Applico Reviews

Updated March 7, 2015
68 reviews filtered by
Applico President & CEO Alex Moazed
Alex Moazed

Pros
  • talented people work here, but none last very long (in 6 reviews)

• They're great people and you get to know them like family (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It makes having a healthy work-life balance impossible (in 5 reviews)

• disorganized, long hours make it not so enjoyable at times (in 5 reviews)

1. Great, intense but ultimately rewarding time.

Former Employee - Software Engineer, Mobile
    Former Employee - Software Engineer, Mobile

I worked at Applico

Pros

In NYC
    Great, fun culture
    Opportunities to learn emerging technologies and apply them in a real word setting

Cons

slightly long hours at times, but only as a result of trouble

2. Overall positive, good first internship experience.

I worked at Applico

Pros

Good office culture - laid back but knows it was important to get going as a new company
    Collaborative work environment - everything was team-based
    Nice office - comfortable and vibrant space
    Smart, young people keep you motivated

Cons

Lack of structure - although probably not uncommon in a new company
    Basically no training - just learn as you go, which isn't so bad for some people

3. Simple work experience

Former Intern - Business Development in Venice, CA
    Former Intern - Business Development in Venice, CA

I worked at Applico as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Not hard work. Need basic skills. Easy 1000 dollar stipend for the summer. The work space is also very fun and your coworkers are great. I worked in the los angeles office.

Cons

Some challenges were that you must work slow or you will have nothing to do for hours on end. There were many days where I felt that I had nothing to do.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO

Overall Rewarding Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Applico full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am currently an executive at Applico, been employed here for about 4.5 years. Anyhow, this industry(services) is unique as a whole, so writing a review is a little tough to do on company vs industry. One of the things that I have always enjoyed about this space, is that it is constantly evolving. Whether it is technology, methodology, tools, or clients, the job requires and elevates your diversity of skillsets and should appeal to people who are interested in what they DONT know. Additionally, the eclectic backgrounds of people that work at places like Applico provide an opportunity to learn from others, across disciplines, that makes it truly special.
    Specifically regarding Applico though:
      - Comradery: There is a strong sense of comradery here, which is a plus. You almost never feel like you are on an island, solving something alone, employees have a team at their disposal which is in stark contrast in how our offerings were aligned in the past.
      - Experience: There aren't too many places that have been doing mobile as long as we have, with that experience means a lot of risk is mitigated up front, and we have a strong sense of how to strategize and build things correctly. Good experience = great products = happy employees = happy clients. Team synergy and consistency is important and that's something we value highly as an organization
       -Talent: While experience is great, technologies and the business landscape is constantly evolving. Having people that are talented enough to identify new concepts, learn them, and apply them to Applico takes talent, and I truly believe that we have some talented people here, its a major reason why I get up in the morning

Cons

Admittedly there has been a lot of change. There were some early growth pains that Applico endured (like others in the space) that we plowed through and conquered. However that doesn't mean change isn't on the horizon the future. While we are constantly evolving and innovating, with that comes change and that change isn't for everyone. If you are used to a 9-5 job in which processes are old and stagnant then this probably isn't the place for you. Work/Life balance can be all over the map, sometimes its great at other times it can be stressful, it depends on the client, team, expectations etc. Again it goes back to consistency, if you are used to a routine that can certainly be seen as a negative. The office space is also old and a little run down, but I hear a new office space is on the horizon this spring!

Advice to Management

Management has gotten much better about listening to its employees, especially over the course of the last 6 months, keep doing that. The employees have made this place, we all stay for each other...so keep it up. More company outings are much needed at least on a rotating or quarterly basis. The telecoms between offices can sometimes be tough but its been nice seeing the Boston people more frequently, it would be nice to see LA in person every once in a while.

6. My Favorite Work Experience Thus Far

I worked at Applico

Pros

I think I can unanimously agree with the rest of the reviewers and say that yes, the people are in fact the best part of Applico. I've created long lasting professional and personal relationships with a lot of my former coworkers.

I learned so much about the industry in such a short period of time. The products we built were incredibly interesting - I had the opportunity to work with Fortune 500 clients, successful startups, etc.

