Apple Reviews

Apple CEO Tim Cook
Tim Cook
2,116 Ratings

3,705 Employee Reviews

Challenging, Rewarding, but ZERO work/life balance. Most satisfying , most difficult and most rewarding job ever.

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We work with geniuses - in every department, We create innovative products that thrill our customers and create new product categories - who else can say that?

Cons

ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance. Execs have been saying for YEARS that they understand and will make it better. But in actuality, it gets worse every year! It is obviously top management LIP SERVICE because if they meant it, they could fix it tomorrow. They have hundreds of BILLIONS in the bank. If they REALLY cared about employee work/life balance, they could bring aboard the right number of folks to make that issue dissolve. Sick of hearing the lies. Just don't lie about wanting to fix it, when they clearly DON'T care

Company genuinely cares about you!

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Stamford, CT

I worked at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - great work environment
    - great salary (especially for retail)
    - lots of peer support
    - lots of management support
    - lots of learning experiences and resources
    - opportunity for advancement
    - opportunities for "career experiences" in corporate roles, for retail staff (underutilized, apparently. go for it!)
    - you become really good friends with your peer group, or maybe even family!
    - Amazing sense of belonging and community
    - great stepping stone to new career, if that is your choice

Cons

- Too much "drinking the kool aid". WAY too much. I hope this is an apt metaphor: Imagine you have an 8oz cup in your hand. They pour a 64oz pitcher of Kool-Aid into your 8oz. cup. Then they pour a pitcher of sugar into the same cup. You get diabetes. The amount of company propaganda is absolutely astounding and excessive to point of being absolutely ridiculous, wherein you feel like a caricature of yourself wearing this blue shirt. This is coming from me, a lifelong Apple fan since 1987 (the year I started using computers).
    - FAR too much bashing of anything that isn't Apple. Apple has now decided as a company, to compare itself to Samsung and Google, etc etc. It used to decide not to compare itself to anybody. This shows everywhere from development to retail attitudes.
    - Willing isolation from and ignorance of the rest of the world of technology. Apple exists in a bubble, and those within the bubble are blissfully unaware that any other technology is relevant and useful. I heard one employee say that Microsoft Office is going the way of the dinosaurs. Nobody called him out on this. What dream world is he living in???? Isn't it better to learn Apple's technology in a way that helps it workably coexist with other technology? This is equally as important as learning the Apple ecosystem, which, yes, in itself is amazing.
    - Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis.
    - No ongoing training program to keep your technical skills sharp and up to date. Instead, they offer "Pathways", which is meant to improve your social skills. Great! But isn't that why they hired us to begin with? You have to search Apple's technical reporting system for relevant known issues, which is fine but if you don't (and a lot of techs don't) you usually find out what those are when a customer has a problem and you don't know the answer. One person who happened to look at iDesk might know the answer, but if they're not available, you may end up giving the customer the wrong solution. The signal to noise ratio of important, specific information is a total mess.
    - "I can't believe they re-arranged the lockers. I'm thinking about quitting now." Everyone joins in agreement. Really, guys? C'mon. Again, as I mentioned in my point about the Apple "bubble", the perception of reality can be largely distorted. Management has to work REALLY REALLY hard to bend over backwards for every little thing. So how much energy do they have left over to make sure their techs are up to date, or that sales staff knows their specs and has good ways of explaining tech to non-tech people? Apple is very big on managing expectations for customers (great, actually!) but could do a lot better to manage expectations for employees. Maybe this would improve management's time and ability to fix some more important issues.
    - Far too many points of contact for customers. A customer may end up talking to between 4 and 8 different people who may end up telling them lots of conflicting things. Either communication needs to improve in the store or the number of contact points needs to decrease somehow.

Advice to Management

My feedback section was long, I realize, but it's because I genuinely care about Apple as a company and would love to see things improve in real, tangible ways where the signal to noise ratio is considered for retail as much as it is considered for its products and services!

Consider and analyze the cons I wrote above and communicate them with your market leaders! How successful IS Pathways, really, for example? Everything has to be given a chance to work, of course, but I think maybe corporate doesn't get enough constructive feedback from its retail stores for fear of being perceived as not having put enough effort into making these things work.

Regardless, I loved working for Apple and would absolutely return given the need and/or opportunity.

Loved It

I worked at Apple

Pros

Discount$ were great
    Opportunities were abundant
    Coworkers were hott
    Broworkers were awesome
    Technology was cool

Cons

Hours bad
    Drama abundant
    No sex with coworkers
    Manager was gay and tried to seduce me
    Etc.

Advice to Management

Stop sexual harassment

At-Home Technical Support for iOS Devices

Current Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Apple Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Apple Valley, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at home, great pay and benefits, insane tech discounts and great people to work with.

Cons

Customers with entitlement issues, chat is open 24/7 with no holidays off (but you get very nice holiday pay).

Advice to Management

Chat needs WAY more advisors than are employed currently

Rewarding

Current Employee - At-Home Advisor in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - At-Home Advisor in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Apple

Pros

-Good environment
    -Good pay
    -Good internal resources
    -Good hours
    -No commute (At-Home Advisor)

Cons

-Metrics are outrageously important
    -Customer feedback surveys are outrageously important

Advice to Management

Finding an appropriate balance with metrics is hard. I know Apple does a lot of changes and does their best. It's a work in progress, and I get that.

Excellent experience, poorly managed

Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- work on the best products in the world with the autonomy to "do what is right" versus "do what is cheap" -- excellent training for an early-career engineer
    - lots of support for learning and investigation, a culture of innovation and invention
    - surrounded by smart and passionate people

Cons

- tons of politics between teams
    - people are treated like resources here, don't expect anyone to care about your work-life balance -- but you have to be willing to sacrifice to do well here
    - culture varies drastically from group to group, some groups are great and some have a toxic culture
    - it seems to get ahead here you have to both be a rockstar *and* willing to step on people to get to the top -- which results in the top management spots being held by people with questionable moral standing

Advice to Management

Upper management at Apple is entrenched with "old white guys". There is little diversity in leadership, and few successful role models for people who aren't "old white guys".

Great people, great company

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Awesome co workers, cutting edge technology, relaxed work environment, feel like you are actually appreciated.

Cons

While there are long hours, and you have difficult customers as you do with any job, it it still bearable to get through.

Back-Of-House (BOH) Specialist

I have been working at Apple part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, flexible hours, opportunities to move upwards

Cons

Retail environment, retail hours, must work at least two weekend days per week

10. Apple Solutions Consultant

Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Apple full-time

Pros

Good pay, amazing benefits, fun environtment, awesone discount, stock option, and my coworkers were and still are my family.

Cons

Not any room to grow where I was located. If you're willing to go to California the door is open for growth. Anywhere else in the country and you're going to be stuck in a retail store which I didn't want to do or be stuck workING the same job forever.

Advice to Management

Don't keep the same people in a position when it's obvious they are not only not performing but are not even showing up for the job.

Great benefits, exhausting work and attendance standards

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great healthcare options, competitive salary, great CS training

Cons

Strict high school-like attendance system, difficult to progress in company, will suck the soul out of you if you stay too long

Advice to Management

Not everyone's trying to game the system, treat people like adults