Apple Reviews

Updated April 25, 2015
4674 reviews filtered by

"All fur coat and no knickers!"

Former Employee - AppleCare Partner Relations Advisor in Cork (Ireland)
    Former Employee - AppleCare Partner Relations Advisor in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- employee discount
    - health insurance
    - sports & social club

Cons

If you want to be treated like a prisoner or kindergarten child with timed toilet breaks (8 minutes a day) you are at the right place! Apple's "think different" is also wrong because if you do and say it out loud, you will be treated like an outsider. Specific conservative managers might also advise you that your dress code will never get you anywhere. Never saw such incompetent management (only achievable if you have good connections or apparently are a single mother) - if you hate your job, bad luck, you will have to stay 12 months no matter what.
    Also, if you come 1 minute too late in the morning (they allow you 5 min, but after that shame on you!), this will count as an 0.25 incident. You are allowed 3 every 6 months and being sick counts as one as well.
    So, whenever your car breaks down or you simply can't make it in time, nobody will ever forgive you.
    But this is all acceptable as you have so much mind freedom in your job. Yes, you can create your own emails (my manager seriously suggested this as solution for the lack of responsibility I was complaining about) - WOW!
    Two of my favourites were the pathetic call listenings or the iChats you would receive after not finishing your case within 3 minutes or when you are "unavailable" for longer than 10 min. You would get a nice "hey, are you ok" from Big Brother himself.

Advice to Management

Please hire people who are actually able to do their job and are not simply brainwashed to follow all their ridiculous policies. Managers should be there to help and support their employees and not to threaten them with further measures to make your life worse.

Don't Think Different. Don't Think At All.

Current Employee - Applecare Advisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Applecare Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the two positions I've held at Apple, I've been able to work from home for both. Not commuting is nice, but many times, this may not feel like a "pro." Employee discount is better than I expected. Ample vacation days (12 for entry level first-time job) and pretty lenient with sick leave. It's nice to not really have a script that I'm required to read from, since basically AppleCare, as well as my previous Online Store Chat position, closely resembled stereotypical call-center jobs.

Cons

As a home-based employee, of course my interactions with co-workers and supervisors were expected to be drastically different than they would be in a real office. But there's never an effort to balance this out. I can go weeks without a word of casual conversation being said in the team chatroom. I feel almost embarrassed that I'm holding a bachelor's degree from a top university, but I'm surrounded by dull people who do nothing all day but play video games and sleep. You cycle through managers and teams, shift schedules, even entire job roles wlly-nilly, without any input on your part.

There is really no interest in the satisfaction of the customer. It's all about the metrics. You can have stellar reviews from customers, and documented peer feedback from other departments bragging about you, but if you can't average out a 15 minute phone call time to fix the endless list possible issues that can go wrong with a computer, then you're in the hot seat. Don't "fix" your behaviors in 3, 6, then 7 months and you're probably going to be canned. So it's either be curt, and frankly rude, to a lot of the people that buy products from you, or fall down the totem pole in the staff rank and get stuck working a late night shift the next time shift bids come around, which will make good performance tougher, your personal life lonelier, all while any recommendation for a change in the operating procedures is balked at by management.

One is expected to clock-in and immediately start taking calls. 60 seconds is expected between hanging up one call, finishing the case notes, and taking your next call. Any time over 5 minutes will have you speaking with a supervisor. I once had my pay revoked for taking 20 minutes to check email and get situated before logging into the call queue. And even if you're not completely hoarse and exhausted from a nonstop cycle of calls, you will be pressured, and by that i mean threatened with zero consideration for future upward movement, if you do not partake in at least 6 hours per week of overtime during the busy season, which is about 5 months out of the year. I stopped caring when I realized I was spending my extra money from OT on prescription painkillers for my back from being chained to a desk every solitary second for 7.5 hours (that's a day minus 1 hour lunch and two 15 minute breaks). Also during this busy season, you will experience cancellation of team meetings, training seminars, or any other offline time that might have given you a moment of rest from the endless work or time to work on a side project that you could use to show your skills to other areas of the company.

Sum of the story: you are paid to do exactly one job and one job only and you're not allowed to do or think anything else besides that one job. It's a dead-end. I hear the salaried positions are pretty cool, but if you have to work like a dog at the entry level, I hate to think of how life-consuming a position with actual responsibility at this company must be.

Advice to Management

Hire more people; people should be allowed to take a breather from such a robotic job, but we can't because we're severely understaffed. Respect talented, intelligent employees with actual competence. Stop promoting based on whether you can reach an arbitrary metric. Being able to blast through a call and being callous with customers does not equal good management material. If I had known I would be forced into such a short-sighted job, where the there's no time to actually appreciate and consider that some individuals might just be really good at doing other jobs besides just this one thing, I would have gone to work for a bank or something.

Good company, great vision and crap leadership

Former Employee - Sales Person
    Former Employee - Sales Person

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- International
    - few benefits
    - great products

Cons

- too much politics
    - definitely not the best people (especially in Management) - the best ones are already gone
    - work atmosphere
    - company is interfering in your private life
    - brainwash,brainwash, brainwash
    - management will punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you
    - HR doesn't help at all

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees.

