Apple Reviews

3,912 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,147 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 241 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 205 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours (in 245 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors (in 149 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, Rewarding, but ZERO work/life balance. Most satisfying , most difficult and most rewarding job ever.

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We work with geniuses - in every department, We create innovative products that thrill our customers and create new product categories - who else can say that?

Cons

ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance. Execs have been saying for YEARS that they understand and will make it better. But in actuality, it gets worse every year! It is obviously top management LIP SERVICE because if they meant it, they could fix it tomorrow. They have hundreds of BILLIONS in the bank. If they REALLY cared about employee work/life balance, they could bring aboard the right number of folks to make that issue dissolve. Sick of hearing the lies. Just don't lie about wanting to fix it, when they clearly DON'T care

Company genuinely cares about you!

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT

I worked at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - great work environment
    - great salary (especially for retail)
    - lots of peer support
    - lots of management support
    - lots of learning experiences and resources
    - opportunity for advancement
    - opportunities for "career experiences" in corporate roles, for retail staff (underutilized, apparently. go for it!)
    - you become really good friends with your peer group, or maybe even family!
    - Amazing sense of belonging and community
    - great stepping stone to new career, if that is your choice

Cons

- Too much "drinking the kool aid". WAY too much. I hope this is an apt metaphor: Imagine you have an 8oz cup in your hand. They pour a 64oz pitcher of Kool-Aid into your 8oz. cup. Then they pour a pitcher of sugar into the same cup. You get diabetes. The amount of company propaganda is absolutely astounding and excessive to point of being absolutely ridiculous, wherein you feel like a caricature of yourself wearing this blue shirt. This is coming from me, a lifelong Apple fan since 1987 (the year I started using computers).
    - FAR too much bashing of anything that isn't Apple. Apple has now decided as a company, to compare itself to Samsung and Google, etc etc. It used to decide not to compare itself to anybody. This shows everywhere from development to retail attitudes.
    - Willing isolation from and ignorance of the rest of the world of technology. Apple exists in a bubble, and those within the bubble are blissfully unaware that any other technology is relevant and useful. I heard one employee say that Microsoft Office is going the way of the dinosaurs. Nobody called him out on this. What dream world is he living in???? Isn't it better to learn Apple's technology in a way that helps it workably coexist with other technology? This is equally as important as learning the Apple ecosystem, which, yes, in itself is amazing.
    - Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis.
    - No ongoing training program to keep your technical skills sharp and up to date. Instead, they offer "Pathways", which is meant to improve your social skills. Great! But isn't that why they hired us to begin with? You have to search Apple's technical reporting system for relevant known issues, which is fine but if you don't (and a lot of techs don't) you usually find out what those are when a customer has a problem and you don't know the answer. One person who happened to look at iDesk might know the answer, but if they're not available, you may end up giving the customer the wrong solution. The signal to noise ratio of important, specific information is a total mess.
    - "I can't believe they re-arranged the lockers. I'm thinking about quitting now." Everyone joins in agreement. Really, guys? C'mon. Again, as I mentioned in my point about the Apple "bubble", the perception of reality can be largely distorted. Management has to work REALLY REALLY hard to bend over backwards for every little thing. So how much energy do they have left over to make sure their techs are up to date, or that sales staff knows their specs and has good ways of explaining tech to non-tech people? Apple is very big on managing expectations for customers (great, actually!) but could do a lot better to manage expectations for employees. Maybe this would improve management's time and ability to fix some more important issues.
    - Far too many points of contact for customers. A customer may end up talking to between 4 and 8 different people who may end up telling them lots of conflicting things. Either communication needs to improve in the store or the number of contact points needs to decrease somehow.

My feedback section was long, I realize, but it's because I genuinely care about Apple as a company and would love to see things improve in real, tangible ways where the signal to noise ratio is considered for retail as much as it is considered for its products and services!

Consider and analyze the cons I wrote above and communicate them with your market leaders! How successful IS Pathways, really, for example? Everything has to be given a chance to work, of course, but I think maybe corporate doesn't get enough constructive feedback from its retail stores for fear of being perceived as not having put enough effort into making these things work.

Regardless, I loved working for Apple and would absolutely return given the need and/or opportunity.

lots of work, but great compensation and experience. very intelligent people to work with.

Current Employee - Product Quality in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Product Quality in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

great compensation, and travel benefits. lots of area to learn from highly intelligent people

Cons

work life balance is not existant. work work work

Great experience but no upward mobility

Current Employee - Specialist in Anchor Point, AK
    Current Employee - Specialist in Anchor Point, AK

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture,values, benefits, focus on employees,

Cons

fight for hours, no uppward mobility

Fun company to work with

I worked at Apple full-time

Pros

Great co-workers for the most part. Great company to have on your resumé. Great place to learn a lot as well

Cons

promotions are a high school popularity contest. Some Customers can be extremely unruly (threatening to throw various iDevices at your face for not replacing them). Stress will become your best friend and you have no say in the matter

Awesome team, great experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Worked at a machine learning team in the iTunes division. People are generally really nice and there's a ton of things to learn.

Cons

Some people care about pedigrees even after you get in. Some people believe that "machine learning" is only for PhDs.

Thanks.

It's just retail

Current Employee - BOH Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - BOH Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of my coworkers are great

Cons

Management is awful. They micromanage without knowing what it is the different departments actually do.
    Time off is hard to get and the scheduling is a nightmare.
    External hires and transfers are brought in instead of promoting from within.

Great people and products.

Current Employee - At-Home Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - At-Home Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have amazing benefits and are very understanding if things come up. They hold their products high and expect the customers to get top quality help. There is a lot of metrics to adhere to, but the customer is always the top priority.

Cons

Promotions don't really make sense. They aren't necessarily looking for the best talent to promote first, but they do have opportunities for advancement.

Please look at those with more experience and good metrics and help them to get promoted especially if their peers are getting moved up with less experience and metrics.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in New York, NY

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good benefits, people-first culture, worked with some really creative coworkers, good opportunities for growth, can easily transfer to different stores around the country

Cons

Customers can be particularly draining

Be sensitive to the mental health needs of your employees, but keep fostering a creative atmosphere of smart, happy people

Great Company, Retail Hours

Current Employee - Genius Administrator
    Current Employee - Genius Administrator

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Limitless potential, Training, Work-Life Balance, Benefits

Cons

The Hours can be long and are not 9-5