Apple Reviews

3,731 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,014 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 208 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 194 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours (in 194 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors (in 133 reviews)

More Highlights

AHA (At Home Advisor) - Don't do it

Current Employee - AHA - At Home Advisor  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - AHA - At Home Advisor in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Apple full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great to work from home where you can wear what ever you want and be surrounded by your pets (if you have any), no need to fork out for transport to and from work or put with with the trending office virus. 10% - 25% off Apple products.

Cons

*Work life balance non existent, having to constantly battle with other people for a 2 month shift where you can get a weekend off (high score/ranking get first pick). 4 x 10 shifts do not allow you to take classes at night and can interfere with home life. Was originally told in interview that Apple is very flexible with their shifts... not unless you are at the top of your team.

* Being scrutinized over every syllable uttered.

* Statistics constantly shoved down your throat (daily), having your statistics shown to everyone else in the team (daily), even worse, having your clothing size broadcast to the rest of the team in an e-mail.

* Guilt tripped over sick leave (oh, everyone has to work SO much harder because you were coughing your guts up).

* Managers who don't care about you, just their statistics and how good you make them look.

* Little room for career opportunities unless you are perfect and appears only ONE way to go up which is to T2. Other options are not available in Australia (contrary to what T/L advised initially).

* Extreme social isolation unless you like being a hermit.

* The expectations are becoming increasingly unrealistic and only obtainable by those who work like robots.

* Lying team leader who likes to mince your words and throw them back at you. Advises about career progression that is not there.

* Contradicting information. Being told one thing, then being told the opposite in the next sentence. Can make for a very frustrating time.

* Give everyone a fair chance at getting a shift that they want, not just offering first time every time to the best performers.

* Cut the guilt tripping over sick leave. If you are sick and you have a Dr. certificate, end of story. Don't keep telling staff how your 2 days off with the flu made everyone else work their fingers to the bone when it didn't.

* Enough with the scrutinizing of every word said. If you want us to help people, let us, back off on telling us what we said wrong according to your impossible guidelines. H2H 'coaching' is just another way to pull down the morale of staff.

* Stop showing everyone else our statistics. This is extremely demoralizing for those who rank down the bottom of the pack. This is not an incentive to try harder like you think it is!

* Find team leaders who actually give a rats about their staff, not just in it as a competition to see who looks the best statistic wise to management.

* The fine line of perfection is getting narrower and narrower with each change. Management out of touch with frontline staff and changes are making the job harder, not easier.

* Offer part time to Australians and offer more career opportunities other than just T2.

* Be mindful of the information that is being filtered out. The contradictions we have had from the team leader are mind blowing and you wonder why we get angry when we never know what is right or wrong anymore?!?!?

Best Company, Worst Company

Current Employee - Expert
    Current Employee - Expert

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The information you learn about the products is second to none. The core competencies, technology used in the work place, and communication of real time reports is all high level. We use iPads to conduct downloads with real time information around sales and performance. We use our iPhone 5 as a basis to order, ring, and collect payment for all products in the store. We take quarterly NPP (Net Promoter People) surveys to make upper management aware of our happiness within the company. We have quarterly reviews with mentor managers to identify areas of improvement and work on peer relations. We have the most amazing 3rd party products that work with our hero products.

Cons

There is little to no room for upward mobility. You do not get acknowledged or increased pay for performance. Politics is everything in this environment and mostly you are given the run around if you want to move into management and eventually corporate. Apple has everything in place to be a top company in the world but their technology is for show and not to support their existing employees. They would rather bring someone from the outside in, rather than reward hard working employees who are passionate about their products. I have witnessed so many talented, educated, highly-skilled people come and go only to watch people put in leadership roles that lack the ability to chew gum and walk simultaneously.

Start looking internally for promotional positions. Raise people up from within the company and maintain the high level of standards you have for the products with your people. There is so much talent attracted to this company and it goes unacknowledged for fear of surpassing those above you. Stop simply reviewing a resume and looking for a babysitter as your solution to management. Take the amazing training and technology and actually use it and your company and it's employees could be unstoppable.

Political, stagnant environment. Innovation is not welcomed.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Being part of big Apple

Cons

Old tools and processes, Work-Lifr Balance is very poor. Consultants, QA and Site Ops are blamed for everything that goes wrong with product. Upper management does not understand modern approaches (Scrum/Agile, Continues Integration, Continues Deployment, etc). People get yelled when production issues are found and blames usually flows downhill until the next scape goat is found and dealt with.

There is no learning from previous mistakes, so the cycle will repeat itself again and again. If you really know your job and willing to share how to improve things - do not join Apple. You expirience is not welcomed there and your proposals will not be heard or implemented. Apple expects everyone to comply and mold. Many people there work for years and completely missed modern advance in technology and processes.

Stop saying: "this is Apple and this is the way we have always done things". Change culture to foster collaboration and learning.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rf engineer

I worked at Apple full-time

Pros

looks good on resume. Nothing else

Cons

Salary/# of hours=Does not add(-Negative)

Sinking ship

Current Employee - Family Room Specialist
    Current Employee - Family Room Specialist

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My teammates (this does NOT include management) are the best. Benefits, stock options, and discounts are also nice. The occasional gracious customer is also refreshing (there just aren't enough of them to make it worth it).

