Applied Systems

Updated November 19, 2014
2.6

Applied Systems CEO Reid French
Reid French

Pros
  • Comfortable work environment, generally nice people (in 7 reviews)

• Comfortable workplace, friendly employees,relaxed dress code, shorts and gym shoes on Friday, bagels on Tuesday, popcorn on Friday (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Like everyone else said extremely low pay (in 8 reviews)

• You will see half of new hires to not make it much past their first year (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A good place to work

Current Employee - Private in University Park, IL
    Current Employee - Private in University Park, IL

I have been working at Applied Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of people come and learn a lot. A lot of people come and stay a long time. The atmosphere is friendly and has a lot of good people working here. Benefits and vacation policy is good.

Cons

For the technical person, there is a great career path. That is the main part of the business. For the non-technical positions, not so much.

Don't forget the employees, especially the long term ones who have put a lot of their lives into this company.

Good place to start... don't get stuck.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Park, IL

I worked at Applied Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will work with some really great people. There's definitely a sense of camaraderie. The day-to-day is really easy. It's a very easy job and very comfortable and very close to home. It's really easy to get really comfortable here. The products are actually kind of cool and offer value to the clients. Support does a great job. It's really easy to get a job here and to "fluff" your resume to move on to bigger and better things. Good job for right out of college or for someone who didn't finish college. Very stable company--isn't going anywhere, job security.

Cons

The corporate culture blows. All of upper management has all been there for like 20 years and they're very set in their ways. They're stuck on stupid things that don't matter. They're more concerned with making sure everything is exactly "by the book" than on the actual service / value that is being provided to the clients. (I was reprimanded several times by several different managers for being 3 minutes late to my shift or for browsing the Internet....) Supervisors are more like "babysitters" and it seems like that's the directive they receive from up top. There is an overwhelming sense that employees are not valued. If you don't like it... you're replaceable...so deal with it or leave. DEFINITELY not a place for a GEN Y to make a career of.

Value your employees more. Let them know they matter. Focus on the bigger picture of a job well done and of end-results. Try harder to retain talent. It's practically unheard of for anyone on the products team (design, dev, etc.) to be there more than a handful of years...eventually this is going to catch up and begin to show in the quality of your products...

Happily Gone

Former Employee - Data Analyst in University Park, IL

I worked at Applied Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-I gained a great deal of experience working in this position.
    -The team I worked on was like a second family, and I very much enjoyed the camaraderie.

Cons

-Even my supervisor didn't know what I did on a day to day basis.
    -The company threw around money on acquisitions and new VPs, but the average employee was not fairly compensated. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I had my first yearly review, and I was told I had only been working for 10 months and was ineligible for a raise because I was shy of being there for a year. This came after a glowing review, and I had already received a certificate signed by the CEO congratulating me on my first year.
    -The turnover was atrocious. In my first year, 50% of my team was turned over. To compound the matter, I was still treated like I didn't know what I was doing a year after I was hired. That being said, I was trusted to provide a significant amount of training to several new employees. The respect was so bad that my first supervisor was demoted and we were told that it was organic growth.
    -The infighting between departments is terrible. The project managers do not know much about data or technology, but have no problem demanding the impossible or impractical. The scope creep got so bad that any custom solution we provided to one client was expected of every project that followed.
    -The workload was very poorly managed. Some weeks I would be working on 3 or more projects while trying to provide help to the new hires, and other weeks I would be scrambling to find work.

This would be difficult because there was no manager. We were overseen by a VP who neither had the time nor knowledge of operations to effectively manage us. If I had a manager, I would advise him or her to actually get to know what happens in the cubes and how out of control many of the workflows are. I know that I may not have been the best employee, but when I started I really wanted to work hard and learn a lot. However, the extra effort is not rewarded, and that creates a moral problem. This would be mitigated by a manager's intervention.

A software company that wants to be an insurance agency

I worked at Applied Systems full-time

Pros

Opportunity for people who've never worked in a technology company to get exposed to it

Cons

Employees were not respected by management

Hire some people with industry experience. Don't take employees for granted. Build relationships with customers - they aren't the enemy.

Good starter job

I have been working at Applied Systems full-time

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, nice people, successful company. We get regular updates on the status of the company.

Cons

Less than average pay, High turnover, many people act as if they hate it. Upper management is unclear on the direction they want the software going.

Let the teams be self managing.

Great place to start, would highly recommend

Former Employee - Data Analyst in University Park, IL

I worked at Applied Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced, lots of responsibility, very interesting work, never the same thing twice, custom work, little overhead

Cons

Lots of work, high pressure, frequent off hours work (since we took agencies offline so this minimized business impact)

With a proximity so close to Chicago, the pay needs to be far more competitive. We lost a lot of great team members to better paying jobs in the city and that was frustrating for both the former employees and the current.

Overworked , Exhausted, Difficult to Succeed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Park, IL

I have been working at Applied Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn in a fast paced ever changing environment

Cons

High turnover, leading to overwhelming workload. Many (not all) Inexperienced, frustrated supervisors. Employee success or failure is a reflection of supervisor, manager and CEO.

Increase employee base. Since growth is a high priority, be prepared. Hire and develop good people - over staff if necessary due to turnover. provide the opportunity for team building, and thoroughly developed products.

Great while it lasted.

Former Employee - Trainer in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Trainer in Richmond, VA

I worked at Applied Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice intelligent people incompetent management

Cons

Organizational instability. The guy that hired me was fired 2 weeks later for "betrayal". I was laid off by telephone while waiting for a plane in Cincinnati- a totally not class act. My experience is being used in management classes in the South East about what not to do to an employee. Supervisor clearly hated managing people, was distant, and not forthcoming- as such she is still there, such is the political nature of the company. The company released Epic well before it was ready and here we are 4+ years later and it still isn't working properly. Giving away the product for free doesn't fix the problems.

Rethink the concept of service to the client. Remote online training simply doesn't cut it and your customers resent not being taken care of. Make Epic work properly, "this is a known issue" does nothing for the relationship with the client. There needs to be more authority for employees to take ownership of problems internally and externally. The "lean and mean machine" concept does not work with the client base which sells relationships- not insurance. The only reason the client base hasn't shrunk further than it has is that there is really nowhere to go now that Sagitta has been officially broken with recent "upgrades".

OK first job, not a career

Former Employee - Implementation Lead
    Former Employee - Implementation Lead

I worked at Applied Systems full-time

Pros

Bagel day, decent work/life balance, the people are nice. A lot of the supervisors try to support their employees. Casual dress code. Benefits are pretty good (vacation isn't though)

Cons

This company likes to pick up fresh grads, pay them next to nothing, and then give no raises. Out of the 5 years working there, I had two years with embarassingly low raises, two with no raise, and one job switch/promotion. I got sick of it and left.

People either stay 1-2 years to get a little experience and get out (resulting in a bad product since the work is constantly being done by green employees) or they stay forever and aren't particularly thrilled to be there either.

The first level of management tries to support you, but there are tons of layers of middle management and it's horrifying to see CEO cronies waltz in as SVPs when no one else sees a dime.

The access road is awful and has been for years, they promise every year it'll get fixed and nothing happens.

Fix that road, it's embarassing. Pay your employees more and your rapid turnover will improve.

Very good sales organization and process.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in University Park, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in University Park, IL

I worked at Applied Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great base salary.with strong compensation overall.

Cons

Not a lot of communication and hands on development from management.

Get more involved in the onboarding process.