Apple

4,110 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,277 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, Rewarding, but ZERO work/life balance. Most satisfying , most difficult and most rewarding job ever.

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We work with geniuses - in every department, We create innovative products that thrill our customers and create new product categories - who else can say that?

Cons

ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance. Execs have been saying for YEARS that they understand and will make it better. But in actuality, it gets worse every year! It is obviously top management LIP SERVICE because if they meant it, they could fix it tomorrow. They have hundreds of BILLIONS in the bank. If they REALLY cared about employee work/life balance, they could bring aboard the right number of folks to make that issue dissolve. Sick of hearing the lies. Just don't lie about wanting to fix it, when they clearly DON'T care

Company genuinely cares about you!

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT

I worked at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - great work environment
    - great salary (especially for retail)
    - lots of peer support
    - lots of management support
    - lots of learning experiences and resources
    - opportunity for advancement
    - opportunities for "career experiences" in corporate roles, for retail staff (underutilized, apparently. go for it!)
    - you become really good friends with your peer group, or maybe even family!
    - Amazing sense of belonging and community
    - great stepping stone to new career, if that is your choice

Cons

- Too much "drinking the kool aid". WAY too much. I hope this is an apt metaphor: Imagine you have an 8oz cup in your hand. They pour a 64oz pitcher of Kool-Aid into your 8oz. cup. Then they pour a pitcher of sugar into the same cup. You get diabetes. The amount of company propaganda is absolutely astounding and excessive to point of being absolutely ridiculous, wherein you feel like a caricature of yourself wearing this blue shirt. This is coming from me, a lifelong Apple fan since 1987 (the year I started using computers).
    - FAR too much bashing of anything that isn't Apple. Apple has now decided as a company, to compare itself to Samsung and Google, etc etc. It used to decide not to compare itself to anybody. This shows everywhere from development to retail attitudes.
    - Willing isolation from and ignorance of the rest of the world of technology. Apple exists in a bubble, and those within the bubble are blissfully unaware that any other technology is relevant and useful. I heard one employee say that Microsoft Office is going the way of the dinosaurs. Nobody called him out on this. What dream world is he living in???? Isn't it better to learn Apple's technology in a way that helps it workably coexist with other technology? This is equally as important as learning the Apple ecosystem, which, yes, in itself is amazing.
    - Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis.
    - No ongoing training program to keep your technical skills sharp and up to date. Instead, they offer "Pathways", which is meant to improve your social skills. Great! But isn't that why they hired us to begin with? You have to search Apple's technical reporting system for relevant known issues, which is fine but if you don't (and a lot of techs don't) you usually find out what those are when a customer has a problem and you don't know the answer. One person who happened to look at iDesk might know the answer, but if they're not available, you may end up giving the customer the wrong solution. The signal to noise ratio of important, specific information is a total mess.
    - "I can't believe they re-arranged the lockers. I'm thinking about quitting now." Everyone joins in agreement. Really, guys? C'mon. Again, as I mentioned in my point about the Apple "bubble", the perception of reality can be largely distorted. Management has to work REALLY REALLY hard to bend over backwards for every little thing. So how much energy do they have left over to make sure their techs are up to date, or that sales staff knows their specs and has good ways of explaining tech to non-tech people? Apple is very big on managing expectations for customers (great, actually!) but could do a lot better to manage expectations for employees. Maybe this would improve management's time and ability to fix some more important issues.
    - Far too many points of contact for customers. A customer may end up talking to between 4 and 8 different people who may end up telling them lots of conflicting things. Either communication needs to improve in the store or the number of contact points needs to decrease somehow.

My feedback section was long, I realize, but it's because I genuinely care about Apple as a company and would love to see things improve in real, tangible ways where the signal to noise ratio is considered for retail as much as it is considered for its products and services!

Consider and analyze the cons I wrote above and communicate them with your market leaders! How successful IS Pathways, really, for example? Everything has to be given a chance to work, of course, but I think maybe corporate doesn't get enough constructive feedback from its retail stores for fear of being perceived as not having put enough effort into making these things work.

Regardless, I loved working for Apple and would absolutely return given the need and/or opportunity.

A great place to work, but you have to be strong

Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic technical challenges, brilliant people, complex and important problems to be solved. The benefits are great, of course, and the prestige both during the time you work there and even afterwards on your resume are significant benefits. If you like serious intellectual challenges, and the opportunity to do something that makes a difference in the world, this is the place for you. I think the compensation was very fair compared to other companies, and those people who really are rock stars really get very well compensated.

