Apple

www.apple.com

Apple Reviews

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 208 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 194 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours (in 194 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors (in 133 reviews)

More Highlights

great place to start or re-start a carrer

Specialist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgreat brand, lots of opportunity for growth with the brand, retail...they get it. the pay is good and it can be a fun job where you can make friends in a non-competitive environment

Conscan be poor communication in the store. they also focus too much on selling attachments to customers. They to do a better job of backing up their employees and and stand up for them when confronted with difficult customers

Advice to Senior Managementbetter communication and do a better job of backing up their employees and and stand up for them when confronted with difficult customers

Get a second job if you plan to get stuff based on employee discounts.

Creative (Apple Store) (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou learn alot about software and hardware. The people (coworkers) are great and it truly feels like you're a part of something bigger.

ConsWork life balance, no perks, 25% off a computer, come on give your employees a break. Very little in compensation. They change policy constantly and really have no concept of how to treat people as humans (senior management)

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and get a new management in Stonestown. You should actually visit your stores and see how the people are doing not just conference call senior management once a week.

A great place to gain valuable experience.

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsApple has a unique work environment that both encourages and requires independence and the ability to be versatile. Aside from working on the newest and greatest consumer products, Apple's fast pace enables one to learn and gain much more experience quickly than one would at other companies where work is slower.

For those who like to travel, Apple can be a great experience leading to opportunities and luxuries that one would typically not be able to enjoy themselves.

ConsFor those who don't want to travel, Apple is not the company for them in an ops position. Travel is required and very frequent in order to be on top of issues that are pertinent to ones position.

A lack of structure is an obvious flaw which affects the team's ability to stay organized and to keep the lines of communication open.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to analyze what changes are needed as Apple continues to grow in both product and employee size. What has worked for a smaller company no longer works as easily.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun place to work but add-ons can be a drag

Apple Specialist (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsIf you love Apple, its exciting to be around all the newest and best technology. I was a promotor of Apple products before working here and thats all I do in the store. Most of the other employees there are really cool and I've made some life long friends, but some are kinda odd as well. Most of the managers listen to me when I have a problem at work or at home, and are very willing to help.

ConsBy teaching us how to ask open/close ended questions to every guest that purchases something in order to find an opening to suggest a relevant solution, they expect us to sell a certain amount of "add-ons" like Applecare, Procare, MobileMe and OnetoOne with every product sold. I would rather just like to have a genuine conversation with the guest and not have to worry about sale numbers especially since I don't make commission. Most guests are already on a budget when buying and I can tell they already feel pressured to buy if I bring up MobileMe and how well it works with iLife. And at that point, I still have to go over Applecare and OnetoOne. Oh yeah, I don't make commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with the education of add-ons so we know what we're talking about and just let us have genuine conversations with guests without having to worry about sale numbers. From training, it seems Apple is more concerned about customer interaction than anything but store managers always bring up these add-on sale numbers in meetings and emails constantly, how good they are or how we need to bring them back up asap! If you want numbers then you need to have a traditional selling atmosphere with commission.

Great products, committed to innovation, but a tough place for work

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsApple Inc has amazing products, and is commitment to innovation unlike most companies. Cash flow to employees is fairly limited and based on what I know, no one will think themselves paid well until they make the jump into director level and beyond. However, there's amazing equity appreciation available in a company that carries such a high market valuation. People there are very smart and generally motivated. The "supporting" roles around the products are also motivated, but at times they may not be as committed as your team needs them to be. Ultimately, there's a poor work and life balance at Apple.

ConsApple has a poor work/life balance. And the promotion schedule is generally too slow, as is the pace of salary increases. However, Apple Inc has amazing products, and is commitment to innovation unlike most companies. Cash flow to employees is fairly limited and based on what I know, no one will think themselves paid well until they make the jump into director level and beyond. However, there's amazing equity appreciation available in a company that carries such a high market valuation. People there are very smart and generally motivated. The "supporting" roles around the products are also motivated, but at times they may not be as committed as your team needs them to be. Ultimately, there's a poor work and life balance at Apple.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people

Apple is great for interns

Software Engineering (Former Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsAs intern: contest to come up with business ideas, executive speaker series where you get to hear from the whole apple management, snack rooms where you can get candy/redbull/etc, food in the cafeteria, beer bashes

Conshigh expectations, not enough communication between departments

Advice to Senior Managementlets interns learn more about what their bosses are doing on a daily basis

Apple a good place to start.

Creative (Apple Store) (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat vibe and great place to move up. The level of stress in the job is also pretty small. Only on product days do things get crazy but on the usual day its a great vibe to work there. You get to help people out and its a good feeling.

ConsWe are depending on the market like every one else. Apple tries really hard to make the work fun and we preach that every day to have fun helping people with a huge purchase in there life. Down side is most of the time you have to start of as a part time employee, but to move up its not hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementConnect a bit more with employees.

Apple: A Great Place to Work

Mac Specialist (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsThe Culture. Apple is all about innovation and really makes their employees feel that even they can make a difference in whatever role they are working. I was impressed with all the management I encountered and the open door culture at Apple.

ConsThe company has left it's roots as the laid back and fun place. It has now become a company in the true sense. It's not terrible, but it went from being a fun place to be to being work. Still, a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to your roots. Don't lose sight on why Apple was started and what it stands for. Innovate. Fun. Those are two words that should and do, describe Apple.

Not as great as some might think!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsGet to work on all the new hardware. Get to work my own hours pretty much.

ConsLong hours, little recognition. Cafeteria is a little expensive. It getting really crowded here also. Many people are now 2 to an office. Too many engineers turned managers that don't know how to manage people.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about a pat on the back once in a while? Where are all of the bonuses when I get excellent reviews? I've never gotten more than 3.5% raise.

It's not work it's Apple!

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Current Employee)

ProsYou get the opportunity to enrich and transform lives with some of the coolest technology known to man.

ConsYou can burnout because a passion does not always seems like work but certain positions require you to constantly go over and above when it comes to your time and personal life . . . you have to make apple your life.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!