Applied Systems Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Last Refuge of the Desparate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Park, IL

I worked at Applied Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will be given substantial responsibility immediately. You will learn a lot about the software industry and the insurance industry. Most of the people you work with (non-management) are very willing to help and teach and are extremely sympathetic.

Cons

Non-management compensation and benefits are extremely stingy, which is the intended effect of ownership by private equity funds. You'll "get" time off, but you won't get to actually "take" time off. You'll think working yourself into an early grave, doing the work of four or five other people for years on end, and doing so with a smile on your face while your personal life falls apart will eventually pay off in commensurate compensation and perks, but it won't. Those are reserved for the old guard (who are only there because they won the ZIP code lottery back in 80s and 90s) and the newer absentee executives (who will move on and do the same thing they're doing to Applied the second something better comes along). Invests more time, money, and effort into parties, decorating, and PR than it ever will in developing the people who make it run on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Just be up-front with new hires on your compensation philosophy. That way, they'll much less disappointed when they realize they'll never rise above their starting pay or title.

2. All image, no substance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Park, IL

I worked at Applied Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mid-level and lower-level co-workers who haven't their spirits crushed yet are great to work with and want to do their jobs well. Good location if you live in the South Suburbs, but there is very little nearby. A solid way to get experience if you have absolutely no other options.

Cons

Management is top-heavy with: (1) lifers whose only real qualifications and experience were showing up on the right day and time decades ago, and apparent legitimization by shelf-life; and (2) itinerant executives with a history (and likely future) of simultaneously cutting operating costs on necessary and meaningful assets (i.e. employees) while at the same time igniting huge wads of cash on fire to pay for parties, needless facelifts to buildings and branding, acquisitions, and their own lifestyles (cars, houses, "executive retreats," etc.) Pay and benefits are borderline criminal, and will not be measurably increased no matter how hard you work and how many sacrifices you make in your personal life. Rules and policies are enforced completely arbitrarily and never seem to apply to your manager or his or her favorites or to legacies (just take a few minutes and count how many staff members share the same last name). There is always money for everything (revenues and profits are up every year) except salary increases for employees (who undeniably contribute to those higher revenues and profits). Bring up the outrageous degree to which you're undercompensated, and you'll probably get fired; your manager will probably try to fabricate a cause for termination, and after you see through the scheme, will lay you off with a few weeks' notice and an insulting amount of severance (and will try to get you to lie to your coworkers about why you're leaving so he/she doesn't look like the bad guy).

Advice to Management

We know you have to operate under the assumption that all employees are stupid and oblivious, but most of them can put two and two together. Give them a little credit and admit you're not sincere in your promises to try to change things, and that you're just biding your time until you and your friends move on and do the exact same thing to some other company that used to be a good place to work.

Sales

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Applied Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. A lot of folks have been there a long time. It is not unusual to have tenure of 15 to 20 years which is rare in software. These people are vested in the health of the company and have a lot of domain. There is a culture from the CEO down to "do the right thing" which is a main reason i have stayed with Applied over time

Cons

Base salary can be low but "on target earnings" at goal is commiserate with other software sales jobs. Especially as goals are attainable.

Advice to Management

As we grow as a company don't forget what made Applied great which is doing the right thing for the customer every time. We have maintained that value thru ownership changes

Look at all the people leaving instead of a couple good reviews

Current Employee - Support Technician in University Park, IL
    Current Employee - Support Technician in University Park, IL

I have been working at Applied Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have to write 20 words but there is no Pros to working here unless you know someone or have an in with someone in management.

Cons

Where to start? People are actively leaving the company because it really isn't a great company. The CEO told us to write a review because its clear only bad reviews were on here to try to up the reputation. They are only concerned about how they look but not what they do. Management has lost track of how to even perform a daily job, unless sitting there staring at a computer screen telling people to be on the phones is an actual job. No compensation for doing great work unless you are in sales so there isn't a point to even try to better your career. Management picks out favorites and doesn't promote people who actually put in the time and effort to deserve it. If you do one thing wrong you better believe that your life at Applied will forever be dictated on it instead of the thousands of good things you do great. You will get paid significantly less than anyone else in the same position at any other company. You will also make less than the new person just starting in your same current position because pay increases are horrible.

Advice to Management

Does it matter what we put here? They don't ever listen or else it would have changed by now. and people wouldn't be looking for other jobs. LEAD by example and don't tell people to do things you cant actively do yourself and have lost track of how to do it. Instead of buying a new company how about looking within to see that your structure is crumbling day by day and you will not have people to tell what to do anymore because they will all be gone. Listen to your employees and don't take the few good reviews out of thousands of employees as a good thing.

Support Technician

Current Employee - Support Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Support Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Applied Systems (More than 8 years)

Pros

I really don't have many pros except after about a year, you are able to work from home but not too often

Cons

Where to begin...don't make a career out of working here, turn over rate will prove it's not worth it. The location sucks, benefits suck, management, not all suck but customer support management sucks. They treat you like a child, always looking over your shoulder. They show favoritism and that's the only way to move up in that department. They don't respect loyalty. If you are a favorite, they will give you more things to do other than stay on the phones constantly.