Yes, it was certainly difficult at times, but it was during those difficult times where I learned the most about myself from a professional standpoint. Leaving Applico, I was more confident and knowledgeable.

Applico has truly opened so many doors for me and I'm so happy to have worked in such a exciting environment.

Cons

It was a bit challenging at the time of my employment, as we were restructuring teams and responsibilities. It was unclear where I fit during that period of time.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. The return is certainly there.

Leaving was a relieft

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Applico full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They had a great rooftop to work on.

Cons

Every day you'd walk in and be afraid you'd get fired.
    The hours were horrible 12-16 hour days.
    Management would yell & scream and point fingers at one another when teams were unable to meet deadlines because of staffing issues or because projects couldn't hit deadlines due to estimates created by the sales team rather than the actual team members implementing them.
    Clients were always unhappy, often feeling as if they were nickel & dimed for every second of work.
    The work quality was buggy due to compressed timelines and overworked employees.
    Moral was low and people were constantly looking for a way out or a way to fly under the radar so they didn't get hit with the wrath of management and fired on a whim.
    Processes were always changing "we're waterfall, we're agile, we're lean" No one know the process which meant delivery of projects was never the same. These inconsistencies is where the unhappy employees & clients amounted from.

The CEO tried to implement culture & values but it was really all talk and no action.
    The employees were the culture and the only spark that made working at Applico worthwhile - but with the way the company was being run, even those employee-bonds weren't enough to make people stay.

Advice to Management

Grow up, employ some veterans in the industry to help get your business, finances, and team leadership under control

Jul 8, 2014Human Resources Business Partner

Thanks for your feedback and we’re sorry to hear you felt this way while working here.

In the early days we were certainly scrappy and sometimes we’d pull all-nighters to get builds out to
    ... More

Your colleagues will be at your wedding...

Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Applico full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Life long friends
    - Very cool projects
    - Music is always playing at the office
    - Yearly bonuses, 401k package etc.
    - Typically promoted within a year if you follow values and work hard

Cons

- Communication between management and the rest of the company could improve
    - Clients can be demanding
    - Glassdoor review makes current employees upset because the reviews are usually not accurate

Work has the potential to be interesting, but management is chaotic

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Applico as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Got to know and learn from incredibly smart people
    -Co-workers were, overall, fun to hang out and work with
    -An unexpected degree of freedom to research potential business opportunities

Cons

-Upper management seems to be severely disorganized; doesn't communicate direction very well
    -Doesn't pay very well, and that's reflected in the amount of talent leaving.

Advice to Management

Communicate better, and learn that you can't be cheap without risking losing very good talent.

Jul 8, 2014Human Resources Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We wish you luck on your next big career move. As we innovate, we continue to work on our communication strategies (responding to you being one of ... More

Like working in a family with an abusive dad

I worked at Applico

Pros

The people. By far. They're great people and you get to know them like family. They try to help each other out and are very understanding.

Cons

Poor leadership. The CEO really doesn't seem to care about the human infrastructure of the company -- last I heard the company was losing good talent and losing it fast -- he is a visionary, but no leader.

Advice to Management

Respect works better than fear in the long run.

Apr 23, 2014Human Resources Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. Our People are great and many have formed amazing friendships. We strongly encourage our teams to both ask and answer questions of other team members. Freedom of ... More

Management is a total joke

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Applico full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The coworkers here are great and the only thing that makes it bearable. CTO is awesome and should be the one leading the company.

Cons

The CEO is a total joke. He commands absolutely no respect from anyone there, in fact most employees laugh about how delusional he is. He thinks by yelling at employees or acting like some arrogant visionary people will want to work for him. Also the COO is his college friend and the total lack of skills and experience shows. The culture here is one of employees versus senior management.

Most of the positive reviews here are all from the interns just looking for a full-time gig. Take a minute to read the rest of the reviews here and then run away from this sinking ship as fast as you can.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CEO or enjoy floundering in mediocrity.

Apr 23, 2014Human Resources Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. As stated many times, the people here are absolutely great, which includes everyone; interns, employees, and senior management. It is not my usual practice to make a ... More