AppleOne

AppleOne Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Apr 9, 2014

AppleOne CEO Janice Bryant Howroyd

Janice Bryant Howroyd

Pros
  • It's a very fun, fast-paced environment, where every day is different(in 5 reviews)

• Great place to come to in the event that you are in between work(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • they will not tell you if a temp-to-hire position will become permanent or if you are about to get laid off(in 5 reviews)

• Low base salary, even if you are hired as a recruiter you are forced into sales at one time or another(in 5 reviews)

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Account executive

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat place to work. Very good training and safe friendly work environment.

ConsTurnover is to high.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen door policies.

AppleOne Marketing Manager responded to this review

May 5, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Glassdoor.com for AppleOne. We appreciate the feedback and I will forward your review to our management team.

Good company to start your HR career

Staffing Consultant (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsTeam oriented, clear goals for promotions and complete transparency within each branch.

ConsHigh stress level and hard work life balance.

Do you work well under pressure?

Staffing Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFriendly employees, fun to meet new people

Conspyramid-like structure, the most micromanaging ever in my life

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people do their jobs in peace

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Total Waste of My Time

Registered Applicant (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

Pros-None to speak of at this time.

Cons-Unprofessional
    -Poor Customer Service
    -No follow-up
    -No follow through

Advice to Senior ManagementI registered with AppleOne and dealt with Nicole briefly before she resigned, then was transitioned to Normal who never reached out or responded to my email. Driving out to Pleasanton and taking the time to test and meet with someone was an extreme waste of my time. I wasn't even offered a cup of water while being there for over an hour.

Advice to management is to hire real talent or experience recruiters who will take their jobs seriously and truly advocate for registered members. We take the time to sign up because we truly need a job!!

Decent entry-level recruiting job

Staffing Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThey hire with more weight on personality than experience, at least for some people, which makes for a decent company culture. My branch was truly wonderful and I met some great people who I am still friends with today, yet this varies across branches. Every month or so you go to training classes, which are helpful. I thought that for me, AppleOne was great because I don't have much experience and I made more money than I have ever made before. But if you actually are good at what you do and have a degree, it isn't really worth it because one can make more somewhere else and actually be able to have a good work/life balance and support your family. One can make pretty good money by increasing their placements, just as with any recruiting/sales job, but it's better at other companies.
    If you make tons of money you get to spend 3 days or something in a nice area like Puerto Vallarta or Cancun on an all expenses paid trip.
    I left in less than a year because a better opportunity came up.

ConsThey don't pay talented people in their company enough and treat managers poorly. The commission structure & benefits package seems to be better at other similar agencies. It seems to be a case across AppleOne that even some of the top performers who make tons of money for the company struggle to support a family with what they make because so much is taken out of the pay check. I didn't work long enough to become a "top performer" and identify the root cause, but I feel that it's either the business model or the commission structure.
    It seems the CEO & President are so absorbed with making money for themselves that they don't want to pay a thing for their employees such as competitive salary or a reasonable amount of paid vacation days.
    Some branches are great (personality/culture wise), like mine, but others are rude, gossipy, build silos, and are generally unhelpful. But I feel like this is normal in big companies. Some of the branches in my region were awesome (like my own), but others seemed downright unethical to candidates. I understand a recruiter can't place every person that walks into AppleOne in their dream job, or any job for that matter (in a good office, it's actually around 20%, and that is an optimistic ratio). However, do your best to help people and provide some form of result. I guess since I'm newer to the industry I am not sure how other agencies get their leads, but sometimes using candidates for their connections to gather sales leads and improve your metrics seemed unethical, especially in cases where I was pretty sure I didn't have a job for that candidate.
    Branch offices are generally dumpy.
    It's a sales job, but the goals you are supposed to meet are set too far for even the best people in the company to meet. Recruiters spend way too much time doing ambiguous admin work that is piled on their desk, so even less time is allowed for actual recruiting/sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is not to Branch Managers, but to management at the corporate level. Treat your managers and employees better. Don't be afraid to spend at least a bit of money to show appreciation for hard work and achievement. Your business model is outdated. You need to technologically overhaul the business, from the recruiting software to the website to the computers/etc. in the branches. Everything is old and prone to breaking down. The company should just switch to Taleo or another recruiting software altogether, because the proprietary system is old, unwieldy, and not aesthetically pleasing. Furthermore, it is highly frustrating to have to wait hours for tech support (which seems to be a little incompetent sometimes) to respond to your inquiry when you could have figured it out on your own by googling the problem if it was a more common software. Instead of blocking access to facebook and other social media sites, allow recruiters to use those sites to power their recruiting even further and reach more candidates/clients.

This is truly a sales dominated position

Staffing Consultant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFun working environment (if you have a good team), potential to make a good amount of commision

ConsLow base salary, even if you are hired as a recruiter you are forced into sales at one time or another.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is supposed to be a 2 fold company, recruiting and sales. Why make a recruiter do sales and vice versa, play to your employee's strengths.

Provide good learning environment

Area Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosbonus structure
    incentive programs
    room for growth
    training

Conscompetative compensation
    upper managment lack of taking action

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be more hands on when needed.

Dangle the carrot

Contractor (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsSOMETIMES they can find you work quickly

ConsMOST of the time they don't follow through on what they say. They just fill their needs and you have to take it or leave it, while they preach it's about you and your professional development.

Advice to Senior ManagementFOLLOW through

Worked for AppleOne? Contribute to the Community!