Apple Reviews

4,673 Reviews
Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,582 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

Challenging, Rewarding, but ZERO work/life balance. Most satisfying , most difficult and most rewarding job ever.

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We work with geniuses - in every department, We create innovative products that thrill our customers and create new product categories - who else can say that?

Cons

ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance. Execs have been saying for YEARS that they understand and will make it better. But in actuality, it gets worse every year! It is obviously top management LIP SERVICE because if they meant it, they could fix it tomorrow. They have hundreds of BILLIONS in the bank. If they REALLY cared about employee work/life balance, they could bring aboard the right number of folks to make that issue dissolve. Sick of hearing the lies. Just don't lie about wanting to fix it, when they clearly DON'T care

Company genuinely cares about you!

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - great work environment
    - great salary (especially for retail)
    - lots of peer support
    - lots of management support
    - lots of learning experiences and resources
    - opportunity for advancement
    - opportunities for "career experiences" in corporate roles, for retail staff (underutilized, apparently. go for it!)
    - you become really good friends with your peer group, or maybe even family!
    - Amazing sense of belonging and community
    - great stepping stone to new career, if that is your choice

Cons

- Too much "drinking the kool aid". WAY too much. I hope this is an apt metaphor: Imagine you have an 8oz cup in your hand. They pour a 64oz pitcher of Kool-Aid into your 8oz. cup. Then they pour a pitcher of sugar into the same cup. You get diabetes. The amount of company propaganda is absolutely astounding and excessive to point of being absolutely ridiculous, wherein you feel like a caricature of yourself wearing this blue shirt. This is coming from me, a lifelong Apple fan since 1987 (the year I started using computers).
    - FAR too much bashing of anything that isn't Apple. Apple has now decided as a company, to compare itself to Samsung and Google, etc etc. It used to decide not to compare itself to anybody. This shows everywhere from development to retail attitudes.
    - Willing isolation from and ignorance of the rest of the world of technology. Apple exists in a bubble, and those within the bubble are blissfully unaware that any other technology is relevant and useful. I heard one employee say that Microsoft Office is going the way of the dinosaurs. Nobody called him out on this. What dream world is he living in???? Isn't it better to learn Apple's technology in a way that helps it workably coexist with other technology? This is equally as important as learning the Apple ecosystem, which, yes, in itself is amazing.
    - Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis.
    - No ongoing training program to keep your technical skills sharp and up to date. Instead, they offer "Pathways", which is meant to improve your social skills. Great! But isn't that why they hired us to begin with? You have to search Apple's technical reporting system for relevant known issues, which is fine but if you don't (and a lot of techs don't) you usually find out what those are when a customer has a problem and you don't know the answer. One person who happened to look at iDesk might know the answer, but if they're not available, you may end up giving the customer the wrong solution. The signal to noise ratio of important, specific information is a total mess.
    - "I can't believe they re-arranged the lockers. I'm thinking about quitting now." Everyone joins in agreement. Really, guys? C'mon. Again, as I mentioned in my point about the Apple "bubble", the perception of reality can be largely distorted. Management has to work REALLY REALLY hard to bend over backwards for every little thing. So how much energy do they have left over to make sure their techs are up to date, or that sales staff knows their specs and has good ways of explaining tech to non-tech people? Apple is very big on managing expectations for customers (great, actually!) but could do a lot better to manage expectations for employees. Maybe this would improve management's time and ability to fix some more important issues.
    - Far too many points of contact for customers. A customer may end up talking to between 4 and 8 different people who may end up telling them lots of conflicting things. Either communication needs to improve in the store or the number of contact points needs to decrease somehow.

Advice to Management

My feedback section was long, I realize, but it's because I genuinely care about Apple as a company and would love to see things improve in real, tangible ways where the signal to noise ratio is considered for retail as much as it is considered for its products and services!

Consider and analyze the cons I wrote above and communicate them with your market leaders! How successful IS Pathways, really, for example? Everything has to be given a chance to work, of course, but I think maybe corporate doesn't get enough constructive feedback from its retail stores for fear of being perceived as not having put enough effort into making these things work.

Regardless, I loved working for Apple and would absolutely return given the need and/or opportunity.

Loved It

I worked at Apple

Pros

Discount$ were great
    Opportunities were abundant
    Coworkers were hott
    Broworkers were awesome
    Technology was cool

Cons

Hours bad
    Drama abundant
    No sex with coworkers
    Manager was gay and tried to seduce me
    Etc.

Advice to Management

Stop sexual harassment

Excellent experience, poorly managed

Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- work on the best products in the world with the autonomy to "do what is right" versus "do what is cheap" -- excellent training for an early-career engineer
    - lots of support for learning and investigation, a culture of innovation and invention
    - surrounded by smart and passionate people

Cons

- tons of politics between teams
    - people are treated like resources here, don't expect anyone to care about your work-life balance -- but you have to be willing to sacrifice to do well here
    - culture varies drastically from group to group, some groups are great and some have a toxic culture
    - it seems to get ahead here you have to both be a rockstar *and* willing to step on people to get to the top -- which results in the top management spots being held by people with questionable moral standing

Advice to Management

Upper management at Apple is entrenched with "old white guys". There is little diversity in leadership, and few successful role models for people who aren't "old white guys".

Rewarding

Current Employee - At-Home Advisor in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - At-Home Advisor in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Apple

Pros

-Good environment
    -Good pay
    -Good internal resources
    -Good hours
    -No commute (At-Home Advisor)

Cons

-Metrics are outrageously important
    -Customer feedback surveys are outrageously important

Advice to Management

Finding an appropriate balance with metrics is hard. I know Apple does a lot of changes and does their best. It's a work in progress, and I get that.

The Best Company I've Ever Worked.

Current Employee - Lead Creative in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Creative in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Very Good Training
    - Amazing Benefits, very good pay when compared to other retail jobs.
    - You work with unbelievably talented people.
    - They truly care about making the world a better place through technology. Corny, I know, but it's true.

Cons

- The Retail hours can wear down on you after a while.
    - They expect their leaders at all levels to be ready to make Apple their life's work, even people who are only the equivalent of team supervisors.

Advice to Management

The advice I would say is to give their people a better work-life balance. It's definitely there, but sometimes they expect you to make business commitments that knowingly interfere with personal ones.

great

I have been working at Apple part-time

Pros

great workspace to work in. very easy going work friendly environment. great company. easy to move up for better roles/titles.

Cons

attendance policy sucks. hard to days off in advance with the current system they use.

9. Great Place to Get Started, Very Manager Dependent

Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Apple (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great discounts, good pay for retail along with benefits. depending on the store it can be crazy at times, which is good if you like that.

Cons

Some managers, especially the latter ones are so driven by attach rate, etc it can be annoying and discouraging, no matter how hard you try. Discourage the Best Buy attach mentality.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but make sure some of the newer managers aren't alienating those that got you this far...

10. AppleCare College Program

Current Employee - IOS Advisor in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - IOS Advisor in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits, flexible hours, educational assistance, fitness reimbursement, etc.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job!

11. Best retail/work experience!

I worked at Apple part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and great product discounts.

Cons

Not a lot of vertical movement. Promotions are hard to come by. Since it is retail, you'll lose your weekends (especially during product launches).

Advice to Management

Don't have favorites. Be better mentors despite constant role shifting.