Applied Behavior Consultants

2.7

Joseph Morrow, Ph.D

rewarding job

I have been working at Applied Behavior Consultants

Pros

fun work environment. rewarding job. fun kiddos

Cons

management is hard to deal with, hard to get time off

listen to your employees.

Rewarding job that helps a lot of kids and families, but extremely disorganized in the office.

Former Employee - Therapist in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Therapist in Valencia, CA

I worked at Applied Behavior Consultants part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The basis of the company is great. The heads of the company are very passionate about the work they do for the children. There is a great amount of continuing education. There is a lot of opportunity to learn.

Cons

The office itself is very disorganized and it is not employee friendly. Employees do not tend to stay working there very long. Families often complained of not being informed.

Listen to your employees, 9/10 truly want to advance in the company if given a chance and it appears that friendships and favoritism is definitely a factor in play in order to advance to a higher position.

ABC is more focused on making money than their clients and employees. Over worked and low pay. Very High turn over.

Former Employee - Behavior Consultant in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Consultant in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Applied Behavior Consultants full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training is comprehensive
    Organized
    Great clients

Cons

More focus on meeting billable hours than providing quality service
    Low pay
    Very Large caseload
    Make their Behavior Consultants be regular therapist and provide direct hours to meet billable hours
     Little support

Stop focusing on the profit and start focusing more on your clients and employees. Stop having your Behavior Consultant Supervisors provide direct service when that is not what they were hired to do.

A Great Start to an ABA Career

Former Employee - Behavior Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Technician in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Applied Behavior Consultants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The training was great. I work for a new company now and while the training process there is different, I still draw from the same teaching techniques and ideas I was trained with at ABC almost a decade ago when I train new technicians. If you're looking for an entry-level position and an introduction to ABA, this is a great place for your foundation. The structure of the classrooms also run smoothly for both the staff and the students. And as someone else said in a different review, the hours can be convenient for students. I was also able to use my work experience for some course credits during my undergrad. It's a lot of hard work and a lot of fun.

A lot of the middle management staff, like the leads were great! They knew hot to relate to the technicians and were effective supervisors. Many of them had a laid-back management style that made them very approachable and let the technicians feel comfortable around them. But they were not taken advantage of because they were well-experienced individuals who knew their trade. So everyone respected them - not because they demanded respect - but because they earned it and we all knew it.

In addition, now that I do in-home therapy that can be isolating, working in a close-knit school environment with other colleagues and supervisors, there is always support around if you need help and supervision is always available. I am not sure how much things have changed since I left there a few years ago, but from my experience, it was not difficult to get full time. In fact, the reason why I had to leave the company was because I was beginning grad school and I was told they were going to be phasing part time position and wanted to only have full time Behavior Technicians. Things could have changed over the years, but had I been allowed to go part time, I would have loved to stay. I miss the kids terribly and the Behavior Technicians were great people, some of whom are still great friends of mine.

As I mentioned, I haven't been there for quite a few years, but they also have a recent dedication to educating their employees. Employees seeking to obtain their Master's and BCBA degrees now have the opportunity to work in a group with their coworkers and on site to go through the program together.

Most importantly, the students progress. You work with them everyday and see their language skills, social skills, and academic abilities improve. There are hard days, there are tough behaviors. But every day, you leave work knowing you made a difference. And that data shows it. If you don't mind a minimal paycheck, this is truly the payoff of the job that keeps employees motivated everyday.

Cons

This is also a pro, but you get very attached to the kids. They rotate staff around once a year to different classrooms to prevent staff and client burnout/satiation. This is a great idea, but it's hard to watch and work with the same kids directly for an entire year, get moved to a different classroom, and not be able to have direct knowledge of their progress after that due to confidentiality (staff were not allowed to discuss clients with each other unless the same 2 staff talking about that client worked directly in the same classroom with that client).

I'm also in disagreement with someone else who reviewed saying that they inquired about advancement at every review. Because a con I am listing is that ABC was not diligent with their reviews. And being that raises are determined based on the result of the review, it was very frustrating. It took me 2.5 years of working there before I got my first review, and you're supposed to get one a MINIMUM of once a year (also, to that same person, you can't get direct therapy Behavior Technician work signed off for your BCBA hours).

Once the school districts, and subsequently ABC, got hit with budget cuts and started getting furloughed a few years back, they made a promise that they would not conduct any layoffs. And to my knowledge they held true to that. What happened instead, at least from the BT perspective, was that people started getting fired for seemingly random and wrongful reasons. Admittedly, I only received second or third-hand knowledge, but from the stories I heard, it sounded like random reasons were made up to terminate some people - and it seemed to be, from my perspective at the time, a way to save some money and tighten the belts without having to officially lay people off. This all may or may not have any validity, but what it did for those of us who remained was made us incredibly fearful for our job securities. The supervisors seemed to be alienated from the direct classroom staff, and it made it so that every time a BCBA was in the classroom, we were all fearful of every little screw up, thinking we could get fired at any moment. Giving the benefit of the doubt, it was probably just because of the rumors going around at the BT level, but anxiety of all the staff increased, and I feel work performances suffered. So I think there was an oversight on the management's part, which I hope has been resolved.

