Apple

4,244 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,359 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, Rewarding, but ZERO work/life balance. Most satisfying , most difficult and most rewarding job ever.

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We work with geniuses - in every department, We create innovative products that thrill our customers and create new product categories - who else can say that?

Cons

ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance. Execs have been saying for YEARS that they understand and will make it better. But in actuality, it gets worse every year! It is obviously top management LIP SERVICE because if they meant it, they could fix it tomorrow. They have hundreds of BILLIONS in the bank. If they REALLY cared about employee work/life balance, they could bring aboard the right number of folks to make that issue dissolve. Sick of hearing the lies. Just don't lie about wanting to fix it, when they clearly DON'T care

Company genuinely cares about you!

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT

I worked at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - great work environment
    - great salary (especially for retail)
    - lots of peer support
    - lots of management support
    - lots of learning experiences and resources
    - opportunity for advancement
    - opportunities for "career experiences" in corporate roles, for retail staff (underutilized, apparently. go for it!)
    - you become really good friends with your peer group, or maybe even family!
    - Amazing sense of belonging and community
    - great stepping stone to new career, if that is your choice

Cons

- Too much "drinking the kool aid". WAY too much. I hope this is an apt metaphor: Imagine you have an 8oz cup in your hand. They pour a 64oz pitcher of Kool-Aid into your 8oz. cup. Then they pour a pitcher of sugar into the same cup. You get diabetes. The amount of company propaganda is absolutely astounding and excessive to point of being absolutely ridiculous, wherein you feel like a caricature of yourself wearing this blue shirt. This is coming from me, a lifelong Apple fan since 1987 (the year I started using computers).
    - FAR too much bashing of anything that isn't Apple. Apple has now decided as a company, to compare itself to Samsung and Google, etc etc. It used to decide not to compare itself to anybody. This shows everywhere from development to retail attitudes.
    - Willing isolation from and ignorance of the rest of the world of technology. Apple exists in a bubble, and those within the bubble are blissfully unaware that any other technology is relevant and useful. I heard one employee say that Microsoft Office is going the way of the dinosaurs. Nobody called him out on this. What dream world is he living in???? Isn't it better to learn Apple's technology in a way that helps it workably coexist with other technology? This is equally as important as learning the Apple ecosystem, which, yes, in itself is amazing.
    - Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis.
    - No ongoing training program to keep your technical skills sharp and up to date. Instead, they offer "Pathways", which is meant to improve your social skills. Great! But isn't that why they hired us to begin with? You have to search Apple's technical reporting system for relevant known issues, which is fine but if you don't (and a lot of techs don't) you usually find out what those are when a customer has a problem and you don't know the answer. One person who happened to look at iDesk might know the answer, but if they're not available, you may end up giving the customer the wrong solution. The signal to noise ratio of important, specific information is a total mess.
    - "I can't believe they re-arranged the lockers. I'm thinking about quitting now." Everyone joins in agreement. Really, guys? C'mon. Again, as I mentioned in my point about the Apple "bubble", the perception of reality can be largely distorted. Management has to work REALLY REALLY hard to bend over backwards for every little thing. So how much energy do they have left over to make sure their techs are up to date, or that sales staff knows their specs and has good ways of explaining tech to non-tech people? Apple is very big on managing expectations for customers (great, actually!) but could do a lot better to manage expectations for employees. Maybe this would improve management's time and ability to fix some more important issues.
    - Far too many points of contact for customers. A customer may end up talking to between 4 and 8 different people who may end up telling them lots of conflicting things. Either communication needs to improve in the store or the number of contact points needs to decrease somehow.

My feedback section was long, I realize, but it's because I genuinely care about Apple as a company and would love to see things improve in real, tangible ways where the signal to noise ratio is considered for retail as much as it is considered for its products and services!

Consider and analyze the cons I wrote above and communicate them with your market leaders! How successful IS Pathways, really, for example? Everything has to be given a chance to work, of course, but I think maybe corporate doesn't get enough constructive feedback from its retail stores for fear of being perceived as not having put enough effort into making these things work.

Regardless, I loved working for Apple and would absolutely return given the need and/or opportunity.

