Applied Materials

Applied Materials Reviews in Austin, TX

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Applied Materials CEO & President Gary Dickerson

Gary Dickerson

Pros
  • Decent compensation packages and work life balance(in 22 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent location, free water from the water fountain(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge, depending on the job function(in 36 reviews)

• The only way to get a promotion is to fake working long hours(in 25 reviews)

61 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Headed in the right direction

Senior Director (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe acquisition of Gary Dickerson came with the acquisition of Varian. Gary brings a very focused and pragmatic style to AMAT which is refreshing after years of Mike Splinter's ego centric and random leadership (we are in the solar business - oops no we're not; let's buy an e- beam company so we can throw money down a rat hole; lets hire this executive so we can fire them 2 years later when they threaten my position) .

Look at the rise in stock price and Gary's leadership vs what the stock did during Splinter's Tenure
    Splinter Came in in 2003 with the Stock trading in the $14-range. On September 17, 2013 it closed at $15.04
    Since Dickerson took over the stock has climbed to above $20. I believe some if that is due to the to the merger with TEL, which will give AMAT more power in the marketplace and a lot of it is due to the market's perception that Dickerson is a stronger leader than Splinter

ConsManagement tends to be 95% type A's who shoot first and ask questions later, so competition is fierce. THe organization into product business units means an unusual matrix type of organization that makes authority unclear and requires careful management of the politics. Disputes often have to be resolved by the president or CEO but not until after reputations are tarnished or ruined by complaining

Advice to Senior ManagementGary has things on the right track and is very practical. Seems to have eliminated most of Splinter's bad hires and promotions. Stock price is up which reflects the impact of Gary's leadership.

Amat

Purchasing Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsTelecommute, challenging environment, relaxed dress code and culture in Austin as compared to scla

ConsVolatile, competitive and very engineering focused.

It was okay,just can't figure out why they don't hire on experienced contractors,instead they let them go.

Engineering Technician (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsLots of hours, great pay as a contractor due to all the over time.

ConsManagement doesn't really interact with individual technicians, worked there for a whole year and saw the Manager of my department at least 3 times a week and he had no idea who I was or anyone except people that had been there for decades.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract with your employees. Show them you care, I get that contractors come and go at applied but not every contractor is just there for a paycheck. A lot of contractors there come in on weekends on very short notice, work the long hours to get through the quarter because they want to be there and earn a spot full time. Talk to your contractors,get to know them, make them feel like part of the team. Not just another number.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Product Line Manager

Global Product Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFlexible working schedule, benefits, technology leadership in many areas.

ConsLimited personal growth, middle management needs to be changed, leadership capabilities have yet to be proven.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management is stale. Need change within Director and Senior Director ranks. To many VPs.

Growth with Top Heavy management

PM (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsOpportunities to work in different functions, good salary, good benefits.

ConsPoor recognition, top heavy management, bureaucratic

Advice to Senior ManagementAnalyze the number of senior managers and directors across the company. There are many dedicated employees that deserve raises and promotions.

it has been a nice run

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Prosthe people and friendships made over the years

Consno work life balance, unrealistic expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach when it comes to ethics and mutul trust and respect

Low work-life balance but lots of opportunities of growth

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsLots of opportunities for growth and skills; good people to work with;

ConsCompany has been going thru reorgs and layoffs; bonus structure is not upto mark; overworked employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees who are overworked

Going downhill unless you're an engineer and/or a Sr. Manager and above... even that is questionable.

Finance Analyst (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsBecause of constant turnover, positions seem readily available. They offer rotation if you find yourself in an undesirable position. Hight potential if you move to California.

ConsVery flat Finance organization, compensation awards just got taken away making morale lowe. GIS department is horrible to work with. The systems are antiquated and the solution is to burden the employees with busy work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTaking away employee stock grants was a big miss. Competition for work force in our profession is not industry specific. Those that can leave will.

Extremely dynamic, customer and build changes daily

Production Planner (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat team members and dedicated people.

ConsHires too many contractors. Should be hiring RFT's in order to get the best results from employee's.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring contractors to save money. You will get more results and dedication from the employees that are hire as RFT's. Hard to put your heart and soul into a job that you know is temporary and then wait 90 days before you can be hired on again. By that time you have already got someone to replace the contractor and have to waste valuable time training and re-training. Also, all the product knowledge needs to be learned all over again.

Large, fast-changing company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsApplied is a large, global technology and manufacturing company. Many opportunities exist within technology, engineering, operations, and manufacturing. Compensation tends to be very competitive.

ConsGrowth has been within existing markets as well as through acquisition of smaller companies. As a result, the organization is very matrixed. In some parts of the company, it can be difficult to have a clear understanding of the proper peers and stakeholders.

As part of the semiconductor and high-tech industries, Applied is subject to large business cycle shifts up and down. This can lead to quick changes in operational mentality and organization structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementApplied is in the middle of a multi-year merger with some of its largest competitors. The merger of global employees and cultures is a major endeavor. Applied should take care to keep communicating and make sure employees understand their role in the transitional and long-term organizations.

Worked for Applied Materials? Contribute to the Community!