Applied Predictive Technologies

Updated October 28, 2014
4.8

Applied Predictive Technologies CEO Anthony Bruce
Anthony Bruce

Pros
  • Superior compensation and benefits (in 5 reviews)

• A very intellectually stimulating work environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Occasional long hours -- mostly caused by consistently huge year-over-year growth (in 10 reviews)

• Hours can be long, but the work is rewarding (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a perfect learning opportunity for a first job out of college.

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. While there's no cookie-cutter employee, people are APT are incredibly smart, driven, and fun. I've really enjoyed getting to know my coworkers.
    2. There is a very collaborative and flat work environment. It is perfectly acceptable and encouraged for the lowest experienced Consultant to speak up and contribute on how to handle any matter with the client.
    3. Every day is demanding, and the work is incredibly diverse - no two days are the same! Because client services work for several clients at once, one could be working on data management, strategic planning, and in-depth analysis all in the same day for different clients.
    4. There is extensive training and mentoring built into the structure of APT. More importantly, there is organic professional development that naturally occurs when one is surrounded by top talent.
    5. Travel is interesting but not over-bearing. Consultants typically travel no more than once a week for a day trip to a client.
    6. The compensation and benefits are top-notch for the industry.

Cons

1. Occasionally, client schedules don't line up in one's favor, and there can be some longer weeks. There is quite a bit of flexibility, however, in how many projects one takes on and how often those busier weeks add up.
    2. As the office grows, it will become increasingly hard to continue the start-up culture. That said, employees have been very pro-active about maintaining the close ties that existed when the company was much smaller.

Keep it up! Don't lose sight of the amazing space you've created thus far.

Great learning environment and exciting work

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Arlington, VA

Pros

APT offers great working environment: extremely smart colleagues, challenging tasks, and plenty of client exposure. You get to tackle difficult business questions and drive major analyses within your first month at the job. Senior members of your teams are always available to give you support and guidance, but at the same time let you work independently. Overall, it has been an amazing experience.

Cons

As you are part of multiple teams at the same time, it is often tough to prioritize your work, and you sometimes have to work for long hours to meet deadlines.

Incredibly smart people committed to driving value through consulting and analytics

Current Employee - Business Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The office culture is excellent, with a lot of emphasis on mentorship and maintaining a work-life balance. Colleagues and peers are truly friendly, yet also very professional. Most everyone is highly intellectual, honest, articulate, with very high standards for integrity and analytical rigor. The work is satisfying, in that we drive a lot of client value and build meaningful relationships very quickly.

Cons

Hours are occasionally long, a function of the company's rapid growth in recent years. The learning curve can be steep, but there's a wealth of training and guidance to be had from everyone in the office.

Great place to work and to learn!

Current Employee - Business Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

To me, people are the most important aspect of a company. The people are really friendly and super smart! You'll find that your colleagues come from nearly all walks of life, and are more than willing to help you out if you're lost. As a new employee, I find that to be extraordinarily valuable. It's a very flat organization - I'm comfortable asking dumb questions to people much, much more senior than I am, and they encourage me to do so. Because everyone is from such different backgrounds, you get to pick up so many more perspectives than you would at most other firms. Also, people are happy to give you feedback whenever you ask for it, which I think is pretty awesome! I don't need to wait for some sort of annual review to know what I'm doing well, and what I can improve.

The office culture is really laid back. Sure, you're expected to accomplish your tasks - as in any other company! However, no one minds how you get there. Whether you want to take a walk in the middle of the day, or eat some snacks, or play foosball, or chat with others, you have the freedom to do so, and that freedom is liberating.

The work is meaningful - we work with clients to help them run their businesses better, and it's somewhat mind-boggling that as a new hire, I can already make a tangible business impact. You get a lot of ownership here; you're placed in charge of key analyses and key client relationships almost right off the bat, and people trust you. It definitely sounds a little overwhelming at first, but as I said before, people here are really friendly. You'll find all the support you need to take ownership of those key analyses and relationships.

