Apple Reviews

4,533 Reviews
Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,538 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

Challenging, Rewarding, but ZERO work/life balance. Most satisfying , most difficult and most rewarding job ever.

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We work with geniuses - in every department, We create innovative products that thrill our customers and create new product categories - who else can say that?

Cons

ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance. Execs have been saying for YEARS that they understand and will make it better. But in actuality, it gets worse every year! It is obviously top management LIP SERVICE because if they meant it, they could fix it tomorrow. They have hundreds of BILLIONS in the bank. If they REALLY cared about employee work/life balance, they could bring aboard the right number of folks to make that issue dissolve. Sick of hearing the lies. Just don't lie about wanting to fix it, when they clearly DON'T care

Loved It

I worked at Apple

Pros

Discount$ were great
    Opportunities were abundant
    Coworkers were hott
    Broworkers were awesome
    Technology was cool

Cons

Hours bad
    Drama abundant
    No sex with coworkers
    Manager was gay and tried to seduce me
    Etc.

Stop sexual harassment

Company genuinely cares about you!

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT

I worked at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - great work environment
    - great salary (especially for retail)
    - lots of peer support
    - lots of management support
    - lots of learning experiences and resources
    - opportunity for advancement
    - opportunities for "career experiences" in corporate roles, for retail staff (underutilized, apparently. go for it!)
    - you become really good friends with your peer group, or maybe even family!
    - Amazing sense of belonging and community
    - great stepping stone to new career, if that is your choice

Cons

- Too much "drinking the kool aid". WAY too much. I hope this is an apt metaphor: Imagine you have an 8oz cup in your hand. They pour a 64oz pitcher of Kool-Aid into your 8oz. cup. Then they pour a pitcher of sugar into the same cup. You get diabetes. The amount of company propaganda is absolutely astounding and excessive to point of being absolutely ridiculous, wherein you feel like a caricature of yourself wearing this blue shirt. This is coming from me, a lifelong Apple fan since 1987 (the year I started using computers).
    - FAR too much bashing of anything that isn't Apple. Apple has now decided as a company, to compare itself to Samsung and Google, etc etc. It used to decide not to compare itself to anybody. This shows everywhere from development to retail attitudes.
    - Willing isolation from and ignorance of the rest of the world of technology. Apple exists in a bubble, and those within the bubble are blissfully unaware that any other technology is relevant and useful. I heard one employee say that Microsoft Office is going the way of the dinosaurs. Nobody called him out on this. What dream world is he living in???? Isn't it better to learn Apple's technology in a way that helps it workably coexist with other technology? This is equally as important as learning the Apple ecosystem, which, yes, in itself is amazing.
    - Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis.
    - No ongoing training program to keep your technical skills sharp and up to date. Instead, they offer "Pathways", which is meant to improve your social skills. Great! But isn't that why they hired us to begin with? You have to search Apple's technical reporting system for relevant known issues, which is fine but if you don't (and a lot of techs don't) you usually find out what those are when a customer has a problem and you don't know the answer. One person who happened to look at iDesk might know the answer, but if they're not available, you may end up giving the customer the wrong solution. The signal to noise ratio of important, specific information is a total mess.
    - "I can't believe they re-arranged the lockers. I'm thinking about quitting now." Everyone joins in agreement. Really, guys? C'mon. Again, as I mentioned in my point about the Apple "bubble", the perception of reality can be largely distorted. Management has to work REALLY REALLY hard to bend over backwards for every little thing. So how much energy do they have left over to make sure their techs are up to date, or that sales staff knows their specs and has good ways of explaining tech to non-tech people? Apple is very big on managing expectations for customers (great, actually!) but could do a lot better to manage expectations for employees. Maybe this would improve management's time and ability to fix some more important issues.
    - Far too many points of contact for customers. A customer may end up talking to between 4 and 8 different people who may end up telling them lots of conflicting things. Either communication needs to improve in the store or the number of contact points needs to decrease somehow.

My feedback section was long, I realize, but it's because I genuinely care about Apple as a company and would love to see things improve in real, tangible ways where the signal to noise ratio is considered for retail as much as it is considered for its products and services!

Consider and analyze the cons I wrote above and communicate them with your market leaders! How successful IS Pathways, really, for example? Everything has to be given a chance to work, of course, but I think maybe corporate doesn't get enough constructive feedback from its retail stores for fear of being perceived as not having put enough effort into making these things work.

Regardless, I loved working for Apple and would absolutely return given the need and/or opportunity.

Engineering: perennial growth opportunities in a high stakes environment

Current Employee - Hardware Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The teamwork, when it clicks (about 80% of the time), is incredible. Individuals carry tremendous responsibility, but always have the cross-functional team there to support an back them up.

Cons

The complexity, intensity, and time spent doing this job consumes most of one's life. There is no work vs. life balance. It is work/life synthesis. I've become comfortable with that; for some, it doesn't make sense.

Continuously re-commit to making great products that enrich people's lives.
    Continuously re-commit to attracting and cultivating great people.
    Be tough while being kind.

6. At-Home Advisor College Position

Former Employee - At-Home Advisor
    Former Employee - At-Home Advisor

I worked at Apple part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with, A+ training, amazing benefits, solid compensation, especially as a college student. Very positive work culture, it makes one very motivated to work every day.

Cons

Having to work during the majority of holidays. You get New Years and Thanksgiving weekend off, but Christmas, New Years eve, and other holidays were expected.

7. Wellness/Nutrition Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Sacramento, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Apple as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Great team of people who are highly knowledgeable.

Cons

Culture is serious for a tech company.

Management was excellent.

8. Family Room Specialist

Current Employee - Family Room Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Family Room Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Positive environment, great benefits, lots of opportunities to grow personally and professionally.

Cons

Retail job means retail hours -- nights and weekends are not optional.

9. great

Current Employee - Business Specialist in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Business Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

you work for apple, you work with great smart people

Cons

moving up is... possible, but very political

sorry to see how the corporate and the retail side don't communicate.

10. great

Current Employee - Apple Genius
    Current Employee - Apple Genius

I have been working at Apple

Pros

really good place to work at good environment could not say there really is anything bad

Cons

once again i didn't find anything bad only part that i don't like i have to work on weekends however that's retail

none

11. good company

I have been working at Apple

Pros

very friendly boss and staffs

Cons

i dont like some of the people there