Apple

www.apple.com
Employer Engaged

New Employees

I have been working at Apple

Pros

None. Zero. Nada. Zip. Treated badly.

Cons

Apple treats new employees very employee. They wanted me to wait one full year for benefits.

Quit using temp services and hire people permanent.

Apple Retail is an entirely separate entity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Benefits cannot be matched by any other employer (PPO plan)
    - Great employee discounts on peripherals and phone plans
    - Relative to other retail stores, this is one of the best to work for

Cons

- Retail ages ware barely enough to be able to buy computers, even with the discount, rendering the discount almost useless. They're really great as favors for friends/family who have jobs that pay more than yours.
    - Management is extremely skilled at giving you the runaround (also known as Feedback) when it comes time for promotion or a lateral shift in positions. Interviews either end up going cold with no response, or some "surprise star candidate" will swoop out of nowhere to take the position you desire so dearly.
    - Glass ceiling. Extremely little room for advancement. Someone has to either die or get fired for a spot to open up. There are pretty much 2-3 positions you can move into before "management' is the next step, where you get a nice little raise to get yelled at by more customers and deal with disgruntled employees who have no future.
    - Resume killer. Once you've spent enough time in retail, you're essentially silo-ing yourself into that industry. Recruiters will see your experience as retail and generalize you as a retail salesperson, despite your own perception that you do not work at Macy's, Best Buy, Urban Outfitters, etc. If retail is your career choice, you're in the right place. If it isn't, you're screwing yourself.
    - Methodologies to provide customers with "options" for service are really just an euphemism for coercing the customer to conform to the workflow that Apple has set out. You are taught to repeat the same "option" repeatedly until the customer gives up, and agrees with you. That is NOT successful negotiation. It's not truly a choice if you can only provide the option to take it or leave it. That is called communism/socialism/totalitarianism. (ps. This is America.)
    - False perception of creativity. Apple positions itself as a company that breeds creativity. Truth be told, the retail store is merely a delivery mechanism for distributing products. As an employee, you have no impact on product development, processes, etc. You are merely a drone whose role is to hand customers product with a smile and collect payment. (The finger doesn't tell the brain what to do. The finger does what it's supposed to do.)

- Fight for your employees. Protect their personal lives, their time, and their dignity.
    - If you are not interested in hiring or promoting the person, don't yank their chain and give them an interview. It creates false expectations, the very thing you seek to avoid with customers. Hope is a very powerful thing. Stop abusing it.
    - Understand the needs of your employees. Do the same as you would with a customer.
    - Provide employees the bandwidth to make decisions. Canned responses and rigid policy help to standardize the level of service, AT THE MINIMUM. If you want to go above and beyond, do special things.

No longer a company you want to work for

Current Employee - Chat Advisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Chat Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Apple used to be a good company to work for and there was plenty of chances to move up in the company. That has now changed.

Cons

Over the past year it seems they have moved the upper management from China to the US. They have have stopped trying to staff for the amount of business they were receiving and instead required everyone to work overtime far more than normal with complete disregard for their employees. If you like paid slavery then this is the job for you.

Stop looking at employees as numbers and remember they are actual humans.

They wasted my time.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice cafeteria. It was exciting at first, thinking I was going to help the famous garage-shop entrepreneur with his dream.

Cons

It's just unbelievable that, after I hired on I had absolutely no job assignment, no introduction to the group, no keys to the group area. Just sat there waiting, waiting waiting. No matter how much I studied the product line and showed how I could use my skill set to really help them where I knew help was needed, all I got was nothing, no communication, no job assignment. So I watched a critical product get delayed, and delayed, and delayed. Instead of analysis and calculations, their approach to solve the problem was to have meetings meetings meetings on and on with a bunch of people who couldn't care less, staring at their cell phones instead of joining the meeting! I was like, This is Apple? RUFKMe? By having meetings upon meetings the manager could lie to the upper management that something was being done.I looked back at my resume to make sure it didn't say somewhere, "I am skilled at being ignored and tapping my fingers on my desk". Nope, not in there.

If you have a specialist in a field, listen to him and head his advice. If you see a team with no energy, no drive or excitement, why don't you like, go find out why?

A life Changing inspiring work environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, personal health insurance, Product discounts.
    Personal and professional development
    Chance of working with so many highly talented people.

Cons

The disconnect between corporate and retail. The same vision however not implemented the same way. The lack of time for team building and effective communication

bad

I have been working at Apple

Pros

smart people to work with
    great brand name

Cons

pathetic company
    no innovation
    very less salary

"All fur coat and no knickers!"

