Applied Engineering Inc.

Updated July 15, 2014
3.5

David Raatz
1 Rating

Good stable job although not particularly technical or challenging

Current Employee - Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Design Engineer

I have been working at Applied Engineering Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, low stress, they promote flexible hours although that entirely depends on the policy of whatever company you end up getting contracted out to.

Cons

Applied has never provided any training, all the training I have received has been paid for by clients I have been contracted to.
    When interviewing, I was told the company provided consulting services, but in reality they provide contract engineer work. In the engineering world, they are a little bit like a temp agency.
    During an interview, I was asked some interesting questions like what my parents did. I thought that was a bit unprofessional to ask that, since I was the one applying for the job, not my parents.
    It's an employee owned company, but I'm never sure if its a good investment to buy the company stock.

It would be a good move to invest in your employees if the company's value really lies in the value of the employees, which I would expect to be the case in an employee owned company.

Applied is a Good Midwestern Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Management Position in Bismarck, ND
    Current Employee - Management Position in Bismarck, ND

I have been working at Applied Engineering Inc.

Pros

The company is well diversified and they have been financially stable in a tough economy. At 100+ employee's, AE is an SME company. However, they are a large enough company to be able to provide better than average benefits, annual bonus's and decent wages to all of their employee's.

Cons

AE is owned 100% by the ESOP, but employee's don't seem to have much direct input on how the company operates. It would be beneficial to have more diversity represented on the board of directors. Terms might also be considered.

Empower your Managers/Directors. Provide them with the flexibility to make key decisions within their teams. Allow them to execute on an approved business plan and budget, alleviating delays in execution and productivity.

Great place to work. Great people to work with.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bismarck, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bismarck, ND

I have been working at Applied Engineering Inc.

Pros

1. Opportunities: With a consulting company, you never know what's around the next corner. Since I've been with AE, I've been fortunate enough to work with dozens of companies and hundreds of people. The variety keeps things interesting and gives employees exposure to a variety of industries.
    2. People: The team at AE is very friendy. While at AE, I've developed many long lasting friendships both with coworkers and with customers.
    3. Location: Bismarck has been a great place to live. It can get a little cold in the winter, but there's plenty to do year round. The nice thing with AE is that there are opportunities for travel also with various projects, so if you enjoy getting out and seeing the world, it's an option. We have several offices in the Midwest and 1 in Texas, and our customers are located all over the world.

Cons

Applied Engineering, being a consulting company, is fairly dependant on customers. The recent economic downturn affected many of our customers, especially in the manufacturing industry, and this had a direct impact on our workload. AE has made strides to overcome this by diversifying our customer base and exploring other business markets.

Continue to build strong relationships with employees and customers. Keep looking for ways to improve and grow the company while maintaining a close-knit team atmosphere.

Like a ship with out a tiller.

Current Employee - Eng in Bismarck, ND
    Current Employee - Eng in Bismarck, ND

I have been working at Applied Engineering Inc.

Pros

Flexable work environment. Balance of family and work life is good.

Cons

The company has been around for 25 years. Upper management is stuck in their ways and the industry is changing. They are used to the "good ol" days when they basically sent out invoices and collected checks. Not willing to change with the economy. I'm all for "if it's not broke, don't fix it" but nearly all the employees know it's broke but upper management is unwilling to change. Sad, they have huge potential but zero vision of the future.

Listen to the good employee's you have left on how to move the company in the right direction before they are all gone.

Long time employee ready to leave

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Bismarck, ND
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Bismarck, ND

I have been working at Applied Engineering Inc.

Pros

Management is very hands off.
    They offer a pretty good health benefit package.
    ESOP available to 401k participants. (could be a pro or a con depending how you look at it, because they offer this instead of a 401k match to your contributions)

Cons

Engineering Services division of AE is almost stricly an engineering contracting service, not a consulting service as they advertise. All of my experience and training and development has been due to and paid for by a third party. Management is very hands off and will tell you anything you want to hear to keep you happy, whether it is true or not.

AE has cut a lot of employees since mid-year 2008. In one years time we are down to less than half of the employees we had then. Management need to retain their current employees to be able to grow again. Stop laying people off!

Best workplace flexibility and environment I've ever experienced.

I have been working at Applied Engineering Inc. full-time

Pros

The company culture is extremely supportive of workplace flexibility. Most everyone who works in any job is very intelligent, professional, and helpful, providing a caring team atmosphere. While everyone is supportive, there is no micro-management. The environment is generally very laid back and fun, yet professional. There are many opportunities to work in different work locations and with different customers, projects, and software.

Cons

The flip side to the variety of work and flexibility of working for a consulting firm is that if you find a particular work location or project you really like, you aren't always guaranteed to work there forever. Also, being a consulting firm, there are times when work schedules and holidays are aimed at accommodating customers, some of whom are exceptionally flexible and others who aren't as much.

Continue to support workplace flexibility and growth and development of your employees. Allow for even more shared responsibility in decision-making, planning, budgeting, and approving expenses because the company is 100% employee owned and everyone is very competent and focused on continuing the success of the company.

Bad experience

I worked at Applied Engineering Inc.

Pros

Applied Engineering offers a very good work - life balance and a very good health care plan at little cost to the employee.

Cons

In my opinion the company had very little transparency. During hard economic times there were a large number of layoffs with no internal statement from management. More emphasis was put on the amount of time you billed to a customer than the quality of work done by the team. Concerns brought to management largely seemed to go ignored.

Love the variety and the challenges!

I have been working at Applied Engineering Inc.

Pros

AE has a good team atmosphere and a wide variety of projects. As a consultant, you get the opportunity to work with many different customers and in a variety of engineering disciplines. I can’t think of a better way to develop into an effective engineer. All of our customers have been great to work with, so it’s been great way for me to build relationships with people in many different companies/roles. Technically I've learned a lot. But I've also been able to advance my skills in the areas of leadership, sales and marketing, project management, communication, teamwork, and time management.

Consulting is exciting, fast-paced, and challenging. I like that sort of work environment.

Cons

The economy was really tough in late 2008 and early 2009 which definitely affected AE (as it hit almost every other company during this period). Glad to see things turning around as of late and seeing some growth again. As with any small to medium sized company, many people at AE are asked to wear many hats. This can be challenging but again it's a great opportunity to gain a wide variety of experience and to work with people in many different areas of business.

Keep up the good work. AE is an excellent place to work and it has lots of good things going for it. The vast majority of my co-workers and AE's customers have been just amazing to work with.