Apple Reviews

3,912 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,147 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 241 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 205 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours (in 245 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors (in 149 reviews)

More Highlights

We are consultant and we just happen to sell electronics.

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Its a great environment to work in. Your coworker are great and the will help you get acclimated with ease. Management is understanding and they act more as friend with constructive feed back than managers. The company is really about personal development and help you becoming a better person because that's what will generate the highest ROI. Your people skills and communication skills will see a dramatic increase because you have to interact with so many different people from different backgrounds. How do you teach a 78 year only women how to make beats on Logic Pro? Its interesting and you'll have fun at work.

Cons

As with any retail, there will be peak seasons and slow season. when the slow season come around, you will see a drop in you hours if you are not full time.

Keep it up. Your goal should always be to develop leaders and not employees.

Challenging, Rewarding, but ZERO work/life balance. Most satisfying , most difficult and most rewarding job ever.

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We work with geniuses - in every department, We create innovative products that thrill our customers and create new product categories - who else can say that?

Cons

ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance. Execs have been saying for YEARS that they understand and will make it better. But in actuality, it gets worse every year! It is obviously top management LIP SERVICE because if they meant it, they could fix it tomorrow. They have hundreds of BILLIONS in the bank. If they REALLY cared about employee work/life balance, they could bring aboard the right number of folks to make that issue dissolve. Sick of hearing the lies. Just don't lie about wanting to fix it, when they clearly DON'T care

Company genuinely cares about you!

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT

I worked at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - great work environment
    - great salary (especially for retail)
    - lots of peer support
    - lots of management support
    - lots of learning experiences and resources
    - opportunity for advancement
    - opportunities for "career experiences" in corporate roles, for retail staff (underutilized, apparently. go for it!)
    - you become really good friends with your peer group, or maybe even family!
    - Amazing sense of belonging and community
    - great stepping stone to new career, if that is your choice

Cons

- Too much "drinking the kool aid". WAY too much. I hope this is an apt metaphor: Imagine you have an 8oz cup in your hand. They pour a 64oz pitcher of Kool-Aid into your 8oz. cup. Then they pour a pitcher of sugar into the same cup. You get diabetes. The amount of company propaganda is absolutely astounding and excessive to point of being absolutely ridiculous, wherein you feel like a caricature of yourself wearing this blue shirt. This is coming from me, a lifelong Apple fan since 1987 (the year I started using computers).
    - FAR too much bashing of anything that isn't Apple. Apple has now decided as a company, to compare itself to Samsung and Google, etc etc. It used to decide not to compare itself to anybody. This shows everywhere from development to retail attitudes.
    - Willing isolation from and ignorance of the rest of the world of technology. Apple exists in a bubble, and those within the bubble are blissfully unaware that any other technology is relevant and useful. I heard one employee say that Microsoft Office is going the way of the dinosaurs. Nobody called him out on this. What dream world is he living in???? Isn't it better to learn Apple's technology in a way that helps it workably coexist with other technology? This is equally as important as learning the Apple ecosystem, which, yes, in itself is amazing.
    - Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis.
    - No ongoing training program to keep your technical skills sharp and up to date. Instead, they offer "Pathways", which is meant to improve your social skills. Great! But isn't that why they hired us to begin with? You have to search Apple's technical reporting system for relevant known issues, which is fine but if you don't (and a lot of techs don't) you usually find out what those are when a customer has a problem and you don't know the answer. One person who happened to look at iDesk might know the answer, but if they're not available, you may end up giving the customer the wrong solution. The signal to noise ratio of important, specific information is a total mess.
    - "I can't believe they re-arranged the lockers. I'm thinking about quitting now." Everyone joins in agreement. Really, guys? C'mon. Again, as I mentioned in my point about the Apple "bubble", the perception of reality can be largely distorted. Management has to work REALLY REALLY hard to bend over backwards for every little thing. So how much energy do they have left over to make sure their techs are up to date, or that sales staff knows their specs and has good ways of explaining tech to non-tech people? Apple is very big on managing expectations for customers (great, actually!) but could do a lot better to manage expectations for employees. Maybe this would improve management's time and ability to fix some more important issues.
    - Far too many points of contact for customers. A customer may end up talking to between 4 and 8 different people who may end up telling them lots of conflicting things. Either communication needs to improve in the store or the number of contact points needs to decrease somehow.

My feedback section was long, I realize, but it's because I genuinely care about Apple as a company and would love to see things improve in real, tangible ways where the signal to noise ratio is considered for retail as much as it is considered for its products and services!

Consider and analyze the cons I wrote above and communicate them with your market leaders! How successful IS Pathways, really, for example? Everything has to be given a chance to work, of course, but I think maybe corporate doesn't get enough constructive feedback from its retail stores for fear of being perceived as not having put enough effort into making these things work.

Regardless, I loved working for Apple and would absolutely return given the need and/or opportunity.

Great experience but no upward mobility

Current Employee - Specialist in Anchor Point, AK
    Current Employee - Specialist in Anchor Point, AK

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture,values, benefits, focus on employees,

Cons

fight for hours, no uppward mobility

Amazing company to work for!

Current Employee - ITunes Account and Billing in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - ITunes Account and Billing in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly environment, employee discount, awards you receive, pay is great too. The work from home opportunity is great! They provided us with the Mac to use for work. I loved being able to work from home while doing a job I loved. I only left due to my husband's job relocating and the hours wouldn't work with our new schedule with the kids.

Cons

Rotation of hours based on stats. That is the only con I have for Apple. I loved working for them. I have many friends who still work there and were promoted within a year!

Fun company to work with

I worked at Apple full-time

Pros

Great co-workers for the most part. Great company to have on your resumé. Great place to learn a lot as well

Cons

promotions are a high school popularity contest. Some Customers can be extremely unruly (threatening to throw various iDevices at your face for not replacing them). Stress will become your best friend and you have no say in the matter

Awesome team, great experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Worked at a machine learning team in the iTunes division. People are generally really nice and there's a ton of things to learn.

Cons

Some people care about pedigrees even after you get in. Some people believe that "machine learning" is only for PhDs.

Thanks.

lots of work, but great compensation and experience. very intelligent people to work with.

Current Employee - Product Quality in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Product Quality in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

great compensation, and travel benefits. lots of area to learn from highly intelligent people

Cons

work life balance is not existant. work work work

Apple at Home

I worked at Apple part-time

Pros

Work from home, decent pay.

Cons

Shift variations, I didn't like having different shifts month to month.

Ability to switch shifts or pick shifts.

Opportunities abound. There is plenty of room to grow here.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Despite some public opinion, Apple is an extremely ethical company. Lots of smart peers to learn from. Opportunity for growth when you demonstrate potential.

Cons

Not really a con, but expected: compensation generally lags behind performance. Work can be very ambiguous at times. Many peers are spread very thin. Apple has a "show me" culture which generally requires you to work periods of double-time to prove your own ideas.