Apple

3,652 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
1,934 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 208 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 194 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours (in 194 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors (in 133 reviews)

More Highlights

It's not all what you think: a Corporate European head office perspective

Former Employee - Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

- Came across some of the most intelligent people from across the globe
    - People outside of Apple (or even those working in the retail store) think it must be amazing working for Apple (really it is not if you work corporate)
    - Nice offices (the illusion to keep you in the "wow" factor)
    - Business Macbook & iPhone (some departments get iPads too)
    - If you survive in Apple Corporate, you can survive almost anywhere

Cons

- No career growth: you have to fight for yourself, you will be lucky if you have a "nice" manager that "helps"
    - Work comes first attitude: "it doesn't matter what is happening in your life, get it done"
    - Back stabbing, two faced politics, lies
    - Lack of recognition for hard work
    - Surprisingly low pay compared to similar jobs in industry
    - Not valuing their employees: "it is a privilege to work at Apple, we can easily replace you"
    - Useless HR: incompetent and essentially managers spies; serious waste of space
    - Extremely under staffed
    - Unreasonable demands that have you working evenings (till morning) and weekend for things which end up not even being important
    - Serious lack of sense of "team": everybody is out for themselves
    - Pay rises are in % increases unless you get "promoted" (you aren't really given a new job, just a lot more responsibility and a bit more money, but sometimes no change to title or hierarchy placement) the amount can be insignificant. Max % increase was 10%, and that is really rare to get! ADVICE: negotiate a big base before joining so those % are worth more.
    - Company brainwashing practices are common (seminars, lectures, lessons). Its hard to believe how many people buy into it internally
    - Please note that the Europe Head office (in London) appeared to be a special case of intensity. The UK office and other European offices appeared to be not as bad (at least from my perspective). Though when weneeded things done by the local offices, they would feel our pain too. Till this day, the Local teams do not know how lucky they have it vs the Head office. I can only imagine how bad it is in the World HQ in Cupertino

- Look after your employees, they are your greatest asset. A lot of your best people leave or are looking to leave. Or even worse, have be grinded down so much they are no longer giving 100%
    - Hire more people
    - Reward people better
    - Help people to grow and move

If you have a disability - you are not welcome

Former Employee - Tech Advisor  in  North Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Tech Advisor in North Sacramento, CA

Pros

The brand name adds value on your resume

Cons

The company lower managers don't care about work balance with personal life especially if you are suffering with any type if disability. They will not accommodate flexibility with work schedule and still expect 60 - 70 hours of extreme work pressure. They have no apathy and will fire you even if you go on medical leave. Not a place for those who have any empairments.

Have 360 rating with lower management. There is a reason why your customer support area is struggling. It's not the workers it's those that you have in charge. People are people not robots or a number to be discarded at whim of management.

I think I bit into a Rotten Apple

Pros

Great products, although I am reconsidering my support of them after my experience. Caffe Macs has some good offerings.

Cons

This review is for the IS&T area. Probably a worse-than-is-usual experience here than in other areas, as has already been noted in some other reviews. Arrogance is high, timelines are outside of the bounds of reality, documentation is poor, and leadership is weak. The emphasis on quality does not extend beyond the Apple marketing veneer, and certainly does not apply to software. I saw a group of engineers working literally 24/7 for an internal application over a stretch of 3+ months, with no end in sight. If you are at all rational, creative, and desire any type of work-life balance, you should reconsider your options. The worst behavior at any company that I have ever seen. Appalling.

What will you do when your fanboy and H1-B base of free labor dies from exhaustion?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you want to work with fake people who don't care about you this is the place to be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great pay that is literally the only pro.

Cons

Management is terrible, they only care about themselves, every week something new comes up that they are trying to sell us on. The flavor of the week management style is VERY much the way of life. Customers are self entitled and they speak to you any way they want and get away with it. Team is great if you want to get drunk or get high as that is what the majority of team members do to cope with managers and customers.

Please don't lie to everyone about being promoted, you all use these 'promotions/career experiences' as bargaining tools yet they never are real. If you cared half as much about your employees as yourself you would be a great company.

Great Benefits, Terrible Management

Current Employee - Red Zone Specialist  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Red Zone Specialist in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Benefits (even for part-time employees), discounts, coworkers are always very interesting and fun.

