Applied Underwriters

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
2.4

Sidney R Ferenc

Pros
  • Quarter vending machines and decent benefits that only exist to try and suck you in (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits of you can tolerate the work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone gets the same meager COLA (cost of living adjustment) raise each year no matter if you're the hardest working employee or a slacker (in 6 reviews)

• No real direction from senior management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

As far as insurance companies go, this one is above average to work for

Current Employee - Product Underwriter in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Product Underwriter in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, a quarter buys you anything in the vending machines, very good benefits, central location, professional environment, good manager, relatively interesting work, free parking, good budgets.
    I've worked at Fireman's Fund and CNA and found AU to be the best of all three. I am not over-supervised, I respect my boss, the assignments are challenging, and staffing is done right so that you are not spending your entire life there. Lunch is brought in a lot for staff on Fridays, people are nice/polite, but not overly-friendly), I know exactly what is expected of me.

Cons

If you mess up, you will hear about it and it will make you never want to mess up again.
    Not a lot of socializeing with other departments - people stick only with those they know within their department.

An okay job.

I have been working at Applied Underwriters

Pros

Steady schedule. .25 cent vending machine. Decent pay for starting out. They tend to hire people right out of college.

Cons

No raises. No incentive to work hard, which means a lot of the "long-timers" have no drive and are content with just "staying put". This isn't the place to stick around if you see bigger and better things for yourself.

if you want your employees to stick around so you don't have deal with high turnover, try getting raises and other incentives for your employees.

Meh.

Current Employee - Worker Bee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Worker Bee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding Benefits---> Super Cheap Meds Delivered to your desk.
    A lot of hard-working, awesome people at the lower levels who make the job something to look forward to
    This company gives chances to people who otherwise may not get a chance to work in a professional environment.
    Enough work to keep you busy all day, which makes days go by very quickly.
    Did I mention the great healthcare benefits?

Cons

Most of the other people already mentioned the big ones

Listen and share the wealth

First job after college- Regret the years I spent there.

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Omaha, NE

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training program for workers' compensation (medical, benefits, legal, investigations, and overall nuances of work comp claims management). Good ongoing education provided (albeit boring and dry as can be when presented). There's an in-house pharmacy, so employees have access to discounted meds if needed.

Cons

Total lack of culture. No focus on personal development outside of the office. Grey, cubicle-based existence for all. Big-shot, ego-driven management. Lack of Interpersonal communication with others in the workplace, as you're encouraged to put your nose to the grindstone all day to keep up with your ever-growing caseload. Every aspect of your work performance is condensed to a number by a team of auditors and your supervisors; you are constantly micro-managed based on those metrics. Most employees are young and right out of college, so many don't realize that the grass is definitely greener elsewhere. My gut always told me so, but I didn't realize it until I finally left and worked for a better overall company.

Some aspect of improved motivation for employees is needed. Do a better job of incorporating discussions of personal development with employees (professional and beyond the workplace). Somehow improve the drab, cubicle-dominated aesthetic; this really wears on employees. Do away with incentives for team managers/supervisors based on their teams' number of claim closures each period. This system promotes a great deal of inequity among the people working in the claims department, as team supervisors quickly play favorites based solely on this system.

Something is wrong with this place

Current Employee - Worker Bee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Worker Bee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

25 cent vending machines, mail order pharmacy, great location in the heart of Silicon Valley.

Cons

There are two types of managers, those who think the worst of their employees, who think they are lazy and stupid, and thus need to be micromanaged and intimidated to do work by fear, and those who hire the right people, treat them like smart individuals who can be trusted, and welcome them into the business so they feel like they are a part of the company who will give their best to make it a great company.

Guess which type of managers Applied Underwriters is full of?

AUW Managers:
      - They are never ever wrong
      - They expect you to be just like them
      - They will always know more about how to do your job than you do
      - They will call you on your days off and after hours and expect you to do work
      - They are micromanagers
      - They are constantly changing their mind
      - Will constantly tell you the business is changing, and that they want things to be done differently. But they will never let anything change, and everything will always work the same
      - They have favorites
      - They are very quick to blame you for mistakes, but rarely express gratitude when you succeed

Listen to what people say, and take a look at why people are so miserable working for you. Either change things, or realize your company is on a one way trajectory down hill and won't last much longer.