My only real gripe was that the pay was absolutely not good. At all. For being a college student, it was enough to pay the bills and have hours that worked with my school schedule, but really not much else. Maybe it's a symptom of being in California and when budget cuts happen at the government level, education is the first to go. But being in competition with other companies who do ABA, the pay doesn't come close. I worked there for nearly 5 years, and I was only making $1.50 more per hour than when I started. When I got my new job about 6 months later, I started off making almost twice as much per hour than I did at ABC, and that's not even with a company that pays the most in the area. If it weren't so hard to leave the amazing team of staff and the incredible kids that are there, I'm sure other staff members would have a much easier decision leaving for a company that pays better. Medical, dental, etc are good if you are full time, but the paycheck you bring home is never a lot at the behavior technician level.

If you hold a Bachelor's Degree or less, there are few opportunities for upward mobility within the company. Unless you want to move to work in administration for the company, behavior technician and lead behavior technician are your only real options. And since the leads tend to be people who have been around the company a long time, and have a desire to stick around, that leaves opportunities for promotions very limited. Personally, this was part of the motivation that I had to seek a higher degree and certification, but I saw a lot of people get complacent, or even discouraged.

Thank you for providing great training and great experience in the ABA field. Great words of affirmation and encouragement are nice, but if you want to retain employees and show their work and dedication is valued, pay them more. Make it a priority to provide ongoing performance reviews and give feedback - both positive and corrective. It's true every individual has to hold themselves accountable and find their own motivations, but remember that the children have the right to effective and quality therapy. And if there are extraneous factors set up by the company that don't let the technicians know they are truly valued, the quality of the therapy they provide will be less than what the clients deserve. While working with the children and seeing them progress is a huge motivator for the job, the company itself needs to motivate the staff as well.

Was a great start, seemed promising..management doesn't like feedback..

I worked at Applied Behavior Consultants full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Seems organized but was not
    taking on more clients but not having enough therapists caused issues for therapists and office staff
    taking on more clients without proper resources caused clients to not be serviced correctly

Cons

Workload was too much for one individual (speaking from seeing multiple individuals struggling). Bringing up any issue such as conflicting directions or complex work load ended up in a termination.
    Corp took the concerns but did nothing to shield the employees from termination

Listen to concerns of the workers to ensure proper workflow and worker happiness so accounts can be managed properly

Great Part time hard to get full time

I have been working at Applied Behavior Consultants part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

working with the kids is the best and it is very interesting to see them transition out

Cons

not being able to become full time especially when you have been with the company for over 5 years

Gave false promises, but the kids are great.

Current Employee - ABA Tutor
    Current Employee - ABA Tutor

I have been working at Applied Behavior Consultants part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The kids are great and the hours can be convenient for students. Great for people with not much experience because they offer training. If you're interested in entry-level ABA work, this is a great place for that.

Cons

I came in with a lot of experience and they still had me start at the bottom, which was not a big deal at first because they promised me quick advancement. Unfortunately after I started they no longer wanted to discuss opportunity for advancement, even though I was receiving excellent reviews at every overlap. Whenever I asked it was dismissed or I was told to ask someone else. Additionally, I was told that a BCBA would sign off on my work hours for my BCBA certification, but they failed to do that as well. It appears that in order to advance here you need to work at ABC for several years. If they had told me that during the interview process I would not have accepted the job. I'm currently looking for another company that is interested in mentoring me to a more advanced position.

Provide more mentorship to employees obtaining certification. Reward high performance and experience with more responsibility.

Good for the experience, No upward mobility

Former Employee - Behavior Consultant in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Consultant in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Applied Behavior Consultants full-time

Pros

1) Good for the experience. ABC hires people with little or no experience.
    2) Good training opportunities. ABC sends you to Sacramento for trainings under BCBA's.
    3) Variety. ABC (Walnut Creek branch) sends consultants to work with children and adults, in school, home, and community settings.

Cons

1) Because they hire with little or no experience, ABC managers are slow to promote from within their own ranks and they cite "inexperience" regardless of how long you've been employed with them. If you're inexperienced after two years, then what is their training plan for you? These criticisms only seem to come up if you are requesting a promotion.
    2) Despite the training, they don't provide enough training on behavioral assessment. ABC could brush up on their functional behavioral assessment techniques. I had a supervisor (non-BCBA) that recommended inappropriate interventions for problem behaviors.
    3) The Walnut Creek branch didn't have any direct BCBA oversight when I was there... and their program managers still aren't certified. People who earn the certification are not moved into managerial roles.
    4) The pay isn't competitive with other agencies. Expect to make around $60K if you're a BCBA.
    5) Program managers and SBC's were inexperienced and unprofessional. Meetings that should have been held in private were taking place in public locations. Disagreements about treatment plans were automatically dismissed by program managers and senior behavior consultants (it seemed that unless it was their idea, it wasn't correct). Employee privacy is not protected... managers would speak negatively about current employees or former employees to me and others.

1) Provide more oversight for your Program Managers and Senior Behavior Consultants. They are representing ABC, too.
    2) Be competitive with the market! BCBA's are easily wooed away by other agencies who can pay minimally $70K.
    3) Allow your BCBA's to enhance ABC's collective skills by allowing them to use their knowledge and training.

Its ok, good place to work if your in school full-time

Current Employee - ABA Tutor in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - ABA Tutor in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Applied Behavior Consultants part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to get the experience

Cons

Very little hours!!!!!! Subbing sucks because most of the clients binders are very unorganized and this gets over looked by everyone!

Make sure someone goes out to the home and conducts a maintenance check with the clients binders! give tutors more hours! This is probably why everyone is quitting left and right!

A rewarding but challenging job.

I have been working at Applied Behavior Consultants part-time

Pros

The clients! It's wonderful working with the clients and their families.

Cons

There are very few hours. The pay for being a skilled college graduate working in a stressful environment is too low.

Increase hours and pay rate.