Apple

4,393 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,452 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, Rewarding, but ZERO work/life balance. Most satisfying , most difficult and most rewarding job ever.

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We work with geniuses - in every department, We create innovative products that thrill our customers and create new product categories - who else can say that?

Cons

ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance. Execs have been saying for YEARS that they understand and will make it better. But in actuality, it gets worse every year! It is obviously top management LIP SERVICE because if they meant it, they could fix it tomorrow. They have hundreds of BILLIONS in the bank. If they REALLY cared about employee work/life balance, they could bring aboard the right number of folks to make that issue dissolve. Sick of hearing the lies. Just don't lie about wanting to fix it, when they clearly DON'T care

Company genuinely cares about you!

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT

I worked at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - great work environment
    - great salary (especially for retail)
    - lots of peer support
    - lots of management support
    - lots of learning experiences and resources
    - opportunity for advancement
    - opportunities for "career experiences" in corporate roles, for retail staff (underutilized, apparently. go for it!)
    - you become really good friends with your peer group, or maybe even family!
    - Amazing sense of belonging and community
    - great stepping stone to new career, if that is your choice

Cons

- Too much "drinking the kool aid". WAY too much. I hope this is an apt metaphor: Imagine you have an 8oz cup in your hand. They pour a 64oz pitcher of Kool-Aid into your 8oz. cup. Then they pour a pitcher of sugar into the same cup. You get diabetes. The amount of company propaganda is absolutely astounding and excessive to point of being absolutely ridiculous, wherein you feel like a caricature of yourself wearing this blue shirt. This is coming from me, a lifelong Apple fan since 1987 (the year I started using computers).
    - FAR too much bashing of anything that isn't Apple. Apple has now decided as a company, to compare itself to Samsung and Google, etc etc. It used to decide not to compare itself to anybody. This shows everywhere from development to retail attitudes.
    - Willing isolation from and ignorance of the rest of the world of technology. Apple exists in a bubble, and those within the bubble are blissfully unaware that any other technology is relevant and useful. I heard one employee say that Microsoft Office is going the way of the dinosaurs. Nobody called him out on this. What dream world is he living in???? Isn't it better to learn Apple's technology in a way that helps it workably coexist with other technology? This is equally as important as learning the Apple ecosystem, which, yes, in itself is amazing.
    - Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis.
    - No ongoing training program to keep your technical skills sharp and up to date. Instead, they offer "Pathways", which is meant to improve your social skills. Great! But isn't that why they hired us to begin with? You have to search Apple's technical reporting system for relevant known issues, which is fine but if you don't (and a lot of techs don't) you usually find out what those are when a customer has a problem and you don't know the answer. One person who happened to look at iDesk might know the answer, but if they're not available, you may end up giving the customer the wrong solution. The signal to noise ratio of important, specific information is a total mess.
    - "I can't believe they re-arranged the lockers. I'm thinking about quitting now." Everyone joins in agreement. Really, guys? C'mon. Again, as I mentioned in my point about the Apple "bubble", the perception of reality can be largely distorted. Management has to work REALLY REALLY hard to bend over backwards for every little thing. So how much energy do they have left over to make sure their techs are up to date, or that sales staff knows their specs and has good ways of explaining tech to non-tech people? Apple is very big on managing expectations for customers (great, actually!) but could do a lot better to manage expectations for employees. Maybe this would improve management's time and ability to fix some more important issues.
    - Far too many points of contact for customers. A customer may end up talking to between 4 and 8 different people who may end up telling them lots of conflicting things. Either communication needs to improve in the store or the number of contact points needs to decrease somehow.

My feedback section was long, I realize, but it's because I genuinely care about Apple as a company and would love to see things improve in real, tangible ways where the signal to noise ratio is considered for retail as much as it is considered for its products and services!

Consider and analyze the cons I wrote above and communicate them with your market leaders! How successful IS Pathways, really, for example? Everything has to be given a chance to work, of course, but I think maybe corporate doesn't get enough constructive feedback from its retail stores for fear of being perceived as not having put enough effort into making these things work.

Regardless, I loved working for Apple and would absolutely return given the need and/or opportunity.

Great culture, awesome benefits, but low pay and growth

Current Employee - Family Room Specialist
    Current Employee - Family Room Specialist

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, awesome benefits, opportunities to travel and meet amazing people are frequent

Cons

Pay is not very high for the demands made on employees, growth is difficult and most people never make it past retail

Great Experience, Well Compensated

Current Employee - Product Design Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Product Design Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working at Apple. The opportunities are second to none. You get to work on products that the whole world wants. I get to travel and the compensation is great.

Cons

Hours are long, the management does not always maintain a common message. Culture can be a bit cutthroat at times.

Top place to work

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Top talent
    Challenges
    Great support from management
    Common goal
    Apple culture

Cons

Work/life balance
    Number of emails
    Travel
    Limited employee benefits compared to other top companies (e.g. Day care, free food, other)

Continue to push and maintain apple culture

All employees are energetic, creative, and fun! Just walk into an Apple retail store to find out for yourself!

Current Employee - Apple At Home Advisor
    Current Employee - Apple At Home Advisor

I have been working at Apple part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This working environment is one you want to be in. You will be surrounded by great people, have competitive benefits, and a highly regarded job.

Cons

The turn around in the recruitment process is lengthy. However, it is just as rewarding once it is over!

Keep doing what you are doing! This company makes it a lot easier for the world to go round! Keep it up!

Excellent

Current Employee - Apple Senior Advisor
    Current Employee - Apple Senior Advisor

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Benefits, and general laid back approach.

Cons

Scheduling can be difficult to work around. You do shift bids, and are not guaranteed anything for your shift which changes every 3-4 months.

Hard Work and Major Projects.

Current Contractor - Data Analyst in Cupertino, CA
    Current Contractor - Data Analyst in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very passionate and very talented. I have never met better contacts in my life.

Cons

It takes a large amount of work to get a pretty product and before it gets pushed out to the customer, it goes through a vigorous testing and approving cycle that seems to drag on.

Secrecy is important especially when dealing with contractors but disclosure of minor details could make our jobs much easier in the sense that we figure out exactly where our piece of the puzzle lies.

Test Engineer's perpsective

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Perks: lots of travel if you like travelling to Asia, dynamic workplace, high expectations, high performing. Good salary, DRI mentality, freedom to take decisions and navigate product.

Cons

Test engineers are not usually the best of the best though, usually get the grunt of the work without any thanks, are at the end of the pipeline with no say in decision choices.

Program Manager

Current Employee - Operations Program Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Program Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Never boring and always challenges that push the thinking outside the box for solutions. Smart people to work with in every capacity and rewards in seeing impossible problems being solved with great tenacity and focus by like minded group of people.

Cons

Travel and work/life balance has always been the challenge from most of the employees in operations. Most of the manufacturing is still done overseas which tend to keep travels very high.

Building local onsite team more to help keep balance for employees in the states. Make it mandatory to limit the length of stay to 2wks max before having to return, recoup, and then return again with a good down time.