Cons

Overworked, no work life balance, treated like we're expendable, management cares more about getting their bonuses than looking out for their employees, policies have changed to reflect that quantity is more important than quality but we get in trouble if we can't meet numbers and also keep quality high.

In regards to whether I'd recommend someone work in Apple Retail...:
    If you watched a guy on the Titanic trying to convince a passing sailor to climb aboard after the cruise liner had already hit the iceberg, you'd wonder why he would do that when the sailor's vessel was comfortable and in a much better state. Even if that sailor was well qualified to help on the cruise liner, you wouldn't try to convince them that life would be better on a sinking ship. Obviously, the better choice would be to jump ship and see if that sailor could get you aboard their vessel. Some of the more passionate of us stay with the ship because of our love for what we do (think of the musicians that went down with the ship in the movie) but it's depressing and frustrating nonetheless. In our store, our management team is that jerk that keeps people from getting on the lifeboats or pushes people overboard if they get in the way. This is how I see our store.

Stop preaching the credo "Our most important resource, our soul, is our people" if you don't intend to treat us like it. LEAD BY EXAMPLE! If you don't know how to do what we do, how can you effectively support or lead us? There are enough frustrating and ridiculous procedures that come down from corporate teams that have no idea what it's like to work in the stores but it's more frustrating when managers that should know how crazy it is are also blind to it.

Genius

Former Employee - Mac Genius  in  Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Mac Genius in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work with new technology, never boring! Always on your toes thinking fast.

Cons

You are on your feet. Hard to advance in the company. You work with unhappy customers at times.

Be as supportive as you can and always assume positive intent in the employees.

Horrendous

I worked at Apple

Pros

No pros at all, I'm not even going to waste my time saying anything good about this overly-rated abomination of a company.

Cons

Terrible company that works their employees like slaves, only concern with profits rather than true innovation. Apple should be a victim of more cyber-attacks.

Sold a pipe dream

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay, benefits and discounts were great. I got to work with some smart and amazing people.

Cons

No work life balance. Favoritism was an issue that was never addressed. People not being accountable for their actions and performance made it frustrating. Although there are several talented and intelligent ppl, there was equally lazy idiots that should have never been hired and deserve to be fired that still work there. I would never wish bad on anyone, so I will say I hope the culture changes for the better.

Get it together

It's not all what you think: a Corporate European head office perspective

Former Employee - Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Came across some of the most intelligent people from across the globe
    - People outside of Apple (or even those working in the retail store) think it must be amazing working for Apple (really it is not if you work corporate)
    - Nice offices (the illusion to keep you in the "wow" factor)
    - Business Macbook & iPhone (some departments get iPads too)
    - If you survive in Apple Corporate, you can survive almost anywhere

Cons

- No career growth: you have to fight for yourself, you will be lucky if you have a "nice" manager that "helps"
    - Work comes first attitude: "it doesn't matter what is happening in your life, get it done"
    - Back stabbing, two faced politics, lies
    - Lack of recognition for hard work
    - Surprisingly low pay compared to similar jobs in industry
    - Not valuing their employees: "it is a privilege to work at Apple, we can easily replace you"
    - Useless HR: incompetent and essentially managers spies; serious waste of space
    - Extremely under staffed
    - Unreasonable demands that have you working evenings (till morning) and weekend for things which end up not even being important
    - Serious lack of sense of "team": everybody is out for themselves
    - Pay rises are in % increases unless you get "promoted" (you aren't really given a new job, just a lot more responsibility and a bit more money, but sometimes no change to title or hierarchy placement) the amount can be insignificant. Max % increase was 10%, and that is really rare to get! ADVICE: negotiate a big base before joining so those % are worth more.
    - Company brainwashing practices are common (seminars, lectures, lessons). Its hard to believe how many people buy into it internally
    - Please note that the Europe Head office (in London) appeared to be a special case of intensity. The UK office and other European offices appeared to be not as bad (at least from my perspective). Though when weneeded things done by the local offices, they would feel our pain too. Till this day, the Local teams do not know how lucky they have it vs the Head office. I can only imagine how bad it is in the World HQ in Cupertino

- Look after your employees, they are your greatest asset. A lot of your best people leave or are looking to leave. Or even worse, have be grinded down so much they are no longer giving 100%
    - Hire more people
    - Reward people better
    - Help people to grow and move

If you have a disability - you are not welcome

Former Employee - Tech Advisor  in  North Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Tech Advisor in North Sacramento, CA

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The brand name adds value on your resume

Cons

The company lower managers don't care about work balance with personal life especially if you are suffering with any type if disability. They will not accommodate flexibility with work schedule and still expect 60 - 70 hours of extreme work pressure. They have no apathy and will fire you even if you go on medical leave. Not a place for those who have any empairments.

Have 360 rating with lower management. There is a reason why your customer support area is struggling. It's not the workers it's those that you have in charge. People are people not robots or a number to be discarded at whim of management.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!