Apple

4,107 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,274 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

Finance analyst

I worked at Apple

Pros

Big name company with lots to learn and opportunities to climb up the career ladder. Lots of fun people to work with.

Cons

Little work life balance and busy all year round. Fast-paced and dynamic.

Great company to work for. There are many benefits as well as work environment was fun. Would recommend to other people.

Current Employee - Specialist in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Specialist in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Apple part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, great benefits and discounts, takes good care of employees, lots of opportunities for growth, company is moving towards achieving new innovative ideas.

Cons

Can be quite challenging at times when there are a lot of customers, leaders tend to micro-manage employees, must have a good amount of availability, expected to know a vast amount of information.

Consider listening to employees and their suggestions on how to improve the company.

A strong hive-mentality perpetuates throughout the company.

Former Employee - Patent Group in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Patent Group in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

A somewhat relaxed environment where you can dress casually and plenty of opportunities to move up or around in the company. Work hours are also flexible as long as you meet all of your deadlines.

Cons

You either fit in or you don't. Those that think differently or against the masses will be ostracized. Unless you're an engineer, you will be treated as a second-class employee and will be underpaid relative to other comparable companies in the area. This was during Steve Jobs' reign, so things may be different now with Tim Cook.

More flash than substance

I have been working at Apple

Pros

-They hire fantastic people. Your coworkers are the saving grace.
    -For retail, the pay is not terrible.
    -For part-time workers, benefits are astronomically better than most other retail companies
    -Good, albeit redundant, training program
    -Socially conscious, inclusive company
    -Good job at building a culture that is easy to be passionate about

Cons

-Lateral movement is simple, but vertical movement is impossible.
    -Retail hours means your work/life balance will be nonexistent
    -Difficult to request time off unless it is done months in advance
    -Pay has not increased with the rate of inflation
    -Micromanagement
    -Employee performance metrics system is atrocious
    -Pushes add-on sales under the guise of "Complete Solutions"

-For a company that grosses billions of dollars yearly, the fact that the wage scale does not keep up with the rate of inflation is completely unacceptable.
    -Consider changing the employee metrics system based around a few pieces of customer feedback...anyone with a background in doing research knows how ineffective this system is.
    -Figure out a better, more efficient way to allow for employees to take time off...particularly for weekends and holidays. They have lives, too.
    -Part-time employees should not be expected to hold availability times more appropriate for a full-time employee.
    -Pay for mobile technicians should be significantly higher.
    -Do not set the expectation that "numbers don't matter" when they very obviously do.
    -Allow for more autonomy from those who are actually talking to and interacting with the customers...they're the ones driving your business, even if you're the one who's getting to line your pockets.
    -If you're going to hire externally (particularly for management positions), the candidate should have a wide breadth of technical knowledge. I know that Apple is all about effective communication and relationship-building, but if a manager needs to ask an entry-level employee for help in activating a phone, that person should not be a manager.
    -Expecting passion about your company/work and expecting cult-like conformity from your employees are very different things. Toe the line carefully, because hiring smart people also means they see right through the "drinking of the kool-aid" principles that seem to permeate through the entire company.

Great customers and training, but most management is hired from the outside from companies like The Gap & Starbucks.

Former Employee - Trainer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trainer in New York, NY

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, on the job training, and terrific customers!

Cons

Micro-management is encouraged by Flag Leaders. Bathroom breaks are timed. There is almost no internal promotions beyond Creative or Genius or Expert.

Apple Business Manager

Former Employee - Business Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Apple

Pros

Good People excellent customer focus

Cons

Poor opportunity for upward mobility. Requirement to change personal views to conform to company culture. Politics are very high in determining your career path. Rewards are not based on merit but how much people like you and the way you treat others. Top producers are not recognized unless you are connected (liked) with the right people.

Reward people for their contributions.

Very fast paced alot of work

Current Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, discounted stocks, and even discounts on all hardware. Paid holidays and great health benefits.

Cons

Leadership team involves alot of power hungry individuals. Overly political and back stabbing people.

Reason with your employees the way you do with your own customers. Too much politics. Resentment occurs from employees who chose not to network with leadership.

A funny thing happened on my way to the Apple Store...

I worked at Apple

Pros

- clean, positive work environment
    - upward mobility
    - hot stock options
    - name brand

Cons

Apple has actually become their own commercial, from 1984: lines of brainwashed drones, chanting in unison, with a bald-headed overlord issuing instructions on a huge video screen.

I worked for Apple, then left to pursue another career. A couple years ago I ended up in a city where it was difficult to pursue my occupation so I went to the Apple Store to interview for a position as a "Genius." I was so shocked at what its become-- or how I've changed, I'm not sure which.

Its like everyone snorts Zoloft. I appreciate being positive, but this was positive taken to the nth degree, a scary, conforming kind of positive. It's like everyone was looking around to make sure they were smiling at least 10% more than the others: and their eyes spoke fear. I like Apple overall, but Steve was a tyrant and the company greenlit some absolute steamers, against the advice of people who knew what they were talking about. Rather than admit they screwed up, though, the company religion is that Apple can do no wrong and you (the consumer, or the doubter) are the problem. As in, it was "just too advanced for you", or "you just don't get it."

I agree with another reviewer on the willing isolation and ignorance. Apple's OS X really was a thing of beauty when it was first rolled out… more than a decade ago. A decade. TEN YEARS. Ever since, we've been hopping along on forced upgrades that look more and more candy while sucking up more and more memory. Meanwhile, the Calendar app blows, iTunes blows, and Apple's push to exclude Microsoft Office from its mobile suite (in favor of everybody's favorite, "Pages") just annoys everybody who has to do something serious. Where's the innovation that changes someone's life?

Gone, because now Apple's cool. It's the popular kid, wearing the polos and the cardigans. And I'm the surly maverick with big dreams, looking for a company like me.

Spin off smaller companies to breathe innovation back into your empire.

Business Specialist

Current Employee - Business Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

get environment and workers. You get to work with alot of young people. Caps out and no growth.

Cons

low salary, low benfits and comp days off. this would be a better part time job.

Company could work on getting employees more leeway on vacation and time off.

Fun

Former Employee - IOS Tier I in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - IOS Tier I in Orlando, FL

I worked at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working from home and the benefits were amazing! Training was informative!

Cons

Working from home can be very boring. If you are not good at your job you will be hounded by management. Luckily I did not have that issue! Not easy to move up or around. Pay was not fantastic. And you were expected to go full time around holidays or product launches. Did not matter if you could not.