Apple Reviews

3,720 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,007 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 208 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 194 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours (in 194 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors (in 133 reviews)

More Highlights

Operations program manager

Former Employee - Operations Program Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Program Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Have chance to manage operations from development builds to ramp to mass production for high volume cool new products. Challenging work but get a lot opportunities to gain experience in Operations management and Supply Chain management. Get chance to work with a group of smart people and learn from them.

Cons

Long working hour, demanding corporate culture, no work-life balance.
    Too much travel time, especially during new product ramp.

Adjust corporate culture to allow some level of work-life balance
    Provide more opportunities to employee to grow

Great Part-time job

Former Employee - Red Zone Specialist  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Red Zone Specialist in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Apple part-time for more than a year

Pros

I hold a job within another profession and got a job as a red zone specialist. The management team was understanding and work with me around scheduling hours. They is also a lot of opportunity to increase your knowledge and advice within the company.

Cons

The only negative were when store meetings would happen before your shift. It made for a long day.

Mind-expanding.

Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist
    Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist

I worked at Apple part-time for more than a year

Pros

I was a Specialist on the Sales Floor of a very busy and tiny Apple Store. Learning curve was tremendous and challenging and completely outrageously fun. I was being paid to know every wonderful thing about Apple products and services and to share my enthusiasm with interested consumers. Perks were few and far between but appreciated nonetheless. No promotion sought; was a part-timer. Compensation; pretty low.

Cons

Weekends and nights and holiday drudgery for Apple Retail. 12 hour shifts Black Friday. Corporate did not appreciate Retail Employees enough. Blanket emails sent to every employee giving the 'entire' company off except Retail was unappreciated.

I left because I had a very difficult time attending mandatory meetings on 7 weekends in three of the four quarters of the calendar year. (Who knows how many meetings were coming in the fourth quarter!) I would still be there today, learning and truly helping and guiding people with years of knowledge and advice about these unmatched computers, mobile devices, services and 3rd party products. The company management was inflexible. It was a difficult decision to leave.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the BEST places to work

Former Employee - AOS Blended Agent  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - AOS Blended Agent in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Metrics based and goal driven grading
    options to work from home
    good location
    cafeteria
    gym
    transportation or shuttles

Cons

can be long hours
    very stressful
    hard to get in or seen

make it easier for people to directly apply with Apple without all the entry level jobs being through a staffing company.

Great experience

Current Employee - Apple Solutions Consultant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Apple Solutions Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

benefits, training, people, promotions, stock

Cons

management, driving, location, no weekends, no holidays

no thanks.

Be yourself.

Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Apple part-time for less than a year

Pros

At Apple, there is a saying: "Its soul is its people." I'd agree. While at Apple I had the opportunity to work with some of the most creative, brilliant, and outgoing individuals that a retail environment can offer.

The really is a an Apple culture can be defined as individualistic. At Apple they want your own creativity, and individualism to be your strength. They capitalize on quirkiness, friendliness, and exuberance.

Cons

At the retail level the cons are the same as any other retail job. You have irregular scheduling throughout the week which puts a damper on creating any type of consistency. Be prepared to work holidays although Apple does do holiday pay which is great!

Great mission, but career development is difficult

Former Employee - Ios Software Engineer  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Ios Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Believe in the mission. Everyone is focused on delivering the best product to Apple's users.
    * Very collaborative
    * Great perks
    * Cafe Macs has amazing food
    * Every well financially compensated
    * Social responsible company

Cons

* Politics can get in the way of work progress
    * They haven't figured out how to do continuous integration at their scale. Lots of wasted time on non engineering configuration.
    * Living-on program is basically having everything you use: your phone, computer, apple TV, Xcode, etc. broken 70% of the time.
    * Engineering management is reactive. They under invest in testing, automation and continuous integration. As a result loads of productivity is wasted at the company and the organization constantly misses QA sign off on features.
    * Employee growth is not valued, only current contribution. Very difficult to change roles, work on something as a side project or have impact outside your immediate team. No ability to work on actual projects/apps outside of work due to contract.

Invest proactively in your software development process to increase productivity.
    Encourage employee growth, thats where innovation comes from.

The "Apple of Retail," but the "Retail of Apple."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working for a great company, with theoretical room for advancement. It is fun to always be on the cutting edge of technology.

Cons

At the end of the day, it is still retail. Although Apple stresses customer satisfaction, the real factor is the almighty dollar. Apple had a trend of hiring managers from outside the industry (i.e. from Starbucks) to manage people with technical training (Genii and Creatives). Skilled workers do not like taking marching orders from unskilled managers who could not do the jobs themselves.

Great experience in IS&T

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've seen some bad reviews on Glassdoor about working at IS&T at Apple, and I feel compelled to share my experience there because I think it was actually pretty great. Some aspects of corporate culture that I see shared by most (if not all) areas in apple:
       1) A standard of excellence, which can be extremely satisfying for perfectionists. At other companies that I have worked, there tends to be a mentality that as soon as something is 'good enough' it is pushed into QA or production. At Apple, things don't move forward until they are excellent.
       2) Passion for work. I've never been at a large company where employees are genuinely this passionate about their work. You won't encounter any of the apathy that you often find in large corporations.
       3) Cool problems. Numbers 1) and 2) are arguably made possible on a widespread level within the company because the problems that engineers are working to solve can be extremely interesting. Additionally, solutions almost always have a large footprint of impact due to the number of people who interact with Apple products on a day-to-day basis. You won't find yourself doing anything remedial.

So now the question becomes- how are things different in IS&T from other parts of the company? The answer is that it doesn't really. If anything, the impact of what you are working on is larger than in some other areas because a lot of what IS&T does is the foundation that makes consumer facing products possible to run on. There are entire companies out there that *only* make a one of the products that a given team in IS&T produces, and there is a good chance that IS&T is doing a better job of it. While all the teams in IS&T are different, I think that these general principles are true for all of them.

Cons

One of the things that I found challenging was the modularity of the teams. By that, I mean that the teams in IS&T don't interact much with other teams except for when they have to for business reasons. Socially speaking, I don't see a lot of full time employees eating lunch with people from other teams that often. Also, within my own team I never really felt like I had a strong social connection to the people I worked with- people were often just coming in and doing their own work without really interacting that much with other people in the cubes around them. This means that in order to make work friends you kind of have to go out of your way to initiate contact with other people, which can make the first couple months of work a little tougher. This was my experience and I have also heard it echoed by other people in IS&T.

Great team, learn as you go

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store)  in  San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

Pros

The managers are positive and always watching you to help if need be. The team I worked with were the hardest working group of people I have ever come across. Pretty much every one covers your back for help with something you don't know or if you get into a difficult situation with an irrate customer....and there are plenty of those.

Cons

The manangement is always watching you. You have 10 seconds to greet someone at the entry and if you aren't on it, they are on you. Everyone is being watched at all times and listens on to what you are saying. Learning on the floor is painful as you aren't given the time to learn and if it is slow and you work on any of the devices to pick up a tip, you are spoken to about it. The company says they use what's called 'fearless feedback' which is supposed to mean that you can talk to them about what's not working or whatever is on your mind (if you can get time with them), but what it really means is basically everyone spying on one another...not a supportive environment given how hard everyone works.

It's retail and everyone needs a minute to breathe, including the customers! Some of them are terrifeied to come into the store coz they know they will be bombarded immediately.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!