Apple Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.7

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 238 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 204 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours (in 233 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors (in 143 reviews)

More Highlights

A place full of invisible walls

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple

Pros

You get the name in your resume, cool products to play with, and mostly smart people to work with.

Cons

Teams are super protective of their own people.

If there's a problem, it's always huddle time and present the message that it's another team's fault.

Let's save faulting one another for later, apologize, hug it out, say kumbaya and get things resolved. There's nothing wrong with making mistakes as long as you learn from it. There's too much pride in being perfect that it creates unnecessary cycles to keep your bases covered.

Kind of a Con

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Apple

Pros

The benefits package is amazing. Medical, Dental, Vision, an insane employee discount for you and your family, as well as a variety of discounts at other stores and venues. Being a specialist is super-easy.

Cons

The Family Room Specialist position is a total con. When it was offered to me, it was referred to as an entry-level position, yet it is a position that those who start as specialists are promoted to. The work is backbreaking, requiring a significant deal of knowledge and an ability to take abuse from customers. You don't get to just chat with customers about cool speaker systems. You have to deliver the bad news. You have to be able to deal with pissed of customers, work quickly, be creative and sharp. It's a huge step up from the specialist position, and although it requires only a tenth of the technical skill required to be Genius, it requires just as strong an ability to work with angry, upset and confused customers with broken tech. Yet you make less than half of what some of the geniuses make.

Stop acting like counselors at summer camp. Yes, there are a lot of college-aged kids working at the store, but there are plenty of adults there who deserve to be treated as such. Also, try and hide the favoritism a little bit. Not because it makes employees who aren't favorites feel bad, but it makes you look like really weak leaders.

analyst at apple

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple

Pros

proud of the hardware and company brand

Cons

hard to get a new req open

instructions need to be more clear

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Coolest, Smartest People you will ever work with

Current Employee - Middle Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple

Pros

I've worked at 5 Fortune 100 Companies, Apple is the best...very focused, very lean
    You will work hard and your resume will be the bomb
    I am constantly in meetings where i am the dumbest guy in the room
    This is the most efficiently run company on the planet, buy and hold the stock,
    This is company has an incredible work ethic
    Nobody will keep up with Apple over the long run, except maybe Google, and that is just a maybe
    Steve Jobs is the Thomas Edison of this century
    You can find a cool spouse here
    You will be pushed toward excellence beyond your current abilities
    Video games and beer bashes...it is kinda like you never left university
    Your kids, parents, and friends will think you are cool
    Lot's to be proud about here
    Best corporate cafeteria on the planet

Cons

Total Comp less than expected, but offset by the stock, it will continue to grow 30% a year
    Not big on training or rotational programs...more like sink or swim

rotate, crosstrain, provide career path....don't be so cheap

It's just a job

Current Employee - Family Room Specialist  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Family Room Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Great people to work with-Co workers are usually what drives you to come to work day after day
    Benefits-401k, Health benefits, discounts on items.

Cons

It's still retail
    Upper management placed harsh deadlines on staff
    Customers are ungrateful
    Mall hours for some stores-Not always the best

Show us our worth...Let us know we are appreciated. We understand that corporate comes down on you but we carry the company..there would be no Apple without the retail level

Focus is key at Apple

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple

Pros

It's great to work on products with outstanding recognition. Everybody believes in the product to a good extent and engineers ability to provide input on many aspects of a product even if it's not their area of expertise (such as user interface, process, and general quality).

There is little bureaucracy and politics for a company of its size. I've worked for companies many times smaller with far more politics which creates inefficiencies through needless intracompany competitiveness and lack of communication. This is less so at Apple due to 3 reasons: 1) Almost everybody is in Cupertino so it's a lot less likely you'll talk behind someone's back if you actually see them face to face in meetings. 2) There is a culture of communication where it's okay to provide input on process without people getting very offended (Apple's own bug tracking system is part of this. 3) Steve Jobs is on top of things; if he see's bureaucracy he will cut it out, and even if he doesn't there is a fear that if he does see you as a bureaucrat he will cut you out.

I like the people a lot here: They are very smart and pretty humble. There is not much individual arrogance which makes it a comfortable place to be (although there is a fair amount of arrogance on the products). Good focus on products.

Cons

The focus on products (and profits) means it's unlikely for Apple to stray into new territory or experiment with something that doesn't have a clear path for profitability. (There will never by a policy at Apple which allows engineers to spend %20 of their time working on some experimental project like Google or other companies have).

There is some arrogance on the products where engineers believe what they have done is THE right way to do it despite users having valid complaints about it.

Apple is pretty cheap. It's difficult to get managers to to spend money or invest unless there is a clear path for profitability as the result of the investment (this includes training such as books and conferences). Thats one of the reasons it's go $46 billion in the bank.

Also as a result of the company's frugality, Apple hasn't really shared it's success with employees who have worked very hard to get it there. There is job stability in a poor economy, but there is no profit sharing or increase in bonuses as a result of record revenues and profitability. Not even the products are given to employees or discounted very highly.

Share some of the company's success with employees who have worked very hard to get the company where it is.

Great retail job

Former Employee - Specialist  in  Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Specialist in Albany, NY

I worked at Apple

Pros

Great retail job. All of my coworkers were very friendly, and the culture made working at Apple retail more fun.

Cons

Long hours on weekends and holidays. It's hard to plan out vacations and days off because sometimes the schedules aren't released until last minute.

I wish that there were more employees at the Apple store. Sometimes its difficult to balance multiple customers at a time.

If you have to work, work for Apple

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Excellent work environment, superior leadership

Cons

It can get a bit busy and stressful at times.

Better way to capture and review employee performance

Great Company, not a good Career

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store)  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Apple

Pros

Great company to work for and an awesome resume builder. I really enjoyed the job for the first two years but after a while the shine rubs off the Apple.

Cons

I would get a call everyday almost trying to get me to come in and work because they were busy. Great for the company and for their stock, but can be very overwhelming when you just want a peaceful day off.

I think the leadership is good, though they were sometimes not the strongest support. They were sometimes a little to emotional about stuff.

Some groups better than others.

Current Employee - Test Engineer  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Work at Apple on the future.

Cons

they are changing most salary employees to hourly. working on some products much harder than others with little rewards

Middle management is incredibly poor. Employees who have been at Apple previous to the iPod are taken advantage of.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!