Applico

Applico Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Applico President & CEO Alex Moazed

Alex Moazed

Pros
  • talented people work here, but none last very long (in 6 reviews)

• They're great people and you get to know them like family (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It makes having a healthy work-life balance impossible (in 4 reviews)

• disorganized, long hours make it not so enjoyable at times (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

My Favorite Work Experience Thus Far

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI think I can unanimously agree with the rest of the reviewers and say that yes, the people are in fact the best part of Applico. I've created long lasting professional and personal relationships with a lot of my former coworkers.

I learned so much about the industry in such a short period of time. The products we built were incredibly interesting - I had the opportunity to work with Fortune 500 clients, successful startups, etc.

Yes, it was certainly difficult at times, but it was during those difficult times where I learned the most about myself from a professional standpoint. Leaving Applico, I was more confident and knowledgeable.

Applico has truly opened so many doors for me and I'm so happy to have worked in such a exciting environment.

ConsIt was a bit challenging at the time of my employment, as we were restructuring teams and responsibilities. It was unclear where I fit during that period of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people. The return is certainly there.

Your colleagues will be at your wedding...

Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Life long friends
    - Very cool projects
    - Music is always playing at the office
    - Yearly bonuses, 401k package etc.
    - Typically promoted within a year if you follow values and work hard

Cons- Communication between management and the rest of the company could improve
    - Clients can be demanding
    - Glassdoor review makes current employees upset because the reviews are usually not accurate

Be cautious

ProsFree beer, no dress code.

ConsWe don't put our credo of 'People Values and Culture' into practice. We try to have a cool image, but this company feels mediocre and doing nothing valuable but fueling the egos of the executive team. Nothing great happens here.

Sadly, the executive team doesn't associate with the rest of us employees. I often feel forced to work nights and weekends just to keep my job.

Furthermore, many of good reviews you see on Glassdoor about Applico were done by interns at the request of our managers. I saw these conversations take place.

I am thinking up an exit strategy and looking for new work. No one actually loves working here - ask a current employee. Avoid this place and go somewhere that cares about its people and products.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease care more about your employees and your products, and less about numbers and networking.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The worst CEO in the World

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company is in a good market.

ConsThe CEO is a joke. No respect for his clients, employees or vendors. No business sense. If you want to screw up your project, hire them. If you want to screw up your life, work for them. If you want to get robbed, do work for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company as you will fail.

You're better off applying for unemployment

IOS Developer (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosground-level employees are great to work with
    can make some good friends (if they don't get fired or quit first)

Consc-level management has no idea what it's doing (with exception of CTO)
    do not follow own values
    force employees to write positive glassdoor reviews
    promote flexible work schedule but will fire employees if they aren't working 10++ hour days
    operations are a mess due to c-level inexperience
    gives sales team priority over development team, letting sales set unrealistic client expectations on deliverables and making developers work 12 hour days to meet them
    the list goes on...

Advice to Senior Managementdo not only worry about your profit margin, scaling up and lowering profits can be just as important for a startup's success. treat your mobile developers like gold, they are tough to come by and even harder to keep.

Used to be a Sweat Shop

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked with some amazing developers, designers and QA engineers who were the best in the industry but unfortunately 90% of them have left the company.

ConsMismanagement of projects
    Understaff project
    Really Long Hours (14hrs was regular)
    Less Pay

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire people if you are going to fire them in a week or two.

Amazing people and quality work...the best!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat company culture and work is representative of that. All of the employees are very professional, hard working, innovative, and results oriented. They had a wonderful and talented summer intern class that was an absolute pleasure to work with. Couldn't have had a better experience!

ConsWish I could have spent more time getting to know all of the employees!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! Your ability to get employees involved in projects that are philanthropic and benefiting the community around you is admirable. Your donated time and efforts will have an everlasting impact, and all of your hard work is much appreciated.

a firm unlike any other

Mobile Innovator (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosthe people who work at applico have an understanding of mobile and connected technology beyond any other working group i have been around
    my ability to learn from others is extremely high and i am able to immerse myself in subjects that are super interesting to me

Consthe company is constantly evolving which can make it difficult to appropriately set expectations around job roles and responsibilities. some people can thrive in that environment, but, at the same time, it can add pressure and difficulty for others

Advice to Senior Managementthe more transparent you are the better. we like the value system and want to see more leadership leading by example

Fun environment and good exposure to the start up culture

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)

ProsEnjoyable chance to learn about mobile strategy and engineering. The relatively small size of the firm provides an opportunity to work on bigger projects if you ask.

ConsSome of the work gets a bit repetitive on a daily basis. There's not much interaction between the engineering team and the other functions.

Great first internship experience

Marketing Design (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI really enjoyed getting a peak into the business world and getting to work in the rapidly developing industry of technology. What I enjoyed most was getting to know all the people there. In the end I came out as a better person than before I came in here. There's no traditional sense of hierarchy that I was expected in a business and you could talk to anyone as a person even to the COO and the CEO.

ConsI did wish we got to see how the leads had their meetings. Our meetings were kind of disorganized and most people never said anything unless they had to because they were presenting. I also wish that strategy wasn't the only ones making the decisions for what direction the project is going in and I wish there was more collaboration or input from the other teams into that decision because I think anyone can have good ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was great but maybe a little more communication going around to all of the interns and more organization could have been needed. Lauren is also the best she helped me on the intern project more than anyone else and was always ready to answer our needs on how to further advance with the project goals.

Worked for Applico? Contribute to the Community!