Apple Reviews in San Francisco, CA

3,695 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
1,965 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 208 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 194 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance and handling any customer issues as well as the long hours (in 194 reviews)

• could be physically tiring due to the long hours of walking and standing on concrete floors (in 133 reviews)

More Highlights

84 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A must at some point in your life

Current Employee - Apple Expert  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Apple Expert in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is the type of place that after you leave even though i was able to substantially change my way of living I will always regard the times I worked at apple to be some of my favorites. The pay was great for retail and the environment was amazing. Great people to work with. Great benefits. Getting an interview after leaving is extremely easy just doing well and working hard at apple as an expert opened up huge doors.

Cons

you reach a ceiling where you can't grow anymore and can't make anymore money. There is no commission so selling millions is great but didn't get me much more than those selling thousands. Management is becoming more and more rigid.

Stick to your original morals. Remember that a happy employee is a happy customer. let loose. have fun.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apple for more than 3 years

Pros

Great atmosphere and great people.

Cons

work-life balance can be difficult.

more interaction with staff needed.

Fun company to work for, but customers expect a lot more

Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Apple part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you work with is by far the best part of the job. I've made a handful of life-long friends from my year and a half of working here. Also, working with Apple products all day is pretty sweet

Cons

The customers expect a lot more (not to mention the impossible) from us. Sometimes we can't deliver on requests, and end up getting verbally assaulted. It comes with retail I suppose.

It may be a part of the Apple culture, but to the management: not all of us want to drink the Apple Kool Aid. Everything that comes from their mouths is sugar-coated, and makes it somewhat awkward to have a 'normal' conversation without feeling like your manager doesn't give a crap.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Benefits, but Draining Retail Environment

Former Employee - Specialist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome benefits, even as part-time: discounts, great health insurance, matching 401k, discounted stock plan.
    Learn a lot about the products while meeting some very interesting people.
    Great for networking, especially in the Tech Industry.
    Looks impressive on a resume, nearby start-ups and tech companies value Apple's reputation.

Cons

Retail environment: lots of micromanaging, cult-ish feel where things are constantly hammered by several different managers, night/weekend schedules with no holidays off, sticklers on clocking in and out (if you get 3 warnings you're fired no-matter-what).
    Difficult to be promoted, lots of competition.
    Terrible pay but good for retail.

A great company to work for

Former Employee - Specialist  in  Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Apple part-time for more than a year

Pros

they hire the best people which add to a dynamic atmosphere

Cons

the politics of upper management

don't get cocky

Red Zone Specialist

Current Employee - Red Zone Specialist  in  Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Red Zone Specialist in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time for less than a year

Pros

great social environment, young friendly employees who have remained friends

Cons

no growth in the company, condescending managers who wanted to plan our career paths without actually letting us input our ideal career paths

little room to advance but lots of room to learn

Former Employee - Business Specialist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The best personality match for a career in Apple Retail is the humble techno-monk whose only ambition is to serve people and fellow workers. The ongoing training and integration professional improvement means that you can fill your brain, actually increase your skills and you will truly, madly, deeply learn your job. Most of the financial benefit comes from the halo effect when you leave. Before Obamacare, the benefits were amazing. Everyone is as smart as you, as nice as you, as humble as you and as talented. That's good for collaboration and can be bad if you are used to being a star, a keener, the key team member. However, if you have glacial patience and are financial sustainable at the level of your offer (as well as amazingly humble, able and talented), you can ascend.

Cons

You have to be able to afford to work for years at whatever wage or salary they first bequeath and, if you are a manager-type, it will be a non-negotiable fraction of what you used to make and at least one demotion. If you do get one of the rare promotions, it will be because you have become (frustratingly) completely competent at the new job first and then waited for an eon for no apparent reason for the actual job title and tiny raise. If you have any sense of being a star or being entitled to advancement as a result of hard work, run Forest run. You will get discouraged and accept an outside offer before you get a promotion.

A store used to be a pirate ship and now it's a priesthood. Embrace that and look for monks. For retention, select for people who can afford to work for what you are paying and select for humility and a desire to serve. There is literally no physical room for identity let alone ego in your tiny, sterile interior spaces. Stop hiring talent. Hire patience and non-reactivity in noisy close quarters. Hire for people who comply enthusiastically with partly understood direction (improvisers). Privilege ambition to learn over a history of meteoric rises through the ranks. Listen for people who love to over-prepare (which sounds like a lack of confidence but will get you people with the stamina to endure your glacial hiring and promotion pace and processes).

Just another retailer..that shoves its hype down your throat from day one

Former Employee - Redzone Specialist  in  Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Redzone Specialist in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Apple part-time for less than a year

Pros

I learned a lot about crisis management: What to do when ALL managers were absent, how to handle the terrible relationships with pathetic customers who only valued material goods, how to advocate (unsuccessfully) for my advancement in the store and, most importantly, how to force a smile when every day felt a little bit more soul-sucking.

Cons

Read above. Seriously. This place is not an easy place to work at. It was my first retail job out of college and the job that showed me that I really wanted to become a teacher and help educate people, instead of act like a cleaner, more youthful equivalent of a sketchy car salesman selling overpriced and over-hyped tech goods. What I liked about working at the Apple store most, instead of selling useless goods to people, was teaching them how to use the technology. It's good tech, just too expensive and snobbish for the plebeians (like me!) to be marketed towards.

Elevate the smartest people in the store, the hardest working and the least committed to petty retail gamesmanship to better positions on the floor. If people WANT, really want, to educate others at the FRS booths, let them. OH WAIT! I forgot, us FRS (Family Room Specialists) don't make any money for the company, at least not in a straight transaction sort of way. What a joke. Talk about devaluing a core tenant of the Apple stores, the education....

Apple Retail is not what is once was

Former Employee - Mac Genius  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Mac Genius in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are working for one of the most sought after brands in the world and develop great customer service skills. Great benefits, 401k and stock plan

Cons

Not much growth for Genius's at the retail level. Once you reach this point unless management is where you want to go then you have no future with Apple. Moving from retail to corporate is not something that happens just from putting in time at the retail level and in most cases you will need to leave and then re apply to get the experience that is wanted at the corporate level.

Managers have decided that retail employees are basically a revolving door and do not fight to keep good talent and because of this they are losing more and more of their good talent and getting stuck with the left overs. Most managers seemed to not care and I personally never wanted to share my real opinion in fear that it would lead to me being roadblocked more than I already was. I had seen this happen several times. If management wants you out or has decided that you have outgrown apple they do everything in their power to make sure that you move on instead of helping and finding a new position within the company. Apple needs to re evaluate retail and figure out how to keep good talent.

Specialist

Former Employee - Specialist  in  Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Apple part-time for less than a year

Pros

They are positive people and believe in treating everyone with respect including their customers. their approach to customer service is great and you rarely be in a position were you are the bad guy. The knowledge and benefits for just part-time employees are great and is the ultimate job to have during college. very easy to change hours and swap shifts.

Cons

Training for new software and devices are always on the go and really never get an understanding of the updates and software changes.

During busy times management seem to go crazy and lose the positive up beat vibe. I think during these times specialist's and others need them to stay calm. I think sometime there in such a rush to serve the customer they forget about the people that actually deals with them and provides them with the service.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!