Cons

Inconsistent hours, terrible work-life balance, management wants everyone to be a cookie cutter employee with not much room for individuality. Terrible growth opportunities. As an engineer by training, I was told that I "wasn't qualified" for a repair technician position and that I would need to stay in sales. The management team has no experience with technology and is not even required to have used our products in the past. They have no idea what's going on with the technology itself.

Don't be afraid of individuality and value the status of the part-time role. These employees are looking simply for a part-time job, not a life long career with Apple.

Work culture does not make up for the very low wages.

Current Employee - Applecare Advisor  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Applecare Advisor in Austin, TX

Pros

24 hour gym, Monthly Beer Bashes, and employee discounts on Apple products and select 3rd party vendors.

Cons

Due to the current economy, I had to take a 40% pay cut to work here. To advance from your current position, "it is not what you know, but who you know." If you do not know anyone, be prepared to stay in your current role for at least a year or more.

Increase the wages for your front-line employees, offer free food or at least a daily budget for your standard employees, and free healthcare to match our competitors' benefits.

one more thing ... mostly bad things

Current Employee - Not Revealing  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Not Revealing in Cupertino, CA

Pros

The fact that Steve Jobs founded this place and worked here
    Brand Name
    Products
    $$, Freebies, Benefits

Cons

Apple is a mini-China. All operations are handled from China, lot of Chinese people work here. Basically, imagine the China country culture itself, you get the idea. That is the work culture.

Everyone texts everyone and it can be at odd times with no privacy over weekends/nights/days/weekdays.

Some smart people here, but there are some rude ones that think they are Steve Jobs.

Work life balance is literally non-existent. I have seen people cry at times, and detest their jobs.

Managers are more like slave-drivers. Typically they do not have your back if you run into any trouble.

Steve founded this awesome beautiful company. That is the best thing about apple. If you want to respect Steve, and live up to his expectation and pay homage, you need to start caring about people that work for you. Pay some attention to this 24/7 work culture you demand out of every employee.

Developer Program Support

Former Employee - Developer Support  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Developer Support in Austin, TX

Pros

-Relatively fixed schedule
    -Good Insurance
    -Safe area

Cons

-Poor hiring process, a lot of the people they would end up hiring are some of the most self centered people you will come across
    -No value system in department, just easily skewed numbers and gossip
    -Many of the managers are dishonest and have no issue saying whatever they think the other person they are having a conversation with what wants to hear
    -Lack of short or long term growth
    -1 to 2 managers at most would be working while we would run full staff unnecessarily on holidays. Some holidays like 4th of July they would buy pizza after realizing we would run out of work after an hour.
    -Poor planning was the norm
    -Most people are afraid to speak up in fear of retaliation which often made for a volatile work environment

-Ask questions and the right questions
    -Make yourselves available in some capacity outside of required meetings
    -Don't take your employees for granted

Provided phone support for Apple products.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Pros

Opportunity to meet new people on the phone. Get to work with new apple products

Cons

Low pay. Shift bids, can't keep the same shift, have to bid for shifts every three months. Dirty work environment.

I worked for Apple ( phone support ) in Lexington, Ky. I moved to Honolulu, Hi and applied for a position in the Apple retail store and was given an interview. I received an email saying that there were more qualified candidates being considered for the position. I was shocked. I love Apple products and would recommend them to anyone and have pushed my friends to get them. My friends often call me ( the ones who don't have apple care ) asking if I can help with there issues. I once got a call while working for Apple from a Apple retail store and ended up helping the retail worker sell 61 iMacs. That's right 61 iMacs at once. With Apple care. If you don't like the way people look, then tell them that. Oh wait, that's against the law. Wouldn't want to ruin apples image. Just lie to them. Because I know that I'm more than qualified to sell Apple products.

Former Apple employee

Current Employee - Apple Employee
    Current Employee - Apple Employee

Pros

Enjoyed the teamwork and 'fearless feedback' which worked great for everyone to generate revenue for Apple.

Cons

Hire better managers with management experience and key skill sets and not those who have been sitting in retail for the past 20 years. If managers are there just for a paycheck who dislike their job, pay them 5k to get out and replace them with new leadership who will get the job done.

Change management on a quarterly basis and if you're sitting on a few billion dollars, consider changing the pay structure for all employees so they can take a vacation, buy a car and have the opportunity to buy a home. If Apple runs a reputable company then provide incentives with better pay to keep employees for the long haul.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!