Appriss

Michael Davis

Great company!

Former Employee - Intern in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Intern in Louisville, KY

I worked at Appriss as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Appriss is a growing company with substantial opportunity for growth. Due to their small size, there is plenty of room for creative innovation and much less "dogma" compared to other, larger organizations.

Cons

The biggest con that I observed is the lack of communication between different departments. Many of the departments act as separate entities without establishing a collaborative effort.

My advice to management would be to consider ways to improve the communication between departments, and make sure to hang on to the culture there as long as possible.

Changes

I worked at Appriss

Pros

Work life balance was ok

Cons

Constant "direction change" caused unneeded stress with employees

Solid Internship

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Louisville, KY

I worked at Appriss as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I took part in a Software Engineering internship at Appriss over the summer. On the positive side, the company has an interesting backstory that actually makes it seem that the company is working toward a mission they believe in rather than just serving corporate Kool-Aid. Everybody on my team was quite nice and helpful. I got to learn a new language while at the company, which is of course a plus going forward.

Cons

On the negative side of things, I just wish that I could have learned more during my internship than I did. I really didn't have Scrum stories that I was taking part in until the last few weeks of my internship. Sometimes it felt as if I was just getting scraped off some miscellaneous tasks that took no effort to get done. Other times it felt as if no help was available (actually, all things considered, these times were more beneficial as I was doing some self-guided learning).

N/A

Things Have Changed A LOT Over the Last 3+ Years

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Louisville, KY

I worked at Appriss full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Appriss always provides great flexibility for a great work/life balance. Hours were flexible to allow me to take my kids to or pick them up from school, have lunch with them during the week, and not feel like big brother was looking over my shoulder asking where I was. They trusted employees to get the job done and work they hours they needed to hit our goals.

Cons

Over the last several years, the culture has virtually disappeared. We used to do great things like family picnics, game day, company flag football, and 3-on-3 basketball tournament. Over the last several years I was there, all of those things disappeared over night, and other than the flexibility, they seemed to stop caring about employees and making Appriss a GREAT place to work that it once was. Their benefits are great, but when you compare salaries to other local companies, once they took away the culture, it was easy to see you could make a sizable jump in salary elsewhere.

Stick to the core values of making Appriss a GREAT place to work and you'll see the increase in turnover reduce to a crawl. Sadly, over the last 2 years I've seen more people with 5+ years of experience leave the company because of ripping the culture out from under our feet.

Employee of 1 year weighing in; positive experience

Current Employee - Tech in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Tech in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Appriss full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Pay and benefits are great
    -Lots of freedom and collaboration with boss when planning long term projects
    -Higher ups value input
    -Show appreciation for employees by sometimes bringing in catered food, gift cards, even a money blowing machine at the Christmas party
    -Lots of internal promotion, bosses don't seem to have any problem with interdepartmental moves either, no sour grapes or anything like that they just seem to want to help you succeed
    -A meritocratic feel

Cons

The IT structure is convoluted. Even just the naming structure of the many custom services and servers up and running are opaque, confusing, and nonstandardized. On at least a few occasions I recall getting admonished by superiors (not my boss though, Bob P. was a superb boss.) for confusions that only arose because of the byzantine naming conventions getting confused with the colloquial terms used internally to describe services and servers.

What's the long term future of the company? I see the growth in the many different services that you're branching out to but what's Appriss's exclusive value when compared to other data aggregate companies? My concern is that Google and Amazon could move into many if not all of the spaces currently occupied by Appriss in the coming decade or sooner.

Making a Difference Everyday!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Appriss full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's fun to work at Appriss - the people here are fantastic! This company has a purpose and we're creating better communities every day we go to work! I never have to muster up the energy to come to work and I'm working with really smart people! The benefits package is unbeatable these days; Appriss really cares about their employees and their health and financial well-being!

Cons

We are working on formalized processes, communication across departments, hitting target launch dates and a few other things but nothing you wouldn't see at any other company - - smaller or larger than Appriss.

Very successful company you've never heard of

I have been working at Appriss full-time

Pros

Innovative, constantly changing, exciting, leadership

Cons

constantly changing, lower than average comp, too many executive team members

Invest in skilled, quality employees to be more successful. Sometimes you need to spend more to make more.

Be part of a great growing company.

Current Employee - Field Services Engineer II in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Field Services Engineer II in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Appriss full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work-life balance is a great aspect of the company that is accomplished through ROWE. On the side of innovation with keeping communities safe and informed through our notification software.

Cons

As in every growing business the challenge of breaking out of "the way we used to do it" and adjusting to the new ways of conducting business.

Keep the employees in the know about what is is going on company wide, instead of hearing it from the rumor mill.

Great Mission-Keeping Communities Safe and Informed!

Current Employee - Client Relationship Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Appriss full-time

Pros

Work-life balance, flexibility in work hours, supported by manager, great camaraderie with co-workers, meaningful work with freedom to get the job done, impressive benefits package, company continues to grow amidst the recent/current economy.

Cons

If not in a technical position, limited availability for movement into higher positions. Company continues to grow so also comes lots of change. This in itself is NOT a con; however, those employees within the company that do not like change or are resistent to it tend to be an obstacle.

Continue to be open to interacting with the all levels of employees. This makes the feel of the company "small" while continuing to grow.

Great Company

I have been working at Appriss

Pros

I have been with the Company for many years. There are many Pros on working for Appriss, including culture, environment , and knowing that you are keeping communities safe and informed.

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to connect with co-workers who work remotely.