Applied Medical

Be The First To
Add Photos

Applied Medical President Said S Hilal

Said S Hilal

Pros:
  • "Great place for young engineers to be exposed to many different manufacturing processes, Great work life balance"
    in 7 reviews
  • "not a stressful work environment"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "LOW pay - Not many people stay after a few years due to the pay"
    in 7 reviews
  • "I was hired with a lower than industry salary, with the promise of good raises and promotions"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great internship exerience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Applied Medical full-time for less than a year

ProsA lot of young Managers
A lot of young workers
intern lunches every Monday
fancy coffee machines at certain buildings
nice rooms for meetings

Conssalary seems a little low for an entry level, however it seems like there are occasional bonuses.
a lot of different buildings so expecting a lot of walking if you have to work and collaborate with another employee in a different building

Advice to Senior Managementhave a more competitive salary to keep talented people

Good place to start

Territory Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Applied Medical full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe technology from Applied Medical is very good and their current market share of trocars reflects that. Not sure if they overtook Ethicon but they are close. Worked with some fantastic people who are truly dedicated to sharing the Applied story.

ConsLeadership is subpar and pay is well below average for any device sales job. Both are significant factors to an ever increasing turnover at Applied. Middle management attempts to gain support for company objectives through motivational speeches but that's as far as it goes. They lack any clinical knowledge of the products and I would have no faith in letting them into an account to cover a case if it every arose.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying your employees instead of low-balling them on salary. Lastly, managing through fear gets you nowhere.

Great first job

Process Development Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Applied Medical full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat first job, lots of opportunities to learn and develop as a new engineer. Friendly, positive, open-door culture and great employees.
Great culture, community outreach, and location.

ConsLower pay for industry, poor benefits, no employer investment/support in employee's professional development. Unclear management policies and rumors of nepotism aren't out of the blue.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow us you are committed to developing your team members.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rules change constantly, here today, gone tomorrow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Applied Medical for more than 3 years

ProsGreat ideas, innovative products, good place to get a start

ConsFamily run private company. No communication. Good ol' boy network very strong. Many US Surgical ex's. People here today, gone tomorrow. Most let go without warning. Middle management a revolving door. Sales programs change quarterly. Many promises (stock, commissions, etc) few realities. HR non-existant

Advice to Senior ManagementClear out the level below you. Bring in diverse managers with fresh ideas. Break up the country club.

Great company, but compensation needs to be increased

Process Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Applied Medical full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSpring board company (exposed to many manufacturing processes), young culture

Consbase compensation should be increased. Cost of living in the area is too expensive.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good place for a first time job

Process Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Applied Medical as an intern

Pros-Great people
-Good culture
-Great working environment

Cons-Mediocre work
-Work will get boring after 6 months
-Have to be family in order to advance
-Favoritism
-Lots of writing for an engineering company

Advice to Senior Management-Be more honest with pay

You can be fired without having any idea of why

Director of R and D (Former Employee)

I worked at Applied Medical full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place for young engineers to be exposed to many different manufacturing processes, Great work life balance. Great place to be involved in all aspects of your project, big and small.

ConsManagers don't communicate expectations or offer feedback. Very juvenile work environment, many minutes of meetings are spent talking about others. Super high turnover for many reasons. Many people come here, because they cant find work elsewhere, then after two years of experience leave to find better pay. Its not what you know, its who you know at this place. Not all is bad, there are some good folks here but culture is not what CEO preaches.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because someone is a family member or you like them doesn't mean they are a good manager. Your upper management should receive training in managing people. People are what is going to make or break your growth plans, they should not be treated as disposable.
Leadership workshops should explore managing people as well as situations.

Really good for internship, get to learn a lot.

Intern (Former Employee)
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

I worked at Applied Medical as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat people, great product portfolio, a lot of work to do,

ConsPay is really less for Masters students, prevalent nepotism, some policies seem out of place.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire in a proper fashion, increase the pay to atleast current market level.

Worst of the worst

Machinist (Former Employee)
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

I worked at Applied Medical full-time for more than a year

ProsAbsolutely nothing , absolutely nothing, except the peasants that you work with, pay raises, room for advancement don't exist . The place is one big burn out.

ConsWhere do I begin? What a hell hole it is. They brag about large bonuses, but if you called in sick they hold it against you, I was told about $2000 to $3000 twice a year., hasn't happened yet, everyone in our building used their sick time and got the shaft we all got between $300 to $700. The unskilled Asians who work 20 hrs a day with what ever disease they have got big fat bonuses. They want people there 12 hours a day and don't want to hear excuses, they say if you need a raise work more hours. If you are a skilled tradesman do not consider this place. Managers are more interested in hitting their quota for their large bonuses. Only a couple of them ever manufactured anything. They love their dog and pony shows, you feel like animals at the zoo on display. Manager sit in their offices on computers watch every move you do because they have a camera every five feet in the shop.
No food, no water, no coffee no nothing at your work station, they don't care if you dehydrated or not. Absolutely no talking, just a nod will do.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will never get any skilled labor at the wages you give. Stop being so anal retentant and be more enjoyable to work with, stop showing off your title by walking around like your bowels don't reek

Lots of hidden information!

I have been working at Applied Medical full-time

ProsGood idea for for success

ConsLots of information and plans seem to be hidden unless you are allowed into the conversation.

Worked for Applied Medical? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Applied Medical reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Applied Medical CEO Said S Hilal. All 56 reviews posted anonymously by Applied Medical employees.