Applied Predictive Technologies

Updated October 28, 2014
4.8

Applied Predictive Technologies CEO Anthony Bruce
Anthony Bruce

Pros
  • Superior compensation and benefits (in 5 reviews)

• A very intellectually stimulating work environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Occasional long hours -- mostly caused by consistently huge year-over-year growth (in 10 reviews)

• Hours can be long, but the work is rewarding (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great learning environment and exciting work

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

APT offers great working environment: extremely smart colleagues, challenging tasks, and plenty of client exposure. You get to tackle difficult business questions and drive major analyses within your first month at the job. Senior members of your teams are always available to give you support and guidance, but at the same time let you work independently. Overall, it has been an amazing experience.

Cons

As you are part of multiple teams at the same time, it is often tough to prioritize your work, and you sometimes have to work for long hours to meet deadlines.

This is a perfect learning opportunity for a first job out of college.

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Arlington, VA

Pros

1. While there's no cookie-cutter employee, people are APT are incredibly smart, driven, and fun. I've really enjoyed getting to know my coworkers.
    2. There is a very collaborative and flat work environment. It is perfectly acceptable and encouraged for the lowest experienced Consultant to speak up and contribute on how to handle any matter with the client.
    3. Every day is demanding, and the work is incredibly diverse - no two days are the same! Because client services work for several clients at once, one could be working on data management, strategic planning, and in-depth analysis all in the same day for different clients.
    4. There is extensive training and mentoring built into the structure of APT. More importantly, there is organic professional development that naturally occurs when one is surrounded by top talent.
    5. Travel is interesting but not over-bearing. Consultants typically travel no more than once a week for a day trip to a client.
    6. The compensation and benefits are top-notch for the industry.

Cons

1. Occasionally, client schedules don't line up in one's favor, and there can be some longer weeks. There is quite a bit of flexibility, however, in how many projects one takes on and how often those busier weeks add up.
    2. As the office grows, it will become increasingly hard to continue the start-up culture. That said, employees have been very pro-active about maintaining the close ties that existed when the company was much smaller.

Keep it up! Don't lose sight of the amazing space you've created thus far.

Amazing way to begin a career in software engineering

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding, intelligent, polite co-workers to learn from; the learning never stops.
    Plentiful opportunities to grow professionally and gain important responsibilities early on.
    Incredible social atmosphere - your co-workers will quickly become some of your closest friends.
    Everyone can find their technological niche and contribute to challenging problems within it.
    Really responsive and intelligent leadership, especially in engineering; the laissez-faire team structure is great.
    Feels pretty impactful when you can see features you've worked on enabling client analyses which in turn inform huge corporate decisions.

Cons

Not really a 9-5 kind of place; the culture is very hardworking. Nonetheless, it never burns you out - people generally only work hard because they are driven and enjoy the work.
    The smaller user-base can sometimes leave you with a thirst for consumer-facing product development.

First full-time job, incredbly satisfied

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

Pros

The people are engaging and smart, always available to answer the many questions that I have and are fun to hang out with outside of the workplace. Far and beyond better than past SE internships and experiences I have had as far as the overall working experience. Working on a product that dozens of high-profile retailers/restaurants/companies use daily is rewarding and something that is very hard to find elsewhere. I really do love coming into work everyday which I thought I would never say.

Cons

So much to learn because the code base is extensive that it is a little overwhelming at times, constant bombardment of new information.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

Pros

Flexibility , inputs and ideas are valued.
    Lot of efforts are put into recruiting esp on-campus recruiting
    Mid-Size company allows you to work alongside with senior members, VPs

Cons

Not really much to say here. APT is rapidly growing and trying to preserve the great culture at APT

APT offers a fantastic culture and excellent benefits along with interesting but demanding work.

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Arlington, VA

Pros

APT treats its employees very well. It is obvious that the management cares about its employees and makes an effort to keep them happy. Everyone at the company is very bright and the work and atmosphere are both very stimulating.

Cons

The hours can be steep, but that is typical of companies in consulting. Travel varies a lot by team and client, but many employees at upper levels of the client service team travel to multiple locations every single week.

As APT grows, the management should make every effort to maintain the excellent culture that APT has. I enjoy knowing every face in the office and having the opportunity to interact with people across a variety of roles every day.

Business Consultant in Washington, DC

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Arlington, VA

Pros

APT is a fantastic place to start a career with stimulating work, great opportunities for professional development, above-market pay, generous benefits, and an amazing company culture. Office perks (fully-stocked kitchen, happy hours, milkshake machine) are a nice bonus.

Cons

Hours can be long, but hard work is definitely rewarded with rapid professional growth.

Working on multiple client teams simultaneously can also be challenging as team leads have high expectations, but team members are pretty good about recognizing demands from other teams.

Keep up the great work and try to keep the fantastic company culture as APT continues to grow!

I love the work I do and the people I work with.

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Arlington, VA

Pros

I chose to work for APT for four key reasons and after reflecting over my first two years, it looks like I made the right choice:
    (1) The office culture. I love the relaxed atmosphere of the office. Everyone works hard, but being able to wear a tshirt and shorts to work, having an awesome game room with video games, ping pong and foosball to play, and the general attitude of my fellow employees make it a great place to work.
    (2) The variety of work. Given our business model, I can work on upwards of 6 client teams at once. This has allowed me to work across a lot of industries and learn a lot in the process.
    (3) The travel or lack thereof. Business consultants at a lot of other companies live out of a suitcase 4 days a week. A typical business consultant at APT travels 2-4 days a month. Actually living in the city I live in is a huge plus.
    (4) A very flat hierarchy. As a new hire right out of college, I was meeting with Senior Vice Presidents to discuss analyses and I really felt I was making an impact right away.

Cons

Sometimes the hours our a little long when compared a 9-5. However, compared to business consultants at other companies (like the big 3), we work much less.

Make sure to maintain the office culture and flat hierarchy as much as possible. It is a huge differentiator for us as a company.

Long time APT Client Services Employee

Current Employee - Vice President, Client Services in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President, Client Services in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Lots of responsibility, career growth, and opportunities to be mentored by very capable people
    -Interesting challenges, and opportunities to engage in quantitative/analytic thinking
    -Well run company
    -Positive work environment and culture. Colleagues are generally very capable, yet modest.
    -Successful company, continuing to grow

Cons

-Need to be willing to put in flexible hours
    -Senior client services team members travel frequently

Keep it up, APT is a great place to work. I think our biggest challenge will be to maintain APT's culture as the company continues to grow.

Applied Predictive Technologies Response

Jul 21, 2014Senior Vice President, HR and Marketing

Thank you for the review. We love hearing from long-time employees and are thrilled about how many people choose to stay at APT for 5+, 7+, 10+ years! Maintaining our culture is a top priority as ... More

Great Culture, Rapidly Growing with Lots of Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time

Pros

People are friendly, collaborative and really smart.
    No politics.
    Clients love APT making it rewarding to work with them.
    Rapidly growing so lots of opportunity - in particular as we grow there are chances to contribute to opening an office in new geography for APT or to contribute to building a business in new industry for the company which translates to a lot of career growth
    Focus on giving back to the community through APT Charities, and data-dives is a recent positive as well

Cons

The work is consuming so if you want a 9-5 job job, this isn't it

Keep the great culture even as we grow

Applied Predictive Technologies Photos