Applied Systems

Updated September 29, 2014
2.5

Applied Systems CEO Reid French
Reid French

Pros
  • Comfortable workplace, friendly employees,relaxed dress code, shorts and gym shoes on Friday, bagels on Tuesday, popcorn on Friday (in 6 reviews)

• Applied has a lot of entry level opportunities for new college graduates (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Like everyone else said extremely low pay (in 8 reviews)

• You will see half of new hires to not make it much past their first year (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Happily Gone

I worked at Applied Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-I gained a great deal of experience working in this position.
    -The team I worked on was like a second family, and I very much enjoyed the camaraderie.

Cons

-Even my supervisor didn't know what I did on a day to day basis.
    -The company threw around money on acquisitions and new VPs, but the average employee was not fairly compensated. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I had my first yearly review, and I was told I had only been working for 10 months and was ineligible for a raise because I was shy of being there for a year. This came after a glowing review, and I had already received a certificate signed by the CEO congratulating me on my first year.
    -The turnover was atrocious. In my first year, 50% of my team was turned over. To compound the matter, I was still treated like I didn't know what I was doing a year after I was hired. That being said, I was trusted to provide a significant amount of training to several new employees. The respect was so bad that my first supervisor was demoted and we were told that it was organic growth.
    -The infighting between departments is terrible. The project managers do not know much about data or technology, but have no problem demanding the impossible or impractical. The scope creep got so bad that any custom solution we provided to one client was expected of every project that followed.
    -The workload was very poorly managed. Some weeks I would be working on 3 or more projects while trying to provide help to the new hires, and other weeks I would be scrambling to find work.

This would be difficult because there was no manager. We were overseen by a VP who neither had the time nor knowledge of operations to effectively manage us. If I had a manager, I would advise him or her to actually get to know what happens in the cubes and how out of control many of the workflows are. I know that I may not have been the best employee, but when I started I really wanted to work hard and learn a lot. However, the extra effort is not rewarded, and that creates a moral problem. This would be mitigated by a manager's intervention.

Great place to start, would highly recommend

Former Employee - Data Analyst in University Park, IL

I worked at Applied Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced, lots of responsibility, very interesting work, never the same thing twice, custom work, little overhead

Cons

Lots of work, high pressure, frequent off hours work (since we took agencies offline so this minimized business impact)

With a proximity so close to Chicago, the pay needs to be far more competitive. We lost a lot of great team members to better paying jobs in the city and that was frustrating for both the former employees and the current.

Good starter job

I have been working at Applied Systems full-time

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, nice people, successful company. We get regular updates on the status of the company.

Cons

Less than average pay, High turnover, many people act as if they hate it. Upper management is unclear on the direction they want the software going.

Let the teams be self managing.

Overworked , Exhausted, Difficult to Succeed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Park, IL

I have been working at Applied Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn in a fast paced ever changing environment

Cons

High turnover, leading to overwhelming workload. Many (not all) Inexperienced, frustrated supervisors. Employee success or failure is a reflection of supervisor, manager and CEO.

Increase employee base. Since growth is a high priority, be prepared. Hire and develop good people - over staff if necessary due to turnover. provide the opportunity for team building, and thoroughly developed products.

Very good sales organization and process.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in University Park, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in University Park, IL

I worked at Applied Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great base salary.with strong compensation overall.

Cons

Not a lot of communication and hands on development from management.

Get more involved in the onboarding process.

OK first job, not a career

Former Employee - Implementation Lead
    Former Employee - Implementation Lead

I worked at Applied Systems full-time

Pros

Bagel day, decent work/life balance, the people are nice. A lot of the supervisors try to support their employees. Casual dress code. Benefits are pretty good (vacation isn't though)

Cons

This company likes to pick up fresh grads, pay them next to nothing, and then give no raises. Out of the 5 years working there, I had two years with embarassingly low raises, two with no raise, and one job switch/promotion. I got sick of it and left.

People either stay 1-2 years to get a little experience and get out (resulting in a bad product since the work is constantly being done by green employees) or they stay forever and aren't particularly thrilled to be there either.

The first level of management tries to support you, but there are tons of layers of middle management and it's horrifying to see CEO cronies waltz in as SVPs when no one else sees a dime.

