Apple

3,508 Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
3,508 Ratings

Pros
  • Apple retail had great benefits for their employees from perks to policy (in 246 reviews)

• Great staff, excellent work environment nothing beats apple when it comes to computers (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Time off needs to be requested well in advance making work/life balance a challenge (in 252 reviews)

• Work can be very demanding with long hours depending on the group you are in (in 151 reviews)

More Highlights

3,508 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Challenging, Rewarding, but ZERO work/life balance. Most satisfying , most difficult and most rewarding job ever.

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We work with geniuses - in every department, We create innovative products that thrill our customers and create new product categories - who else can say that?

Cons

ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance. Execs have been saying for YEARS that they understand and will make it better. But in actuality, it gets worse every year! It is obviously top management LIP SERVICE because if they meant it, they could fix it tomorrow. They have hundreds of BILLIONS in the bank. If they REALLY cared about employee work/life balance, they could bring aboard the right number of folks to make that issue dissolve. Sick of hearing the lies. Just don't lie about wanting to fix it, when they clearly DON'T care

Company genuinely cares about you!

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT

I worked at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - great work environment
    - great salary (especially for retail)
    - lots of peer support
    - lots of management support
    - lots of learning experiences and resources
    - opportunity for advancement
    - opportunities for "career experiences" in corporate roles, for retail staff (underutilized, apparently. go for it!)
    - you become really good friends with your peer group, or maybe even family!
    - Amazing sense of belonging and community
    - great stepping stone to new career, if that is your choice

Cons

- Too much "drinking the kool aid". WAY too much. I hope this is an apt metaphor: Imagine you have an 8oz cup in your hand. They pour a 64oz pitcher of Kool-Aid into your 8oz. cup. Then they pour a pitcher of sugar into the same cup. You get diabetes. The amount of company propaganda is absolutely astounding and excessive to point of being absolutely ridiculous, wherein you feel like a caricature of yourself wearing this blue shirt. This is coming from me, a lifelong Apple fan since 1987 (the year I started using computers).
    - FAR too much bashing of anything that isn't Apple. Apple has now decided as a company, to compare itself to Samsung and Google, etc etc. It used to decide not to compare itself to anybody. This shows everywhere from development to retail attitudes.
    - Willing isolation from and ignorance of the rest of the world of technology. Apple exists in a bubble, and those within the bubble are blissfully unaware that any other technology is relevant and useful. I heard one employee say that Microsoft Office is going the way of the dinosaurs. Nobody called him out on this. What dream world is he living in???? Isn't it better to learn Apple's technology in a way that helps it workably coexist with other technology? This is equally as important as learning the Apple ecosystem, which, yes, in itself is amazing.
    - Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis.
    - No ongoing training program to keep your technical skills sharp and up to date. Instead, they offer "Pathways", which is meant to improve your social skills. Great! But isn't that why they hired us to begin with? You have to search Apple's technical reporting system for relevant known issues, which is fine but if you don't (and a lot of techs don't) you usually find out what those are when a customer has a problem and you don't know the answer. One person who happened to look at iDesk might know the answer, but if they're not available, you may end up giving the customer the wrong solution. The signal to noise ratio of important, specific information is a total mess.
    - "I can't believe they re-arranged the lockers. I'm thinking about quitting now." Everyone joins in agreement. Really, guys? C'mon. Again, as I mentioned in my point about the Apple "bubble", the perception of reality can be largely distorted. Management has to work REALLY REALLY hard to bend over backwards for every little thing. So how much energy do they have left over to make sure their techs are up to date, or that sales staff knows their specs and has good ways of explaining tech to non-tech people? Apple is very big on managing expectations for customers (great, actually!) but could do a lot better to manage expectations for employees. Maybe this would improve management's time and ability to fix some more important issues.
    - Far too many points of contact for customers. A customer may end up talking to between 4 and 8 different people who may end up telling them lots of conflicting things. Either communication needs to improve in the store or the number of contact points needs to decrease somehow.

My feedback section was long, I realize, but it's because I genuinely care about Apple as a company and would love to see things improve in real, tangible ways where the signal to noise ratio is considered for retail as much as it is considered for its products and services!

Consider and analyze the cons I wrote above and communicate them with your market leaders! How successful IS Pathways, really, for example? Everything has to be given a chance to work, of course, but I think maybe corporate doesn't get enough constructive feedback from its retail stores for fear of being perceived as not having put enough effort into making these things work.

Regardless, I loved working for Apple and would absolutely return given the need and/or opportunity.

Genius Administrator

Former Employee - Genius Administrator in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Genius Administrator in Columbus, OH

I worked at Apple

Pros

Awesome schedule, laid back work environment, good work flow (not too busy and not too slow), great room for growth and learning

Cons

Slow points in the retail season, too much growth and not enough workers at points

Awesome job. Would have stayed here had it paid a little more and been in-line with my schooling.

Apple provides a great work-life balance.

Current Employee - Specialist in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great training programs.

Cons

Apple retail is very flat and it is very difficult to work up to anything.

Apple really takes care of it's employees.

Current Employee - Family Room Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Family Room Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Full time and part time tuition assistance, vacation time and health care. Discounts! Pay is really good for a retailer. Apple employees are some of the best co-workers I've worked with. There are also plenty of opportunities to move up in the company.

Cons

Part time is great during holidays, but after the holidays, the hours can sometimes range from 12-16/wk

More hours for part time employees

Super great

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple

Pros

Sandwiches, yoohoo, copy machines, praise, and onsite chapel.

Cons

Sulphur smell, proximity to Alcatraz, only velcro shoes allowed.

Change up the keynote it's as predicable as the next season of American Idol.

If you like making your own opportunities, this is the place...

Current Employee - Senior Systems Architect in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Architect in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Apple has a very solid culture of respecting employees and offering challenging work that will change the world.

The important thing to know is that you should be ready to make opportunities for yourself and not sit around waiting for someone else to hand you a dream assignment. You need to network with other teams and be aware of what's coming. With that information, get yourself in front of the hiring manager and let them know you're interested.

This is how you have a great experience at Apple. Take charge of your future.

Cons

Not so much a con as advice that applies anywhere. Apple has a range of managers with varying levels of skill at managing.

Ask good questions of any prospective manager to find out how they manage in certain situations. How do they recognize above and beyond contributions from their directs? How do they manage conflicts inside the group and between groups? What professional development programs do they have in place for their directs? There are many other questions and I encourage you to search online for some more.

Your manager is the single largest influence on whether you enjoy your job. Take the time to get to know her/him in the interview process.

Great experience, but extremely tough to get promoted.

Current Employee - Red Zone Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Red Zone Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot and work with great people.

Cons

It's REAL tough to move up in the company from within.

Make clear guidelines for promotion.

Great culture, awesome benefits, but low pay and growth

Current Employee - Family Room Specialist
    Current Employee - Family Room Specialist

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, awesome benefits, opportunities to travel and meet amazing people are frequent

Cons

Pay is not very high for the demands made on employees, growth is difficult and most people never make it past retail

Apple was a highlight in my life, and a great stepping stone.

Former Employee - Specialist in Manhasset, NY
    Former Employee - Specialist in Manhasset, NY

I worked at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- No micromanaging
    - Perks galore; everything from products & services to commuter benefits
    - Great insurance

Cons

- Lack of work-life balance
    - Undercut your hours without prior notice
    - Political hierarchy

- Talk to your workforce
    - Allow individuals the opportunity to grow
    - Cut the nepotism