Applebee's

Applebee's Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Updated May 27, 2014

Applebee's Chairman & CEO Julia Stewart

Julia Stewart

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, can usually work or get off by communicating with co-workers of the same position(in 37 reviews)

• You get to meet new people each day and best of all you will be come nicer from having this job(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, quality of life depends on franchise owners(in 35 reviews)

• Needs to work on upper management communication skills along with proper work ethics(in 14 reviews)

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Server

Server (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGenerally very busy, stays fresh and new (menu updates, remodels, specials), will work with my schedule

ConsThe extreme fast past and busyness can be a lot to handle day in and day out. With high volume, quality can be lost at times: Ticket times, food quality, opportunity to interact with guests

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not make extreme cuts to the floor in the name of numbers. Maintain consistency in upholding standards

It was eye opening to say the least...

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsAwesome people to work and to hang out with. They usually have good connections!! my time working there was uplifting and sort of trippy sometimes but it was really fun.

Consweird crowd sometimes. but good experience overall

Advice to Senior Managementi liked management for the most part. had good relationships with some of the management team and felt it was easy to move up the ranks there

Good place to work.

Server (Former Employee) Blaine, MN

ProsIt was a fun high energy place to work. They trained the employees very well. Gave you the right equipment to get your job done. They appreciate their employees.

ConsThey expected you to do too much selling at every table. I liked selling the menu but it was too much asking every table to donate to charity. Especially when they were regular customers who came in 3 times a week. It got to be embarrassing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be all about making the bottom line when it takes your attention away from the customer. Service goes down hill.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Food Server (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Prossupportive work environment, flexible schedule

Conslong hours, need to be on your feet all day

Advice to Senior Managementhire higher quality employees, promote faster

Individual Stores Can Be Great, But Too Much Bureauocracy

Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsI developed a lot of great relationships during my tenure as a manager there, both professionally and personally. I worked at several locations and had experiences ranging from okay to truly fantastic, depending on the staffs, but overall I thought the teams were made up of some truly good people. Upper management in the Minnesota region was fantastic while I was there, although it may have changed since.

ConsThe organization is too big for its own good. A simple marketing or training question becomes days worth of emails and voicemails, trying to track down the person at the corporate office who can answer your question and fill you in on the protocol. It can be easy to get so wrapped up in the 'busy work' (audits and inspections, a ridiculously long review process for hourly associates, a burdensome self-evaluation, etc.) that you forget the job should truly be about food and guest service.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the basics. Remember what's important, get the right people in the right places, and sales should follow.

It has been a good experience

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Burnsville, MN

ProsGreat pay and benefits, plus vacation

ConsLate hours 50+ hours a week

Advice to Senior ManagementBack up managers more when unruly employees exist.

good money

Food Server (Current Employee) Woodbury, MN

Prosgood money serving, flexible hours, time off easy to get

Consweekends, long hours, customers, service job

Advice to Senior Managementstrict

good starting place

Cook (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Prosget to understand industry and a proper place to learn the skills to run your own company if you decide to

Consa bit competitive and need to be a sycophant in order to get ahead or just anything to go your way.

Advice to Senior Managementperformance review and peer review must be utilized

Good Money, Poor Quality of Life

Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsAble to work harder for more money (profit sharing), able to meet new people easily and interact with different cultures regularly

ConsWorking 55+ hours week, salaried, with sometimes little to no sleep between 10+ hour shifts. Poor clientele can be difficult to deal with daily...

Advice to Senior ManagementGive 3 days off one week, 2 days off the next to help relieve the poor quality of life for managers.

A long road of ups and downs

Server At Applebees (Current Employee) Coon Rapids, MN

ProsIt works well if you are a college student. Flexible schedule. If you are a hard worker, they will give you the good shifts.

ConsThey have shifted over the last 10 years to caring a lot less about their employees. Used to give out employee recognition for certain years of service. Used to have a rewards catalogue that you could pick prizes from. Now they don't care about the employees. Morale has gone down the toilet. They got rid of the night cleaners and are now making the staff stay late to do it. Vacuuming, mopping, cleaning the windows.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as if they were a 'second customer'. Applebee's used to be a restaurant that people wanted to work for.

Worked for Applebee's? Contribute to the Community!