Applied Materials

Applied Materials Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Applied Materials CEO & President Gary Dickerson

Gary Dickerson

Pros
  • Decent compensation packages and work life balance(in 22 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent location, free water from the water fountain(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge, depending on the job function(in 36 reviews)

• The only way to get a promotion is to fake working long hours(in 25 reviews)

Not the most ambitious people but not horrible either

Technical Product Support Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGood starting point for a career, not the best pay but people are nice and friendly

ConsHaven't been here long enough yet to know much but lame cafeteria and work environment?

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to be more ambitious (and why would you not be?) then you need to provide a nice work environment and hire aggressively

Great Company but Too Big to make a difference in.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat products, New Technology and with Tel merger will be the only real powerhouse left in play.

ConsRun by so many people who 'Know it all' yet really don't have it down as well as they think they do. Higher ups get caught too much in their own "Hype". Pure Chaos most of the time and out of control much of the time. Some crucial processes and fundamentals are non existent leaving one to wonder how AMAT actually got to be a multi billion dollar company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what REALLY matters and the people making things happen. Don't believe and drink too much of the 'Koolaid" that you are making...It's no all of what you saying it really is....

Opportunity to Change Jobs

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsApplied is a very big company, with global presence. So there are plenty of opportunities to change job functions and even locations. Thus one can learn in a lot of new areas.
    The company tries to listen to employee feedback surveys; lots of training classes available in house for personal growth

ConsToo much management change. Work-life balance can be a challenge, depending on the job function.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Prosdynamic, world-wide opportunity, coworking with people internationally.

Consbureaucratic, due to the large size, less challenging, less creative work environment

Advice to Senior Managementnot all people can be good managers. Need continuous reality check of management skills and room for improvement

Great Company, Upward Trend

Process Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsVery motivating environment, intelligent people, cutting edge-technology. Very competitive salary and benefits, very great chances for personal improvement and evaluation.

ConsDays could get long and stressful. As with all large companies a lot of bureaucracy is involved, could take a while for decisions or turnover. Project management and project staff should work better in maintaining project workflow.

Etch Division lack of equality and cronyism

Mechanical Engineer IV (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsMy work was interesting and stimulating, but has become more of a drag lately.

ConsThis division has been taken over by staff from an infamous failed startup. Most of the original experienced AMAT engineers have left or have been squeezed out, and replaced their ex colleagues, in many cases with less experience, in higher positions, and very likely MUCH higher salaries.
    I've been a professional engineer for 30 years and with AMAT for over 15 years, earning several performance awards and always had great performance reviews and have heard that some of these new engineers, with much less experience, and hired at the same grade as me, are being paid up to 20% more than me.
    It's a toxic environment which is only going to get worse.
    Me, and many of my colleagues are preparing their exit strategies.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something about the rampant cronyism and lack of equality.

Great Pay Little Say

Customer Engineer IV (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a great place to work if one likes tackling the awesome technology behind the scenes that is used to create the processors, memory and other electronics needed in our everyday lives.
    Applied Materials is a leader in their market, and the equipment produced are state-of-the-art. This company is an excellent choice for ex-military to get their feet wet in the civilian world.

ConsToo Big... especially if one starts in Service Accounts. I believe this company to be an exceptional place to work if one is in R&D, Sales, or HR. Although the salaries are okay in customer service engineering, there is very little room for upward mobility, and politics are weighed too heavily; more so than results. For those energetic military guys I encouraged above, your five year plan should include leaving if you want to move upward in a company; stick to your guns, because the salary can be very comfortable, with the caveat that 10-15 years down the road you may realize that you should have moved on and that the money is no longer worth it. If you have not moved up considerably after 5 years, consider changing companies/industries.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe middle and lower management are affecting the bottom line of the organization through poor leadership decisions. Showing favoritism to, and covering up mistakes of, some CEs when they damage machines, negatively impact customer manufacturing processes, or damage costumer product due to poor decision making, is not conducive to effective root cause analyses, FMEA or, more importantly, the relationship with the customer. When an EIC or Supervisor prefer to lie to the customer about a machine that a CE damages, and "create" the illusion that the machine was at fault, neither the customer nor AMAT wins. AMAT needs to mix it up a bit, and hire more supervisors from outside the company that do not have close personal friendships with subordinates. The current trend to promote primarily from within creates an environment whereby some CEs are favored more than others, and that can negatively affect morale as well.

Great to see new leadership - but bureaucracy still hampers success

Human Resources Leader (Former Employee)

ProsHave to pay well in order to keep people

Consbureaucracy here makes the federal government look lean. Good ideas often wet with sayings like: Great idea but hard to turn an oil freighter or it is not worth trying to stop a bus

Advice to Senior ManagementStop adding Senior Management, follow through on eliminating duplication and waste at the 7 levels of VP

Good company

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosgood people, loved coworkers, lots to learn

Constoo many layoffs all the time

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to manage headcount more effectively

Cheap, cheap, cheap

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, decent location, free water from the water fountain

ConsDirty offices, broken furniture, substandard equipment, employees are worker bee types who won't complain yet act miserable. No innovation or progressive thinking here - even the coffee is cheap and tasteless. Barbaric!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the 90s

Worked for Applied Materials? Contribute to the Community!