The access road is awful and has been for years, they promise every year it'll get fixed and nothing happens.

Fix that road, it's embarassing. Pay your employees more and your rapid turnover will improve.

Great while it lasted.

Former Employee - Trainer in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Trainer in Richmond, VA

I worked at Applied Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice intelligent people incompetent management

Cons

Organizational instability. The guy that hired me was fired 2 weeks later for "betrayal". I was laid off by telephone while waiting for a plane in Cincinnati- a totally not class act. My experience is being used in management classes in the South East about what not to do to an employee. Supervisor clearly hated managing people, was distant, and not forthcoming- as such she is still there, such is the political nature of the company. The company released Epic well before it was ready and here we are 4+ years later and it still isn't working properly. Giving away the product for free doesn't fix the problems.

Rethink the concept of service to the client. Remote online training simply doesn't cut it and your customers resent not being taken care of. Make Epic work properly, "this is a known issue" does nothing for the relationship with the client. There needs to be more authority for employees to take ownership of problems internally and externally. The "lean and mean machine" concept does not work with the client base which sells relationships- not insurance. The only reason the client base hasn't shrunk further than it has is that there is really nowhere to go now that Sagitta has been officially broken with recent "upgrades".

No potential for advancement

Current Employee - Support Technician in University Park, IL
    Current Employee - Support Technician in University Park, IL

I have been working at Applied Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good for recent college grads.

Cons

You will get tricked into thinking your hard work will advance you forward.

Start appreciating your employees. You have a lot of great employees that start off very excited to be part of your company and then after 2-3 years of spinning their wheels get told constantly that they need to do more and pile on more work for no compensation. It's a very disheartening company to work for in that your management teams tell your employees that they will have a future with this company, after they scoop up recent college grads that waste years of time going nowhere and not being able to support themselves or even dream of starting a family.

Former Developer

Former Employee - Associate Developer II in University Park, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Developer II in University Park, IL

I worked at Applied Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual dress, free bagels on Tuesday(Whoopie do) free coffee and nice walking path.

Cons

Where to start. The micro managing is ridiculous. They nit pick and find excuses to put you in various statuses when you make mistakes so you don't get a raise. How dare you be human. Oh and don't talk anyone, be a coding zombie. Sit and code for 8 hours and leave. I was hired to develop, nope after the 90 days of so called training I was put in an area were I had no experience. Boy what a mistake, promised training class, nope. Don't ask questions your bothering people. Make a mistake while trying to learn, that'll go against you. The data migration building is a warehouse, nice working environment. The whole thing was a nightmare. The reviews are based on your failures. You review yourself first then your supervisor counters your review so I guess its best to bash yourself. Also if your not part of the friend circle of your supervisor good luck. Your treated like an outcast and subject to micro managing like you wouldn't believe. Lastly on a company level. On a monthly basis sometimes more they interrupt production with political meetings with the whole staff. Put it in an email and I'll read it. Nope, there goes a half day listening to upper management blabber on and on while you dose off. Then waste tons of money on free food. Save it for bonuses and quit bribing people to show up to these upper management pat on the back sessions. They're all about sales, employees are just sheep there. BEWARE!!!

Let people socialize and talk. Reviews should be based on accomplishments and were you need to improve. Stop making it a mission during reviews to find all the faults and stepping over the positives. Lastly have some kind of incentives, there is no rewards for good work. Just reminders of what you need to improve on. One added note, FIX THE BACK ROAD TO THE BUILDING. Its turned one of my wheels into a oval. When I asked about it all I got was a laugh from the person in charge stating "Oh yeah it is bad isn't it". As if the cost of gas and other car maintenance isn't enough because of the distance it takes to get to University Park which is like going downstate for some. Take the money you spend on free water for the TENCON convention and pave the road.

Overall a good company

I have been working at Applied Systems full-time

Pros

Good pay, good solid benefits that start as of day-one. PTO great as well. Not a bad place to work overall.

Cons

Venture capital companies seem to purchase the company every 7 yrs or so, causing a bit of angst and turmoil. But apparently this is the norm with this type of company.

Care as much about your staff as you seem to about your profits/revenue