Nah

I worked at Applied Underwriters

Pros

Pay is decent, benefits are ok, PTO is so-so, vending machines are cheap, coffee is free, the building is in a nice area.

Cons

Depressing company culture, not a good place to stay long-term as there is very little incentive, unrealistic expectations from management, "my way or the highway" management style, creativity is highly, highly discouraged, etc, etc.

In my opinion this company has tunnel vision, isn't progressive, and is too bottom line focused.

Attitude reflects leadership. How many talented people do you have to lose before you realize that it's not them- it's you? It costs your business more $ to retrain a new work force continuously than it would to retain a happy workforce.

And most importantly: Trust your employees and value their inputs, you hired them for a reason.

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time

Pros

The benefits are great, especially insurance.

Cons

The pay and raises are not great.

Not worth the time and headaches.

Current Employee - Senior Account Clerk in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Account Clerk in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have amazing benefits! Free health insurance for yourself, dental is cheap, they have 25 cent vending machines. PTO gradually accrues faster the longer you are there. I loved the people I worked with, you form a close bond when you hate something so much. It's hard to leave due to the benefits and pay.

Cons

I don't know where to start. Payroll is stuck doing 9 hour Wednesdays every single week but they are hounding you constantly to move faster but have a high accuracy rate (99.95%), which would be no big deal if you weren't constantly interrupted by co-workers, managers, and the phones, yes payroll doubles as customer service. Holiday weeks, good luck seeing family on days other than the actual holiday, 12+ hours a day make you wish you worked on the holiday itself. The PTO is nice, when your aloud to take it. Lets hope there is no family emergency or you need to go to the hospital and don't have the PTO to cover it, you will get written up and lectured about life emergencies. I wish I would have read reviews before starting this job, I would have never taken it.

Listen to the people below you. Maybe they have ideas worth looking at, they deal with the clients first hand and see day to day flaws in the company, pushing them aside because you always know what best is the biggest mistake you will ever make. Lecturing is not worth your time, the people working there are adults and don't need to be berated day in and day out. Also, Promote from within, so discouraging when employees have to train their managers.

Misogynist's Paradise

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

25 cent vending machine, fast elevators, great weather in the area

Cons

This company is a man's world. Women will never make as much as any of their peers, and will always be in lowly positions. The company dress code means women will dress so that they are attractive to the men who work here. Not one woman with even a mid level role, much less leadership. Never heard of one woman getting a promotion or even a raise. Male managers can say anything as seductive or inappropriate as possible, no one cares. Don't ever speak out or you'll be reprimanded for it. Even all the products the company sells are targeted towards men. It's like they don't even acknowledge that there's one woman who works in this industry, and that women were created to be wives and secretaries.

I'd say all the same things go for minorities, but there arn't really any that work here.

It's not the 1950s, update your policies. Woman are involved in not only the industry, but they can be great assets to a company. Don't treat they as eye candy for the men, but rather as having the same potential as anyone else. Update your sexual harassment and dress code policies. Women shouldn't be forced to wear skirts to work, and be subject to being slapped on the butt by managers.

You'll never make a bigger mistake than working here!

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free pharmacy, 25 cent vending machines, standard benefits.

Cons

10 days of combined PTO and sick means everyone comes into work sick. Everyone sits in a cubical in an ugly office building.

The best part is the managers who know absolutely nothing about what they are doing, and like to have absolute control over their workers. Come in 10 minutes late, you will hear it. Try and call in sick, don't even think about it, you have work to do! Make a suggestion to improve the company's performance, you are completely out of line. They will micromanage every little task you do. And they will make your life hell and no one ever will get a raise, or even complimented on their work.

There's absolutely no chance of career growth with this company, and after a while, you'll start looking at those 14th floor windows as a window to jump out of, as that's a better option that working here!

Listen to your workers. People are smart, maybe not as smart as you, but they do have something to offer, but only when it's a company they care about. Listen to your customers, there's a reason your business is failing.

Applied Underwriters Photos