Applied Systems

Applied Systems Reviews

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Applied Systems CEO Reid French

Reid French

Pros:
  • "Comfortable workplace, friendly employees,relaxed dress code, shorts and gym shoes on Friday, bagels on Tuesday, popcorn on Friday"
    in 6 reviews
  • "It is a good place to learn, and grow your career"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "You will see half of new hires to not make it much past their first year"
    in 8 reviews
  • "All of upper management has all been there for like 20 years and they're very set in their ways"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Expanding Company with Friendly People

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible Hours, Good Health Care, Birtday Off

ConsToo Many Layers to get project done for smaller items. Need better communication tools

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement Skills are more then being the one with the best technology

The corporate grown-up version of kindergarten

University Park, IL

Pros1) You can enjoy a very flexible schedule if you are in the right department (not support or sysops). 2) Really good sense of community within departments/teams, my teammates were all my friends basically. We'd go to lunch regularly and sometimes go out for drinks after work. 3) Puffed job titles look great on your resume.

Cons1) Salaries are about 40-50% below what you would expect and are really only acceptable for recent college grads or as a stepping stone to a serious job elsewhere. 2) Dealing with people who can't do their job properly. Not everyone was bad at their job, but enough of them were that it made coming into work pretty painful.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more, attract better employees, and keep your best people. Your core values are a joke. Was it opposite day when those were drafted? Anyone exceptional will not be fine with the pay for very long and your best people will find their way out, while the incapable/lazy people hiding in their cubes will stay because they know they'd never make it a month anywhere else or that they'd actually have to work if they did go somewhere else and that they are incredibly lucky to even have found a place where no one calls them out on being awful.

Just a go between

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou can get your foot in the door at an entry level company. After a short time, it looks good on your resume. Time off and benefits are decent. They are constantly remodeling (new bathrooms, new coffee stations, new paint, new chairs).

ConsSalary is entry level. Very low. No room to advance. So many managers that there are no policies in place because they all decide to do what they want. Heard colleagues call it "Appliedified" because it's how "Applied does it".

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone can't be in charge.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    University Park, IL

ProsComfortable workplace, friendly employees,relaxed dress code, shorts and gym shoes on Friday, bagels on Tuesday, popcorn on Friday. I have been here for about three weeks and I already have learned a lot. So far I would say it is an excellent place to gain experience. You can come in at whatever time you would like, within reason. As an intern, as long as you work for 8 hours you can come in at 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, whenever, which is great if you have a long commute.

ConsLess pay then other companies may be offering.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employees in order have more great long term employees you can rely on to get the job done.

A good place to work

Private (Current Employee)
    University Park, IL

ProsA lot of people come and learn a lot. A lot of people come and stay a long time. The atmosphere is friendly and has a lot of good people working here. Benefits and vacation policy is good.

ConsFor the technical person, there is a great career path. That is the main part of the business. For the non-technical positions, not so much.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget the employees, especially the long term ones who have put a lot of their lives into this company.

Happily Gone

University Park, IL

Pros-I gained a great deal of experience working in this position.
    -The team I worked on was like a second family, and I very much enjoyed the camaraderie.

Cons-Even my supervisor didn't know what I did on a day to day basis.
    -The company threw around money on acquisitions and new VPs, but the average employee was not fairly compensated. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I had my first yearly review, and I was told I had only been working for 10 months and was ineligible for a raise because I was shy of being there for a year. This came after a glowing review, and I had already received a certificate signed by the CEO congratulating me on my first year.
    -The turnover was atrocious. In my first year, 50% of my team was turned over. To compound the matter, I was still treated like I didn't know what I was doing a year after I was hired. That being said, I was trusted to provide a significant amount of training to several new employees. The respect was so bad that my first supervisor was demoted and we were told that it was organic growth.
    -The infighting between departments is terrible. The project managers do not know much about data or technology, but have no problem demanding the impossible or impractical. The scope creep got so bad that any custom solution we provided to one client was expected of every project that followed.
    -The workload was very poorly managed. Some weeks I would be working on 3 or more projects while trying to provide help to the new hires, and other weeks I would be scrambling to find work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis would be difficult because there was no manager. We were overseen by a VP who neither had the time nor knowledge of operations to effectively manage us. If I had a manager, I would advise him or her to actually get to know what happens in the cubes and how out of control many of the workflows are. I know that I may not have been the best employee, but when I started I really wanted to work hard and learn a lot. However, the extra effort is not rewarded, and that creates a moral problem. This would be mitigated by a manager's intervention.

A software company that wants to be an insurance agency

University Park, IL

ProsOpportunity for people who've never worked in a technology company to get exposed to it

ConsEmployees were not respected by management

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some people with industry experience. Don't take employees for granted. Build relationships with customers - they aren't the enemy.

Good place to start... don't get stuck.

University Park, IL

ProsYou will work with some really great people. There's definitely a sense of camaraderie. The day-to-day is really easy. It's a very easy job and very comfortable and very close to home. It's really easy to get really comfortable here. The products are actually kind of cool and offer value to the clients. Support does a great job. It's really easy to get a job here and to "fluff" your resume to move on to bigger and better things. Good job for right out of college or for someone who didn't finish college. Very stable company--isn't going anywhere, job security.

ConsThe corporate culture blows. All of upper management has all been there for like 20 years and they're very set in their ways. They're stuck on stupid things that don't matter. They're more concerned with making sure everything is exactly "by the book" than on the actual service / value that is being provided to the clients. (I was reprimanded several times by several different managers for being 3 minutes late to my shift or for browsing the Internet....) Supervisors are more like "babysitters" and it seems like that's the directive they receive from up top. There is an overwhelming sense that employees are not valued. If you don't like it... you're replaceable...so deal with it or leave. DEFINITELY not a place for a GEN Y to make a career of.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees more. Let them know they matter. Focus on the bigger picture of a job well done and of end-results. Try harder to retain talent. It's practically unheard of for anyone on the products team (design, dev, etc.) to be there more than a handful of years...eventually this is going to catch up and begin to show in the quality of your products...

Great place to start, would highly recommend

University Park, IL

ProsFast-paced, lots of responsibility, very interesting work, never the same thing twice, custom work, little overhead

ConsLots of work, high pressure, frequent off hours work (since we took agencies offline so this minimized business impact)

Advice to Senior ManagementWith a proximity so close to Chicago, the pay needs to be far more competitive. We lost a lot of great team members to better paying jobs in the city and that was frustrating for both the former employees and the current.

Good starter job

University Park, IL

ProsRelaxed atmosphere, nice people, successful company. We get regular updates on the status of the company.

ConsLess than average pay, High turnover, many people act as if they hate it. Upper management is unclear on the direction they want the software going.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the teams be self managing.

Worked for Applied Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Applied Systems Videos

Applied Systems – Why Work for Us?

Applied is recognized as a pioneer in agency and broker management systems and data exchange between agencies, brokers, carriers and their clients. Our insurance software and data exchange technology have revolutionized… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Applied Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Applied Systems CEO Reid French. All 87 reviews posted anonymously by Applied Systems employees.