Specialist

Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Palm Desert, CA
    Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Palm Desert, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Directly helping others understand and use technology.
    Strong senses of community amongst peers.
    Beautiful environment to work in.
    Your problem solving skills will be improved dramatically.

Cons

1% chance of advancement.
    Poor training of the necessities execute the expected tasks.
    Store is constantly understaffed and the longer the customers wait the more likely it will be more taxing on you to deliver the appropriate experience. Over time this becomes a situation you can't win

Advice to Management

If you say you are going to do something, then do it.
    They say they celebrate diversity, but the truth is that they don't.
    What they do celebrate is a cleverly disguised language which allows them to propagate their own agenda.

6. Retail

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers, benefits, interesting customers, fun challenges

Cons

no work life balance, long hours, unpredictable hours and scheduling, short-staffed, low pay, low raises, concrete floors, questionable management, stress, violence

Advice to Management

Fully staff and improve working conditions, hours, and store management

Recruiting at Apple

Former Contractor - Sourcer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Contractor - Sourcer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Brand, great name recognition, easy to get people interested in Apple

Cons

From a recruiting standpoint, one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. No real process, no real ATS, sort of wild west. For a company of Apple's size and stature, their overall recruiting process is very poor. I would not recommend working at Apple. You also have no life, they expect the world, and although they pay well, you get calls on the weekends, and weeknights, and the managers are not very friendly.

Advice to Management

Please improve the overall tools and processes at Apple, very surprising how poor it is.

Applicant Interview -- non-Employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apple (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with a great product.

Cons

~Working with less-than-professional sales staff.
    ~Too much blue Kool-Aid too often.
    ~Loud work environment. Deafening music, loud employees, and alarms going off every 5 minutes.

Advice to Management

Find real leadership to head up your retail stores. Many of the "managers" are completely clueless when it comes to dealing with customer and employee issues.

QE Intern

Former Intern - Tools & Services Operations Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Intern - Tools & Services Operations Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Resume builder. Was my first exposure to the software development life-cycle.

Cons

Basically everything. Terrible experience. Lost management. Over-worked team.

It was stressful and frustrating. There is no standard of living with this job.

Current Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Apple part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworks, flexibility in swapping schedules, theres not much to be happy about at this time.

Cons

Management, management behavior, harassment, fake concern, pay is not high enough for the standard of living, health benefits are not as great as they can be especially for part timers, must have another job in order to make ends meet due to cutting hours at a whim.

Advice to Management

STOP MICROMANAGING. By lacking leadership qualities, and instilling rules and regulations that defy logic and basic scientific law, morale is driven to be absurdly low. This is due to the hierarchy that is established at the workplace where integrity and character are no longer requirements for being a respectable leader. In fact, fear and disingenuous concerns are the driving forces for most of the goals at the establishment. With negative reinforcement management tries to reach company goals, however due to the lack of logic in how certain ideas are being executed,the establishment is suffering from a decrease in the number of current employees. Retail is retail. There needs to be a sense of honor and dignity with the interactions within the hierarchy of management at the establishment. Also removing hours from the schedule at a whim is not fair to those who depend on this employment in order to pay bills. Management needs to be compassionate about the struggle.

Amazing co-workers, horrible managment

Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in White Plains, NY

I worked at Apple part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The co-workers you work with are the most talented and amazing people you will ever meet in your life. There are good benefit but they do depend on whether you work full time or part-time since you get better benefits when your full time. The pay is better than your average retail job.

Cons

The hours are terrible and all over the place. The full time opportunities are rare and when they come, the only go to the favorites of the managers. There is avid favouritism there, I was told that it didn't matter how hard you worked that you needed to suck up to the managers to get ahead. If your trying to make living, look elsewhere especially if your trying to built a career since they work you to the bone and they want to work you harder when your part time since they try to call you in for any hours that their favorites call out. If your new, be prepared to be stepped on, your basically the person that everyone will throw horrible customers and give you the grunt work until you pass your probationary period and not comsideree new anymore so your expected to throw someone else under the bus. They lie to you and tell you that you can built a career and they will help you to achieve your goals in the store, but whatever job you start with, you tend to be struck with since new job openings tend to go externally and internal promotions are hard to come by especially when your hardworking since it seems they rather have those people on a lease and call by basis. Be prepared to watch your punch in and punch out hours since you'll find people abusing the system a snack they get away with it, if they are friend with the manager. I think the experience at Apple differs with the manager that your struck with, while some managers will have your back and guide you to where you want to go in store, while others will treat you like garbage and give you excuses when you want to apply for other positions I store and if you need to transfer to be closer to home. Remember the customer is always right since they are the ones, that are put ahead of you, if you ever treated like crap by a customer, be prepared to get some lecture by manager regardless of the fact that the customer treated you like crap.

Advice to Management

There needs to be changes to the management to treat employees respect and stop playing favoritism.