Apple Reviews

4.0
Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,351 Ratings

Pros
  • great benefits for part time employees (in 246 reviews)

• Competitive atmosphere; great peer work environment (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance (in 252 reviews)

• Something great requires long hours (in 151 reviews)

4,127 Employee Reviews

Loved It

I worked at Apple

Pros

Discount$ were great
    Opportunities were abundant
    Coworkers were hott
    Broworkers were awesome
    Technology was cool

Cons

Hours bad
    Drama abundant
    No sex with coworkers
    Manager was gay and tried to seduce me
    Etc.

Advice to Management

Stop sexual harassment

Challenging, Rewarding, but ZERO work/life balance. Most satisfying , most difficult and most rewarding job ever.

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We work with geniuses - in every department, We create innovative products that thrill our customers and create new product categories - who else can say that?

Cons

ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance. Execs have been saying for YEARS that they understand and will make it better. But in actuality, it gets worse every year! It is obviously top management LIP SERVICE because if they meant it, they could fix it tomorrow. They have hundreds of BILLIONS in the bank. If they REALLY cared about employee work/life balance, they could bring aboard the right number of folks to make that issue dissolve. Sick of hearing the lies. Just don't lie about wanting to fix it, when they clearly DON'T care

Company genuinely cares about you!

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - great work environment
    - great salary (especially for retail)
    - lots of peer support
    - lots of management support
    - lots of learning experiences and resources
    - opportunity for advancement
    - opportunities for "career experiences" in corporate roles, for retail staff (underutilized, apparently. go for it!)
    - you become really good friends with your peer group, or maybe even family!
    - Amazing sense of belonging and community
    - great stepping stone to new career, if that is your choice

Cons

- Too much "drinking the kool aid". WAY too much. I hope this is an apt metaphor: Imagine you have an 8oz cup in your hand. They pour a 64oz pitcher of Kool-Aid into your 8oz. cup. Then they pour a pitcher of sugar into the same cup. You get diabetes. The amount of company propaganda is absolutely astounding and excessive to point of being absolutely ridiculous, wherein you feel like a caricature of yourself wearing this blue shirt. This is coming from me, a lifelong Apple fan since 1987 (the year I started using computers).
    - FAR too much bashing of anything that isn't Apple. Apple has now decided as a company, to compare itself to Samsung and Google, etc etc. It used to decide not to compare itself to anybody. This shows everywhere from development to retail attitudes.
    - Willing isolation from and ignorance of the rest of the world of technology. Apple exists in a bubble, and those within the bubble are blissfully unaware that any other technology is relevant and useful. I heard one employee say that Microsoft Office is going the way of the dinosaurs. Nobody called him out on this. What dream world is he living in???? Isn't it better to learn Apple's technology in a way that helps it workably coexist with other technology? This is equally as important as learning the Apple ecosystem, which, yes, in itself is amazing.
    - Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis.
    - No ongoing training program to keep your technical skills sharp and up to date. Instead, they offer "Pathways", which is meant to improve your social skills. Great! But isn't that why they hired us to begin with? You have to search Apple's technical reporting system for relevant known issues, which is fine but if you don't (and a lot of techs don't) you usually find out what those are when a customer has a problem and you don't know the answer. One person who happened to look at iDesk might know the answer, but if they're not available, you may end up giving the customer the wrong solution. The signal to noise ratio of important, specific information is a total mess.
    - "I can't believe they re-arranged the lockers. I'm thinking about quitting now." Everyone joins in agreement. Really, guys? C'mon. Again, as I mentioned in my point about the Apple "bubble", the perception of reality can be largely distorted. Management has to work REALLY REALLY hard to bend over backwards for every little thing. So how much energy do they have left over to make sure their techs are up to date, or that sales staff knows their specs and has good ways of explaining tech to non-tech people? Apple is very big on managing expectations for customers (great, actually!) but could do a lot better to manage expectations for employees. Maybe this would improve management's time and ability to fix some more important issues.
    - Far too many points of contact for customers. A customer may end up talking to between 4 and 8 different people who may end up telling them lots of conflicting things. Either communication needs to improve in the store or the number of contact points needs to decrease somehow.

Advice to Management

My feedback section was long, I realize, but it's because I genuinely care about Apple as a company and would love to see things improve in real, tangible ways where the signal to noise ratio is considered for retail as much as it is considered for its products and services!

Consider and analyze the cons I wrote above and communicate them with your market leaders! How successful IS Pathways, really, for example? Everything has to be given a chance to work, of course, but I think maybe corporate doesn't get enough constructive feedback from its retail stores for fear of being perceived as not having put enough effort into making these things work.

Regardless, I loved working for Apple and would absolutely return given the need and/or opportunity.

At-Home-Advisor

Current Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Apple (More than a year)

Pros

The position is at home. The company is AMAZING. There are limitless advancement opportunities. You work with some very cool people and the leadership cares about your development. You may get coaching but you never get battered or belittled. The pay is decent and the benefits include, 401(k) match, stock purchase options, product discounts and discounts on services across many different areas, education assistance, child care assistance, paid vacation, sick time and other time off options, health club Reimbursment or bike cost set off. You get 1.5 time for OT and it's pretty much unlimited as long as you don't exceed 12 hours in a day or 59 total in a week.

Cons

The schedule changes every 90 days and you have to bid for your shifts so you never know what you are going to get. This makes it extremely hard to plan your life to far in advance. You are also pretty much assured to work a Saturday or Sunday.

Advice to Management

The management consists of a team manager and their area manager. Meetings are held over video and chat. They are supportive of individual development and help you to reach your goal. Management will challenge you if you want to advance but it's always in the spirit of making you better to prepare you for the next role.

AppleCare Advisor (AHA)

Current Employee - Applecare At Home Advisor
    Current Employee - Applecare At Home Advisor

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work environment as you get to work from the comfort of your own home. The people you meet and work along side (though strictly via video/text chat and email) are amazing! Everybody believes in fostering growth and enhancing your skills. The type of dynamic most folks have with their Teams and Managers is inspiring. Working for Apple made me realize a lot about myself in order to become a better person.

Cons

Your work schedule, though flexible, is set for anywhere from a 3-6 month period. The pay is excellent but the environment can be very stressful. Management is mostly competent and helpful, but a few bad eggs do make it through. Reaching out above the normal escalation path is frowned upon, so getting to your boss' boss is difficult without them knowing.

Work From Home

I worked at Apple

Pros

Sent an iMac for work. Worked from home. Good pay.

Cons

Crazy hours. I was usually working 50+ hours a week. Over time every week was nice though.

8. Amazing place to work!

I have been working at Apple full-time

Pros

Apple is family based and you always feel a part of something bigger!

Cons

Schedule changes every 3 months.

9. The best company I've ever worked for hands down.

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Great health benefits, discounts on stocks, fitness reimbursement, free stuff, amazing discounts, great hourly wage, welcomed feedback.

Cons

Hmm.. I got nothing. Apple does everything possible to keep the employees happy. They welcome feedback and actually make changes things that are common "issues".

Advice to Management

Keep the benefits coming.

10. Specialist

I have been working at Apple part-time

Pros

great benefits
    awesome pay
    awesome work environment
    easy to get hours
    opportunity to move up
    you are valued as an employee
    a lot of training

Cons

busy - which can get overwhelming

11. Specialist

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Arlington, VA

I worked at Apple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Creative and laid-back atmosphere.

Cons

Really none that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Great work and thanks for the looking out for the employees.

Showing 4,127 of 5,129 reviews