Former Employee - AppleCare Partner Relations Advisor in Cork (Ireland)
    Former Employee - AppleCare Partner Relations Advisor in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- employee discount
    - health insurance
    - sports & social club

Cons

If you want to be treated like a prisoner or kindergarten child with timed toilet breaks (8 minutes a day) you are at the right place! Apple's "think different" is also wrong because if you do and say it out loud, you will be treated like an outsider. Specific conservative managers might also advise you that your dress code will never get you anywhere. Never saw such incompetent management (only achievable if you have good connections or apparently are a single mother) - if you hate your job, bad luck, you will have to stay 12 months no matter what.
    Also, if you come 1 minute too late in the morning (they allow you 5 min, but after that shame on you!), this will count as an 0.25 incident. You are allowed 3 every 6 months and being sick counts as one as well.
    So, whenever your car breaks down or you simply can't make it in time, nobody will ever forgive you.
    But this is all acceptable as you have so much mind freedom in your job. Yes, you can create your own emails (my manager seriously suggested this as solution for the lack of responsibility I was complaining about) - WOW!
    Two of my favourites were the pathetic call listenings or the iChats you would receive after not finishing your case within 3 minutes or when you are "unavailable" for longer than 10 min. You would get a nice "hey, are you ok" from Big Brother himself.

Please hire people who are actually able to do their job and are not simply brainwashed to follow all their ridiculous policies. Managers should be there to help and support their employees and not to threaten them with further measures to make your life worse.

Don't Think Different. Don't Think At All.

Current Employee - Applecare Advisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Applecare Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In the two positions I've held at Apple, I've been able to work from home for both. Not commuting is nice, but many times, this may not feel like a "pro." Employee discount is better than I expected. Ample vacation days (12 for entry level first-time job) and pretty lenient with sick leave. It's nice to not really have a script that I'm required to read from, since basically AppleCare, as well as my previous Online Store Chat position, closely resembled stereotypical call-center jobs.

Cons

As a home-based employee, of course my interactions with co-workers and supervisors were expected to be drastically different than they would be in a real office. But there's never an effort to balance this out. I can go weeks without a word of casual conversation being said in the team chatroom. I feel almost embarrassed that I'm holding a bachelor's degree from a top university, but I'm surrounded by dull people who do nothing all day but play video games and sleep. You cycle through managers and teams, shift schedules, even entire job roles wlly-nilly, without any input on your part.

There is really no interest in the satisfaction of the customer. It's all about the metrics. You can have stellar reviews from customers, and documented peer feedback from other departments bragging about you, but if you can't average out a 15 minute phone call time to fix the endless list possible issues that can go wrong with a computer, then you're in the hot seat. Don't "fix" your behaviors in 3, 6, then 7 months and you're probably going to be canned. So it's either be curt, and frankly rude, to a lot of the people that buy products from you, or fall down the totem pole in the staff rank and get stuck working a late night shift the next time shift bids come around, which will make good performance tougher, your personal life lonelier, all while any recommendation for a change in the operating procedures is balked at by management.

One is expected to clock-in and immediately start taking calls. 60 seconds is expected between hanging up one call, finishing the case notes, and taking your next call. Any time over 5 minutes will have you speaking with a supervisor. I once had my pay revoked for taking 20 minutes to check email and get situated before logging into the call queue. And even if you're not completely hoarse and exhausted from a nonstop cycle of calls, you will be pressured, and by that i mean threatened with zero consideration for future upward movement, if you do not partake in at least 6 hours per week of overtime during the busy season, which is about 5 months out of the year. I stopped caring when I realized I was spending my extra money from OT on prescription painkillers for my back from being chained to a desk every solitary second for 7.5 hours (that's a day minus 1 hour lunch and two 15 minute breaks). Also during this busy season, you will experience cancellation of team meetings, training seminars, or any other offline time that might have given you a moment of rest from the endless work or time to work on a side project that you could use to show your skills to other areas of the company.

Sum of the story: you are paid to do exactly one job and one job only and you're not allowed to do or think anything else besides that one job. It's a dead-end. I hear the salaried positions are pretty cool, but if you have to work like a dog at the entry level, I hate to think of how life-consuming a position with actual responsibility at this company must be.

Hire more people; people should be allowed to take a breather from such a robotic job, but we can't because we're severely understaffed. Respect talented, intelligent employees with actual competence. Stop promoting based on whether you can reach an arbitrary metric. Being able to blast through a call and being callous with customers does not equal good management material. If I had known I would be forced into such a short-sighted job, where the there's no time to actually appreciate and consider that some individuals might just be really good at doing other jobs besides just this one thing, I would have gone to work for a bank or something.

Good company, great vision and crap leadership

Former Employee - Sales Person
    Former Employee - Sales Person

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- International
    - few benefits
    - great products

Cons

- too much politics
    - definitely not the best people (especially in Management) - the best ones are already gone
    - work atmosphere
    - company is interfering in your private life
    - brainwash,brainwash, brainwash
    - management will punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you
    - HR doesn't help at all

Be honest with employees.

Specialist

Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Palm Desert, CA
    Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Palm Desert, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Directly helping others understand and use technology.
    Strong senses of community amongst peers.
    Beautiful environment to work in.
    Your problem solving skills will be improved dramatically.

Cons

1% chance of advancement.
    Poor training of the necessities execute the expected tasks.
    Store is constantly understaffed and the longer the customers wait the more likely it will be more taxing on you to deliver the appropriate experience. Over time this becomes a situation you can't win

If you say you are going to do something, then do it.
    They say they celebrate diversity, but the truth is that they don't.
    What they do celebrate is a cleverly disguised language which allows them to propagate their own agenda.