Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland)

www.applied.com

Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland) CEO Neil A. Schrimsher

Neil A. Schrimsher

Pass on AIT

Account Manager (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsBenefits package i.e. health insurance, retirement was good. Company vehicle for Account Managers, company credit card for AM's

ConsMicromanaging nightmare. Tons of paperwork for sales when selling not office work should be the focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you can't trust your sellers to sell then you're GMs and RMs aren't doing their jobs to facilitate the field personnel or they aren't good evaluators of talent. Seems that the culture is that all sales people are lazy and unless micromanaged they aren't capable of tying their own shoes. Please drop the sales funnel if you already haven't. Good salespeople know how to qualify and work through a sale or opportunity.

Awful company to work for

Account Manager (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGreat customers. Good benefits. Very good products.

ConsVery poor training for new account managers, very lazy disfunctional attitude throughout entire company. No accountability for cssr's, gm's & even rm's. Every branch seems to have it's own business model & the roleout of SAP has been a disaster in every way. There is no way to track sales, quotes & orders take 2 to 3 times longer than before, misships, wrong quantities, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people more. Competitor's pay much better & a lot of employees are leaving-just take a look at all of the job openings.

Trade Credit Intern

Trade Credit Intern (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsI got entry-level experience with both Oracle and SAP.

ConsTerrible company environment. Trade Credit is the worst. They hire interns to do the same job as their full-time employees at a slave-rate of $10 an hour. Their is no communication within the Trade Credit department because the Manager is an anti-social, slob. There are no opportunities for learning, and no chance for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to teach your interns, and employees how to become leaders, rather than using then for cheap labor. Make your employees want to stick around.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Utterly the most depressed company in Industrial Distribution. Taking good people and making them sad.

Account Manager (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsI'm at a loss to think of one reason to work for this company ? Other than you need a pay check for now. But, plan on leaving as soon as you arrive. And I mean plan, play chess. Take the job and search for the next one on your way in the door.

ConsAs a sales pro, working for Applied Industrial technologies is the most depressing experience I can think of. If you want to maintain a positive focus on success avoid this company. This was the saddest work environment I have ever been exposed to. Beyond words.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is the question in a vacum ? What management ? The implied and or apparent involvement of skilled, informed, forward think leadership is utterly devoid at this company. This is truly a rudderless ship heading for corporate abyss.

For Outside Sales/Account Managers, a Micromanaging Nightmare

Account Manager (Former Employee) Farmington Hills, MI

ProsThe inside sales staff, especially the former Detroit Ball Bearing people in Detroit, are nothing short of awesome. Great "got your back" type of people, great support. Benefits with Applied are very good.

ConsIt started with great promise, then turned into nothing but a paycheck. When an inside sales person, with two decades of experience, says that they would NEVER take an account manager (outside sales) with these guys, that should tell you all...

Fundamentally dishonest company, advertising the outside sales/account manager position as salary plus bonus opportunity, when in reality,it's draw against commission, the Detroit/Michigan managers do not tell you that until you're months into the job, and it would take tripling the sales of your territory to just break even on the salary/draw. Compensation - advertised one way, reality a whole other, unattainable mater.

Massive amounts of micromanaging everyone.

Outside sales/account managers should plan on having at least half of their time set for them, making "joint" sales calls with any one of at least ten vendor sales people.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of abusive general and service center managers. Management by intimidation is counterproductive. Stop micromanaging your sales people.

Large company that has no clue of what goes on at the branches

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome large company Benefits through small branches

ConsFrivolous law suits by upper management when employees leave. Human resources does not help with complaints. Things are swept under the rug. They are duplicating their efforts on sales with subsidiaries completing with the same products. The subsidiaries make a better margin because AIT is not a technical company they are now like a catalog house.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! Ask the little people what is really going on.

Typical slum employer

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits were decent considering how in the hole health care has gone.

ConsManagement has their noses stuck far up the hind ends of regionals. Company only cares about who is kissing whose rear end. No loyalty. Longevity means squat. Watch your back.

Advice to Senior ManagementThose in corporate should pay attention to what really goes on at branch level. Might get happier employees who care about their jobs.

AIT provides a job, not a career.

Customer Service Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsIt is a decent entry level job that exposes you to working first hand with customers and provides you with a concept of business as a whole.

ConsManagement rarely does what they say they will do. The company often pays less than the cost of living. They give you a plan for your future upon employment, but the plan slowly deteriorates as time goes on. There is a huge disconnect between corporate and branch levels as well as poor morale among employees, which leads to customers not being taken care of. After seeing multiple branches across the US, it is a common trend to see both veterans as well as new employees completely dissatisfied with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your employees by letting them know when they are doing a good job and show them that they are valued (every day encouragement, incentives, etc). Management needs to work on standing behind what they say. The customers will be much better taken care of if Applied employees enjoy where they work and know they are working for a company that values their efforts.

Good Company but could be great!

General Manager (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsCompany is in transition with new senior management and has great potentials once those 5 & 10 year plans are put in place. Great people around the country working in the field. Great product lines to compete with competitors.

ConsSenior management needs to improve strategies and make changes so it can maintain current associates, loss of too many strong associates has made it difficult to develop accounts and markets.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO & CCO should take a look at current senior officers and strategies, need to open their minds to new business opportunities. Look into the reason why so many strong associates are leaving to competitors. Need to come down from the glass tower and speak with field to hear and solve problems. It is very difficult to grow business when you can barely manage current business with so few staff members at the branch level.

Struggle to get by

Management Associate (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsVery relaxed work environment, not difficult or stressful work. It varies from branch to branch, but friendly people for the most part.

Finally switched to an ERP that works, but the average age at this company is 60 years old and no one has a clue how to use it.

ConsVery few people are motivated at this company, namely inside sales. Without strong leadership, the lack of motivation from the people on the inside really hurts outside salesmen.

They do not pay cost of living, it is a serious struggle to get by. The incentives/bonuses they tell you to expect each month are never close to what they estimate they will be. The fact is that this company pays terribly and unless you are given accounts to cover your base salary (which is extremely rare) you are going to go into subsidy for the first few years of working here... making it very difficult to get into the black. Outside salesmen who have 20-30+ years experience are still making under 75k. The pay structure is horrendous, they market the job as a salaried position, and you come to find out it's a draw after being there for 4 months.

Terrible culture, awful relationships between employees, embarrassing in front of customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a decent work-life balance, but pay employees cost of living at a minimum. I've been working here almost a year and haven't been able to put a dime into savings, and wasn't able to give my family presents for christmas. If it wasn't for some investments I made before working here, I'd be on the streets right now.

Worked for Applied Industrial Technologies (Cleveland)? Contribute to the Community!