Appriss Reviews

Michael Davis

1. Great company!

Former Intern - Intern in Louisville, KY
    Former Intern - Intern in Louisville, KY

I worked at Appriss as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Appriss is a growing company with substantial opportunity for growth. Due to their small size, there is plenty of room for creative innovation and much less "dogma" compared to other, larger organizations.

Cons

The biggest con that I observed is the lack of communication between different departments. Many of the departments act as separate entities without establishing a collaborative effort.

My advice to management would be to consider ways to improve the communication between departments, and make sure to hang on to the culture there as long as possible.

2. Employee of 1 year weighing in; positive experience

Current Employee - Tech in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Tech in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Appriss full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Pay and benefits are great
    -Lots of freedom and collaboration with boss when planning long term projects
    -Higher ups value input
    -Show appreciation for employees by sometimes bringing in catered food, gift cards, even a money blowing machine at the Christmas party
    -Lots of internal promotion, bosses don't seem to have any problem with interdepartmental moves either, no sour grapes or anything like that they just seem to want to help you succeed
    -A meritocratic feel

Cons

The IT structure is convoluted. Even just the naming structure of the many custom services and servers up and running are opaque, confusing, and nonstandardized. On at least a few occasions I recall getting admonished by superiors (not my boss though, Bob P. was a superb boss.) for confusions that only arose because of the byzantine naming conventions getting confused with the colloquial terms used internally to describe services and servers.

What's the long term future of the company? I see the growth in the many different services that you're branching out to but what's Appriss's exclusive value when compared to other data aggregate companies? My concern is that Google and Amazon could move into many if not all of the spaces currently occupied by Appriss in the coming decade or sooner.

3. Making a Difference Everyday!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Appriss full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's fun to work at Appriss - the people here are fantastic! This company has a purpose and we're creating better communities every day we go to work! I never have to muster up the energy to come to work and I'm working with really smart people! The benefits package is unbeatable these days; Appriss really cares about their employees and their health and financial well-being!

Cons

We are working on formalized processes, communication across departments, hitting target launch dates and a few other things but nothing you wouldn't see at any other company - - smaller or larger than Appriss.

5. Great Mission-Keeping Communities Safe and Informed!

Current Employee - Client Relationship Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Appriss full-time

Pros

Work-life balance, flexibility in work hours, supported by manager, great camaraderie with co-workers, meaningful work with freedom to get the job done, impressive benefits package, company continues to grow amidst the recent/current economy.

Cons

If not in a technical position, limited availability for movement into higher positions. Company continues to grow so also comes lots of change. This in itself is NOT a con; however, those employees within the company that do not like change or are resistent to it tend to be an obstacle.

Continue to be open to interacting with the all levels of employees. This makes the feel of the company "small" while continuing to grow.

6. Be part of a great growing company.

Current Employee - Field Services Engineer II in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Field Services Engineer II in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Appriss full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work-life balance is a great aspect of the company that is accomplished through ROWE. On the side of innovation with keeping communities safe and informed through our notification software.

Cons

As in every growing business the challenge of breaking out of "the way we used to do it" and adjusting to the new ways of conducting business.

Keep the employees in the know about what is is going on company wide, instead of hearing it from the rumor mill.

7. Amazing Employer

Current Employee - Software Support Engineer in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Software Support Engineer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Appriss full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Knowledgeable, competent coworkers
    Driven, inspiring leadership and company message
    Flexible work environment, time off, etc
    Plenty of incentives for performance and even health (bonuses based on health maintenance)
    Everyone matters. I was in meetings with VP's and even the CEO the first week surrounded by people that immediately respected and listened to my voice

Cons

Almost a little too flexible of a work environment if you aren't careful
    Nothing else, really

Keep up the good work. I love working here.

8. Refreshing and Open- Everything they Claimed in the Interview

I have been working at Appriss full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Culture
    -Benefits (free Healthcare and flexibility to work from home!)
    -Transparency within all levels of the org.
    -Challenging work
    -Meaningful contribution to society
    -Good Compensation

Cons

The onboarding process has been a bit intimidating. The sheer number of internal systems that you have to be able to navigate is overwhelming- let alone the intricacies of each client. It takes a long time (from what I have heard) to overcome the learning curve.

Continue to reward your employees and invest more in our resources. The workload across the organization seems to be at capacity.

9. Great Place To Work

I have been working at Appriss full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, Culture, Healthy, Innovative, Growth, Onsite Clinic

Cons

Location, Office layout, No Gym, N

Appriss Response

Sep 5, 2013Vice President of Human Resources

We are currently reviewing the opportunity to add a gym to the Linn Station location in 2014. We have an on-site clinic that employees and their dependents can access free of charge..

10. Overall great place to work

I worked at Appriss

Pros

*Everyone's extremely nice and actually cares about you.
    *Good amount of training and support in case you have any question's or need help with something.
    *Well dressed
    *Professional
    *They go above and beyond to make you feel welcome

Cons

None, I loved this opportunity!

Talk to the other branches, make sure there is clear communication and every manager knows what's going on.

11. The best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Account Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Appriss

Pros

Appriss truly cares about its employees and is proud of the work we do to assist victims and law enforcement. The culture is relaxed and comfortable, and there is an open-door policy with senior management. The work, given its nature, can be stressful, but there is a predominant feeling of being supported by the team around you, and that helps a lot. I don't think I will ever work anywhere else.

Cons

The company is growing quite fast, which is a challenge as far as getting adequate training for new folks.

Focus a bit more on in-depth training.