Cons

The culture (in engineering) is a tough one, hard on people who aren't at the top of their game. I think that Apple actually is a pretty high integrity place in general, but in my experience there certainly used to be a very strong political nature. This is always true in any organization with a lot of people, of course, but at Apple there was a certain sloppiness about allowing bad managers without a strategic plan to continue to survive and do damage far too long just because they were good at making their bosses feel good. Maybe this was just the case in the group where I worked. Maybe this has changed since Tim Cook has taken over.

Find more ways to actually measure the quality of the managers. Do more evaluation of the value and worth of the managers as seen by the people reporting to them. This is for two reasons 1) It helps upper levels recognize managers who are hated by their people 2) It helps upper levels recognize managers who are adored by their people. There have been cases where managers were fired even though their people thought they were great, and the groups then fall apart completely. There have been cases where the managers were completely hideous but were great at managing up, so their people were tortured for ages. Of course, the bottom line is that productivity suffered badly in both cases.

An amazing experience

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I got to work with some of the smartest people in the world on really tough problems, and got to really contribute; my work shipped in an identifiable way - which in such a large company was an amazing thing. The energy of working at Apple was addictive, not to mention the fact that everyone (family, friends) were in awe of you working there.

I briefly worked at Google after leaving Apple, and my god, it was a stark difference. At Apple everyone focused on product; everyone knew that what they did made a difference and poured their hearts and souls into every day there. At google... not so much. Projects were cancelled regularly and people just didn't care; whether your product shipped or not, Google still got paid from advertising, so hey - why bother sweating it?

Cons

There was a LOT of work, but I was absolutely happy to do it. Brainwashing? Not really, more just making the most of the opportunity in front of me. Opportunities like this don't come around every day.

When I started, it was very management light. We got to move incredibly fast and make decisions mostly ourselves. By the time I left there were layers upon layers of program managers and the hiring bar was noticeably lower. That tends to spoil things for everyone.

New projects at apple feel like startups with unlimited resources and no investors to pander to... ie, spectacular... but after a few years of success, the structure calcifies and though it's still a good job, it's not the same rush.

Compensation (RSUs etc) was great at the start, but kept going down every year whilst the company made more and more money; this just felt wrong when you were working 70+ hours a week.

You really need a super-clueful CTO who isn't involved in the politics - someone who can cut through the crap and ensure your VPs aren't outmaneuvering you. You effectively had one, but sadly he is no longer with us.

At home advisor

Former Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Quantico, VA
    Former Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Quantico, VA

I worked at Apple

Pros

The coworkers were the best. Training was engaging and positive energy consistently flowed throughout. Awesome medical benefits and great employee discounts.

Cons

Mandatory overtime hours, tons of training modules to cover. Must be a fan and owner of Apple products to understand the complexity of troubleshooting these products.

Managment selescted the right people to conduct their training. My particular trainer was outgoing, engaging and was extremely passionate about Apple. You don't see this often in employees. Good job in picking that one!

Reason I left

Former Employee - Technician At Genius Bar in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Technician At Genius Bar in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits for full time and part time enployees are the best I have ever seen.
    Hourly pay is above average for retail companies.
    Time goes by fast

Cons

Stressful, many hours needed to be available in your schedule.
    Very hard to get a day off for students during the holiday season.

Hire more employees so they can cover each other shifts. (Part time)

Excellent place to work but be prepared to work. No resting on your laurels.

Current Employee - Lead Mac Genius in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Mac Genius in New York, NY

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Always changing, lots of training and perks. Discounts on various products and services. Wonderful diversity.

Cons

Hard to be a single parent and work retail. New hires are paid grossly lower then job expectations. No movement unless your a manager.

great experience, great focus on customer experience

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits, stock purchase plan, effective leadership and culture of feedback. expansive roles in an ever changing environment and your job description is never the same.

Cons

very demanding and busy culture, sometimes lack of clarity and secrecy is frustrating, but ultimately you understand the reason why.

continue doing a great job

Quality people, challenging work, ever changing.

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Great benefits, amazing people. Leadership genuinely cares about people.

Cons

Retail hours are retail hours... Sometimes hard to balance with family.

Perky

Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Apple

Pros

I worked there as a specialist in the retail store. It was a fun, and exciting time. I really enjoyed the organization of the company.

Cons

There were definitely challenges dealing with so many people at one time. Some of the managers were easy to lose their temper because of the fluster.

I guess my advice would be to listen when employees are giving feedback.