One of the best Silicon Valleys at present

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time

Pros

Apple currently offers competitive salaries and benefits, interesting projects, smart colleagues and a comfortable workplace.

Of note is Apple's contribution to the 401(k) plan. For the first two years, the maximum matching contribution is 3%, but increases to 4.5% after two years of tenure and to 6% after fives years of tenure. Other employers such as Oracle and (before the Oracle acquisition) Sun offered only a 3% maximum matching contribution. And the Apple matching contribution vests immediately, unlike for example HP where the matching contribution vests only after three long years; incredibly, HP will confiscate its matching contribution if you leave HP for any reason prior to three years. Apple won't.

Also, Apple's medical insurance is top-notch, easily besting for example the medical insurance of HP. With HP's lowest-deductible health plan, a $3,000 MRI will cost you $750 out of pocket ($500 deductible plus 10% of $3,000 less the $500 deductible) whereas with Apple the MRI will cost you nothing out of pocket. Apple's medical insurance is among the best that I've seen in Silicon Valley, and rivals that of Oracle and Sun.

Cons

My only complaint is that Apple is hiring so rapidly into my department that we all have to share an office with another employee. Perhaps when we move to the new "spaceship" campus I'll get a private office.

Keep doing what you're doing.

They really have a balanced approach to taking care of employees

Former Employee - Apple At Home Advisor
    Former Employee - Apple At Home Advisor

I worked at Apple part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training was awesome, the team members really work together. The training is ongoing and the job can really be satisfying. The convenience and the benefits are great as well

Cons

Business requires a flex schedule. The schedule may change at any time and the hours can vary as well as the days.

Excellence is your daily bottom-line

Current Employee - Apple Retail - Expert in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Apple Retail - Expert in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A remarkable group of people, of all walks of life, all age groups, ethnicities, education and experience work together very hard, every day. The real challenge is to stay true to yourself -- the very reason why you were hired -- while polishing your knowledge and developing a broader emotional intelligence. The structure built in to insure you do great is there. You need to ask if you need help, stay put, never give up, strive to better yourself, because the company will be there to support you. Choose your mentors, become a mentor to others. Make sure you stay generous of your talent, give something back in return for what you receive, every day.

Cons

Ever-changing schedules can be hard to combine with a very full family life, or a full-time student load. There is a great career development path, but it must be fulfilling a business need relevant to the retail location where you work. Fast-track-style careerists may get frustrated.

Regularly-scheduled time off the sales floor to access those learning experiences, complete a certification etc.

This is the place to be if you care about user experience.

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best colleagues in the business. This is a great opportunity to work with some really fantastic, dedicated people, who genuinely want to use technology to make the world a better place.

Cons

Sometimes there can be bureaucracy and management sometimes does not listen to the opinions of the rank and file. When crunch time hits, it can be all-consuming.

Great company

Current Employee - Genius in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Genius in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, great opportunities

Cons

Highly political for upward movement

very adventurous and rewarding

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Apple

Pros

its nice and warm and friendly

Cons

very demanding and difficult work life balance

come to work prepared

Bring your best

Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Apple is the type of place where you can do the best work of your life. They have all the resources and incredibly high expectations.

They also pay their employees well, provide tons of training opportunities, and have great products to work on. In other companies, I sometimes had to compromise an idea to bring it in under budget. That very rarely happens to truly great ideas at Apple.

Additionally, I found that my personal values were very in line with the overall compass of the company.

Cons

It's exceptionally intense. So respect for personal time can exist as long as you work for the right person. If you don't, that can be a bad thing.

Also as I understand it now, the group I was in has grown so big it's lost some of its magic. They've had a hard time maintaining the consistency of greatness that was a little easier when the team was smaller.

Focus on quality. Make sure you're bringing in great folks and stay true to what has made Apple so incredible.

My Org is Great, But I Can Only Vouch for Mine

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Each R&D org has its own culture. I love mine, but I've heard stories from other groups that sound unpleasant to work for.

It's such a huge company that there are always positions in other groups if you are interesting in changing jobs.

Cons

The secrecy gets in the way of open collaboration.

I've been pretty impressed with the upper mgmt. I'm not in any position to offer advice there.