Applied Materials

Applied Materials Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Applied Materials CEO & President Gary Dickerson

Gary Dickerson

Pros
  • Decent compensation packages and work life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent location, free water from the water fountain (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge, depending on the job function (in 36 reviews)

• The only way to get a promotion is to fake working long hours (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

It was okay,just can't figure out why they don't hire on experienced contractors,instead they let them go.

Engineering Technician (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsLots of hours, great pay as a contractor due to all the over time.

ConsManagement doesn't really interact with individual technicians, worked there for a whole year and saw the Manager of my department at least 3 times a week and he had no idea who I was or anyone except people that had been there for decades.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract with your employees. Show them you care, I get that contractors come and go at applied but not every contractor is just there for a paycheck. A lot of contractors there come in on weekends on very short notice, work the long hours to get through the quarter because they want to be there and earn a spot full time. Talk to your contractors,get to know them, make them feel like part of the team. Not just another number.

Growth with Top Heavy management

PM (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsOpportunities to work in different functions, good salary, good benefits.

ConsPoor recognition, top heavy management, bureaucratic

Advice to Senior ManagementAnalyze the number of senior managers and directors across the company. There are many dedicated employees that deserve raises and promotions.

Challenging Work

Customer Engineer IV (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsThere are many different technologies to work with, each providing their own challenges. There is plenty of opportunities to be innovative and to be recognized for your hard work.

ConsWorld wide support makes collaboration difficult, time consuming, as emails are exchanged or participating in the midnight teleconference.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome groups are inherently more difficult to work in than others, therefore pay should not be simply determined by rank/rating but also include a disfunctionality coefficient.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Acquired by Applied

ProsCompensation Values Market Leader New Exec Mgmt

ConsBureaucratic Political and too many double and triple checkers and manual reporting

Advice to Senior ManagementMerging with TEL is too much to absorb at this time

Brilliant people everywhere - but politics rule

Analyst (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThere are an astounding number of extremely smart and well-educated employees at Applied Materials (PhDs are everywhere). Flexible work environment as long as work is done. Big focus on R&D means budgets for engineers are prioritized.

ConsPolitics and silos are very strong.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to people on the "other side" as they have alot to offer. Do not simply rely on outside hires from competitors, there is alot of talent already here.

Good technology, but a big company with a lot of politics.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood bonus structure. good technology.

Consslow decision making and overly political. not a meritocracy.

Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTeam was proactive in taking projects and keeping the work environment friendly as well as professional.

ConsManagement at some teams was not involved with the team members which left the employees on the threshold on choosing their project with no management overlooking as well as no feedback or consideration from the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet invloved with the your team.

Excellence Workplace environment

SAP Consultant (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Proswork-life balance, training, workflow needs

Consbenefits, too fast paced for those that cant hang

Advice to Senior ManagementYou know what to do

Excellent company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros1. Challenging work environment. 2. Excellent pay and benefits. 3. Great co-workers. 4. Lot's of opportunity.

Cons1. Very high expectations lead to tough work/life balance. 2. A few managers play favorites.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely at locations with high turn over and honestly assess the causes.

Focus on the bottom line over regard for employee contributions and loyalty.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Gloucester, MA

ProsAMAT does supply significant funds towards education and training opportunities. Since this is a global company, management will support travel, when needed for project meetings. Since they are such a large company, they are poised to weather small downturns in a historically turbulent semi-conductor industry.

ConsIt appears this company has very little regard for employee loyalty and longevity. They acquired a smaller company based in Gloucester, MA and after using the legacy staff to coordinate a 1+ year long integration project, they systematically laid off a large percentage of the staff, replacing them with contractors and\or outsource staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the most important resource (your employees) as a valuable asset rather than a disposable one.

Worked for Applied Materials? Contribute to the Community!