Appliance Direct

Appliance Direct Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Appliance Direct CEO Sam Pak

Sam Pak

Great company to work for! Pays for performance.

GENERAL SALES MANAGER (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsPerformance based pay. Top performers get paid very well. Room to grow with company and now opportunities for franchise ownership.

ConsVery physical job. Not for the "desk job" type. Frequent changes, must be able to adapt.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing, learning and adapting. Look forward to the future but don't forget about the present.

Great Company!

Producer (Former Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

ProsI worked for the company for a little over a year and a half on the marketing side, very aggressive and straight-forward battle plan. The company has a very competitive edge in the appliance market by undercutting their competition by 100's sometimes 1000's of dollars; they are able to do this by purchasing items in such huge amounts their discount is passed on to the consumer creating such a wide gap between what you can buy it from them for as opposed to what the bigger chains and outlet stores charge.

ConsSometimes chaotic but aren't all places!?

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Trust Me.... Move On

GENERAL SALES MANAGER (Former Employee)
    Winter Garden, FL

ProsPay Is good
    relaxed dress code

ConsThey don't care.
    Frequent unloadingg of trucks with a lot of heavy appliances.
    No 401K
    Frequent Pay Plan Cuts for Management from Left Field

Advice to Senior ManagementYour just a shell of what you used to be, get back to basics

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good sales pay but can be tiring.

Salesman (Former Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

ProsIt's a sales job, so you get to talk to the public.
    You get some exercise while at work.
    Good pay as long as you can sell.
    Fairly laid back environment when the sales are good.

ConsCan be very stressful if you don't sell enough. Commission job.
    Sometimes you have to unload a truck with a lot of heavy appliances.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude a water fountain in the store so you don't have to buy a soda or bring your own drink!

I worked as a manager for 6 years then moved to take care of my wife's parents

GENERAL SALES MANAGER (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsAnd this is a left handed compliment - they do not have an employee culture at all!
    Pak and Salmon do not want a future with employees - their mindset (and this is critical in surviving there) is that they want Owner Operators going forward. They call it something else but I was with Subway in the 80's and I know a franchise model when I see one.
    They act skinny now, not like in 06 and 07 when they were acting corporate and then tanked.
    They pay well and if I had the money I would want a "franchise" in Polk county. If I didn't have the money for my own store I would work as a salesman as long as I got enough hours.

ConsThey think all employees naturally want to be owners when most employees just want a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementFranchise so that I can own my own store!

Senior Management

Sales (Former Employee)
    Altamonte Springs, FL

ProsDriven like they are on some crucial timeline
    Have a plan to take the company to future and franchise model
    When you get face time its uplifting

Cons2 strikes your out mentality.
    Minimal training- they assume you will act as an owner then seem to be flabbergasted when you or other employees don't.
    Human Resources tries to be your "friend" instead of professional short and sweet - end result bad for morale

Advice to Senior ManagementPut both owners on monthly video so the help and "hype" get communicated repeatedly
    Keep opening new store format - thats where your head and heart is - move out of day to day

Not the American Dream it is made out to be.

Sales (Former Employee)
    Altamonte Springs, FL

ProsAppliance Spiff program that can pay decent, provided by the manufacturer and not Appliance Direct.
    Closed on Sundays.
    Retail Scheduling.

ConsCommissions can be hard to compute. There seemed to be a lot of "accidental" mistakes on the payroll side. You have to really study your commission report and call them on their "mistakes".
    Upper management does not shy from using strong language and criticizing remarks.
    Constant management turnover. There is not a strong management training program and employees who are promoted usually aren't given the tools needed to succeed. During the time of my employment I had 7 different managers.
    Stores tend to be dirty and unkempt. While the company likes to keep a low overhead, it negatively impacts the customer experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt may be time for a complete company overhaul from the top down. Maybe they should take the time to hire quality employees and compensate them for the work done to ensure company pride.

Micro-managing heartless "company" with ZERO management/people skills

Assistant Manager/Key Holder (Current Employee)
    Union Park, FL

Prosrelaxed dress code
    Whirlpool Spiff Program

Consmicro-managing
    zero job training
    zero job security
    spotty pay plan
    constant management turnover
    upper management interference on all levels

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the CEO's brother. The ADCorp position is held by the CEO's brother who has no idea at all about how to deal with people. Pay more attention to individual store traffic and not competing business. Ensure you have proper resources, products and training material for employees.

Could be a great place to work.....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCommissions are fair overall
    Still has a spiff program from the manufacturer (all though the spiffs have dropped a lot)
    Casual atmosphere in store

ConsLack of decent benefits (it has changed a little bit)
    No kind of 401K, retirement program, profit sharing or anything close to it!
    No security or stability from complete lack of job evaluation from Senior management
    Complete lack of communication between CEO and President and lower levels get caught in between

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO and CFO are very smart and earned respect and loyalty but that loyalty in many instances was not returned due to senior management "supporting cast" and it is very rough on the staff. CEO is way to smart a man to not see that a certain senior management person (who is great to speak to and should have been a motivational speaker) not only seems to screw up any project he runs but he CANNOT BE TRUSTED as if he dislikes an employee (even one that is dedicated and productive) then soon that employee is no longer with the company! Makes things very rough.

Appliance Direct

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Gainesville, FL

ProsGood oppurtunity to earn money. Company does not care about you.

ConsNo job security at all

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter leadership needed for the company to grow, and bettter communication with their employees. Way too many family members working at headquarters. Some of them very unqualifed for their positions.

Worked for Appliance Direct? Contribute to the Community!

Appliance Direct Videos

Appliance Direct – Why Work for Us?

People, Products and Promotion... the keys to success in any business are having the right people, a superior product and consistent, ongoing promotion. At Appliance Direct, you will have the opportunity to represent… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Appliance Direct reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Appliance Direct CEO Sam Pak. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Appliance Direct employees.