Advice to Management

Show respect to your employees, stop acting like all are replaceable. Treat then like adults and if the position says you must be able to work with minimal supervision, stop micromanaging. Give better raises and be fair with all employees then maybe more will stay.

In response to other recent reviews...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Park, IL

I have been working at Applied Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm writing this because I think it is unfair to criticize the CEO for drawing attention to our Glassdoor rating. He encouraged everyone to write a review but his only comments were to be honest. What's wrong with that? So employees that are happy came on here and said how they felt and obviously employees that are very unhappy came on here to post as well. - transparency- regular company meetings discussing the goals and vision and success of the company - lots of surprise employee programs and "events": we now have a paid day for birthday, employee bbq, free bagels every Tuesday, end of year party, other various treat days, art program, etc - I find the benefits package average to good. I've had worse, I've had better. Paid time off is below avg for Canadian employees who are used to getting more paid vacation upon hire (we get 2 weeks) - there are a lot of good people who work here and there is a lot of depth in experience - there are many educational opportunities for those interested...just don't expect a pay increase as a result

Cons

-pay, at least for non-execs, is below average - they consider a lot of "promotions" lateral and don't award a pay increase - HR is pretty disappointing...not especially helpful, nor personable and my few friends that have needed assistance due to issues were basically told that they were at fault. - middle management is inconsistent. This means if you have one of the supervisors or managers that follow policies to a T, you may be disgruntled when you see others getting away with something that you cannot - those I know in Support feel underpaid and micromanaged. Many use Support as a stepping stone to get into the company and apply internally to transfer to other departments within a few years

Advice to Management

- hold management accountable for being consistent - when all you give is barely cost of living pay increases, you can't be surprised when people leave after getting a few years of experience

Applied Systems is an amazing company to be employed at.

Pros

They do thoughtful events throughout the year. The CEO has been known to surprise us with additional days off. Supervisors are nice as well as management. The company is growing and that is job security at its finest. Upper management of support is extremely personable and never makes you feel beneath them. They have gone out of their way to allow me to balance personal and career with understanding and patience. Applied employees are nice. I've met a lot of intelligent and very nice people that I will forever be friends with. Great company.

Cons

Every job has issues in one way or another, and of course Applied would be no different. However, it's the manner in which they address the issues that I respect. There is nothing I can say that is bad. I'm fortunate to be an employee especially with all our eggs in one basket.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing : )

Low pay, management plays favorites

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Applied Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work / life balance is nice. Almost never on call, rarely expected to work more than 40 hours / week.

Cons

Pay is low. You get what you pay for, when it comes to software development. They prefer the cheap, straight out of college kids, rather than knowledgeable / experienced. Raises were few and far between, and rarely spectacular. The culture was very much "do enough not to get fired, but don't go above and beyond because there isn't a point". Management also played favorites, promoting diversity candidates rather than those who had earned their stripes.

Advice to Management

Pay better. I ended up leaving for 2.5x the pay to do the same job elsewhere at a company that knows what the heck it is doing.

Meh

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Park, IL

Pros

People are great, and they care. Immediate manager cares. Great work-life balance. Like coming to work daily.

Cons

Pay is very low. Minimal if any annual reviews (broken process tied to averages to ensure everyone is average). Upper management is unreachable until they need you then it's clear off your calendar. Promotions are pre-selected...no development of people.

Advice to Management

Pay structure is terrible. Upper management needs to care about us more if you're not going to pay us better. I love working here, I believe in the CEO, but it seems that the uppers are making out with bonuses while us down here are just getting left to find a better paying job somewhere else. While I love my job and my co-workers I really can't imagine being here longer than 5 years due to the pay.

Glad to be here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Park, IL

Pros

I am very fortunate to be a part of this organization. Culture has changed since I first began and for the better! I am proud to be an Applied employee and encourage others to join our organization. I have made several referrals over the years and they have all stayed and been glad they joined us. Many people think that the grass is greener on the other side. I'm here to tell you, it isn't. Every company has it's ups and downs. Applied has many more ups than there are downs and for that I'm grateful. I look forward to coming to work. My relationships with my co-workers are friendships that will last a long time even past our days at Applied. We have a great story here. Built literally from the ground up and are now the leader in our industry. We the people here at Applied, ARE Applied. Our customers know it, our management team knows it. This truly is a great place to work!

Cons

In the past, salary has been an issue, however, I see Applied working hard to bring everyone up to market value and more. Below market value was former Applied, not current Applied. I see progress happening! You may not get paid as high as if you were in the city, however, there are SO many other perks for not working in the city that you get here to make up for the work/life balance you won't get in the city or other high paying jobs.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to those that make this company what it is. I see things happening to celebrate the people who ARE Applied and it is fantastic!

RSS Feed </> Embed