Apple

Apple Reviews

3.8

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

great place to start or re-start a carrer

Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apple

Pros

great brand, lots of opportunity for growth with the brand, retail...they get it. the pay is good and it can be a fun job where you can make friends in a non-competitive environment

Cons

can be poor communication in the store. they also focus too much on selling attachments to customers. They to do a better job of backing up their employees and and stand up for them when confronted with difficult customers

better communication and do a better job of backing up their employees and and stand up for them when confronted with difficult customers

Get a second job if you plan to get stuff based on employee discounts.

Former Employee - Creative (Apple Store) in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Creative (Apple Store) in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apple

Pros

You learn alot about software and hardware. The people (coworkers) are great and it truly feels like you're a part of something bigger.

Cons

Work life balance, no perks, 25% off a computer, come on give your employees a break. Very little in compensation. They change policy constantly and really have no concept of how to treat people as humans (senior management)

Listen to your employees and get a new management in Stonestown. You should actually visit your stores and see how the people are doing not just conference call senior management once a week.

A great place to gain valuable experience.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Apple has a unique work environment that both encourages and requires independence and the ability to be versatile. Aside from working on the newest and greatest consumer products, Apple's fast pace enables one to learn and gain much more experience quickly than one would at other companies where work is slower.

For those who like to travel, Apple can be a great experience leading to opportunities and luxuries that one would typically not be able to enjoy themselves.

Cons

For those who don't want to travel, Apple is not the company for them in an ops position. Travel is required and very frequent in order to be on top of issues that are pertinent to ones position.

A lack of structure is an obvious flaw which affects the team's ability to stay organized and to keep the lines of communication open.

Senior management needs to analyze what changes are needed as Apple continues to grow in both product and employee size. What has worked for a smaller company no longer works as easily.

Fun place to work but add-ons can be a drag

Current Employee - Apple Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Apple Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Apple

Pros

If you love Apple, its exciting to be around all the newest and best technology. I was a promotor of Apple products before working here and thats all I do in the store. Most of the other employees there are really cool and I've made some life long friends, but some are kinda odd as well. Most of the managers listen to me when I have a problem at work or at home, and are very willing to help.

Cons

By teaching us how to ask open/close ended questions to every guest that purchases something in order to find an opening to suggest a relevant solution, they expect us to sell a certain amount of "add-ons" like Applecare, Procare, MobileMe and OnetoOne with every product sold. I would rather just like to have a genuine conversation with the guest and not have to worry about sale numbers especially since I don't make commission. Most guests are already on a budget when buying and I can tell they already feel pressured to buy if I bring up MobileMe and how well it works with iLife. And at that point, I still have to go over Applecare and OnetoOne. Oh yeah, I don't make commission.

Keep up with the education of add-ons so we know what we're talking about and just let us have genuine conversations with guests without having to worry about sale numbers. From training, it seems Apple is more concerned about customer interaction than anything but store managers always bring up these add-on sale numbers in meetings and emails constantly, how good they are or how we need to bring them back up asap! If you want numbers then you need to have a traditional selling atmosphere with commission.

Great products, committed to innovation, but a tough place for work

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Cons

Apple has a poor work/life balance. And the promotion schedule is generally too slow, as is the pace of salary increases. However, Apple Inc has amazing products, and is commitment to innovation unlike most companies. Cash flow to employees is fairly limited and based on what I know, no one will think themselves paid well until they make the jump into director level and beyond. However, there's amazing equity appreciation available in a company that carries such a high market valuation. People there are very smart and generally motivated. The "supporting" roles around the products are also motivated, but at times they may not be as committed as your team needs them to be. Ultimately, there's a poor work and life balance at Apple.

Hire more people

Apple is great for interns

Former Employee - Software Engineering in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple

Pros

As intern: contest to come up with business ideas, executive speaker series where you get to hear from the whole apple management, snack rooms where you can get candy/redbull/etc, food in the cafeteria, beer bashes

Cons

high expectations, not enough communication between departments

lets interns learn more about what their bosses are doing on a daily basis

Apple a good place to start.

Current Employee - Creative (Apple Store) in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Creative (Apple Store) in New York, NY

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Great vibe and great place to move up. The level of stress in the job is also pretty small. Only on product days do things get crazy but on the usual day its a great vibe to work there. You get to help people out and its a good feeling.

Cons

We are depending on the market like every one else. Apple tries really hard to make the work fun and we preach that every day to have fun helping people with a huge purchase in there life. Down side is most of the time you have to start of as a part time employee, but to move up its not hard.

Connect a bit more with employees.

Apple: A Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Mac Specialist in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Apple

Pros

The Culture. Apple is all about innovation and really makes their employees feel that even they can make a difference in whatever role they are working. I was impressed with all the management I encountered and the open door culture at Apple.

Cons

The company has left it's roots as the laid back and fun place. It has now become a company in the true sense. It's not terrible, but it went from being a fun place to be to being work. Still, a great place to work.

Get back to your roots. Don't lose sight on why Apple was started and what it stands for. Innovate. Fun. Those are two words that should and do, describe Apple.

Not as great as some might think!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Get to work on all the new hardware. Get to work my own hours pretty much.

Cons

Long hours, little recognition. Cafeteria is a little expensive. It getting really crowded here also. Many people are now 2 to an office. Too many engineers turned managers that don't know how to manage people.

How about a pat on the back once in a while? Where are all of the bonuses when I get excellent reviews? I've never gotten more than 3.5% raise.

It's not work it's Apple!

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store)
    Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store)

I have been working at Apple

Pros

You get the opportunity to enrich and transform lives with some of the coolest technology known to man.

Cons

You can burnout because a passion does not always seems like work but certain positions require you to constantly go over and above when it comes to your time and personal life . . . you have to make apple your life.

none