Samsung and Google, etc etc. It used to decide not to compare itself to anybody. This shows everywhere from development to retail attitudes.
    - Willing isolation from and ignorance of the rest of the world of technology. Apple exists in a bubble, and those within the bubble are blissfully unaware that any other technology is relevant and useful. I heard one employee say that Microsoft Office is going the way of the dinosaurs. Nobody called him out on this. What dream world is he living in???? Isn't it better to learn Apple's technology in a way that helps it workably coexist with other technology? This is equally as important as learning the Apple ecosystem, which, yes, in itself is amazing.
    - Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis.
    - No ongoing training program to keep your technical skills sharp and up to date. Instead, they offer "Pathways", which is meant to improve your social skills. Great! But isn't that why they hired us to begin with? You have to search Apple's technical reporting system for relevant known issues, which is fine but if you don't (and a lot of techs don't) you usually find out what those are when a customer has a problem and you don't know the answer. One person who happened to look at iDesk might know the answer, but if they're not available, you may end up giving the customer the wrong solution. The signal to noise ratio of important, specific information is a total mess.
    - "I can't believe they re-arranged the lockers. I'm thinking about quitting now." Everyone joins in agreement. Really, guys? C'mon. Again, as I mentioned in my point about the Apple "bubble", the perception of reality can be largely distorted. Management has to work REALLY REALLY hard to bend over backwards for every little thing. So how much energy do they have left over to make sure their techs are up to date, or that sales staff knows their specs and has good ways of explaining tech to non-tech people? Apple is very big on managing expectations for customers (great, actually!) but could do a lot better to manage expectations for employees. Maybe this would improve management's time and ability to fix some more important issues.
    - Far too many points of contact for customers. A customer may end up talking to between 4 and 8 different people who may end up telling them lots of conflicting things. Either communication needs to improve in the store or the number of contact points needs to decrease somehow.

My feedback section was long, I realize, but it's because I genuinely care about Apple as a company and would love to see things improve in real, tangible ways where the signal to noise ratio is considered for retail as much as it is considered for its products and services!

Consider and analyze the cons I wrote above and communicate them with your market leaders! How successful IS Pathways, really, for example? Everything has to be given a chance to work, of course, but I think maybe corporate doesn't get enough constructive feedback from its retail stores for fear of being perceived as not having put enough effort into making these things work.

Regardless, I loved working for Apple and would absolutely return given the need and/or opportunity.

Great people and products.

Current Employee - At-Home Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - At-Home Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have amazing benefits and are very understanding if things come up. They hold their products high and expect the customers to get top quality help. There is a lot of metrics to adhere to, but the customer is always the top priority.

Cons

Promotions don't really make sense. They aren't necessarily looking for the best talent to promote first, but they do have opportunities for advancement.

Please look at those with more experience and good metrics and help them to get promoted especially if their peers are getting moved up with less experience and metrics.

An amazing experience

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I got to work with some of the smartest people in the world on really tough problems, and got to really contribute; my work shipped in an identifiable way - which in such a large company was an amazing thing. The energy of working at Apple was addictive, not to mention the fact that everyone (family, friends) were in awe of you working there.

I briefly worked at Google after leaving Apple, and my god, it was a stark difference. At Apple everyone focused on product; everyone knew that what they did made a difference and poured their hearts and souls into every day there. At google... not so much. Projects were cancelled regularly and people just didn't care; whether your product shipped or not, Google still got paid from advertising, so hey - why bother sweating it?

Cons

There was a LOT of work, but I was absolutely happy to do it. Brainwashing? Not really, more just making the most of the opportunity in front of me. Opportunities like this don't come around every day.

When I started, it was very management light. We got to move incredibly fast and make decisions mostly ourselves. By the time I left there were layers upon layers of program managers and the hiring bar was noticeably lower. That tends to spoil things for everyone.

New projects at apple feel like startups with unlimited resources and no investors to pander to... ie, spectacular... but after a few years of success, the structure calcifies and though it's still a good job, it's not the same rush.

Compensation (RSUs etc) was great at the start, but kept going down every year whilst the company made more and more money; this just felt wrong when you were working 70+ hours a week.

You really need a super-clueful CTO who isn't involved in the politics - someone who can cut through the crap and ensure your VPs aren't outmaneuvering you. You effectively had one, but sadly he is no longer with us.

Great company great benefits

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Stamford, CT

I worked at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for Apple is amazing. You can move up quickly and the pay is great. Lots of opportunities for different backgrounds and fun environment. The company really cares about the employees and benefits are great.

Cons

Must be available to work at least two weekend days and cannot pick your own hours.

Amazing work, terrible work life balance

Former Employee - Manufacturing Intern in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Intern in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern I had the opportunity to work on projects I did not think I would be permitted to anywhere else. The trust that was placed in me as an intern to execute on a critical project definitely allowed me to grow immensely through the experience

Cons

Terribly demanding work. I was working 60 - 80 hours a week and between late night work calls, and unreasonable deadlines I found myself quite exhausted by the end of the experience. It varies from team to team but while other interns were enjoying the California weather an experiencing the area I was consistently working 10 - 12 hours a day.

Everyone that works there is very smart and efficient. Just hire more people. Teams are TOO lean and that is the main reason why most people leave after a couple of years.

Great place

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Edison, NJ

I worked at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place. Great people. Great store.

Cons

None here, other than the lack of benefits for being "part-time" but working 40+ hours per week.

Wish they would create more full time opportunities and not take advantage of part time employees.

Great company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is my dream job, couldn't even imagine anything better.

Cons

There are no cons and I don't think there will be any

The Hungry Hungry Hippo

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Apple full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great offices. Beautiful industrial design. Brushed aluminum everywhere. Literally aluminum couches. Time to do your own thing a lot. Everyone is interesting and talented. Don't care about your gpa or school all about how well you interview.

Cons

The couches get cold since they are made out of aluminum. The reviews are not frequent enough and therefore when you get feedback it can be a surprise. Everything comes from the top down not a lot of ideas being suggested you make your way up and then you earn the right to tel others what to do.

Good work environment, decent pay for retail

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Apple part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun and upbeat working environment
    Good opportunity for advancement
    Resources for self-learning and personal growth
    Good company culture
    25% discount on most Apple brand items

Cons

Promotions can be based on favoritism
    Managers and employees continue to work there after their passion is gone
    Strict attendance policy with no exceptions allowed (seen lots of good employees fired)
    Steve Jobs no longer CEO

If one of your top salespeople has poor attendance due to circumstances outside their control, see if any exceptions or changes can be made to keep good employees.