Applebee's Reviews

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014

Applebee's Chairman & CEO Julia Stewart
Julia Stewart

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, can usually work or get off by communicating with co-workers of the same position (in 43 reviews)

• good money opportunity for short amount of hours (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours are a must and if you have a family don't plan on spending any time with them (in 37 reviews)

• Upper management is aware of the problem, but refuses to acknowledge the danger (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Applebee's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers and free food. Easy work. Learn customer service.

Cons

Rude customers. Low pay. Day goes by slow when there aren't many customers.

Fun job with the potential to earn good money.

Current Employee - Carside to Go  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Carside to Go in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Applebee's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay for a college student, $8 and hour plus about $7 to $8 an hour in tips. This is a good job for someone who is going to college, or just some extra spending cash, wouldn't be a good career though. Fun work environment, always something interesting going on. Most co-workers are nice and depending on how often you work it really feels like a little family. Flexible hours. SOME room for advancement depending on what position you start out at. Management is very relaxed as long as you do what you are supposed to.

Cons

Can be very long hours, without ANY breaks at all. You never know what time you are going to get off, you may be scheduled to leave at 8 o'clock and end up being there until 11 or 12. Tips can be unreliable, ranging from $2 a day to $140 in my case. No benefits. Food discounts are very stingy (only 25% off). I personally don't mind, but if you are sensitive the kitchen is a place for all kinds of crude jokes and sexual harassment at times. The people you work with can be very unreliable and you end up getting punished for their mistakes, if someone doesn't show up for their shift while you're working, you will have to stay to cover their shift.

Give people breaks, working on your feet for 9+ hours is exhausting and results in poor customer service. Improve the food discount, hungry workers are not good workers. Provide some way we can communicate with district managers.

Worked for a well-ran store

I worked at Applebee's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Had a great crew when I worked there. Everyone there ended up working together for almost a year. Back of House and Front of House got along well, and the management staff was able to switch between front and back of house which developed chemistry.

Cons

Typical negatives in restaurant life: Difficult hours at times, stressful during peak business hours, favoritism showed occasionally. Mostly positive experience.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Applebee's has allowed me to work a flexible schedule

Current Employee - Server At Applebees
    Current Employee - Server At Applebees

I have been working at Applebee's part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been at Applebee's long enough that I basically feel as if I work with my second family. My managers have always been very flexible with my schedule, which has allowed me to go to school and spend quality time with my family.

Cons

Secret shoppers are the worst. We are encouraged to use a scripted dialogue with our guests to upsell certain items, and although I can see this would be valuable to someone who is uncomfortable talking to strangers, for me it is simply irritating. I don't feel its appropriate to annoy my guest by suggesting a drink, appetizer, and dessert when they know what they want. However because Applebee's participates in the secret shopper program we have no choice but to assume each guest is a secret shopper and be sure to suggest items or we can be punished by being placed in our secondary position or have our hours reduced due to a poor score on a shop. Like I said, I do see the value of the secret shopper program, however if my guest enjoys my service, has a meal delivered in a timely manner which they enjoy, I think there should be an option for them to say, she didn't suggest a darn thing but she wowed me so don't punish this server.

Great

Current Employee - Hostess
    Current Employee - Hostess

I have been working at Applebee's part-time for less than a year

Pros

We're all really a big family. We may have our issues from time to time, but we come together as a team and make everything work out. Applebuddies!

Cons

If the store is low on staff it make it a little more difficult and if everyone isn't communication then problems will pop up, but really it's the best place I've worked I love it here!

Customers were cruel from time to time, the staff was generally pretty good.

Current Employee - Server  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Server in Madison, WI

I have been working at Applebee's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Staff was supportive and helpful

Cons

Customers were often annoying and the job is tiring.

Good people to work with

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Applebee's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love to come to work in actually like being around the employee's I work with.

Cons

Long hours are require but pass that its a great company to move up in the pyramid.

It is a descent job as restaurants go.

I have been working at Applebee's full-time

Pros

It can be a fun place to work.

Cons

Having to close (ie: get out at 3 am) and in the same week be there at 5 am for inventory. It makes having any kind of normal sleep schedule impossible.

mediocre at best.

Former Employee - Food Server  in  Panama City Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Food Server in Panama City Beach, FL

I worked at Applebee's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Schedule is flexible. Accommodating to physical abilities. Time off is easily taken if requested at least 1 week in advance. The staffing software used is helpful in giving up/picking up shifts.

Cons

The software used to put in orders is atrocious. Complete overhaul is needed. At this particular location, favoites are given select sections and side work is not evenly distributed.

Easy job, overall well-run company.

Current Employee - Server  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Austin, TX

I have been working at Applebee's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good money. It ends up being much higher that minimum wage, maybe about 17/hr if you really give it your all.

Cons

Sometimes its difficult to stay focused and on your toes. Also it's easy to get down when the restaurant is slow and your pay suffers.

Keep standards the same within the franchises. I transferred from Apple Houston to Apple Texas and it was like working in a completely different restaurant. It shouldn't be like that.

Applebee's Photos

Worked for Applebee's? Contribute to the Community!