Apprisen Financial Advocates

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael S. Kappas

Good job, decent wage, great benefits

Credit Counselor (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosmanagement is great and the job is straight foward. no micromanaging which is the best

Conswork hours are a little tricky and very structured work schedule is a drag, but hey, its a job

Advice to Senior Managementdevelop better recognition for the average workers

Promises made, promises broken

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are great. Counseling team and middle management team are dedicated and committed to good client services. Unfortunately, the exec. Management group is only looking for huge profits and completely undermines the hard work and community services provided by the remainder of the staff.

ConsWorking conditions, inconsistent management and no support from executive team- especially HR. I have known the management team for more than 15 years, and before I began working for them I considered them all friends and professional colleagues. However, after the ink is dry, things change (not for the better) dramatically. This organizations preaches one thing to the public and the non-profit credit/financial counseling industry, but once on the inside, it is something totally different. The CEO and COO are the most dishonest and deceitful people I have ever met and quite frankly, I am surprised there has not been more DoL and IRS audits on this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Board of Directors: take a good, hard look at your two top leaders in this agency and remember that at the end of the day, YOU are accountable.

Corporate takeovers and deplorable downsizing tactics is their MO. Non profit is questionable???

Financial Services Specialist (Former Employee) North Bend, OR

ProsGreat benefits and competitive wage. Nice retirement package.

ConsAs a financial literacy educator, and counselor, they made me a debt management program pusher. I worked an average of 10 hours a day and got paid for 7 1/2 straight time. I was rated on how many DMP's I was able to set up rather than the financial education I was able to provide.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf my Executive Director had known what you had planned for our local agency, she would never have agreed to the merger. Our board members are appalled at your tactics for closing us down after taking our bank accounts, our clients and finally firing our last counselor using unethical tactics. I know the truth, and so does the EOUST....Shame on all of you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for the community or the bottom line??

Credit Counselor (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsYou are helping clients start thinking about a plan for their financial future. You can also help them out of debt if a Debt Management Plan would be beneficial to their situations. The company also has a very good benefits package and gives 403b without requiring a contribution from the employee. Also a great health package for the whole family.

ConsManagement is not supportive to it's employees. They are driven to increase revenue at the risk of hurting their clients. Decisions are not made with the best interest of the community in mind. They are proclaiming to help clients but may actually hurt them if it means increasing revenue. They are a nonprofit company who considers profits above everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can not threaten employees and expect them to respect you or stay in your organization. If it is revenue that drives the business is it fair to pretend your a nonprofit?

It is ok but has low pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is nice helping individuals and families. The work environment is nice since you generally will have your own office.

ConsThey have good benefits but low pay. Advancement is unlikely.

More corporate than non-profit

Certified Credit and Housing Counselor (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay was decent and the benefits package was quite good. When i was there they were paying 100% of employee health insurance premiums. I also adored my coworkers; even though there were some pretty serious morale problems, we all stuck together and supported each other.

ConsFor a non-profit, it's extremely profit-driven. I felt like more of a salesperson than a financial counselor, and I felt that I was pressured to do things that weren't in the best interest of my clients. My "performance" was always being questioned because I wasn't forcing my clients into doing things that were bad for them but good for CCCS. Many members of middle and upper management are sneaky and will tell you what they think you want to hear without meaning any of it. I finally quit soon after they bypassed several qualified employees and hired a new local manager from outside. He was grossly unqualified, incompetent, and overcompensated. There was a mass exodus of counselors within a few months of my departure.

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn the focus to clients, not profits, and stop treating counselors like salespeople. Promote from within and be more transparent with employees.

From Non-Profit to Corporate?

ProsInteractions with clients that are truly seeking help, and appreciate the time, information and resources provided.
    The ability to make a real difference in the lives of those who are struggling with finances, housing issues, credit cards.
    Most of the employees are good hearted individuals, who wish to serve their clients.
    Profit sharing and a 403B

ConsThe company used to function like a non-profit with the focus being the clients. The focus has shifted to meeting numbers, and the way that the employees are reviewed keeps changing. Each time it changes, it is to the detriment of the employees and to the company. CCCS now feels like a corporation.

There are too many managers brought in who do not understand the jobs the employees are doing. Managers recruited from inside, who *do* know the job are paid substantially less.

The level of stress in the agency is very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally listen to the employees. Take time to understand their needs. Don't treat employees like production workers. If employees are treated like factory workers, the clients become mere merchendise to be shoved along, rather than receiving the degree of time and care that they deserve.
    Pay your employees more...not just money, but praise, rewards. A small thing like an hour off, or a treat at the end of a long week is SO appreciated.
    Look for the positive in your employees. Show them that you see the positive.

Worked for Apprisen Financial Advocates? Contribute to the Community!