Apple
3.9 of 5 3,433 reviews
www.apple.com Cupertino, CA 5000+ Employees

Apple Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Great benefits with above average pay scales for most departments"
    in 195 reviews
  • "Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers"
    in 185 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours"
    in 168 reviews
  • "could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors"
    in 131 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

If you love Apple products, it's an amazing place to work. The compensation and growth potential is lacking.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsWork with some of the brightest and most passionate people in today's workforce. Great culture of hard work, passion, and innovation with less bureaucracy than other large sized companies.

ConsCertain departments are lax on reviews and feedback on areas of improvement needed. Everyone is so busy there are often times that room for professional development is put on the back burner. Apple often hires senior positions from outside the company so room for growth is limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on professional growth for employees to enable them to move up within the company. Deal with the fact that many employees know other high-tech companies provide larger comp packages (focus on the non-monetary benefits of working for Apple).

Apple is awesome for hard workers.

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsFree product depending on your group.

If you're truly driven by your work, then this is the place. It truly is a products, customers, and the numbers will follow sort of place.

Good health benefits, good on site benefits, subsidized good food. No matter how much vacation time you have saved up, the company still shuts down from Christmas to the day after New Years (but you might have to still work).

ConsIf you're not the type to take pride in saying, "I work for Apple" to people then this isn't the place for you.

If you can't handle ambiguity, this isn't the place for you.

If you want 9-6 with an hour lunch, 5 days a week, this isn't the place for you.

Everyone is so focused on delivering something great that the "process" isn't always reviewed, since there aren't many processes, the wheel gets reinvented.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it feels like employees are always there for Apple, but Apple isn't always there for the employees. That's really the case with any big company, but Apple is so successful and so lean, I don't think it'd take much to share a little more of the success.

Apple retail is fun (for a while)

Leawood, KS

ProsApple is a fun yet challenging place to work

Consretail hours get hectic sometimes

Advice to Senior ManagementIt varies from store to store.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun to be part of something great, but you won't get credit for much

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsVery exciting products and a bright future.

ConsMost employees are treated as replaceable parts.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees want to have ownership but middle management is so busy managing up they don't allow workers the freedom to do their jobs proactively. Managers just don't trust their staff to make them look good to senior management... that's really your primary task.

8 out of 10 on NPS

Genius (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsVery good place to work. Great benefits, great co-workers. Most of all especially since Apple products are such a hot commodity their retail and corporate sectors has weathered the economic woes over the last few years. So... I think that explains it!

ConsSince I work in the retail sector it's very demanding and can be very redundant. The products and services pretty much sell themselves. There's no real challenge for me at this company in my position anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not make something harder than it needs to be.

Apple

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsMost interesting and challenging work of my career.
    Technology is ground breaking

ConsWork load incredible
    Information sharing in company is not so good

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Firmware development for Apple products

Firmware Engineer III (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsYou get a chance to work with teams where management & engineers are very Intelligent and Hard working. Go Apple :)

ConsCertain HR benefits are less compared to other companies but other than that I don't see any other downsides of working @ apple. This is a great place to work and grow in your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement makes all the right decisions on a timely manner and always produce products of high quality in the market. I think providing more benefits to company employees would be the advise from my side.

Love Apple

Specialist (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsCompany is the greatest ever.

ConsI wish they gave more hours

Advice to Senior Managementgive more hours

One Hell of an Internship

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

Pros* Beer bashes! Free beer!
    * Intern Activities. They took us out to ballgames, a party boat in the bay, and other fun stuff.
    * Doing REAL work. I was given an actual project to complete and demo to our VP. Awesome!

ConsSeriously, there is no downside to working here as an intern. You'd be very very very crazy not to accept!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is nothing I can think of that would help my leadership. The closest thing might be to make sure managers keep up on their intern's work.

Kind of a Con

Family Room Specialist (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe benefits package is amazing. Medical, Dental, Vision, an insane employee discount for you and your family, as well as a variety of discounts at other stores and venues. Being a specialist is super-easy.

ConsThe Family Room Specialist position is a total con. When it was offered to me, it was referred to as an entry-level position, yet it is a position that those who start as specialists are promoted to. The work is backbreaking, requiring a significant deal of knowledge and an ability to take abuse from customers. You don't get to just chat with customers about cool speaker systems. You have to deliver the bad news. You have to be able to deal with pissed of customers, work quickly, be creative and sharp. It's a huge step up from the specialist position, and although it requires only a tenth of the technical skill required to be Genius, it requires just as strong an ability to work with angry, upset and confused customers with broken tech. Yet you make less than half of what some of the geniuses make.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like counselors at summer camp. Yes, there are a lot of college-aged kids working at the store, but there are plenty of adults there who deserve to be treated as such. Also, try and hide the favoritism a little bit. Not because it makes employees who aren't favorites feel bad, but it makes you look like really weak leaders.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Apple CEO Tim Cook. All 146 reviews posted anonymously by Apple employees.