The pay is awesome, and the benefits rock! You also get to work across a variety of clients, which means that you get to expand your knowledge across multiple industries at once. I feel like the company really does care about its people, and that entry-level employees are empowered to an amazing degree.

Cons

You definitely need to be comfortable with a steep learning curve. There's a lot you learn as a new hire: how to interpret analyses, how to operate the software, what the math behind the software is, how to use coding on the back end, how to work with clients, what the client's business model is, who the key contacts are, how to present, etc. Many of these things aren't taught in school!

I personally love being challenged on a daily basis, but it can lead to burnout if you're not careful. One of the hardest things to do is to pace yourself - since people trust you so much, you're trying to do a ton of things at once. Also, you're not going to be the smartest gal or guy in the room. Experience plays a huge role in how much you know, and it can be somewhat frustrating to know that you know so little and have so much farther to go.

There's definitely a perception that some projects are more important than others, which can lead to rivalries or jealousy. It would be nice to set our expectations right off the bat of which corporate objectives are most important, and how we can move towards those in our daily work.

You are going to learn a lot!

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time

Pros

APT challenges its employees everyday. There is never a dull moment at work. APT definitely appeals to those who do not like doing tedious busy-work.
    Company has a mature business structure with a young spirit.
    APT gives employees exposure to a variety of clients, from restauruant to retail to hospitality and more.

Cons

Throw you in the water right away, so if you can't learn fast, may not be good for you.
    So much is expected of the employees, from data management to analysis to client services, that sometimes you go days without doing the part of work that interests you most (which is different for each employee anyway)

Amazing way to begin a career in software engineering

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding, intelligent, polite co-workers to learn from; the learning never stops.
    Plentiful opportunities to grow professionally and gain important responsibilities early on.
    Incredible social atmosphere - your co-workers will quickly become some of your closest friends.
    Everyone can find their technological niche and contribute to challenging problems within it.
    Really responsive and intelligent leadership, especially in engineering; the laissez-faire team structure is great.
    Feels pretty impactful when you can see features you've worked on enabling client analyses which in turn inform huge corporate decisions.

Cons

Not really a 9-5 kind of place; the culture is very hardworking. Nonetheless, it never burns you out - people generally only work hard because they are driven and enjoy the work.
    The smaller user-base can sometimes leave you with a thirst for consumer-facing product development.

Fast paced career at a growing company

Current Employee - Engagement Manager
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time

Pros

Spent some time discussing APT with friends that have gone to big three consulting and bulge bracket banks, and there are three Pros about APT that stand out: 1) Working for a growing company (You grow with the firm) 2) Working across industries (I came out of undergrad wanting to get industry experience, you see so many challenging questions that I don't think there is another role where you can learn more quicker) 3) Great people (people at APT are hard working but very conscious of you goals and overall happiness)

Cons

Company is growing and teams are small, which means you will have to put in more hours at times

First full-time job, incredbly satisfied

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

Pros

The people are engaging and smart, always available to answer the many questions that I have and are fun to hang out with outside of the workplace. Far and beyond better than past SE internships and experiences I have had as far as the overall working experience. Working on a product that dozens of high-profile retailers/restaurants/companies use daily is rewarding and something that is very hard to find elsewhere. I really do love coming into work everyday which I thought I would never say.

Cons

So much to learn because the code base is extensive that it is a little overwhelming at times, constant bombardment of new information.

Business Consultant

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

You are constantly surrounded by incredibly smart and talented people and are given ownership of projects from the start. It's a very collaborative culture and everyone is always willing to stop what they're working on to help whenever you have a question.

Cons

When projects are in the middle of a really busy period the hours can be long, but it is pretty consistent with what all my friends at other consulting companies are used to.

APT is a great place to be a software engineer if you are motivated and appreciate technical challenges

Current Employee - Front-end Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Front-end Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

APT empowers me to work on what I'm passionate about, and enables me to have a huge impact. The people I work with are awesome, fun, and extremely intelligent. It is a great environment for personal growth.

Cons

As we grow, there is a greater separation between the product and consulting branches.

Applied Predictive Technologies Photos